Start by marking “Shattered” as Want to Read:
Shattered

Shattered

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  17,830 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
As Alex and Colin speed toward their new home in San Francisco where Courtney awaits them, they are pursued by a madman who is also eager to see Courtney.
Published January 1st 1985 by Turtleback Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.

Emily I bought my copy at Half Price Books. I've seen it there a few times since, at a couple different HPB stores.

Mark
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Shattered, a Dean Koontz novel written under a previous pseudonym, K.R.Dwyer (stating the obvious but simply his initials backwards). In a funny way I could call this a re-read as I bought it many years ago when it was first re-issued as a Dean Koontz title. This passed week I decided to head for some early Koontz and almost immediately realized that I have read this before. This time a review.

For those of you who have seen Spielberg's 1971 movie Duel, starring Denis Weaver, Shattered takes the
Edward Lorn
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
I was once a kid, and my mother had this epic hideaway called the Great Book Closet. Inside this cabinet of curiosities, I would be introduced to the likes of Stephen King and Robert R. McCammon and Dean R. Koontz. I also found some Peter Straub and John Saul in there, but that holds no bearing on our topic today.

What is today's topic? Well, the old Black/Neon Koontz books, that's what. This is the era of Koontz material that was released in paperback by Berkley books in the 70s and 80s. There a
Bettie☯

Description: RUN... OR DIE. The van was in back of them again. Closer this time. There could be no mistake--they were being followed.

RUN... OR DIE. But why? The question kept nagging at Alex and Colin as they left Philadelphia behind and sped toward their new home in San Francisco. Courtney would be waiting for the, ready to begin a wonderful new life with her husband, her brother...

RUN... OR DIE. Now, someone else is driving cross-country to see Courtney, too. Someone whose brain is rotting in
Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Maciek
"Shattered" is an early Koontz title (1973), originally published under a pseudonym - K.R. Dwyer. Alex and Colin are on the move to Courtney, Colin's sister - and Alex's wife. The trip from Philadeplphia and San Francisco seems to be going good, until Colin spots a van following them.

It's a short, but pleasant book. I enjoyed the setting - most of the book takes place on the road and in various motels. It's a nice book to spend 2-3 hours reading. The ending is a let-down, but it's rather common
Derek Gillespie
Good, simple story.
Bert
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was very much in keeping with a lot of my favourite movies from the Seventies, films like Duel, The Car, Race With The Devil, basically films where people get chased by maniacs in cars. And it had that post-Vietnam, post-Kennedy assassination paranoia and that sense of America in schism, all things i love, so i totally enjoyed this...but also it was obvs kinda trashy and not particularly stylish. This October i'm just going to read trashy horror. Or just trashy trash.
Steven Godin
Not the sort of thing I would normally read and this still remains the one and only Dean Koontz book that I have read to date, with so many novels under his belt it's a case of where on earth do you begin!. This was a pretty standard attempt at a cross country road thriller and ticks all the right boxes when it comes to tense and gripping thrills and chills but at no point does it break any new ground and in the end felt lame and predictable, reminded me a little of an early Steven Spielberg fil ...more
David Sodergren
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite an amazingly abrupt last chapter (wherein Koontz apparently forgets the premise of his own book), Shattered delivers plenty of good old fashioned pulp thrills.
I just wish Koontz would take things a bit further. You're writing horror, mate! Don't be shy!
Stephen Gallup
As sometimes happens on family vacations, things end up being too chaotic for me to do justice to the books I had packed along. Consequently, I cast about for something that can be read in a distraction-rich environment, and this time I ended up with Shattered.

(The only other time I've read a Dean Koontz novel was under exactly the same conditions.)

This one concerns Doyle, a young man driving cross-country with the 11-year-old brother of the woman he has just married. His bride has flown ahead
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
Summary:

Alex and Courtney just got married. Courtney is in San Francisco while Alex is in Philadelphia with he 11 year old brother Colin. Courtney is Colin's guardian ever since their parents died. The new family is now moving to California. Since Courtney is getting the house ready and got there early by plane that means Colin and Alex will drive the Thunderbird across country and maybe even bond a bit on the way.

George can't get his mind off of Courtney. Why did she leave him? How could she? A
Paul
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trashy-novels
Fairly standard fare, but only my second Dean Koontz. Reminded me a bit of the film Hitcher. The formula for a thriller is run through pretty well. Psychotic (or possibly just physically ill) ex-boyfriend. New love in life, new start on the other side of the country, cute child (in this case eleven year old brother), who is very intelligent but "difficult" in an undefined sort of way. Why not get the girl to fly to California and let the lads do a road trip to bond. Then psycho ex-boyfriend can ...more
Marsten
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
No me ha gustado.
Me esperaba más del bueno de Koontz.
La historia es muy simple, monótona, sin muchas sorpresas ni giros muy inesperados, aunque eso si, es directa, sin muchas concesiones a la introspección de los personajes ni a farragosas descripciones; en esencia, acción y diálogos.
El final no es nada original. Uno de los personajes, Colin, no es nada creible: el caval con once años parece demasiado maduro, adulto... Vale que lo pinta listo, pero tanto? Para más inri, la traducción es mala d
Peter West
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The story to shattered is nothing out of the ordinary, not cunning or fantastic in any way. It's just an ordinary tale like many others. What makes this book good, is the way that an ordinary tale has been told.

Koontz writes in a very natural way. There's no pretentious sentences, no attempt to be smart or brilliant, no corny people or events, he just tells you the story - plain and simple. The characters and story are so down to earth and believable that you don't even have to try to believe i
Solanaceae
Feb 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow I am still reeling from the shock...but sadly the shock comes only from having just experienced such an uninspired and poorly written story.

It's bland. The whole thing feels...just dull. So dull that I actually couldn't come up with a simile that would do the dullness justice. I'm sure Stephen King would have a field day with this though being the simile addict he is.

The characters are unrealistic (especially the 11 year old boy who basically talks and acts like an adult throughout) and th
Marnie  Krüger
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, adult
This being my first Koontz read, I was a tad disappointed. It was a very predictable tale and after chapter 2 I knew how the story would end. Not what I Expected! I was hoping for a Thriller-Mystery with a twist that would spin everything around and an ending that would leave me wanting more. After all the raves and compliments given to Koontz, I guess I picked the wrong story.

I did like Koontz’s writing style nevertheless and I will try some of his other work, just not very soon.
Robjr73
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz
Soooo much better than Breathless or TickTock (2 of my more recent bad Koontz reads). This book is intense from page 1 til the end. Nothing unique about the story itself (psycho ex boyfriend stalks woman's family) so for that reason it's hard to give it five stars but Dean executes this baby well. These are the kind of books that MADE Koontz the "other big author who's name begins with K"
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Koontz is almost solely responsible for my horror obsession. Before I found out about all the other amazing writers now gracing (weighing down to the point of bowing) my bookshelves, I read Koontz. His writing has gotten softer with age and his books now keep piling up in my TBR list, but I am a loyal fan and the man can write.
Rebecca McNutt
Really creepy, Dean Koontz' books are usually of this genre but Shattered seemed to me to be a cut above many of the rest with its originality and eerie imagery.
Lisa M.
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Leslie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Dean Koontz, but this was not my favorite. Very predictable.
Cody
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz
Shattered gets to the point faster than any other Koontz novel, and that's saying something. The plot here is a simple one: Alex Doyle and his young brother-in-law are traveling cross-country to San Francisco, where his wife and new home wait. A van is following them and seems to know everywhere they plan to eat and spend each night. No matter how many times they try to lose the stranger driving the van, he always ends up on their tail.

Originally published in 1973, this is a very short novel th
Alie
Alex Doyle is a 20 year old something man on his way to San Francisco. With him, is his girlfriends younger brother Colin. Colin and his older sister, Courtney, are still recovering from the deaths of there parents. Courtney is already at their home, waiting for Alex and Colin to make their trip across the desert and reach their new home. But they turn out having an unexpected horrifying trip there.
As Alex and Colin travel deeper into the desert, they discover a man does not want them to reach
Tee Jay
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dean Koontz fans who want to check out his writing from early in his career.
Shelves: thriller
When I first picked up Dean Koontz’s Shattered, I thought, What the hell, maybe this will be okay. I was not sure what I would be getting. It was a very early Koontz novel, and I could not tell whether or not it would be good when I skimmed the pages in my favourite used book store, Allison the Bookman. It just had one of those cheap 80s thriller covers that once were considered modern, but now look completely dated twenty years later and dog eared. However, I learned long ago never to judge a b ...more
John
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Story-wise, I'm hard-pressed to think of any book that's less ambitious than SHATTERED. The plot is color-by-numbers simple, utterly predictable, and uncomfortably similar to that of the Richard Matheson/Steven Spielberg film, DUEL, which had been released in its first incarnation on TV just a short time before SHATTERED was published. Despite having a schlocky cover done up in true horror style, the book is remarkably tame--almost like the Hallmark Channel version of a horror story. Lots of fam ...more
Joshua Jorgensen
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly engaging. Dean Koontz knows how to deliver suspense in page-turning, terrifying doses. I read this book in three hours. The plot is nothing unique, but Koontz is a brilliant writer.
Alex Doyle and 11 year old Colin are on a road trip from Philadelphia to San Francisco, where Colin's sister Courtney (and Alex's wife) is waiting in their new home.
Along the way, they notice a van that is following them. What ensues is a cat and mouse game, featuring a psychopath and some real suspenseful a
Mell
May 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first "adult" fiction novel I read by choice. I read this at 15. Is that sad? Up until then, I read a lot of Christopher Pike. Late bloomer, I guess. This book will always be my sentimental favorite as it opened up the door to... books? Same reason Koontz will always be my favorite author. The story itself is good. I mean, it's a thriller by a popular author so it's a little predictable and all that, but it's a decent read if you're bored.
Dan
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never really picks up and grabs you. It's easy enough to just breeze along with it and kill 200 pages of time, but I also could have stopped reading at any point and never wondered what happened to Doyle and Alex.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while some books are top-notch thrillers that grab you, this one is a Lifetime movie, minus the strong female protagonist.

Also the end went by WAY too fast. No build up, no red herrings, nothing. Just wham, bam, thank you, Dean.
Nicholas Beck
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz
D.
Aug 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fairly generic suspense novel about a man and his step-son on a cross-country trip. Not a lot of shocks, but fairly suspenseful at times. It was probably pretty effective when it was written in 1973, but it hasn't aged particularly well.
Koontzland - Dean...: Shattered (Group Read - July 2013) 24 24 Aug 03, 2013 09:01PM
  • The Face of Fear