Start by marking “If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently” as Want to Read:
If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently

If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently

The 9 1/2 principles in this highly personal and refreshingly written book will help any hospital team gain the extraordinary competitive advantage that comes from being seen as "the best" by their own employees, consumers, and community. It takes profound knowledge, not usually taught in business schools, to create and maintain an environment where people feel they are ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Second River Healthcare Press

To ask other readers questions about If Disney Ran Your Hospital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Disney Ran Your Hospital

Start your review of If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently
Amanda
Feb 28, 2016 added it
Notes:

"There is a profound difference between selling and marketing. Selling is trying to get people to want what you have. Marketing is trying to have what people want. When you have what people want, it makes selling unnecessary."

1. Redefine your competition and focus on what can't be measured

2. Make courtesy more important than efficiency

3. Regard patient satisfaction as fool's gold

4. Measure to improve, not to impress

5. Decentralize the authority to say yes

"Changing *how* we say No might
jamez
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although this was required reading for my workplace, I thoroughly enjoyed it! It had many good points and wisdom in every chapter. I came into it thinking, oh man...this is going to be some dopy author sharing life experiences at a hospital and Disney. But by the end, I feel like I came out a better person, had a new outlook on treating people, positive thoughts on controlling my moods in bad times, and improving my relationship and love with others including those I do not even know. But most ...more
Victoria Poon
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent read. Easy to understand and makes very good points about customer service. He anticipates how a health care worker will reject customer service issues because of the nature of the work, and addresses these issues in an elegant manner. Very helpful suggestions and ways of changing thinking in order to create the experience for patients and deliver great healthcare.
Julia Ledra
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There were some very interesting ideas and topics in this book, some more easily aplicable than others. To me, the most important ones were chapters 3 (regarding a patient's satisfaction as fool's gold) and chapter 8 (to create a climate of dissatisfaction).
The many examples the author points out throughout the book help visualize the ideas in a much more practical manner and were for sure my favorite parts of the book.
I think the hardest part to implementing this book's teachings is getting
Mohammad
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I read this book and I'm still amazed by the accurate depiction of all aspects of our daily work at many of the hospitals (at least the ones I worked in). The writer is clearly someone who spent a long time in hospitals and around healthcare providers to come up with such precise details and thoughtful observations of everyday practices and behaviours.
The 9 1/2 things are all very useful and practical. Most of them you can start using right away, and some of them
Paula
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback
I shared this with several people at my health system as we have incorporated some of the Studer principles which are along the same lines as the stuff presented by Mr. Lee. I disagree with his views on pay for performance but do think that it is only valid when it can be done appropriately so that people are rewarded for their efforts and success and not penalized for areas over which they have no control.
Bottom line there is some really good messages within this book that would benefit health
Diego Parada Herrera
This is a good read for Hospital and Health Center Managers that want to improve their service and patient loyalty. It offers interesting insights on the Disney culture applied to a hospital setting. The author knows its business and has a lot of references and sources beside Disney to provide a valuable and comprehensive strategy for improving service quality. At times, the book gets stuck in some idea, but aside from that, I would recommend it to people in the service sector.

—-

Buena lectura
Tim Schlegel
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A mentor recommended this "oldie but goodie" to me a few months back.

It's a great read on good general management practices, inspiring people, and especially empowering staff. The common misconception of managers is that they need to control their employees, but in reality their job should be to enable employees to make smart choices and to go above and beyond in service to customers. Lee even goes so far as to propose a new way of talking about management to enable the needed paradigm shift.

Liz Nicklos
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although some of the concepts were familiar, I loved the Disney examples and approach. Unfortunately, although this book was written in 2004, we still struggle to address consumer/patient concerns about affordability and experience. I was most impacted by the examples around prioritization (you can't make efficiency AND experience the most important thing -- there are trade offs and service/experience wins the day)... and motivation. (behavior intrinsically motivated > behavior extrinsically ...more
Sandy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
The title made the cynic in me come out, but I approached this with an open mind. The author actually made some great points, found some good pearls of wisdom. I really loved his chapter reminding readers how important empathy is in the healthcare profession. Also the reminder that the patients we are treating ARE comparing their healthcare visits to every other experience they have as a customer. It's not fair, but it's the truth!
Deb O
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook and followed along with the actual book.

The author of the book, narrated the audiobook. Which I was very excited about till he started chapter one with his VERY monotone voice.

I probably did not get as much from this book as I could have because of the authors monotone voice and the fact that I am not a auditory learner. But still a good book with great concepts.
Sarah Hall
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
It wasn't quite what I expected. I found it difficult to follow because "my" hospital doesn't rely on patient loyalty or satisfaction surveys for funding. While much of the advice on empathy and compassionate attitudes is useful, the concepts don't quite translate the same in a system with universal healthcare.
Thivakorn Kasemsri
Yes u can

A hospital or a unit in a hospital is NOT Disney World or NASCAR or even an airplane. The author clearly understands this and instills insights from his time at Disney so that If Disney Ran Your Hospital does make sense in the healthcare arena.
Sherry
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book to read because management at my hospital were reading it. It is worth the read and I think helped give me insight into how we should respond to patients and their families. Parts of this book were motivating and inspiring, however other parts made me feel very inadequate.
Jason
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read on hospitality
Sherri Anderson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for any one working in the service sector. Even though I have nothing to do with hospitals I learned a lot. Now if more managers would read it.
Maria Johnson Darby
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this for work but I really found it useful. There were very specific ideas cemented in real life experiences. Worth the time.
Greg
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm giving this book a 3, because so much of it was valuable. But for me, chapter 9 was a black stain on the book, discoloring even previously reasonable assertions and putting me ideologically at odds with the author.

Basically, the book is about how to improve customer service at your hospital, and the fundamental point made seems valid. That is that culture is determined by structure, and all of our pretty mission statements might as well be just posters on the wall.

It's all well and good.
Sean Gilmore
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
As someone who grew up 20 minutes from Disneyland (I have literally been over 100 times, if not hundreds) in a family led by my father, a healthcare executive, I didn’t need to read more than the title of this book to become interested. Now that I am currently pursuing a degree to enter the same field, it seemed like fate to have it assigned as reading. I would say the overall theme of the book is that the way things have traditionally been done in healthcare isn’t going to suffice if an ...more
Corinnagoodwin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
had to read this for work, most of it I don't agree with as it is fluff and is about management and poor management. I wish I could read a really good customer service book about a hospital and not just about rewards and not Mnemonic devices.
Rum P. H. Shaker
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I've had this book since I was an intern back in undergrad and I reread it from time to time as I experience different career milestones, just to see if my position on it changes. I still find this book whimsical similar to that of a Disney film.

I've always liked the diagrams in the book, especially the Figure 1.3 regarding Improving Outcomes and Perceptions.

Unfortunately I find the principles in this book very difficult to administer, especially when middle and upper management are not on
Don Woodman
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book describes how medical managers can invoke Disney rules to help improve patient satisfaction. One huge lesson from this book is that patient perception matters as much if not more than reality of care quality. For example, if nurses work hard to improve the care with which they ensure a patients privacy, shutting doors and drawing curtains around beds for instance it makes little impact on patient's perceptions. If the nurses subsequently make sure that they ALSO verbalize that they are ...more
Cordell
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: managers
The first two chapters have been interesting reading. Better than I though they would be. I look forward to finishing this.

Easy read and finally a management book with some insight. It was interesting to see a lot of traditional thinking set aside for example: This book looks at satisfaction surveys and helps you to see through them. Disney for example on a 1 to 5 star system only tells their employees how many surveys gave them 5s. Why, two reasons, first because if 3 or 4 stars was good enough
Michael Gaudet
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loaned-to-me
I borrowed this book from someone at work. I cringle every time I read buzzwords like "paradigm", but I guess that comes with the book genre.

Overall, I though this book had some great points and was a quick easy read. I can see from experience the failures Lee points out in the failed policies that came and went at work. Most of all though this book really did inspire me to provide better service to customers and foster a team spirit at work. Right now I'm at a point in my career where I'm
Patty Satjapot
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Patty by: Mike Morgenstern
Theresa
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read his book as part of a book club for my commander. He wanted all his leadership to read this.

Some of the concepts are good, but like any other book that is geared towards management, you have to see what you can apply to your environment.

This book was an easy read and quick. I got it on my kindle so I was able to nightlight and make notées. I don’t like doing that to my non electronic books.
Lisa
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
An engaging, easily readable book that explores the lessons health care facilities and provider can learn from one of the greatest service organizations in the world - Disney. I picked up lots of "pearls" about how to treat people well, no matter what field you are in or what service you are delivering.
Chris
Jun 19, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was good, but it really wasn't jaw dropping earth shattering great. I enjoyed it and the things Lee discusses will help me, but it wasn't too new. I heard Lee speak at a NAHAM conference in Dallas earlier this year, and thought that he was a really dynamic speaker. But everything I got from him at the conference was repeated in the book and I was able to get in one hour.
Hermione
Jul 05, 2007 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyone working in the healthcare field
As an administrator in a health system currently trying to differentiate our services by focusing on the creation personalized patient experiences, I find this book especially relevant. It's examples are completely relatable - not some Disney magic and fairy dust. This should be required reading for all health care managers.
Andy
Jun 27, 2007 rated it liked it
This was required reading for work, that I initially skimmed through and then gave it a more in-depth reading. It doesn't matter if you work in a hospital or not, this book is full of ideas on how to make the most of what you do and how to make lasting impressions on everyone you come into contact with on a regular basis.

• Why Hospitals Should Fly: The Ultimate Flight Plan to Patient Safety and Quality Care
  • Creating Magic
  • Service Fanatics: How to Build Superior Patient Experience the Cleveland Clinic Way
  • How Doctors Think
  • Patients Come Second: Leading Change by Changing the Way You Lead
  • Los últimos días de Clayton & Co.
  • Steven Tyler: The Biography
  • I'm Here: Compassionate Communication in Patient Care
  • Behind the Throne: A Domestic History of the British Royal Household
  • Pan American World Airways Aviation History Through the Words of its People
  • Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know about Air Travel: Questions, Answers, & Reflections
  • 747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation
  • Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot
  • 722 Miles: The Building of the Subways and How They Transformed New York
  • Hardwiring Excellence: Purpose, Worthwhile Work, Making a Difference
  • A Night to Remember
  • Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
“If all the world is a stage, then acting, allowing ourselves to be touched by the experiences of others, is the means by which the world can become connected in understanding and love” 0 likes
“The truth is that our competition is anyone our customers compare us to.” 0 likes