Start by marking “The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)

The Providence of Fire

(Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  19,209 ratings  ·  1,084 reviews
Brian Staveley's The Providence of Fire, the second novel in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, a gripping new epic fantasy series.

The conspiracy to destroy the ruling family of the Annurian Empire is far from over.

Having learned the identity of her father's assassin, Adare flees the Dawn Palace in search of allies to challenge the coup against her
Published January 13th 2015 by Tor Books (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Providence of Fire, please sign up.
Madix-3 I kind of hated all of them by the end, which is a shame.
I kind of hated all of them by the end, which is a shame.
All in all, it feels like this is by and large a departure from the premise of the first book.(less)

·  19,209 ratings  ·  1,084 reviews

Start your review of The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
Navessa
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
EVEN BETTER THE SECOND TIME AROUND

For those of you who have been following me for some time, you know that I don't fangirl often…or lightly. I'm a decidedly picky reader. And the pet peeves, lawd, the literary pet peeves I have. It's rare that a book comes along and blows my frigging mind. It's even rarer when an author can pull this off not once, but twice.

Brian Staveley pulled this off. Hard. Wanna know how good this book is?

EVEN BETTER THE SECOND TIME AROUND

Brian Staveley pulled this off. Hard. Wanna know how good this book is?

Disney greeter: WELCOME TO THE MOST MAGICAL PLACE ON EARTH!

Me:

Family: Let's pass the time standing in line for this super fun ride by interacting with each other.

Me:

Family: Oh look, an aquarium!

Family: Sombreros!

Me:

Family: We're starving, let's have lunch in front of this incredible backdrop.

Family: Look, vikings!

Family: Foo dogs!

Me (after one too many plum wines):

Family: Ooh, pretty buildings!

Me:

Family: It's raining, take shelter!

Family: Beeeeeer!

Me:

Mom: THAT'S IT, GIVE ME THE GODDAMN BOOK!

We went on to have a lovely vacation. And enjoyed a lot of quality family time. Because they hid the book from me...

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Petrik
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

What a great improvement. The Providence of Fire, the 2nd book in The Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne trilogy was one of Goodreads nominee for best fantasy in 2015 and it’s for a good reason. Almost everything in the book, starting from plot progression, character development, actions, climax scenes, pacing and world-building are better than the first book in the series.

Before I start my review, I must address one FATAL TYPO in the book that changes the background of the main characters. In chapter 4, there is a satte
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Read this in Jan but only wrote down a star review on a piece of paper. Hmmm.. I found a few more like that, I think I'm going crazy er.
Melanie
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: Navessa
1.) The Emperor's Blades ★★★★★

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! No matter who you have in your life, or who you do not have, I hope your day is filled with love and amazing books.

Well, I'm not sure how I'm really going to function with the ending of this book, but okay. Holy shit! This book was so amazing! I thought The Emperor's Blades was action packed, and then this book just blows all those expectations out of the water!

“You can explain a lot of things to a man. His own death is not one of them.”

Our story still follo
Robin (Bridge Four)
Reread before The Last Mortal Bond with the usual crew at BB&B

Original Review:

3.75 What a great ending!!!

“They will not be ready to rule it,” he said, his eyes silent as the stars, “until they are willing to see it burn.”

I remember reading A Game of Thrones years ago and hating Jamie Lannister with the fiery heat of a thousand suns, but by A Storm of Swords I starting thinking maybe he wasn’t such a horrible person and in a huge turn around by A Dance with Dragons he is one of my favorite characters. So if George R R Martin can turn the atteending!!!
Em Lost In Books
So I finally read this. My first thought after finishing this book was that I shouldn’t have waited this long to finish it.

Story picked right where the first book ended. Kaden and Valyn are on their way to Annur, and Adare discovering the truth about his father’s death. Brothers go to Kenta where they separate ways and decide to meet at a particular monastery after a certain period of time. But both brothers fell in trouble and did not meet. Adare leave Annur to find an alley with which she cou
Deborah Obida
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fantasy
What did I just read? That ending killed me
I just can't, just when I thought things has gotten bettet it got worse than before for the siblings.

This is going to be a very in depth and lengthy review cause I love this book as much as it frustrated me. Some parts made me laugh so hard but sadly those parts were so few. Most parts of the book was so tense that I had to hold my breath for a while, I was so scared for the siblings, I still am cause I have no idea how in kent kissin
Sh3lly
This book was SO frustrating at times. OMG. I'm just going to list the good and bad, as I saw it.

The Good.

- I liked the new characters Kiel, Nira and Oshi, and Kegellen was funny.
- I loved the idea of the gods coming back in physical form. There is a lot of potential with that.
- Triste had a very interesting development.
- The leaches' abilities were expanded a bit more.
- Gwenna had some POVs.
- There was more of a fantasy vibe to this one.

Okay, yeah/>The
C.G. Drews
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG I HATE THIS BOOK SO MUCH THAT I LOVE IT. Shh that makes sense. But seriously I am in pain and I hate everything and rughghah qughhaur jaurkhgHGH KGH.

Also I listened to the audio and the voice at the end is all perky and like "I hope you have enjoyed this audible recording!" WELL NO. GO FLING YOURSELF INTO THE ABYSS. I DIDN'T ENJOY IT DAMN YOU.

*drastic sobbing*

Okay but I also rated it 5 stars so. Just bare that in mind with all my raging. And also it's impossible to write sequel review/>Okay"I
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Just Spectacular

The Providence of Fire is a marvel of modern epic fantasy with an an absolutely killer storyline that is bursting with richly detailed characters and heart in your throat moments.

The first book of the ‘Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne’ trilogy was one of the reasons I started reviewing books. It resonated with me in a such big way and I dug it so much I felt like I had to give something back and simply buying the book was not enough to show my appreciation for the awe
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/01/06/b...

You can always tell when I really like a book by how fast I devour it. I gave myself plenty of time to read Brian Staveley’s The Providence of Fire, anticipating it would take me at least a week or more to finish this huge honking tome of a novel, but it turned out I made short work of it, chomping through 600+ pages of this in a little more than three days.

I just loved this book, couldn’t put it down. This incredible sequel to The Emperor’s
Solseit
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dedicated some time to making a much longer review on books 1 and 2 of the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne! Let me know what you think about it!

- - - - -
Oh wow this was a treat.
I am still a bit confused about the end - well not confused I just need to connect all the dots really.

Some quick points: this is the first book in which I am liking the
Stefan Bach
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I hate this book. No, I love it.
Pretty sure I hate it. Yet, somehow I love it.
Brian Staveley's The Providence of Fire, the second novel in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne series.
Most divisive and conflicting book I have read in a long while. Well… actually, since its predecessor.
Book that reminded me - because clearly I needed a reminder – how I shouldn’t expect anything. Or else I’ll get disappointed. Or, in this case, angry.

Story continues immediately after its conclus/>
Choko
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fantasy-grim
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with my Fantasy loving family at BB & B

Second book, second amazingly engaging and ruthless jewel of contemporary Epic Fantasy! I knew I had stumbled upon something special when I read the first book, this one cemented it's place on my favorite shelf! Brian Staveley is one baaaad dude!!!

The second installment starts at the same time as the last ended. We keep on following the three Royal siblings and their choices and actions after the assassi
Armina
Buddy read with Gavin

4.5 STARS

This book surpasses its predecessor in many ways. It has better pacing, a lot of page-time from female characters(I really enjoyed the new POV chapters) and it feels markedly more epic.

The main focus is on human emotion, hope, fear, anger, despair and how the lack of emotion could give people strength. How the three Malkeenians respond emotionally to the constant doubt and treachery and how those emotions change them as people.

I'm not sure I'll have the time for a full
Brandi
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a story that makes them live in it.
Shelves: favorites

This is a really difficult book to review because it's one of those books that is an experience rather than a story. Brian Staveley is not only an invaluable new voice to the epic fantasy genre, and the literary world at large, but he's on his way to being one of the greats.
description
Don't wait until HBO or some film producer pick up the rights before you read this- it's that good. Actually, if the people who produce GoT took this on I'd expect it to live up to its awesomeness. I hope this happens because I need thatgreats.
Kells Next Read
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The weapon is a shield. The Foe is the friend. What is burned cannot burn again.

Where do I even begin with the sequel to The Emperor's Blade. I don't think I have words to embody the tornado of emotions that swept through me while I read this one. I think that I should make it clear that I did enjoy the this read. I still can't say if I found to to be better than the first as I am still trying to process all that has taken place.

For the most part, I found myself doing this for a great part of my read.

For the most part, I found myself doing this for a great part of my read.
 photo woman-pulling-hair-out_zpsoqfcqufx.jpg

The choices and rationalizations of our leads were STUPID to put it mildly ( esp. Adare) I honestly felt as though I could have strangle her. Her choices kept getting the characters I love most hurt and killed so I have a rising dislike for her character. Kaden seems like he's stuck in a hermit stage and my poor baby Valyn goes through the most suffering. I just can't stop biting my nails because I really do feel like just about anyone could be killed off at this point.

The last twenty percent of the book I was like
 photo what the hell_zpsbmqxtdk6.gif

Brian Staveley did a fantastic job ( putting aside all my frustrations ) with the story development. I honestly can't tell what to expect from anyone, in this action pack, suspense ridden read. Nothing is as it should be and I've personally taken to reading this book lying down cause it will surely cause you to faint with it's plot twist and revelations.

I already have The last Mortal Bond lined up to read but at this point I'm seriously afraid to start it. I think that I'll send up a silent pray first before even attempting to start it. This trilogy is worth the time peeps but I urge that you take some calming and nerve pills before you even start. The author pulls out all the stops in ensuring that he works your very last nerve ( in both a good and bad way )

Actual Ratings 4.5
Jaron Harris
Jan 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Wow, to say i was disappointed would be an understatement. I feel like the whole story just went completely off the rails. People were making inconceivable decisions left and right. The thing that sucks so much is that I really enjoyed the previous novel.
Bookwraiths
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
My rating is 4.5 stars.

Full review to come . . . sometime. :)
Kristen
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

The Skinny:

Three siblings, all driven by their passion to do the right thing.

Adare, far from the Dawn Palace, amasses an army to avenge her father.

Kaden, relying on the assistance of two unlikely acquaintances, makes his way towards the Annurian Capital to potentially claim the Unhewn Throne.

Valyn, chased by one group and held captive by another, is finally ‘free’. Unsure of who he can trust, Valyn is compelled by the need to punish those responsible for th/>The
Angela
I finished this book several hours ago. I feel sure that if I were to wait another year I still wouldn't have the words necessary to begin to do it justice. I struggled with the review for The Emperor's Blades, partly because fantasy is my home in genre reading, but mostly because I had no idea how my mere words could stand up to the beauty and majesty that was created by Brian Staveley. I face a similar, or worse, problem now. In The Emperor's Blades I fell in love with the Malkeenians and their world. I walked ...more
Michael Sliter
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars out of 5 (rounding up, as always).

The Providence of Fire continues the chronicles of the three siblings Valyn, Kaden, and Adare. I have two things to say to start the review. 1) Brian Staveley is a fantastic writer, and I am immensely jealous of his skill with words. The books have an absolute flow, and I have no idea how he can effortlessly weave in such apt similes and metaphors. 2) The characters constantly make hideously bad decisions. Such bad decisions that you wonder
Nasom
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love love love!!

I’m literally scared to read the last book, and i hope my babies survive 😭😭 (Kaden and valyn)
Bob
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-epic
In a stunning follow-up to The Emperor's Blades, Brian Staveley builds upon the character-driven adventure of the first book, expanding the history, mythology, and world-building to suitably epic proportions. More than that, The Providence of Fire reveals the treachery of the first book to be merely the opening gambit in a complex, wide-ranging game of conquest and rebellion.

Like the first book, this second volume follows our three protagonists - Adare, Valyn, and Kaden - through the
Gavin
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a hard book to rate and review. In many ways The Providence of Fire was a stronger book than The Emperor's Blades. It was faster paced, full of surprise twists and turns, and just all round more exciting to read. Unfortunately all three of the main POV characters developed in directions that I disliked. Which is a pity because without a core of likable lead characters to root for this series becomes a bit like a poor man's A Song of Ice and Fire.

The plot itself was quite good. The action picked up wher
Angela
5 November 2015: $2.99 on Kindle

Jody
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow! Great ending! Starting book 3 immediately.
Rob
Executive Summary: I liked it, but didn't love it. The supporting characters really shone, while the "Emperor's Blades" seemed dull.

Audio book: Simon Vance is excellent as always. He was one of the main reasons I decided to try out The Emperor's Blades. His performance is such that this series remains a must audio for me, even if it means waiting a bit longer to get my hands on the next book.

Full Review
So I gave this book the same rating as The Emperor's Blades, and I think in many ways it's better. But I also/>/>Audio
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
Man I thought the first one was awesome....Jesus! This was grim,dark and brutal but so enjoyable. The characters grow, we see more of the world and the different aspects of it. The Ishien....wouldn't want to meet them...ever....I was pulled in by the hairs all the way into this tale. Looking forward to how this all resolves. Another 5 stars:D
Kitty (I solemnly swear that I am up to no good)
Feb 09, 2014 marked it as can-t-wait-for-release-day
Why oh why do I start a series when it isn't yet completed! I mean, seriously Brian Staveley, 2015??? Impossible
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Providence of Fire [Jan 25, 2018] 53 55 Mar 07, 2018 04:50AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Providence of Fire 60 70 Jan 24, 2018 06:38PM
The Not a Book Cl...: TPoF: Part 1: Chapter 1 - Chapter 6 14 66 Mar 14, 2016 04:41PM
The Not a Book Cl...: TPoF: Part 5: Chapter 33 - Chapter 41 8 80 Sep 17, 2015 07:02PM

• The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet, #2)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)
  • Shattered Pillars (Eternal Sky, #2)
  • The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3)
  • The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
  • Ruin (The Faithful and the Fallen, #3)
  • Blood of Innocents (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #2)
  • The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
I live on a long dirt road in rural Vermont, where I divide my time between writing, baby-wrangling, running trails, trying to play the banjo, and various home repairs that multiply at a truly astounding rate.

Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne (3 books)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
“People kill to get power, they kill to keep power, and they kill if they think they might lose it, which is pretty much always. Even if you and I both stay out of it, even if we both die, whoever came after us will keep coming. They’ll find the next threat, the next worrisome voice, the next person with the wrong name or the wrong skin. Maybe they’ll go after the rich for their coin or the peasants for their rice, the Bascans because they’re too dark or the Breatans because they’re too pale—it doesn’t matter.” 5 likes
“There’s no shame, the Kettral said, in crying in your own rack. The rest of the equation remained unspoken, axiomatic: you could cry all you wanted in your rack, provided you got up again in a day or two, provided that when you got up, you went back out, and that when you went back out, you were the baddest, fastest, most brutal motherfucker” 5 likes