Start by marking “Asesino real (Trilogía del asesino, #2)” as Want to Read:
Asesino real (Trilogía del asesino, #2)

Asesino real

(The Farseer Trilogy #2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  136,365 ratings  ·  3,919 reviews
El joven Traspié Hidalgo se convierte en el catalizador que habrá de alterar la trayectoria de una casa real en grave peligro, en este estremecedor relato del reino costero de los Seis Ducados. Traspié ha sobrevivido a su primera misión peligrosa como asesino del rey, aunque al final ha salido muy mal parado. Maltrecho y resentido, se propone quebrantar su juramento al rey ...more
Published July 2014 by Plaza & Janés México (first published March 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Asesino real, please sign up.
Hellz Pearson-Child Yes the books is clean in all these standards. There are battle but they are not described much in detail or with much gruesome, as the story is the…moreYes the books is clean in all these standards. There are battle but they are not described much in detail or with much gruesome, as the story is the focus of Fitz's growth and also his work as an Assassin not a warrior. Sex is referenced in the book but it is not described via foul language or strong innuendo. They last less than a paragraph and is described with complete taste from the point of view of someone looking back on the emotions and bond of such a commitment, not the physical act. (less)
Christina I think it did a nice job getting the reader up to speed. It starts off in the same place the first ended, and in doing so briefly sums up what the…moreI think it did a nice job getting the reader up to speed. It starts off in the same place the first ended, and in doing so briefly sums up what the situation is and what got them there. A brief internet search to remind you who the main names are will help. (less)

·  136,365 ratings  ·  3,919 reviews

Start your review of Asesino real (Trilogía del asesino, #2)
Petrik
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hell yes for Fitz bond’s with Nighteyes and hell no for Fitz’s relationship with Molly.

I’ll elaborate on those two in a while. I’ll be honest here, throughout the first 75% of the book, I seriously thought this would’ve been a 3 stars read for me; that changed during the last quarter of the book, which was simply breathtaking. Like the previous book, Royal Assassin is still totally a character-driven book with a very slow pacing; sometimes even dragging to me who’s a fan of slow-paced books and I’m pretty
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread of paperback for Tome Topple. Changed my star rating from 4 to 5.

All the stars for Nighteyes as I am the wolf lover

I know I don't need to be listening to first time books on audio. I know, I know, I know. But I'm trying to save my eyeballs so I'm reading whatever they have on Overdrive and doing my re-reads through audible and Overdrive until I get them on audible. Why am I rambling about this?! Well, the reason
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Sometimes,” Chade observed, “It would be much easier to die for one’s king than to give one’s life to him.”

Well, if that isn’t the bitter truth then I don’t know! It’s been more than a week ever since I finished this book and my feelings are still all over the place. I swear the last time I felt as agitated as I am feeling right now was when I finished reading “The Kite Runner”. I’m sure by now you’re asking yourself what do “The Kite Runner” and “Royal Assassin” have in common? And the ans
Andrés
I will rant about this book, there's no doubt in my mind. I'm simply trying to gather my thoughts. Let's try with the first book, "Assassin's Apprentice," shall we?

I liked Book I. It was a beginning story, a training story. Young FitzChivalry is the bastard son of King-in-Waiting Chivalry and has to come to terms with a world that doesn't want him. King Shrewd, however, decides to train him as an assassin from an early age, and so begins young Fitz' journey into adulthood and the int
James Tivendale
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Wolves have no kings."

Minor spoilers may follow. After being poisoned in the Mountain Kingdom towards the end of Assassin's Apprentice, Fitz is a broken and crippled shell of his former self. He swears to himself that he will no longer be one of King Shrewd's men and will not return to Buckeep. The day before Burrich and Hands are set to venture back to the capital Fitz has a sort of fever dream. Without him truly understanding he finds himself Skilling and resurfaces in the King's body as he
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Often times, I'm a little hesitant when I pick up older Fantasy. I haven't read an abundance of older Fantasy books, but I have discovered from the few I have read that I'm not always a fan of the "Classic" feel. It can be tropey & predictable & even campy, but it really just depends so I never like to let my hesitations keep me from giving things a try!

Even after a 3 star beginning to the Farseer Trilogy, I'm really glad I continued on with the series.

Royal Assassin stepped up to fill in all the places where I wanted more from Assassin's Apprentice.

Yes, the pace is still slow. But I found myself 100% invested in what was happening in each & every scene.

Yes, Fitz is still a poster boy for suffering. But the foundation provided by the first installment created an attachment to Fitz's well-being that makes his suffering meaningful for character growth.

Yes, the setting is still largely at Buckkeep. But the political situation & Regal's continual scheming have developed into a formidable creature with many facets to address & thus, Buckkeep castle is an appropriate center point of the conflict.

The character development for both minor & major characters is off the charts in this installment. Lady Patience, Burrich, Molly, Chade, Kettricken, Verity, and The Fool experience some wonderful growth that expands on the social condition of Fitz's life.

Seeing him forge his relationships while balancing his promises of loyalty, the attacks of the Red Ship Raiders, the Forging of Six Duchies folk, and figuring out how his Wit and Skill will best serve the Realm was quite a treat.

I also want to mention that the addition of a character named Nighteyes is a huge plus & provides some extraordinary complexity to Fitz in ways I can't explain without spoiling parts of the book!

Whereas before I didn't feel myself fully connecting to the story, this time around I was totally engaged & on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen. Each scene felt immediately important to the overarching conflict or to developing a critical piece of characterization. This with the addition of a couple new characters makes for a narrative that feels complete & satisfying.

I've said it before, but I must say again just how excellent Hobb's writing is. Dialogue, description, action, you name it, she can write it masterfully. It flows like honey without being superfluous & I can say without a doubt it's one of my all time favorite writing styles among the many authors I've read.

And this may sound strange, but this book in particular has some of the most beautifully & tastefully written scenes of intimacy that I have ever read in my entire life. If all such scenes were written with this degree of skill I'd probably never find them intrusive (as I often do).

I knocked off half a star because I feel like by this point in the story I should be more familiar with the magic systems of The Skill and The Wit. There's plenty of experience with both forms of mental magic through Fitz, but I feel like they remain ill-defined as far as magic systems go. It doesn't feel detrimental to the story largely because of the First Person POV, we experience the magic in the same way Fitz does (without much of a clue). But I still wish I understood the fundamentals a bit better than I do after spending so much time in this world.

Altogether a splendid upgrade from the first novel. My investment in the characters & story has grown exponentially & I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this story pans out!
❄️Nani❄️
4.75⭐

The things we go through for books...

The mental strain, people!

RTC
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Fitzchivalry really does feel sorry for himself. He is very whiney at times, and this is often misinterpreted as self-indulgent uselessness. But, in my opinion, that’s completely unfair. Resting on his shoulders is a whole host of burdens. They would, no doubt, overcome a lesser man. Every decision he makes is hindered by his obligations. Indeed, nothing is easy for Fitz; he is restricted by his position in the world. This doesn’t make him useless, but limited in the actual paths he can take. So ...more
Dana Ilie
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dana by: Simona Vlad
The pace of Assassin's Apprentice was slow. In Royal Assassin, the pace of the story is even slower. Despite the slow pace, this book (and its predecessor) managed to stay my interest in the story. The world building in this book is done brilliantly. The author vividly depicted a life at the royal court, with colorful narratives and a carefully executed, suspenseful plot.

The characterization in this book remains a strength worthy to be praised. The characters in this book are believa
Samir
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starting a middle book of the series is never an easy endeavor, especially if you loved the first book because there are certain expectations and funny thing about expectations is that no matter how small they are, there is always a possibility they won’t be met. My only expectation for Royal Assassin was it to be at least as good as the Assassin’s Apprentice. This book didn’t just exceeded my expectations, it also solidified this series as one of my favorites and I have yet to read the conclusion and the followin ...more
Sean Gibson
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proposed alternate title: FitzChivalry Farseer and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day (Year, Life, etc.)

On one hand, this feels like a three-star read: for an epic fantasy book (and series), not much happens, (certainly not much that feels very epic), there’s a paucity of truly intriguing villains (and no monsters), and the magic system is not particularly well defined. Plus, as suggested by the proposed alternate title above…man, poor Fitz just gets constantly pummeled in
Lema
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
[4.5 stars]
I got cheated, I thought that this is a nice boring story about a nice boy with a nice doggy who grows up to be a nice assassin in a nice castle. Well no one freaking mentioned all the angst and feels and the shit that goes down, and that spawn of Satan, Regal that needs to choke on a fish bone and die a most horrible death!!

description

Okay okay, let me take a breather and try to be coherent.. Obv
Markus
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fantasy
Buddy read with Alexa!

Come, hunt with me, the invitation whispers in my heart. Leave the pain behind and let your life be your own again. There is a place where all time is now, and the choices are simple and always your own.
Wolves have no kings.

After the harrowing experience in the Mountain Kingdom, FitzChivalry returns to Buckkeep and the Farseer court. Having barely survived his first real mission as a royal assassin, Fitz first vowed to renounce his oath to King Shrewd and abandon the s/>Come,
Chris
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap, that was a good book. I made the mistake of reading until past my bedtime to finish. Not only did I lose some sleep before starting a work week, but I then gave myself a series of messed up dreams as my poor little brain processed the end of this book.

Damn.

Not a lot I can say without spoilers. But Hobb is definitely moving up a few spots on my author list. Assassin's Apprentice was a very good book. Intriguing characters in a (seemingly)simple but interesting world with
Deborah Obida
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult
That was incredible! I have no idea how to even begin this review because this book was perfect. The plot is one of a kind and the writing is so compelling, its my favourite thing about this series. Robin Hobb writes a classic type fantasy that is very comprehensible and addicting, The world is perfectly depicted. The politics is very well incorporated in the book, and it is a major factor of Fitz's story.I so much love the character development of all the characters especially the newest additi ...more
Helene Jeppesen
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this second book of The Farseer Trilogy being a little bit sceptical. I'd heard a lot of people claiming that it contains too many pages and a lot of dull passages. I do see where those people are coming from, but even though not every page is action-filled, I still really really enjoyed it.
In this book, I grew even more attached to Fitz as well as the heavy cast of characters that are introduced in this sequel. I felt like Robin Hobb juggled a lot of more balls in this story which
Anish Kohli
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
“Are you sure you’ve not had a bad dream?”
“If I have, it’s lasted most of my life.”
Let me start the review by saying something very, very heartfelt: DAMN YOU, Hobb! Damn you! Not in a bad way bcz of course I love you. But damn you, woman!! Have you no heart? Dammit!! My poor Fitz!!

Gosh, this book is so so character centric that I dare say I have never read a book like this before and I barely know how to review it. It’s been well over a month since I finished the book and I just don’t know how to review it bcz I wanna
Jody
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me long enough, but I finally finished this. Robin Hobb has her own unique writing style that makes Fitz and his story a true fantasy classic. Full review to come!
Alexa
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Markus! Who unlike me, wrote a coherent and thoughtful review you can read here.
----------------
752 pages.

This book was 752 pages long.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

Dune is less than 752 pages.

If you combine The Fellowship of the Rings and The Two Towers together, it's still less than 752 pages.

And in both cases, even with the comparable page count they managed to condense a LOT of story between their covers.

In this case we had 752 pages of fille/>ARE
Apatt
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and rest of the The Realm of the Elderlings series are very highly rated on Goodreads scoring 4+ average rating for each individual volume. Very few fantasy series can boast this kind of average rating. Ms. Hobb also does a great job of promoting her books by interacting with her readers through social media websites like Reddit. I find her to be friendly and approachable and always happy to recommend books by other authors.

Royal Assassin is the second book of the Farseer Trilogy and follo
Scott  Hitchcock
Simply not as good as the first one. The last third was good but the first two-thirds the only good scenes involved Nighteyes or the Fool. While the court just went on and on without any real action. I usually like reading a series straight through but I'd recommend not doing that with this one. Book one and the first two-thirds of book two are just too much of the same. The last third redeemed it for me and I will read the last book since without giving anything away it will have to be differen ...more
Paul O'Neill
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect in every way! The best thing I've read all year. For those waiting for Winds of Winter, this is what you should be reading.

Fitz, the main character is one of the best in all fantasy. The writing is excellent and Bradbury-esque in places without being over long. No sentence is wasted. The world is intriguing and speaks of greater things to come and what a bloomin' ending!!!

Bravo Hobb. You've earned yourself a lifetime fan with this one.
Kaora
The exercise for centering oneself is a simple one. Stop thinking of what you intend to do. Stop thinking of what you have just done. Then, stop thinking that you have stopped thinking of those things. Then you will find the Now, the time that stretches eternal, and is really the only time there is. Then, in that place, you will finally have time to be yourself.

Royal Assassin continues the story of FitzChivalry, the bastard son of a prince living as the King's assassin in the kingdom of the Six
Vivian
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Like some other reviewers said, this is an incredibly depressing book. I basically skimmed the last third waiting for something good to happen to Fitz (the main character). The "good" guys all know who the bad guy is (Royal), yet still manages to passively ignore that he may be behind EVERY bad thing that happens thus allowing him to achieve his every evil deed. I don't need 600+ pages of overly stupid characters. I know it's a trilogy and eventually, good more or less prevails over evil but ugh ...more
Penny
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After re-read:
I think the thing I love most about Goodreads is seeing what I thought of a book shortly after having read it. I forget details but usually remember the feeling a book leaves me with. In this case, my opinion has not changed at all. This book was heavy, but (as I said in my original review) the author gives you enough small victories that it doesn't become too hard. I get that conflict is at the heart of almost every story, but it can get to be too much for me sometimes to se
Solseit
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a slower paced book, focusing on Fitz and Kettricken who i start to admire and love as a character.

The vast majority is a 3.75 book, is a good book but nothing sensational. Until one gets to the last third of the book when the world is rocked, the story becomes so intense, the events unfold so quickly that one is left breathe-less for most of the chapters.
An incredibly persuasive ending of the book that elevates the book to a 4 star for me!
Natalie Monroe

My feels are too scattered to assemble any kind of coherent review, so here are random thoughts:

-Fitz, my love, I'd like to bundle you in a blanket and take you far, far away from the Six Duchies. He's a bit angsty at the start, but who can blame him after what happened in the Mountains? Also, puberty.

-I am undecided regarding his relationship with Molly. On one hand, it
Hanne
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Robin Hobb knows how to surprise. Not the jump-out-of-the-cake-type of surprises, but she plays with your feelings as a reader. You get this dreaded feeling, and you start thinking that surely she is not going to go there…? And yet, she does. She plays with her characters like cats play with mice.

I really liked book two of this series. The only reason it does get the full five stars is because I struggled with believability in a big part of the middle section. The fact that Regal can do whateve
Mike (the Paladin)
Oh good grief!!!!! I'm only a little way into this book but I'm already sick of the main character's whining. He sounds like Thomas Covenant. If this keeps up I don't know if I can take it.

"woe is me, I'm in such bad shape, I got such a raw deal...oh poor me". Of course he said he didn't want anyone to pity him...but you couldn't tell it from the way he sounds. Hope this changes.

**********************************************

Well, I'm through this one and about half way through the
Sanaa
Oct 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 Stars] I am so conflicted about this book. I loved the beginning and the end of this book, but the middle was really flat for me. I think when you sit down and look at the details of this book like the writing, the character development, the subtle things Robin Hobb does in each chapter to really bring this story to life it is really phenomenal. When you step back and look at this book as a whole, however, I think it is overall too long, repetitive, anti-climatic, and almost like a filler b ...more
2019 & 2020 Readi...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Royal Assassin (Farseer #2) 11 27 Aug 07, 2019 07:29AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Royal Assassin [Feb 25, 2019] 98 43 Mar 29, 2019 02:09PM
Play Book Tag: Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb- 4* 5 18 Jan 22, 2019 10:13AM
Beyond Reality: Royal Assassin: Finished reading (spoilers)! 14 39 Jan 18, 2019 09:41AM

• The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • Lord of Emperors (The Sarantine Mosaic, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more

The Farseer Trilogy (3 books)
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
  • Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
“The man who must brag for himself knows that no one else will” 237 likes