Start by marking “Her Secret Inheritance” as Want to Read:
Her Secret Inheritance

Her Secret Inheritance

(Isobel Key #2)

Five years ago, an impulsive trip to Scotland changed her life. Now Lou is back in the misty, magical country. But this time, she’s not on vacation.

When Brian, her old Highland fling, turns up at the scene of some depressing family business, tension mounts between the former lovers. But dealing with him is only part of the problem; something wicked is stirring in Scotland.
Published June 12th 2014 by Bloomsbury Spark (first published January 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Her Secret Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Secret Inheritance

Thomas Winship
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Key Inheritance” represents another home run for Jen McConnel. The sequel to “The Burning of Isobel Key” bounces once again between the present and the distant past, ushering readers once more into the worlds of Lou and Isobel Key.

When we last saw Lou, she was abandoning the man she loved to reconnect with long-lost family. In the decade since, she’s made great strides—most notably, from bookstore clerk to professor—but she still hasn’t rediscovered love … although all of that may change as
Kim
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a follow-up novella, following The Burning of Isobel Key, and a must read if you loved the first book. Isobel Key left us wondering what would happen with Brian, her sexy Highland fling, wondering if that was over forever. It also left us wondering what would happen to Lou, with all of the new discoveries she had made in Scotland. Key Inheritance answered those questions for us, along with lots of unexpected twists and turns.

Things to love about Key Inheritance...

The reunion of Lou and B
Danielle Young
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very happy to say that this book brought me what I thought was missing from The Burning of Isobel Key, magic! And it even brought a bit of the paranormal with a ghost. I thought this novella was pretty fast paced as the story moved along quickly. My main complaint is that I think I could have done without the visits to the past. For me these were the slower moments in the book and I don't really feel like they added much to the story. That said I did like the suspense that I found in this b ...more
A.D. Trosper
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book as a continuance from the first book. I liked the new past story that again paralleled the present day one. However, this felt way too short. I was also disappointed in Lou. I know she is a fictional character, but it bothered me that she didn't keep in touch with anyone, not even the relative that made finding her birth family possible. I guess it just didn't seem like it stayed true to the Lou I met in the first book. This book also left out any mention of Lou's adoptive pa ...more
Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac)
This is the second book in the series and I couldn't wait to get it on my e-reader. The first book ends where you are left to wonder if Lou will ever see Brian again or what will happen when she meets her biological family. This book picks up 10 years later when Lou goes back to Scotland to take care of some family matters, things have changed over the past 10 years but she meets Brian when she arrives. They have their ups and downs emotionally as would be expected after how Lou left Brian stand ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
So life has gone full circle for Lou and she is returning to the place where she found herself 5 years ago. She has grown up and achieved much during those years but she still wonders what will happen if she happens to run into Brian. Let me tell you, sparks fly! Brian is not the same, easy going laddie that he used to be and yes, some of that is Lou's fault - if you can call it that as she just wasn't ready to settle down. I think I actually like Brian a bit more in this book because he's grown ...more
Fizza
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was even better than what I had expected. A befitting ending to Lou's as well as Isobel's story. Lou returned to Scotland after five years when professor dies and now she has to sort through his things and accept her inheritance.
The first surprise she got was Brian, apparently the professor had written to him as well, requesting that he helped Lou. The second surprise was Brian's behavior towards her. Not to mention she had to deal with a vengeful ghost as well.
In this book we learn a little
Judy
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: This book is the second in a series the first being The Burning of Isobel Key. I haven’t read the first yet but that no way detracted from this book. I found it engaging from the first with just the right amount of mystery revolving around Lou. Coming back to Scotland after ten years to wrap up her cousins estate and running into a old love is hard enough but she must deal with left over ghosts of the distant past relatives. Using her faith as a witch to help. Now I must go get the first ...more
C.M. Brown
Jen McConnel's short novel, The Key Inheritance, is a mix of a love story and the supernatural, and evolves around the main character Lou. She returns to Scotland after ten years, to tidy up an inherited estate, hoping that Brian, the only man she has ever felt anything for, still has a place for her in his heart.

Lou finds that Brian is extremely cold and that the house she has inherited is haunted by a an ancestor from many generations ago, who is certainly not friendly.

I found this story a lit
Cindy
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This was second in the series about Lou and her adventures in Scotland 10 years after her first visit. She returns and meets Brian once again. I really enjoyed both on this series and would love to read more about them.
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I finished it, and I'm giving it 5 stars. Not because it's a masterpiece of literature, but because it made me smile :)
Katie
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only disappointed it wasn't longer...
Amanda
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story!
Loriinengland
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ending to a the previous Isobel book. I will look for more by this author.
Christianna Marks
You can read this and many other reviews on my YA book blog The White Unicorn!

An Open Letter To Her Secret Inheritance,

I have to be honest. I don't think you were as great as the book that you follow. You fell a little flat for me, but to be fair I still really enjoyed you. You were a fun, fast, easy read and you brought back some characters that I really enjoyed the first time around. So thank you for that...

-The White Unicorn

I was excited when I heard that McConnel was coming out with a follow
Pili
After reading The Secret of Isobel Key, I joined the author street team on Facebook, so I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this novella sequel for review!

Her Secret Inheritance starts 5 years after the end of Isobel, and before I talk any more about the book, be warned, it's likely that there will be spoilers for the previous book. Lou is once again on her way to Scotland, and this time her reason to go there is not as happy an occasion as it was the previous time.

It seems that despite the sort
Emily (Reviewer
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We last left Lou finding out that she is related to the Professor and that she has family in the states that are dying to meet her. She has left Brian standing jilted at the airport hoping that she would stay. We are thrust back into their lives 10 years later! Lou is heading back to Scotland to visit the professor’s home and who shows up on the doorstep not 10 minutes later, Brian. 10 years is a long time, people change, move on, and feelings are fleeting….or are they!?

In Lou’s journey back to
Nalana
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Don't let the three stars deceive you. I did really like this story. This is really a 3.5 Star rating! I was excited to read more about Lou and Brian and their adventures. It was well written and had that nice bit of magic and mystery that the first book had.

My only complaint was that it was short, and I really wanted MORE. From the acknowledgements it seems that the author was asked by her fans to write more about Lou and Brian (I can't blame them!), but maybe there wasn't more to tell. I know
Robbi Leah  Freeman

short book, May 20, 2013
This review is from: The Key Inheritance (The Key Legacy) (Kindle Edition)
Too short. Too many things left unexplained and still left you wondering what next. This and the first book should have been one book with her 10 years included. Very good idea but not done justice.
Lindsey
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this so much better than the first book! I wish this was a novel instead of a novella because it was a great story that could've easily stretched into a longer book with more details and action. As it is, it is a fast paced read that gives us more closure for Lou and Brian. Must read as a follow-up if you've read the Secret of Isobel Key!
Sabrena
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lou returns to Scotland after 5 years due to a family member dying and is thrown together with Brian once she gets there. Brian annoyed me at first due to not believing and even though he comes around a bit, it feels forced. I like it because it closed Isobel Key but the book itself feels lacking.
Amanda
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
cute book! very charming. fast and easy read
Paige
Aug 17, 2015
Tina
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jen McConnel is an award winning author. She writes Young Adult and New Adult fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. When she isn’t writing, she can be found on her yoga mat, teaching, or wandering off on another adventure.

Follow Jen on Twitter @Jen_McConnel, and visit www.jenmcconnel.com to learn more.

Isobel Key (2 books)