Start by marking “All We Left Behind” as Want to Read:
All We Left Behind

All We Left Behind

For fans of Simone Elkeles and Courtney Summers, this haunting debut novel is about two teenagers battling their inner demons as they fall in love for the first time.

When Marion Taylor, the shy bookworm, meets sexy soccer captain Kurt Medford at a party, what seems like a sure thing quickly turns into a total mess. One moment they’re alone in the middle of a lake, igniting
Published December 1st 2015 by Simon Pulse

Stacee
First off, if I would have realized there was going to be sexual abuse in the plot, I would have never requested this.

I made it 35% of the way in before I started skipping around. It was enough to find out what was going on {even if it's presented in a really disjointed way} and realize that I didn't really care what the outcome was.

Marion and Kurt could have been interesting characters, but it don't feel like we really got to know them. The grief that they're both drowning is overwhelming. An
Iwriteya
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written debut novel by Ingrid Sundberg delivers real teen choices.

Marion carries the weight of a secret that she tries her hardest to forget but it's always there- under the surface and at moments breaking through into her life.

Kurt feels the loss of his mother, and doesn't acknowledge the truth, while his sister struggles with addiction and his father addresses his families' needs.

Marion and Kurt connect immediately. Romance always draws me in. Passion and young love has you flying
Kristin

Intriguing...  that about sums it up for me.  This wasn't a traditionally written love story between two teenagers with pasts.  There was almost too much happening for me to keep track of all the characters' problems!  At times I found the language of one of the characters hard to read.  At other times, a certain character begged me to toss her in front of a moving bus.  I think perhaps this book tried too hard to hit it out of the park and ended up hitting the ball foul into the upper deck.  W
Tisha
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love this book. I love this book.
Jen
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Marion meets Kurt at a party, she doesn’t think much will come of their one interaction. Kurt is popular, & everyone loves him. He wouldn’t even remember her name. However, much more comes of it than she ever expected. As their worlds collide, Marion fears that her secret, a secret she has held close to her for years will destroy everything. What she doesn’t know is that Kurt has a secret too, one that has kept him an arm’s length away from everyone-even his best friend. As their secret ...more
Kaitlyn
Dec 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WARNING*** IF YOU WANT TO READ THIS BOOK, RUN AWAY!!

This book was 100% terrible. Let me explain. This girl Marion can not make up her damn mind. She is so I indecisive throughout the whole book and didn't pick someone until the very last minute. She could not choose between her ex-boyfriend Abe and her crush Kurt. She had some issues when she was younger and it affects her life growing up but my god don't sleep with someone and then decide to sleep with the other the same day to compare them. T
Sophia Reiffenstein
Marion was a really confusing character. Going from one guy to another all the time...
Calyb Burton
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I debated the rating a bit, but I went with four because there really are bits of fantastic, even poetic, storytelling in this book. That said, it's a very bumpy ride when all is said and done.

We meet Marion & Kurt, our two deeply interesting protagonists who really aren't that interesting, or likable. To describe what I ended up feeling about them by the end is, simply enough, apathy. Their relationship felt incredibly forced, and that was made all the worse by a narrative that actively ro
Pyper at Reading Lark
All That We Left Behind is one of those novels that kept me up late at night reading because I had to know what was going to happen next. Marion and Kurt are two high school seniors who come from totally dysfunctional families. They meet at a party and something sparks between the two of them. But the secrets in their past cause some major problems in their ability to have an effective relationship.

Marion is the quiet nerdy type who has been comfortable hiding behind her friend Lillith. Lillit
Lindsay
One thing has been nagging at me since I read it and that thing was how the water off of Massachusetts is cold because the currents funnel in water from the Arctic. That is false. The western side of Europe receives water from the Arctic while the eastern side of the US gets water from the Gulf Stream flowing in from the South since the currents in the northern hemisphere move in a clockwise motion. So no, the water off of New England isn't cold because the currents flow from the north. It's bec ...more
Kaye
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m giving this book 3 stars not because of the story itself but because of the authors writing. For a first novel, I really like her writing and she had me intrigued the first chapter..
but then I started to get lost on few areas in the book. Especially, when the writer would go back in time. Sometimes I didn’t even realize that I was reading about a situation 2-4 years ago :/
I honestly, wish the writer had more details or better descriptions on what happened to Marion at her dads company BBQ.
Maryam Dinzly
I would say this book was intense, but that's not the right word. Because I usually use the word intense to describe the sexual tension between two people. But in this case, the relationship wasn't intense. Both main characters in this book are just bloody..... WOAH.

Humor me here, people, but is it just me or is there such thing as too overwhelming? I think some books can pull off that whole my-life-is-fucking-shit thing, with its BAM BOOM CRY SCREAM thingy. But some books just feel freaking ove
Nicole
Jun 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I don't submit reviews on books that I have read - but I couldn't let this one sit. Please brace yourself for a less than flattering review with minimal spoilers.

First of all, I had high hopes for this book when I purchased it. Cute cover photo, interesting title, and a summary that seemed to follow the favored YA novel formula without being too melodramatic.

Unfortunately I discovered very early on into this book that the author really, REALLY (and I mean REALLY) likes similes. I enjoy
anolinde
More like 2.5.

I wanted to like this. I started out liking it, and I even put aside another book so I could read more of this one. But then the whole thing just devolved into a melodramatic mess.

First of all, the dialogue was ridiculous. By the end of the book, Kurt and Marion could barely form complete sentences. "Kurt, I..." [insert kiss or lingering stare] "Marion..." [insert several paragraphs about water, or fire, or music] "We can't..." [insert another paragraph about water, or fire, or mus
Rebecca
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is a hard one for me to review. For the most part I liked it. I didn't love it but I liked it. I read it in one night. It was a fast read that's hard to put down. But there are a few things in this book that I didn't really like. Like her father who knows that SOMETHING happened to his daughter when she was 12. But for some unknown reason he thinks the best approach to it is to start avoiding his daughter. The back and forth with her ex-boyfriend. He weird relationship with her best friend ...more
Lindsey Holm
This book as very interesting. I never knew really what was going to happen because it was from two of the main characters point of view. It was really hard for me to comprehend while reading it. I gave it a three out of five stars. There are three main reasons while I kept reading it.

The thing that I kind of liked, is that this is what a life of a college student is. When you are i college you go to parties and hang with friend a lot. This book is thhe prefect book for you if you like books
Read InAGarden
Marion is portrayed as a geeky teen with an absentee father. Kurt is portrayed as a jock and player also with an absentee father. With little communication these two see nothing wrong with a lot of physical interaction. Then Marion stops the interaction when memories start coming back. It's not hard for the reader to figure out what happened but Marion and Kurt have a hard time figuring things out. The publisher blurb recommends this book for fans of Courtney Summers and Simone Elkeles. but ther ...more
Bluesy
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"All We Left Behind" is an emotional roller coaster ride of a story in the best sense. The author delicately weaves a story about first love, loss, addiction, abuse and of physical and emotional abandonment that had me on the edge of my seat.

Gritty, raw and realistic, this story draws you in, almost like a good mystery, as you’re wondering how Marion and Kurt will be able to move past their personal tragedies.

This is a beautifully written book, with realistic characters that readers will be ab
Caitlin
Oct 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No no no no no... The author is trying to make it one of those clichéd romance books where both of the main characters have really messed up live and by meeting each other and "falling in love" they conquer all their problems. Their lives are wayyyy more messed up than the average teenager's is. On top of all of this the suspense that builds up to bring these characters is far too built up that I got bored waiting and nearly quit reading. Overall there are a lot of better books out there.
Niana Devine
This story is about a shy bookworm named Marion who holds a haunting secret that's she's too afraid to tell and a confident soccer captain named Kurt who wants everything to be easy, contradicting his difficult home life.
Even before reading this book, I knew the purpose was to show how two broken people could "be totally wrong for each other or more right than they ever thought possible." And after I read it, Sundberg achieved this without a doubt! Kurt and Marion go through so many ups and dow
Katie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mirella
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
When I first started reading this, I was enthralled about having found a good contemporary novel that matched what I had been looking for. Personally, I am a big fan of romance. I just loved the feeling of reading the relationship that two characters sparked in a story. And then, later on in the story, getting to see all the character development.

This book is viewed in two points of view; Marion and Keith. Marion is your average shy, reserved teenager. A bookworm who doesn't know much about boys
JJ
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.75/5 Stars

When I first picked up this book I was expecting just a normal YA summer love story plot. Popular boy meets quiet invisible girl, fall in love, deny it, drama happens, then the story ends with them living happily ever after. Boy, was I wrong! Yes, it starts out as your typical popular boy quiet girl story, but Ingrid Sundberg took the usual plot and twisted it into a beautiful and tragic love story I honestly wasn’t expecting. “All We Left Behind” does have a darker plot than
Julia
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a great debut. i especially loved the unique writing style. :)

For me personally, I found this novel to be pretty relatable in terms of relationships with boys. My own relationships with the opposite gender have not been very good or bad to be completely honest. I love how two different characters are brought together not just for their apparent "spark" toward each other, but also share a connection due to their dark pasts.

Marion is the geeky girl who has a heartbreaking secret she has
Cait
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow… This book was an emotional roller coaster. This book followed a girl and a boy who both had a really rough past and are trying to overcome things that happened to them. One of the best parts is that they come from two completely different social standings. Kurt is popular and captain of the soccer team while Marianne is a shy girl who is on the honor roll. I wouldn't really consider this a love story because that's not the main plot line. It's more about finding someone who you can trust. A ...more
Zoe
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marion and Kurt both come from dysfunctional families and while that is a trope I enjoy reading it was just off in this one. Some parts felt believable while most didn't. I also didn't like how back and forth Marion was between Abe and Kurt. It just all felt so back and forth as a whole. I was interested enough to see how it ended, but now that I have I don't know why I fully care.
This was just wishy washy so it makes me feel wishy washy. Don't think I'll ever care enough to reread it. Oh, and
Sophie
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was put together really well though I thought that we didn't get to learn enough about each character other than what hurt them in their past. I would recommend this book but I think that more thought should have been put into explaining Marion's past. I feel like many people could have figured out what happened but it was never directly stated. I also think that it was interesting to read Kurt and Marion's POV's and how they were set up as each chapter in the book.
Melle Amade
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. People with wounds are often drawn together and this book gives a deep, insightful POV into how that can be on the inside. The language is beautiful and imagery provides great sensation to really connect with the characters. Magnificent. This is a book to settle in, read slowly, and feel. It's not about speed reading and plot divisiveness that you see in so many books today.
Jill Gann mccloughan
This book had a good plot and characters but it was written poorly and was hard to get through. Chapters were choppy and the dialogue was unrealistic. Apparently the author has never had any experience with the subject matter. This book had so much potential and it fell flat on its face.
Jann Kostka
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this when I was 17. Might have saved me some bad relationships. Yes, I read it in a day. Definitely a quick read. The subject matter was deep and disturbing- and hit way too close to home- it was an easy read.
  • Set Me Free (A Fugitive #2)
  • Voices of the Sea
  • Either the Beginning or the End of the World
  • The Way Back from Broken
  • Rite of Revelation (Acceptance, #2)
  • Paris Cravings (Paris & Pastry, #1)
  • Consent
  • The Victoria in My Head
  • Losing at Love (Outer Banks Tennis Academy, #2)
  • What's Broken Between Us
  • Caged Warrior
  • Hellraisers (The Devil's Engine, #1)
  • Crazy for You (Risking It All, #2)
  • Heck Superhero
  • The Law of Loving Others
  • Alone with All That Could Happen: Rethinking Conventional Wisdom about the Craft of Fiction
  • Pierced Love