Start by marking “Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals (Lessons from Fiori, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals (Lessons from Fiori, #1)

Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals

(Lessons from Fiori #1)

Elle Burton is an ordinary kid...or so she thinks. On her tenth birthday, she encounters Eunie Mae, a tiny, fairylike being who comes from a world called Fiori. Other than some children under the age of eight, the only human beings who can see Fiorins are guides-people who have been chosen to help protect the children of Earth. Being a guide seems like the opportunity of a ...more
Published June 15th 2014 by Wheatmark (first published May 16th 2014)

Jeannie Frazer
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is recommended for children but I'm an adult and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, too. It is told through the eyes of ten year old Elle Burton, who takes the reader on wonderful adventures that can often pull at the heart strings. Elle has been chosen as a guide by winged creatures called Fiorins to help them protect the young children on Earth. The dimension from where the Fiorins come from is a beautiful fantasy land where all things are a kaleidoscope of colour, larger than ...more
Jenny Orelle
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Elle is fun and feisty and brave. Peggy McAloon and Anneka have opened a window into an expansive world that comforts, entertains and will leave young readers feeling more confident and even wiser to the ways of the world.

We meet spirits with butterfly wings who watch over small children—but that won’t hesitate to hack into a computer when the need arises. In this world Elle becomes a guide called to protect the children she encounters. It’s a page-turning story with monsters and magical creatu
Janet Sketchley
Elle (pronounced Ellie) is one of the few humans gifted to see the fairy-like Fiorins after early childhood. It's her destiny to become a guide, one who helps children in trouble. The story is a blend of enchanting fairy tale and contemporary school-age drama.

There are some moderately scary sections, as when Elle helps a friend whose abusive father tries to kill the family, and delightful visits to the exotic land of Fiori. Elle's goal is to encourage kindness, and she does it well.

The only pot
Andrea
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2018, booktasters
“Age is not the definer, Elle. It is your heart that is the key to success in this world"

Thank you so much to Peggy for let me read this book in exchange of an honest review.

Elle is a ten year old girl very mature for her age that on her 10th birthday she began to be a guide to watch out for children with the help of tiny people with wings called fiorins.

This book is a MUST read for kids and parents. It shows us the courage and kind heart kids have even if they are suffering in their lives and h
Fhey
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though it is more on a child story, I still read it and enjoyed this wonderful book. This should be in the library and every children should read. It is really an inspiration and a MUST read book😀
Mili Fay
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
It is our natural instinct to protect the children in our lives, but do we protect them too much? The very real threats and issues children face today are usually swept aside in literature, because we believe that our children could not handle the truth about violence, abuse, and even bullying? However, I wonder: by all of this protecting, do we in fact leave our children vulnerable to the very real threats surrounding them? Do we prevent them from finding strength in themselves to stand up for ...more
Nada
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elle Burton and the reflective portals by Peggy M .McAloon & Aneeka Rogers -review :

Elle burton and the reflective portals is a buildngsroman about ten years old girl as she battles since her tenth birthday to accomplish the missions she was asked to do by the fiorins the habitants of Fiori a differnet world in other dimensions where their main role is to protect children and help them , Elle also struggles to come to terms with the new responsibilities after her father’s death and the birth
Rennlia
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to parents who are looking for a good story to read for their children whether on free time or for bed-time.

This is not only a book that tells a story, an imagination about Fiorin who are living in a beautiful places with wonderful creatures that exist to protect children from evil Zorin. Elle Burton and The Reflective Portal is a book that teaches children, in their young age, to be kind to people around them, and to be aware and helpful of their friends who is hurt
Gina Briganti
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals” is a charming fantasy story. It is suitable for all ages, entertaining, and just plain fun to read. The story is co-authored by a grandmother and granddaughter, which I thought was wonderful. The granddaughter’s picture is on the cover.

Elle faces a lot of challenges for a ten-year-old girl, including discovering a magical dimension called Fiori, where tiny winged beings live for the sole purpose of protecting children in our dimension. Elle is surrounded
Afroj Chandra
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this book, "Elle Barton and the Reflective Portals" is a book about a ten-year-old girl Elle, who gets to work as the "guide" appointed by the Fioris. The book tells about the journeys, lessons and changes she goes through.
To be honest, I don't remember reading fairy-tales for a while and first thought it was something like that. But as I proceeded, what I found was that the writer actually taught some valuable lessons, but through the eyes of a child.
What I liked most of this book is this pa
Joe Shumock
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book I would normally have picked to read since I write mystery/suspense thrillers. I would have missed a great read. Though "Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals" was written for a younger audience, I found myself quickly involved in the story line and pulling for Elle and her friends, both human and not. Who would know the little guys would have some of the same qualities and problems as the rest of us. And I found myself cheering for bad guys as they became better people.
Needl
Kerstin Vollbrecht
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elle Burton is a little girl, who, at her tenth birthday, gets acquainted with a fairylike being called Eunie-Mae, from the realm of Fiorie. As children are suppressed to btw able to see them only till they're eight years old, she understands that she's a guide in order to help other children, which leads her to adventures that chooks even put jet in danger. But, luckily, she's always accompanied by her Fiorin helper, Amadeus.
This is a nice fairytale-like story about a little girl, who is force
Barbara Stanaway
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Elle Burton and the Reflective PortalsI am an adult and enjoyed Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals. I'm sure that it would be very interesting to children as well...great story It's difficult to put down once a person starts reading. The message it gives about helping others and making a difference in the world. Great job Peggy. Will look forward to the sequel.
T.L. Parker
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals to my two daughters. Every night, they were so excited to see what was going to happen next. I loved it as much as they did. We absolutely loved the fantasy land and the Fiorins. Reading this story, we were on an adventure every night. The book is also interwoven with lessons all children should learn. Everyone should put this one on their MUST READ list!!!
Anthony Andrews
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book so much, I started it and didn’t really enjoy it but then got more and more into it and Peggy has done a great job on this novel. Massive thanks to BookTasters for sending me the e-book!
Lisa
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A cute story that is easy to get into. I was hooked and a little teary by the end of chapter two.

A story about a girl with wonderful and caring intuition. With a 'little' help she is able to help others in big ways.

A wonderful, feel-good, read!
Flopi
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
D.G. Driver
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fiorins are fairies that act like guardian angels to children birth through seven. When children turn eight the fairies leave them, and the children forget that they ever existed. Elle is different. On her 10th birthday something horribly tragic happens at the same time as something miraculous, and on top of all that she also discovers that she magically is able to see the fairies. It turns out that she is one of very few people who is a Guide, someone who can interact with the fairies and holds ...more
Alice
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is just so awesome. Lovely characters, an amazing story and just imagine the world McAlloon builded... I really loved going to Fiori, sometimes I wished I could stay there forever. It's just so fascinating! The way she describes all this is so great, it's like she draws a picture of everything in your head, like you're abled to see it by yourself.
Now, the story. How to write such amazing stuff?! I cried with Elle, I laughed with her, I was in danger with her... The story is simple and
Jocelle
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals is a fantasy Children’s book that even kids-at-heart will find it enjoyable to read.

It is about the adventures of a 10-yr old girl named Elle, who was given a big responsibility as a guide to children her age, most specially younger.

The Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals would be a great reading material for grade school kids as it does not only enhance children’s imagination and creativity, but it is also rich with good lessons to learn. I believe ki
Leena Althekair
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One word: awesome! A very enjoyable read. I am aware it's supposed to be a kids' novel but I'm 15 and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the book. Peggy had me on my toes through every chapter.

Elle is picked as a guide - to help children in distress around her town. The characters touched my heart and made me cry - it's true; there are so many things wrong with this world we could fix, it's sad. So many children out there that really break my heart.

11/10 would recommend. I urge you to read it
Sharmaine Erika
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great read for anyone who loves fantasies, children and adults alike. I love how the author created the world of Fiori, and also I like Elle as a heroine, she was created wonderfully, she’s a compassionate and brave young girl who’s not afraid to do to protect that people who are important to her. The story itself is so enthralling that I love every bit of it, now I can’t wait to read the next book and I hope everyone else would also read this book :)
Yolisa
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The book is innocent,clean,full of adventure,keeps you interested in every page.The young protagonist with supernatural powers has wisdom,compassion and guts more than a lot of adults.It's a fairytale but It is so real at the same time,you can give the book to your under 10 years child and they'd be inspired to strive for the best in their own lives- very inspirational.
Yolanda Zondo
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have three nieces and two nephews, all of different ages. Since birth I have wanted nothing more than to shield them from the evil of this world. But the world we live in is unfortunately cruel, and all we can do is prepare the children. This book can do exactly that.

Peggy McAloon and Anneka Rogers provide the reader an adventure that is seamless to follow, yet educational to store; in Elle Burton and the reflective portals.

In a world like ours, led by Elle Burton we are taken through her di
Samin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Elle Burton is a ten-year-old girl who is gifted to see the Fiorins, winged creatures who help young children on earth, this cute girl as a guide helps Fiorins protect children from all over the world so they would have better lives.
The story is a blend of enchanting fairy tale and contemporary school-age drama but me, as a teen, thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It includes wonderful adventures of Elle and each of them will teach the reader how important it is to be good and to help other
Erica Mae Campos
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Originally published at my blog: https://bookishpuffcorn.wordpress.com...

Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals is a fantasy read for middle-graders. The story revolves around Elle, the chosen guardian. She was ten years old when she first found out about the existence of the fairy-like creatures called Fiorin. A fiorin has to give a newborn their first breath to ensure that it would grow to have a kind heart. They each have a child to take care of. As the chosen guardian, Elle has the ability t
Ania
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book reminded me of my childhood dreams.. there were times I was scared. There were times I felt so lonely and insecure and there was no one to help me so i started to create this imaginary world in my mind a world full of fairies- nymphs- Elves - mermaids- hobbits- pixies and every other imaginary creature- and after reading this book i was surprised to realize that Fiori was a lot similar to that imaginary world I had on my mind !
this story is about a girl named Elle who meets a fairy fro
Sharon
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals is a fantasy story about a little girl named Elle who is gifted to be a guide that responsible to help other children in needs. Through reflective of a children, Elle are able to enter the land of Fiorins and met with other interesting characters as well as exciting and dangerous adventures.

I think this book encourage other children to be kind, brave and have a big heart. A simple act of kindness could give a larger changes in other's live.

My favorite part
S.A. Molteni
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Elle Burton by Peggy McAloon is an wonderfully crafted fantasy geared towards middle grade children, but also one that adults can enjoy.

Elle is a young girl whose father is killed in Afghanistan while leading his troops to safety. Elle is contacted from beyond by her father at the same moment her baby brother is born. Shortly after this, Elle learns that she is a guide for the Fiorins and is tasked with helping them to protect children. Throughout the book, Elle is faced with many challenges, bu
Stephanie Collins
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this book a few years ago, and I anxiously awaited my youngest to grow old enough to read it with me. It was well worth the wait! My daughter, now 11, loved it, as did I. She was a particular fan of Fiori, but she loved the entire story, across the board. It took us considerable time to read through, however, as it prompted much discussion about some of the issues she sees/faces at school and with her friends (like her best friend's recent loss of her dad, for instance). That's the best re ...more
What is your favorite form of magic in the book? 2 2 Jul 26, 2014 05:09PM
  • Gideon's Day (Gideon, #1)
  • Body of Proof: Tainted Evidence In The Murder Of Jessica O'Grady?
  • Diagnosing Giants: Solving the Medical Mysteries of Thirteen Patients Who Changed the World
  • Missing Mom: A True Crime, True Family Story
  • Christmas Eve, 1914
  • The Book of Beasts
  • Queen of the Mersey
  • The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)
  • One Deadly Night : A State Trooper, Triple Homicide, and a Search for Justice
  • The Mammoth Book of Bizarre Crimes
  • The Courtship of Miles Standish
  • Blind Rage: A True Story of Sin, Sex, and Murder in a Small Arkansas Town
  • The World's Most Bizarre Murders: True Stories That Will Shock and Amaze You
  • Death Sentence: The True Story of Velma Barfield's Life, Crimes, and Punishment
  • When Evil Came to Good Hart
  • The Killing Kind
  • Avoidables: Serial 1: Episode 1
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
Peggy Mound McAloon grew up in a small farming community in the Midwest. As a child, she suffered abuse and bullying. Those experiences were her inspiration in writing the Elle Burton series. In her words, "I want to inspire kids to have a kind heart and help others and also empower kids in trouble to seek out someone who can help them." She is thrilled that "Elle Burton and the Reflective Portals ...more

Lessons from Fiori (2 books)
  • Missing (Lessons from Fiori, #2)
“Elle, you have a pure heart. You possess love and compassion for your friends and for people you have never met. You have made a huge difference in the lives of fifteen widows and their children. Those children will now grow up safely and be able to provide opportunities for their own children and grandchildren someday. In the end, you will have made a difference in thousands of lives. That is no small feat.” 2 likes
“I will be with you in the sunrise that warms and brightens your face and in the stars you gaze up at when you fall asleep at night.” 0 likes