Start by marking “Night After Night” as Want to Read:
Night After Night

Night After Night

(The Cold Calling #03)

A spooky supernatural thriller by the author of the Merrily Watkins series

Liam Defford doesn't believe in ghosts. As the head of a production company, however, he does believe in high-impact TV. On the lookout for his next idea, he hires journalist Grayle Underhill to research the history of Knap Hall—a Tudor farmhouse turned luxury hotel, abandoned by its owners at the
Published January 1st 2015 by Atlantic Books (first published October 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Night After Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night After Night

Start your review of Night After Night
Susan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After having read, and enjoyed, “The Cold Calling,” and “Mean Spirit,” (written under the pseudonym Will Kingdom), I wanted to read this; a stand-alone novel, but one featuring many of the characters who appeared in the previous books, such as Cindy Mars-Lewis, Marcus Bacton and Grayle Underhill.

The setting for this novel is the eerie Knap Hall, previously owned by famous actress Trinity, who operated it as an exclusive hotel for the privileged. When disaster strikes, her husband, Harry Ansell,
allbooksnoheart
Amazing. Un-putdownable. Thrilling. Absorbing. Obviously Rickman.

I read this in two days- could barely stand to put it down when real life intruded- but how could I resist the return of the beautiful Cindy Mars-Lewis, genderqueer shaman, cross-dressing mystic wit, just as marvellous as his earlier appearances in the books originally published under Rickman's psuedonym, Will Kingdom. Cindy! With his 'Wise Old Owl' pronouncments and wonderful words...Marry him, I would, if he were real.

Jody McGrath
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Actually a 2 and 1/2 but I rounded down because it didn't deserve a 3. It had some good characters, but with all the POV jumps, it was hard to get to know any of the very well. The book covered a large passage of time, which I think chunks of it could have been removed for more action later. Tons of stuff happened, just none of it was very interesting and nothing was ever solved or fully explained.

I think the book had good potential but never came close to reaching it. It just kept adding more
Miriam Städtler
Jul 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Convoluted writing style, bizarre ending, unlikable and unbelievable characters. Also making fun of minority religions is apparently hilarious. For all the so-called comedians in this cast I did not laugh a single time and the journalists can decidedly neither write nor speak in a vaguely entertaining manner. The story is dull to the extreme with not a single shudder of fear in sight. Only sheer determination brought me to the end. Truly, this book was a true disaster. Off to the charity shop it ...more
Damaskcat
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Assemble a group of sceptics and believers in a haunted house for a week and see what happens and you have Big Other. What could possibly go wrong especially as there are no such things as ghosts anyway - or are there? Leo Defford arranges to lease Knap Hall which is up for sale and he recruits Grayle Underhill to research suitable inmates for the house. Grayle is a journalist who used to write primarily about alternative healing, ghosts and anything vaguely spooky.

But Grayle starts to have
Jeanne Grunert
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I consider Phil Rickman to be among the three best horror writers alive today, placing him among Dean Koontz and Stephen King as the best in the world in the horror genre. That said, this book was a great disappointment.

Where to begin? We have a cast of unlikable, cardboard characters who speak in confusing bits and pieces. Half the time I had to go back and re-read the dialogue to figure out who was speaking because they all sound exactly alike.

Our protagonist, Grayle, is probably the worst
Kate
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this but somehow managed to finish it.

James Perkins
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I expect a professional writer should be able to use his native language competently, but this one has produced a book of such poor-quality prose, it feels as if it were written by a guy who had a bet down at the pub that he could write a novel in a few weeks, and this is the amateurish result. He leaves a lot of sentences unfinished, with a missing subject, as if he just couldn't be bothered; sometimes he mixes up the subject and object; he doesn't understand how articles, prepositions, and ...more
Veronica-Lynn Pit Bull
3 1/2 stars

Night After Night is the 3rd book set in Phil Rickman's Cold Calling world (which can get a little confusing since the first 2 books were originally written under the pen name of Will Kingdom). It could possibly be read as a stand alone - but I wouldn't recommend it. Like all of Rickman's books that I have read, Night After Night is an atmospheric and character driven slow build to a mystery that is both mundane and subtly supernatural. A large part of the enjoyment is steeped in an
J.A. Ironside
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not one of Rickman's best ones IMO but still very readable. As usual the edge of supernatural/paranormal happenings interwoven with the complex interplay of character interactions and local legend kept a steady layer of tension and intrigue front and foremost. It did take a good third of the book to really get going but I loved the concept. Celebrity big brother with ghosts where the ghosts might actually be real and hostile, vs the huge personalities and eccentricities of the celebs - clever ...more
Plum-crazy
I was expecting "Night After Night" to be a standalone novel but it's actually the third book featuring Grayle Underhill & Cindy Mars. No matter as I've read both the others (see below).

I loved the idea of the book - a group of contrasting characters spending the night in haunted house to prove/disprove the existence of ghosts - but I couldn't help feel that I was reading a "Merrily Watkins" book without the appearance of the main character. It was so similar in style - choppy, often
Lori
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creepy, unsettling and fast-paced. Rickman's melding of reality TV and the supernatural sets up an interesting premise and a compelling read.
Russell Sanders
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Phil Rickman writes very long, complex novels that have a strong influence of horror, usually based on Welsh folklore. And quite often, there is a rational explanation for why things are happening, yet the reader is left to wonder a bit. Rickman is one of my favorite novelists, and I usually devour his books, and despite the fact that I limit my reading to an hour or so a day, I speed through his 500-600 pages novels in about a week. His series of novels featuring Vicar Merrily Watkins, the ...more
Cathy Cole
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a reader of Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series, I've come to admire him for his ability to create a true sense of unease, of chills down the spine, of things just glimpsed out of the corner of the eye. He does this, yet keeps the story grounded in the real world. He does that again in Night After Night.

As Grayle Underhill begins her investigation into the 500-year-old Knap Hall, Rickman was succeeding brilliantly at making me very uneasy about the ancient Tudor farmhouse. In fact, I was
Angela
Jan 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just don't get Phil Rickman. I don't get his writing style with its dodgy syntax, very often there are no subjects, half finished sentences and clauses which stop in the middle only to be finished in the following sentence. What's that all about? Is it deliberate? If so, what's its function? I don't get the constant exclamations of 'oh my God!' and inane repeated references to a particular item of clothing - in this case it was a woolly hat, in another of his novels (yes I confess, I've read ...more
Andrea Stephenson
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A welcome return for Cindy Mars-Lewis and Grayle Underhill, previously met in the books The Cold Calling and Mean Spirit, written under the pseudonym Will Kingdom. And an interesting premise - a group of sceptics and believers brought together in a 'haunted house' for a version of Big Brother. But something dark lurks in this house which doesn't bode well for the filming to come...Another great story from Phil Rickman.
Caroline
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
I've enjoyed all Phil Rickman's books, but his stand-alones have always been my favourites.
"Night after Night" is a stand-alone, though anyone familiar with Rickman's writing under the pseudonym Will Kingdom, will recognise a few of the characters.
Although it doesn't pack a punch like "Candlenight" or "December", "Night after Night" is high on athmosphere and creepiness, a slow build-up to an explosive ending.
Andrea Collins
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anyone who enjoyed the Will Kingdom books will love this - most of the old gang are back again!. Oh, and it IS scary....
Jim Bowen
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, thriller
I don't know if you've necessarily heard of Phil Rickman before, but in case you haven't, he write mysteries of a semi-paranormal bent. His most famous creation is Merrily Watkins, a diocesan exorcist, who gets pulled into mysteries by the local police force, when there seems to be things of a slightly paranormal bent going on.

Rickman hasn't written as much about her of late. Maybe it was becoming hard to come up with new stories (how many rural/semi-rural religious conundrums can there be?), so
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-horror
So, I liked the premise of this book: a behind-the-scenes look at a celebrity reality TV show, much like Big Brother, set in a haunted house. That's right up my alley.

However, I found Rickman's writing style awkward, as the point of view would shift without warning from character to character, breaking the flow of the story.

Plus, the ending seemed rushed and rather anticlimactic after all of the build-up.

Yet, despite this, I would probably pick up another Rickman. I found the plot compelling
Diane Dickson
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read from Mr Rickman. I am a bit disappointed that I didn't realise that though it is a stand alone story I could have read other books with the same characters earlier. Not to worry I'll probably get back to them.

For me this seemed to be a different style to the books I've read before by this author. i loved the premise of the story and the characters were many and interesting and some of them almost totally hateful.

The scene setting was excellent but then Phil Rickman does
Trilby
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Not Rickman's best effort. I found the book too talky, and the characters not well distinguished. In some places, I had to go back to figure out who was talking or to pick up the narrative thread. I wanted to slap the main character, Grayle, several times to sober her up. She seemed weak and whiny, her motivations aren't clear, and she's pretty much a crap researcher.

I had a hard time imagining the house, and it didn't seem spooky at all--mostly an architectural disaster. There's too much talk
Ms J Linney
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pleasure all the way

I loved this book, it was a true joy to meet some of my favourite characters again. Cindy, Grayle and Marcus are all as real ever. Another classic from Mr Rickman.
Jan Steele
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Phil Rickman's writing style and it makes for an easy and absorbing read. There was a point where this book dragged a little and I was keen for thing to move along to the action, but it soon did.
Vicky Coughlan
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark dark dark. Very good the way the suspense builds up. You can rely on Phil Rickman to spin a good scary dark yarn.
Lesley-anne Brewster
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
quirky characters, intriguing setting; cool combination of crime and supernatural horror
Laurie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Abandoned as the writing style is crap and annoying. Shsme as the story had me interested.
Ruth Anna Spencer
The story line is so current, I loved the idea but struggled to get into the characters. It might be me, in a reading lull as I love PRs work.
Paul Edwards
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Phil is my second favourite Author after Terry in terms of books read. This one was excellent as usual. did not see the end coming.
Karen Keen
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night after night by Phil rickman

Wow what a great rid kept me going did not see that ending like all good stories you don’t know the end until you read it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• In the Night Wood
  • The Coffin Path
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • White Silence (Elizabeth Cage, #1)
  • Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)
  • The Lingering
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The Unquiet (Charlie Parker, #6)
  • Five Stories High: One House, Five Hauntings, Five Chilling Stories
  • The Lovers (Charlie Parker, #8)
  • Wakenhyrst
  • The White Road (Charlie Parker, #4)
  • The Problem of Susan and Other Stories
  • Doggerland
  • The Black Angel (Charlie Parker, #5)
  • Marco’s Pendulum
  • The Secrets of Ghosts (The Language of Spells #2)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
aka Will Kingdom, Thom Madley.

Phil Rickman, born in Lancashire, has won awards for his TV and radio journalism. After five acclaimed novels, he introduced the fascinating Merrily Watkins series with The Wine of Angels. He is married and lives on the Welsh Border.

The Cold Calling (3 books)
  • The Cold Calling