Start by marking “Marked in Flesh (The Others, #4)” as Want to Read:
Marked in Flesh (The Others, #4)

Marked in Flesh (The Others #4)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  16,853 Ratings  ·  1,820 Reviews
For centuries, the Others and humans have lived side by side in uneasy peace. But when humankind oversteps its bounds, the Others will have to decide how much humanity they’re willing to tolerate—both within themselves and within their community...

Since the Others allied themselves with the cassandra sangue, the fragile yet powerful human blood prophets who were being expl
Published March 8th 2016 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Marked in Flesh, please sign up.
Sparky A good series to read is the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas.
1: throne of glass
2: crown of midnight
3: heir of fire
4: queen of shadows
There are…more
A good series to read is the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas.
1: throne of glass
2: crown of midnight
3: heir of fire
4: queen of shadows
There are also two more books coming out.

Another good series is A Court of Thorns and Roses by the same author.
1: A Court of Thorns and Roses
2: A Court of Mist and Fury
Maybe more to come. (less)

Melodramaticfool
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: so-super-psyched
"Let's be honest here. We're all reading this to see Simon and Meg do it."

The words that brought me sudden infamy on this review. And I must digress, this series is the bane of my sexual frustration. You're killing me, Bishop. I've never been teased so much in my life. I'm literally begging you for wolf sex at this rate. Fifth book guys, let's hope there is deliverance in this drought.

*ahem*

Anyway, this book was good, albeit I felt a bit repetitive at times with the information. The war is on.
Douglas Meeks
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I try to never steal lines from other reviewers but this line was too good and too on-the-spot to not repeat "So good I needed a cigarette when I finished". Yeah, it WAS that good.

I hate trying to review books like this when all you want to do is write a page of "AWESOME' "EXCEPTIONAL" well you get the idea. This book, in fact this whole series, is so out there in a league of its own you don't know what to write but here goes.

The Others have put up with the Humans First and Last (HFL) for a good
Simona Bartolotta
I'll call it a day with an eskimo kiss.
Yes, I'm that desperate.

Needless to say, I'm buddy-reading this with the one and only Nina!

"This is what it means to be human, it said. This is what humans do."

description

I know what you mean, Leo. In my dreams, this series is still perfect.

•The reason I didn't like this -or, with a more truthful phrasing, I liked it just mildly- is not the lack of progress in the romance. Write it on your forehead please.

If not for that, then what for? Why only three scant stars afte
Lila
Aug 29, 2014 marked it as to-read
ETA: 06/08/2015

Vlad leaned against the doorway of HGR's upstairs office. "Could you stop waking up Meg so early in the morning? Some of us would like to sleep a bit longer."

Simon bared his teeth. "I didn't wake her up this morning. She woke me." He turned on the computer. Everyone who lived in the Green Complex was getting an early start this morning—and everyone was so quick to blame him...Rest of excerpt here.

Interesting... Meg is already important figure in this war since she was catalyst t
Jilly
It's time for me to say what everyone else who read this is thinking: What the hell, Anne Bishop? Four books and not even a kiss? You're a sadistic woman!

I mean, come on! I'm all for the slow-build of a romance, but this is going too far! We need to start a petition or something!

Oh, but Meg's so innocent and Simon's a wolf. I don't care! They are totally in love - get to it!

The other problem I had with this book was that there were too many POVs. I want more of what's going on in the Courtyard a
Shannon
I love this series.

Love love love everything about it.

Meg is special and endearing and wonderful. Simon is too, but with sharper teeth and claws.

I don't think I've ever read a book that made me so anxious for what was happening to the characters. There were three distinct parts that actually made my heart pound faster. Especially nearing the end there was just this overwhelming sense of dread building up with each page turned. I don't know how Bishop writes this way or so well and the only compl
Anne
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

This one felt (to me) to be the weakest as far as actual plot goes. I mean, You know what's going to happen. YOU KNOW.
Like, there's no suspense of will they/won't they. I'm referring to whether or not the Others are gonna wipe humans off the map - not whether Meg and Simon are finally gonna get busy.
Of course they don't! Sit down!

description

But once again, this story completely sucked me in, and I gobbled it down in just a few days. I still don't get why this series is so appealing, but it is.
I
♛Tash
Update January 13, 2015

4.5 claws and teeth stars

[​IMG]

Man that was good! I practically snorted this.

Marked in Flesh is WAYYYY better than the last installment. We get lesser (view spoiler) which were seriously getting on my nerves and more of the things that have only been roiling in the surface in the past 3 books.

Full review to come closer to the publication date.
---------------------------------------------
Update January 11, 2016

Whatta surprise, yey ARC. Woot!
-------
Marsha
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pre March 8, 2016:
I just read the excerpt for "Marked in Flesh" and omg I am like a drug addict dying for my next fix! We should start a support group. "Hello, my name is Marsha and I'm addicted to the series the Others by Anne Bishop." Anyone else?

Post March 8, 2016:

To the fans of the Others series let me warn you now you had better prepare yourself for an emotional roller coaster ride of a read with "Marked in Flesh." There is so much going on in this installment including but not limited to n
Patrícia
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just so good.

Marta Cox
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
This series is intoxicating and I'd say unmissable. Ok how do I begin? Is it paranormal or fantasy, or even both? If the word fantasy makes you think of magic and swordplay with an almost medieval setting well scratch that thought. We have technology eg cars, computers and trains but we also have settlements that live a simpler life and of course there are also the ancients or should that be Elders? Imagine a great force that created life and initially that life was primordial. Now add Others wh ...more
Faye, la Patata
Mar 05, 2015 marked it as to-read
Only two more books left?! What in the world?! Make that 112345678 more books, please! This series can't have just two more books left!! 3
Carol.
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oink, oink!

description

For those who follow my reviews, I'm unable to stop myself from comparing this series to candy. As I learned in Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us, food companies spend hundreds of thousands engineering taste to hit that optimal flavor point where taste buds light up without making us feel something is too sugary, salty or rich. It's the reason we can eat handfuls of M&Ms or Doritos, ostensibly with enjoyment, without feeling satiated. Like its predecessors, Marked in F
♥Rachel♥
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Marked in Flesh was another winning installment of The Others series! I can’t get enough of the world and characters, but especially Simon and Meg!

The fate of the humans comes to a head after the horrific events orchestrated by the Humans First and Last Group in the last book. Their actions and stance just made me sick, and really they put the future of the humans in big time danger! The Elders, “Namid’s teeth and claws” have been watching, and I read with bated breath wondering what kind of re
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

MARKED IN FLESH set out to be the defining installment in the entente between humankind and the terra indigene, and being somewhat familiar with Anne Bishop’s predilection for carnage, I knew full well that no cast member was going to come out on the other side unscathed. This book was astonishingly successful in its aim; however due to its very nature the format needed to be altered to incorporate more POVs and less one-on-one time which in turn led to a slight decrease
Jo
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All UF fans!!!

Buddy read with the amazing UF group over at BB&B - This is one of the best Urban Fantasy series' and a must read for all UF fans!!!

The sweet blood has changed things. You have changed because of her. We are intrigued by the humans who have gathered around your Courtyard, so we will give you some time to decide how much human the terra indigene will keep.

When the forceful HFL, the human first and last, movement decided that humans were better than the terra indigene, that they deserve

Denisa
I'm so excited right now I don't know what to say!!!

Yup, this book didn't disappoint! And I absolutely, absolutely loved it! And I want moreeee!
The world becomes so much larger and more interesting in this book! So many new people and events and FEELINGS!

At least some of the loose ends were tied in this book, so I'm so glad I read it. But there are so many possibilities! I mean, ok, some things I can guess, but I'm curious what Anne Bishop will do with this series. It was absolutely great so f
Danielle (Love at First Page)

4 stars

The Others is a series that I can without a shred of doubt say there's not another like it. I've had to be very patient with these books, but it's been more than worth it. Anne Bishop has crafted an urban fantasy that is so unique in its storytelling, characters, and worldbuilding, and after every book I'm already wishing for the next one.

In a nutshell, the series is set in Thasia, a place that resembles Earth geographically but otherwise couldn't be more different - or scarier. The very
Beth
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely riveting from start to finish, I just can’t get enough of The Others series.

This is a world where the mythical, paranormal and magical powers rule the world. They’ve co-existed and tolerated the humans time and time again but as history has shown the humans are a greedy lot.

It seems the human’s greed and self-worth have once again gone to their heads. They have slowly and methodically plotted against The Others. The Others haven’t forgotten the past, I guess it comes with such longev
Sanaa
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
[4.5 Stars] This one was really good, but I swear I was so stressed out while reading this book! It terrified me and made me feel sick in a way that was totally intended, but disturbing nonetheless. Most of the books in this series have been fairly dark if you think about it. The growing tensions between the humans and the others finally come to a crescendo here though, and it's left me feeling a little exhausted. I really did love this book though, if that is even something I can really say abo ...more
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
This is what feels like the 100th buddy read with my exploding-fluffball-friend Simona <3

This series has been full of Ups and Downs for me.

I still like the first instalment best, which means that none of the following instalments has been able to sweep me off my feet as I had hoped.

The first half
Let me rip of the band-aid, quick and easy: The first half of Marked in Flesh was a borefest. The plot was dissatisfying. The multiple POVs inflicted physical pain, and there were so many voices cram
Kells Next Read
I got this beauty yesterday and I sat down and devoured it in one sitting. I just can get enough of these characters and the world Anne Bishop has so expertly built. That slow burn relationship between Simon and Meg is wonderfully torturous and I LOVE IT!! This will most definitely go down as one of my fave series Ever.

10 I want more Stars

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
The first book blew me out of the water as an incredible ride I didn't want to get off of. Unfortunately the ride has faltered as the series continued, even if it stays addictive and hard to put down. The three stars for this one means it's good, but not great, and that's the same reasons as the last book - too much time spend in other's heads and other packs. I don't care about anyone other than the Lakeside folks, but we don't get as much time or character development with them as I'd hoped. I ...more
Kathe L
Aug 12, 2015 marked it as to-read
When I read the first and the second books, I think I read them both in a week. LOL. Then, I swore to myself that when the third book came out (A YEAR AND SOMETHING AFTER I READ THOSE TWO), I would wait awhile before I got my claws on it. But what did happen? Desperate Kathe read the third book right after it was released and now what?

description

I'M GOING TO DIE UNTIL THIS IS RELEASED.
Ps: There's been a week and some hours since I haven't touched a book :( I think it's crazy me talking here.
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ One of the best books of 2016 for me, thus far.
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Good Lord. I had no idea how much of story was even plotted because I was soooo bored. All this stuff happens 300 pages in! This is literally the slowest build-up of any romance I have ever read and I'm sad to say that this one made me lose interest in the entire relationship. It dragged on and on and on. About what really? Organizing how they're going to survive, getting toilet paper, feminine hygiene products and bison meat??? There was also way too many characters. Usually I can handle a lot, ...more
Deborah Obida
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is my favourite urban fantasy series, This book focused less on Lakeside and more on other parts of Thasia to include the actions of the HFL, The writing and world building is as good as the other books. I love the character development so much.

PLOT
The HFL (human first and last) movement thought they could take the land of the Others if they kill the shifters, unknowingly to them that another form of terra indigene exist known as the elders and are more powerful than the shifters
Suzanne the Bookaholic and Proud
Oh.......My........GOD!!!!!!

What a book, what an ending, what a......

words can't describe the ending, I just wish meg and Simon would just be together and just snog the faces off each other and just be done with it, I just love this series and the characters are all loveable, especially meg and Simon and sam, and tess and Henry and Nathan, the list goes on and on, the world in where everyone lives is just brilliantly described and the plot couldn't get any better.
I do hope the next book isn't fa
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN

"Do you know what the Sharkgard call human on a ship?"
"No, what?"
"Meat in a can."

Well, this sums up everything that happens in book #4 of The Others series. Humans are trying to gain lands that belong to the terra indigene through some traps and terror. They think themselves victorious for a short time, but then they are faced with the fury of the Elders (which I haven't understood yet what they are. I'm guessing some non-corporeal mythical creatures).

What happens? (view spoiler)
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • Shadow Rites (Jane Yellowrock, #10)
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files, #3)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Archangel's Enigma (Guild Hunter, #8)
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)
  • Dark Ascension (Generation V, #4)
  • Curran POV Collection
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel, Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestseller list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop

The Others (7 books)
  • Written in Red (The Others, #1)
  • Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)
  • Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)
  • Etched in Bone (The Others, #5)
  • Lake Silence (The Others, #6)
  • Wild Country

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“No. I’m not hot, and I don’t want to do the Squeaky Dance.” Simon sighed. This day was full of disappointments.” 24 likes
“The Dimwit's Guide to the Female Mind might assist your efforts in understanding human females. But it must be pointed out that this subject can be a dangerous adventure and should be undertaken with extreme caution. After all, human males have been trying to understand their females for generations, and most of the time they come away from these encounters looking like someone stuck their tails into an electric socket.” 23 likes