Start by marking “The Governess Club: Louisa (The Governess Club, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Governess Club: Louisa (The Governess Club, #4)

The Governess Club: Louisa (The Governess Club #4)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
For fans of Christina Dodd and Elizabeth Boyle.

Louisa Brockhurst is on the run—from her friends, from her family, even from her dream of independence through the Governess Club. But sometimes it's easier for her to hide from those she loves in order to escape the secrets of her past.

Handsome but menacing John Taylor is a prizefighter-turned-innkeeper who is trying to make
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 304 pages
Published October 7th 2014 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Governess Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Governess Club

Lover of Romance
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Louisa Brockhurst is on the run, every time her past comes closer to haunt her, she leaves. So she abandons her closest friends, and decide to make a fresh start, and she finds herself at a local inn asking John Taylor for a job . John Taylor, is a retired prizefighter, who has built this inn from the ground up and is proud in his establishment, but he knows it needs work. When he sees Louisa walk into his place, and asking for a job, he knows she is the answer to his prayers. He needs someone t ...more
Farrah
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely conclusion to the Governess Club series, The Governess Club: Louisa was a nice and sweet read and I rather enjoyed it.

Louisa has me a bit torn. For the first 80% of the book, I didn't like her. I understood that her past made her wary of men, but I didn't think that excused how rude she could be, to everyone. And, heaven forbid she ask for forgiveness when she realized that what she said had been unnecessarily harsh. Then, there's the fact that she simply left her friends, without givin
Lexie
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
So I ended up not disliking Louisa as much as I thought and in truth I can understand why she was the way she was (even if I'm a little astonished by some of it).

Also I would forgive almost anyone if John told me too. The big galoot :sigh:

+++

Oh Louisa. I remarked in the last novel, "Sara", that I wasn't looking forward to Louisa's novella because she was so blunt (almost cruel) towards Sara. In truth I did want to know why Louisa was so straight forward about most things, but the very picture of
Julie
Louisa- The Governess Club # 4 by Ellie McDonald is a 2014 Avon Impulse publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

It's my understanding this is the last book in this series. If that is the case, it is fair to say the series ended on a relatively positive note. This is Louisa's story, the founding member of “The Governess Club”.

Now that the other members of the club have moved on with their lives by getting married and startin
Melanie
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This is book four in the Governess Club series and second full-length novel in it. Like the previous story, I found this one well written and plotted and the characters in it were the ones that intrigued the most. How often do you have a bold headed hero? Not that often, and if I'm honest, I can't name one!

As for our heroine, I found her rude, but still intriguing. t took me most of the book to warm up to her and even when I got to know her better, I thought she was a bit too real.

I think this a
Arshia
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Review copy by Edelweiss.

Umm I was really hoping that I would like Louisa by the end of this story but that just didn't happen. I understood why she ran away from her family and why she was so prickly. However, she was a little too bitchy for my taste. Comparatively John was a complete sweetheart. He was a really good man and he was very considerate of Louisa.

Something else that bothered me was a minor plot line in the epilogue. It was never resolved
Dottiebears
I was torn on this rating. Overall I really liked the book. Liked the premise, liked the "not a titled aristocrat" as a hero, liked the turning around a business, LOVED the hero, John.

Louisa on the other hand was rude and downright hateful for most of the book. John could have done much better than her. I couldn't understand why her friends were looking for her when she was so nasty to them. She got better at the end of the book but I still didn't like her much. She came across and selfish and u
Shauna
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had to convince myself to read this one as Louisa is the most annoying character in the series. So of course it ends up being my favourite and I adore her now.
Annie
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh Louisa, it is women like you who give a bad name to feminism. It had so much potential, John was so good, the whole business partners setting was so good, but Louisa. Oh Lousia.
Tin
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Disclosure: I received this review copy via Edelweiss as part of the blog tour. Thank you to Ellie MacDonald and Avon Impulse for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

* * *

I have been waiting to read Louisa's story ever since I read about this stern, no-nonsense member of The Governess Club. Louisa always seemed so cold and distant, and I wondered about her. Louisa's story begins where Sara's story ends -- and Louisa has run away from Ridgestone and has found herself at The Beefy Buzza
Stevie Carroll
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Previously reviewed on The Good, The Bad, and the Unread:

This is a series that has improved with each book, at least in so far as it mirrors my taste for independent heroines. We hadn’t seen much of Louisa in the first two books, although she made quite an impression in the third, Sara’s story, with her actions at the end greatly influencing the finale to Sara’s bid for independence. Louisa’s story opens some time later, and it’s not immediately apparent what has happened to her in the meantime,
Gaele
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: avon, edelweiss, reviewed
The wrap-up installment of this lovely historical romance series, Ellie Macdonald has managed to bring all four of her characters full circle and bring them all a happy, if unexpected ending. After the end of Sara, we were left with a cliffhanger and several questions – all surrounding Louisa and her disappearance.

Far from my favorite of the four, Louisa is sharp tongued, judgmental and not always the nicest person to deal with. Her attitude and behavior toward Sara was pretty horrid, carrying
Miriam
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, series
Louisa wasn't the easiest heroine to like. She was cold, distant, and abrasive. The hard facade she presented to the world shielded her secrets from one and all, but it didn't hide the passionate woman she was. That woman appeared more often than not. That woman took my breath away. Her strength and competence shone bright in those moments, and it helped soften her hard edges a lot.

Man, oh, man, did Ms. Macdonald write Louisa the perfect hero though. A lesser man would have hurt her physically
Cara Ross
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of the Governesses books and so far Louisa’s story is my favorite of all the Governess books. I have come to feel like they are a part of me! maybe it’s because I am a Nanny, maybe it’s because I am British, but I think it’s really because this series is so wonderfully written and that it really does just blows me over with such wonderful story lines that I fall in love a little with each book.
But let’s get back to Louisa’s story. The book is well written and flows seamlessly; th
Kelly
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm ambivalent about this book... On the one hand, I loved a lot of things about it -- the hero is wonderful; it's fantastic that it takes place in an inn that provides employment to both characters; and I loved that the heroine isn't always patient and kind. But, on the other hand, I had a hard time understanding many of the heroine's motivations (mostly, I suspect, because I started reading this series with book 3, and I suspect that this book relies on a lot of characterization provided in th ...more
Jaci
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Ellie's books, her characters are passionate, intelligent and not typical romance heros and heroines. First of all the hero is bald and his name is Giant Johnny. He is an ex-prize fighter who won a inn named The Beefy Buzzard in a fight. The heroine Louisa arrives at the inn broke and running from a scandal in her past. She talks him into letting her work there. She is a strong character who is not the most likable heroine, but as you get to know her you realize she has survived o ...more
Sassy Moms Say Read Romance
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this series. Ellie did a great job at keeping the reactions and culture of the time period correctly.

John is such a lovable character and I could see his caring heart as well as his love for Louisa clearly. Louisa is a strong character that at times could be a bit stubborn.

They make this story flow quickly and easily. It really was no effort reading this story.

I am sad to see this series end.

Happy Reading... Adri
Lindsey
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first half of this book but the second half did nothing for me, accept for the last few pages that catches you up with everyone and their families.
I was hoping for a bit more. It was ok. I enjoy the first two books of this series so much more.
Monique Kelly
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this one was the best of the series!
Carolyn
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
I did not like Louise and the excessive sex scenes were gross.
Tessa's Books and Tea Room
Joanne Magnani
Oct 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 04, 2015 09:49AM
  • When Good Earls Go Bad (Dukes Behaving Badly, #1.5)
  • Sleigh Bells in Valentine Valley (Valentine Valley, #5)
  • Dorinda and the Doctor (The Duke's Men, #2.5)
  • Tempting a Devil (The Saint’s Devils, #2)
  • Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #1)
  • A Lady's Guide to Ruin (Birch Hall Romance, #1)
  • Burning Bright: Four Chanukah Love Stories
  • Cloaked in Danger (The Willoughby Family, #2)
  • Return to Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #3.5)
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • Summer Champagne (Seasons of Love, #4)
  • All the Pleasures of the Season
  • A Good Rogue Is Hard to Find (The Lords of Worth, #2)
  • Kentucky Home (Southern Comfort, #1)
  • Sinfully Ever After (Book Club Belles Society, #2)
  • The Night Before Christmas (Butternut Lake, #2.5)
  • Forbidden to Love the Duke (The Fenwick Sisters Affairs, #1)
  • The Once and Future Duchess (Royal Entourage, #4)
Ellie Macdonald has held several jobs beginning with the letter T: taxi driver, telemarketer, and, most recently, teacher. She is thankful her interests have shifted to writing instead of taxidermy or tornado chasing. Having traveled to five different continents, she has swum with elephants, scuba dived through coral mazes, visited a leper colony, and climbed waterfalls and windmills, but her favo ...more
More about Ellie Macdonald

The Governess Club (4 books)
  • The Governess Club: Claire (The Governess Club, #1)
  • The Governess Club: Bonnie (The Governess Club, #2)
  • The Governess Club: Sara (The Governess Club, #3)