Start by marking “Girls in Love” as Want to Read:
Girls in Love

Girls in Love (Girls #1)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  12,436 Ratings  ·  221 Reviews
Meet Ellie and her best friends Nadine and Magda, three teenage girls just starting Year Nine with a lot on their minds – mainly boys! Told in the bright, sparky and authentic voice of Ellie, Girls in Love is a funny, frank and revealing look at their friendships, problems and heartaches that older fans of bestselling author Jacqueline Wilson will adore.

Books in the series
Published October 11th 2007 by Random House (first published 1997)

Frankie
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood, 2016
I liked this series when i was younger. Was nice to read again.
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
I'm really surprised by how relevant all the issues discussed in this book are! Turns out the teenage girl experience hasn't changed much in 20 years!
Jo Woolfardis
Jul 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Yuck yuck yuck. Puke puke puke.

Full review to follow.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Christine Blachford
I’ve always had a soft spot for Jacqueline Wilson, even though I am far too old to be reading things like this now. I picked this up as part of my reading list challenge, and having vaguely recalled a kids TV show that was made out of this source material, I was intrigued at how the story would go.

The thing about Jacqueline Wilson is that she gets right inside kids heads, and even though I am not a kid anymore, I could remember the feelings she was describing as if they were yesterday. Maybe I a
Cat
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
At the start this book suspiciouly reminded me of the Confessions of Gee Nicholson, but then I found out it was published before that series...
It was very different though. No snog-a-thons or Dave-the-laughs, but it did hold a different quality, a more emotional, real life one.
It is about 13 year old Ellie. Bushy haired, glasses wearing plump Ellie and the fixes she gets herslef into, one with dorky Dan...
I remember watching the TV version of it when I was about 9, and thinking 'I'm going to r
Emily May
Aww, what a sweet book of innocence and shattered innocence. Of love and heartbreak. I felt a connection with each of the characters in this book and it was possibly one of the most important books of my early teens. If you are between 11 and 15/16 then you should read this book. A very cute read!
Janelle Dazzlepants
The book was very cute, and all the girls were relatable although I have to admit that Magda got on my nerves. Elly is adorably self-deprecating without it being annoying and just begging for reassurance, and Nadine may look like the token goth chick, but she's put in situations that young girls can definitely relate to. It's a mess of hormones, self-confidence issues, girltalk and sex without being tacky or scandalous or too sexed up.

The tv series adaptation is also really great =D
Sofia Domingos
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a really cute and fun book that loved when i was younger . still loved it today .
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
After challenging myself to revisit the books I loved as a child and young teenager - and then review them from memory - where better to begin than at Jacqueline Wilson? I loved the 'Girls' series, I think I must have read Girls In Love a dozen times over the years.

As told by Ellie, an artistic pre-teen, I instantly warmed to her. Her insecurities are typical of a girl of her age. How Wilson manages to so expertly define the thoughts of a young girl throughout the generations is nothing short o
Faduma Mohamud
Guttegærne jenter formet meg!!!! Aaah min barndom
Connie
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: Girls in Love
Series: Girls #1
Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Overall Review: 3 stars

You're all probably thinking, Connie? Why are you reading books for kids?

Well because I want to read as many books as possible to keep me awake and they're all on my shelves so I might as well.

Ellie is going into Year 9, that's Year 10 for the Northern Irish amongst us and Freshman Year for the Americans. She's fourteen and when I first read these books at 7, that w
Kate
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls ;)
Shelves: myfavorites
Three rambuncious girls named Magda, Ella and Nadine have about one thing in common, they are all totally boy crazy! Ella always puts herself down just because she is a little bit paranoid of her weight and face shape. Another problem is, her friend's are boy MAGNETS! Everywhere they go, boys just have to stop and look at them! The only boy that really loves Ella is Eggs, her annoying little brother. But of course there is dan. A silly little 12 year old named Dan that is madly in love with Ell ...more
Kirjapallo
Minun oli tarkoitus lukea vaan ihan vähän alkua, mutta kuinka ollakaan, luin vahingossa koko kirjan... :D Tämä menee ehdottomasti kutosten ystävyys- ja ihastusvinkkauksiin.

Päähenkilönä on 13-vuotias Ellie jonka molemmat ystävät seurustelevat, joten niinpä hän väittää itsekin seurustelevansa. Hänen kirjekaverinsa Dan on vain aika erilainen kuin mitä hän on ystävilleen kertonut... Vai onko?

Kirjasta oikein huokuu semmoinen hauska ja sympaattinen fiilis, mutta samalla käsitellään myös vakavampia ai
Marta
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My TV broke so the rapair man took it to fix and now I can't stop reading books. I have read this book in 1 day and I am finally reading another book. I really like this book because it has some fun things and it was really interesting. The book is about 3 girls. Ellie, Magda and Nadine. They are the 3 best friends. Ellie thinks that she is unattractive and boring, and that no boy would ever be interested in her. Magda has boyfriends all the time and Nadine is dead gorgeous and was nearly on the ...more
Dany
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
leggendolo ero addirittura quasi tentata di dargli 3 stelline ma poi il finale mi ha spiazzato e deluso più del resto del libro e ciao ciao. Okay, forse è perchè non ho l'età ma la storia era carina: Ellie perde la mamma, ha due migliori amiche, una matrigna e desidera un fidanzato, come tutte le adolescenti. E vive la vita che vivono tutte le adolescenti. E' bello quando nei libri per adolescenti viene sottolineata l'importanza dell'amicizia ma questo libro mi ha delusa un sacco.
Kate Millin
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Teenage angst books she writes so well. This is the first in a series of three about Ellie and her best friends Magda and Nadine just going into year 7 and starting to get interested on boys. It brought back lots of memories of what it felt like to be in that difficult time when you are not an adult or a child
Shahrun
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I used to love Jacqueline Wilson when I was a kid. And I still do! This book was so much fun and really transported me back to my teen years (the good and the bad). I loved the illustrations too. More books should have them! I have now ordered the rest of the series.
Tracey
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-books, ya-books
I enjoyed this book. It was fun to read. Loved the way the girls always stuck together!
Teresa
~ 2.5 Stars ~ This book is part of the BBC's 100 Must Read Books. I'm guessing that is was a must read for British girls like Judy Blume's books were when I was growing up. I just can't imagine though that it could be as memorable as Blubber or Are You There God? It's Me Margaret. I'm just surprised that this book made it on the list.
Nila
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Floor Flawless
Toen ik wat jonger was, was ik dol op deze boeken. Ik vind ze nu wat minder dan toen, maar zijn wel oke.
Jenny
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember loving the Girls series way back when!
Aliyah
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!
Ariana
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing
Just
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely not my favourite Jacqueline Wilson book but still an ok read.
Elektra
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it!
Emily
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this although it says the c word in it (which im not allowed to saya s it is classes as a swearword) its still amazing!
Mae Lee
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good for teens
bakanekonomama
Uumm... 2.75 bintang kayaknya...

Berkisah tentang Ellie, seorang gadis remaja berusia 13 tahun yg sedang putus asa karena dua sahabatnya: Nadine dan Magda sudah punya cowok. Nadine pacaran dgn seorang pria super tampan yg udah kuliah (dan ya, Nadine masih 13 tahun, which is masih SMP!!!). Sedangkan Magda "menjatuhkan" Greg hanya dalam 5 menit krn Nadine udah punya cowok dan dia iri sama sahabatnya itu.

Lalu... Tinggallah Ellie sendiri. Ia akhirnya bercerita kalau dia juga sudah pny cowok, seorang
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
  • Losing the Plot (Angels Unlimited, #2)
  • Lucky Star
  • Charm School
  • How to Flunk Your First Date (Two of a Kind, #2)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl (Ally's World, #1)
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • Mates, Dates, and Designer Divas (Mates, Dates, #3)
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Sunset Song (A Scots Quair, #1)
  • Pig-Heart Boy
  • Skinny Melon And Me (Diary, #1)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...

Girls (4 books)
  • Girls Under Pressure (Girls, #2)
  • Girls Out Late (Girls, #3)
  • Girls in Tears (Girls, #4)