Start by marking “10 Little Ninjas” as Want to Read:
10 Little Ninjas

10 Little Ninjas

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
*From Publisher's Weekly*

"Karen Greenberg and Melanie Cecka at Knopf have acquired Miranda Paul's10 Little Ninjas, a "sensei-tional" picture book twist on a childhood rhyme, in which a group of not-so-sleepy ninja toddlers devise ways to sneak, creep, and tumble their way out of going to bed. "
32 pages
Published August 9th 2016 by Knopf (first published March 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about 10 Little Ninjas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Little Ninjas

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
A very cute spin on 10 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. We adored 10 Little Ninjas. The illustrations are wonderful. This is my son’s favorite book right now. It’s cute, rhyming, and full of fun characters! I love how each page is a new imaginative adventure the children go on, before nodding off to bed.

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure
Jillian Heise
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Counting picture book starting with 10 ninjas in the rhyming of Ten Little Monkeys..., but in this tale, the kids are different things on every page/number.
extraordinary ordinary whimsy
I was skeptical about this book. I thought it would be a simple counting book and well below my daughter's reading level. But it's funny, cute, has great illustrations, and (this mama's favorite part) it introduces your kids to lots of cool vocabulary. Words like dozed, struggling, swooped, trekking, thwacked, revving, and zooming mean my little reader is learning while having fun and imagining her self in every scene. It's a book your kiddo can grow with and share with their kid sister. Some ch ...more
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
This book was more of a 3.5 star for me, but, my 6 year old loved it and made me read it a couple times, so it got bumped to a 4. Fans of 5 Little Monkeys and 10 Little Monkeys and so on will recognize the formula. For this book though, it changes with the number from ninjas to race car drivers to pirates and so on. Some of the rhymes were either clunky or repetitive in their efforts to rhyme. Illustrations were cute and it would be good for a fan of the 'monkeys jumping on the bed'.
Stefanie Kellum
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
*I read a digital ARC of this book from the publisher.
Mr. Salerno
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm happy to participate in Multicultural Children's Book Day for the second straight year. This year I was sent 10 Little Ninjas by Miranda Paul and Nate Wragg courtesy of Alfred A. Knopf books. What a fun take on a familiar story that makes for a great interactive read aloud that provides plenty of opportunity for role play and imagination.
#readyourworld
Multicultural Children’s Book Day 2017 (1/27/18) is in its 5th year and was founded by Valarie Budayr from Jump Into A Book and Mia Wenjen fro
Susan
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A counting book, a playful rhyme, a new imaginative scene on every page, a few new words introduced, bright colors, parents who love their children and fun on every page—a recipe for a perfectly fun read!

Ten children sneak out of bed for a little fun. First they pretend they are ninjas, then they take a trip in outer space as astronauts, then they race around the track and one by one the children begin to return to bed—sort of. Action lives on every page until all the children are finally in bed
Katie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, storytime
Fun adaptation of the song "10 little monkeys jumping on the bed". Each number is a different child imagination, from ninjas to pirates to astronauts. I thought it was funny how the papa always called someone who was always the mama-but at least the papa is in this version. At the end 10 little children are asleep in their bed. The illustrations are well done, and the text has excellent rhythm. You can read this, chant it, or sing it and the words will follow the tune without being awkward.

Most
Marfita
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Where was this when I was doing my Ninja storytime?
This book can be used with a multitude of themes, if you're the theme-oriented storytime type. There are 10 ninjas jumping on the bed, 9 astronauts, 8 race drivers, 7 tigers (I've got a tiger storytime too), 6 cowboys, 7 reef sharks (hurray for shark storytime!) as well as firefighters, pirates, and dragons! Each group is doing something different that gets one of their number eliminated and requires an authority figure (sheriff, lifeguard, capt
Christine Irvin
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's time for bed, but the little ninjas are not tired. They're slipping and sliding and swinging out of bed. Can Daddy and the sensei get them to settle down?

This is an adorable counting book. Instead of going from 10 little ninjas to 9 little ninjas to 8 little ninjas, etc., author Miranda Paul has changed things up a bit. After the first little ninja gets tucked into bed, then their are 9 little astronauts and then 8 little race car drivers, etc.

Kids will enjoy the many different antics of t
Gail Gauthier
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The repetition of the classic Ten Little Monkeys story catches readers'/listeners' attention. But the writer and illustrator of 10 Little Ninjas bring a feminist twist to their version. Maybe I'm just reading that into it. Nonetheless, I may be getting this for a very young female family member."

Excerpt from Original Content.
Tori
10 children play pretend while continuously sneaking out of/getting sent back to bed. Using the rhythm of "5 little monkeys jumping on the bed", the author counts down from 10 ninjas, 9 astronauts, etc. Cute illustrations, easy rhythm, and appearances by cowboys, pirates, dragons, and more make this a good candidate for storytime.
Peggy Archer
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not your typical '10 little monkeys jumping on the bed' book! Though it follows the same format, readers will be surprised each time they turn the page. From little ninjas to prowling tigers to sleepy dragons, one by one they fall asleep. The fun surprise is seeing mom and dad in each scene. A great book for bedtime--or daytime!
Ryan
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Another semi typical retelling of monkeys on the bed. The difference is each time what the kids are doing changes. At first they are ninjas, then space explorers, race card drivers, dragon slayers, etc. The story is fin, but some of the rhymes are harsh and loose the sing song quality of the tale.
DeA
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute book that plays on the song "10 Little Monkeys." Each number is a different and unique just like the little children jumping out of bed. I loved that illustrations, which are soft and pleasing to read anytime but especially for bed. Recommend to anyone who has or works with young children.
CharityJ
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great twist on the "5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed"! Super cute, great use of language, funny and its got all the great characters of childhood: astronauts, pirates, ninjas, etc. Makes for a great readaloud. Love it!
Emily
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
It’s cute, but the inconsistency of theme threw me off guard. I wish it would have stuck with ninjas. Or maybe if the kids fell asleep one by one and the kids that were awake kept playing, it would make more sense. Basically, it was all over the place and didn’t have good transitions.
Janet
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angie Quantrell
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever rhymes turn 5 Little Monkeys into 10 Little Ninjas (who fight to stay out of bed). Fun!
Sara Lang
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute 10 little monkeys-ish story for K-1
Molly
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, juv
Read this at the SWON Picture Book Read-In.

Variation of 10 little monkeys jumping on the bed.
Neurocomp
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
thought this was just another 5 little ducks...tpye of book...but it was so much more and entertaining for the nphew.
Syntha Green
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Really likes this as a storytime possibility
Lindsay
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like this variation on "5 Little Monkeys." I feel sorry for those parents though...
Angela
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A cute counting backwards, bedtime book in Five Little Monkeys style. This book is REALLY popular at our local library.
Calvin
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read at Arnold Library Storytime with Amy
Kari
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the remake! My little one already knows the rhyme so she got a big kick out of the change up!
Robin Korb
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This picture books counts down from ten to one in a very imaginative and funny way. The illustrations add more depth to the already wonderful text, giving children a delightful bedtime story.
Brigitte Brulz
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This reminded me of 10 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, but it had a lot more going on than just monkeys (or ninjas in this case). It counts from 10 to 1 with the kids in the story acting out a variety of roles. Cute rhyming throughout that may make little ones laugh. It's fun to watch the different characters that the mom becomes as she tells the little ones to go back to bed.
Read  Ribbet
10 Little Ninjas is less about NInjas and more about a group of kids distracted from going to bed with all their roleplaying as other things from pirates to cowboys making mom and dad more than a little bit frustrated. Using a traditional counting book format (from 10 -1), makes for a fun bedtime story (and some potential classroom uses.)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Miranda Paul has worked as a teacher, volunteer zookeeper, and freelance writer--among other things. She is passionate about creating stories for young readers that inspire, entertain, and broaden horizons. Miranda is also a thrill-seeker, and one of her bravest moments involved reciting poetry from inside a crocodile pit. (Yikes!)

In addition to being a picture book author, Miranda is a team membe
More about Miranda Paul