Start by marking “Promises Hurt (Promises, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promises Hurt (Promises, #1)

Promises Hurt

(Promises #1)

I wasn't planning on falling for Ethan Jamison, hell I wasn't planning on our paths ever crossing. He’s the most popular guy at school and a complete player. Me; I’m the perpetual good girl, trying to carry out one last request. But when you make a promise, how far do you go to see it through?

~ Blair

It’s a running joke that I’m a terrible liar, if only people knew the tru
Published August 2nd 2014 (first published July 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Promises Hurt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises Hurt

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

Okay so I literally just finished reading this book, I could have probably finished it last night but I was way too angry. I'll mention why later in my review. But right now after that humongous cliffhanger, all I'm feeling is this:

Did the book to have end at the worst possible moment?

Anyway here's an extended synopsis:
Blair Thomas, just lost her friend, Em, to leukemia. The day after Em died, Blair gets a letter Em wrote before she died. Em had a bucket list, a few things she wanted to do befor
Annie Brewer
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fuckity! Fuckity! Fuckity! Fuck. Fuck. Shit!!!!!!! This can NOT be the end. My heart is no longer in my body. It's been massacred. utterly and painfully yanked frim my chest. OMG, what a cliffie from Hell!!!! Can we say Jessica Sorensen?????? Yeah, it's that bad a cliffie. Member Coincidence of Callie and Kayden? Bet you do. It's that book all over again.

But I loved every god damn second of it....until the end. Now I'm gonna go do something to get my mind off this brutal and cruel ending. AH!!!
Jo
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I think I've calmed down enough to actually write a review for this book now!

Promises Hurt is a debut novel for British author Elle Brooks and was recommended to me by a fellow blogger as something I would like!

And boy, did I like!!

The prologue and beginning chapters damn well nearly had me bawling my eyes out like a baby and if I hadn't have been reading in public I think tears would have fallen!

The story revolves around our two main characters, Ethan and Blair.

Ethan is an out-going, member o
Kelly 'Perusing Princesses blog'
IT'S LIVE!!!!!!! GET YOUR COPY NOW!!!
AMAZON:
USA: http://amzn.to/1pwLxrQ
UK: http://amzn.to/WSuerI

Read and Reviewed for: Perusing Princesses
Website: www.perusingprincesses.com
Blogger: perusingprincesses.blogspot.co.uk
Facebook: www.facebook.com/perusingprincesses
Twitter: @peruseprincess

"Beautiful, heartfelt, emotional and immeasurably profound. Promises Hurt took my breath away." ~ Kelly - Perusing Princesses

My heart is in my damn throat right now. Don't you just love it when a book does that? Pro
KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕
MY RATING: ☆☆☆☆ Stars - Promises Hurt by Elle Brooks

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

☆ Complimentary copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review ☆
~ THANK YOU ~

God where to start with this, at first I really didn't think I would like it or that it would hold my attention as it's very YA to what I am used to reading..BUT and it's a huge BUT I actually ended up really enjoying it, oh and there is another but and it's a huge mother of a BUT!!

BLAIR AND EMILY BEST FRIENDS

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm struggling to write a review because no
Gwen ~the Book Diva
4.5 stars! Just wow!

*ARC provided to G the Book Diva blog in exchange for an honest review*

I started this read thinking it was going to be an average high school romance type of read. WRONG! I was crying by 5%!!
 photo fair_zps13334aee.gif

NOTE: Don't listen to this on text-to-speech while driving, it's hard to wipe tears and swerve through traffic at the same time.

I don't mean the cool kind of swerving either...
 photo swerve_zps477a6b2a.gif

I'm talking about the idiot kind of swerving...
 photo dope_zps4f123ad2.gif

Seriously, though. There was a lot of depth to the characte
Jo
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
It’s not often that I start off a book review with a warning. But here it is – DO NOT START READING THIS BOOK IN PUBLIC!!! I started reading it in a local coffee shop…. take it from me, it is not dignified to be blowing your nose on a coffee shop sized serviette!

This book grabbed me from the off. There was an immediate connection with the characters (hence the nose blowing!). The story was engaging and heart felt, and will leave you feeling emotionally wrung out and elated at various points.

The
Elizabeth (Perusing Princesses)
Wow... Holy holy all that is holy omg what a book!!! Seriously.... Omg!!!
I normally steal clear of younger romance... But my co-Princess Kelly just luved it.. And I have to agree... Fantastic... And the last couple of chapters.. I just didn't breathe... And The ending....OMG!!!!!

WHEN is the next book?!?!?!??!
Fiza
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult, romance
*•.(*•.♥.•*).•*Review*•.(*•.♥.•*).•*

A few weeks after Blair’s best friend ,Emily, passed away, she receives a letter from Emily. It’s her unfinished bucket list and she is asking Blair to finish it for her. Wanting to honor that wish Blair promises to complete it.

But things are weird without Emily and Blair is having a hard time adjusting. That is until she’s assigned to help Ethan with his math. In Ethan she finds a new friend and in so she’s able to deal with Emily’s death. By some twist of fa
Jacqueline
This was a sweet story of first love with some tear-jerking drama thrown in.

He's the high school hottie plus he's also in a band. She's a nerd girl who doesn't realise how attractive she is. Oh and a virgin. Yeah so pretty cliche. Fortunately these two have good banter and chemistry so it kind of rescued this one for me and I enjoyed most of it. I personally found the issues both of them were struggling with to lack something and I wasn't quite feeling them; it made for a strange marriage of flu
Sara
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: august-2014
So this was probably 3.5 for me. Which doesn't mean I didn't like it. I did. It was a bit YA for my normal taste. Review to come.
Rachelann
My reread review... 3.5ish

I don't know how the heck I went from 5 stars to this. Usually I enjoy books better the second time around, because I catch new details and what not. Those details did not please me. -_- I still like the storyline, it was gripping. But the word repetition is this book drove me mad this time around. I was literally cringing from reading "princess" or "you love it" a billion times per page. Ugh. I'm disappointed.

Old review

I received a copy of this book in exchange for
Erotica Book Club
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**** EROTICA BOOK CLUB REVIEW ****

Promises Hurt

by Elle Brooks

Expected release date: 2nd August 2014

I do not even know where to begin with this review, Blair finds herself tutoring Ethan and finds herself crushing on him but there is so much more to this story and I really don't want to say any more because I do not want to spoil the story so I shall carry on telling you what I think of this book!!

I found myself crying almost continuously thought this book and at times I was scared to pick it ba
Rosa Sharon (iScream Books Blog)
5 hand-on-heart stars...
Wow! I can't believe that this is Elle Brooks debut novel, it was incredible. I'm trying to figure out how to write a review when I have no words. First of all I must warn readers that there is a cliffy, however; I'm still giving it 5 stars and recommending it. I didn't want it to end, EVER! I actually ended up reading it by accident, I don't read YA on purpose. Best mistake ever! The characters are young, but they are very mature, life does that to you when it kicks you
Jaime
May 15, 2014 added it
There is something very special about these characters and story. I have become emotional attached and invested. I am not sure how you can read this book and not become committed.

It is so refreshing to read a story with a strong female lead: Blair is incredibly smart, emotionally strong, witty, real character that I instantly clicked with. She is the foundation for the story, the rock. She wears math quote t-shirts, chucks, and indie glasses. Ethan is the rock star, jock without being predictab
CeCe
DNF

Blair's BFF dies and leaves Blair her bucket list to finish. One thing on the bucket list was to lose her virginity to Ethan. Blair starts tutoring Ethan and one thing leads to another (quickly) and Blair and Ethan start dating. Ethan has a secret that he only has told Blair about. Everyone sees Ethan as an easy, fun guy, but he carries a lot of pain.

I could not finish this one. Great premise, but the execution in my opinion was poor. It was written so matter of fact. I did not feel any of th
Pauline Geekie
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Where to start, I absolutely loved this book.

Elle Brooks is a new author and dam I am speechless after reading the arc for this book. ethan and Blair are a match made in heaven. Blair is lovley and down to earth and a bit of a geek and ethan is a jock but also much more. I won't give much away but dam I want the next the book know. There is heart ach and tears and they are mine.

From start to finish this book is well written and the story is followed through, there wasn't one part of the story
Nadene
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOODNESS! What can I say.... I really enjoyed this book and I am so thankful that I was gifted this book in exchange for an honest review.

I fell in love with the characters right from the outset and the more I read the harder I found to it to put the book down.

Elle Brooks has done a wonderful job with these characters in her debut and I cannot wait for the next one to see where she will take them.

She has done a wonderful job with making these characters relateable and I found myself laugh
KAS
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! So good, but what a cliffhanger. Now need to read part 2, "Forgotten Promises".
Nadine Hook Me Up Book Blog
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love-romance
"I don't want to be the cocky asshole around her. I don't just want to fuck her - which, by the way, I do - I want to spend time with her. I want her to like me, the real me. Not the self-assured musician front that I put on for everyone else." ~Ethan

This was such a cute coming of age romance book with some serious twist and turns that left me gasping for air that made Elle Brooks debut a great entertaining, heartfelt and emotional read.

Let me start with her main characters Blair and Ethan. I
Southern Belle Book Blog
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
It’s been a while since I’ve lost myself completely in a book, but that’s exactly what Promises Hurt did for me. By that, I mean time just slipped away. I was in their lives. I was living, breathing, falling in love, and hurting right along with them. I looked up and realized I had been reading for 3 hours, and I had no idea. I figure if a book can make the world disappear and suck me in from the first chapter, it’s a keeper. This one did all of that and more. It’s emotional, intense, and comple ...more
Amy J Romance Author & Reader Events
ARC PROVIDED BY AUTHOR TO CLASSY LADIES DIRTY BOOKS FOR AN HONEST REVIEW
<3 Ethan ETHAN & BLAIR 4EVER

First off I want to acknowledge that as a reader I was very impressed by Elle Brook's first piece of work. This story is compelling and the characters likable.

The story starts off strong honestly I had no idea the story was going where it went from the first chapter. The authors effort to lure the reader in is felt in the writing. Blair and her best friend are young and very likable. A tra
Celesha Carillo
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I have a confession I am a cover whore, if I see a cover that I fall in love with then I tend to one click straight away, so when I can across Promises Hurt Series By Elle Brooks I one clicked it straight away, the cover was so pretty.

description

What I didn't expect was to feel what I did while reading this series it took me on a beautiful journey of love and heartache and I was lost in the world of Ethan And Blair.

Blair I fell in love with straight away, as soon as you open the book you are hit with ce
Emma Allsop - Perusing Princesses
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
5 Crowns

So I need to admit something at this point. This arrived on my kindle and as always I read the synopsis straight away. Yes, it sounded interesting but I stacked it into my TBR behind a few others in no immediate hurry to read it. THEN, my fellow Princesses read it, raved about it and so yes you've guessed it, I moved it on up of course to see what all the fuss was about. WOW!! How bloody glad am I that I did...

Promises Hurt is a story about good girl Blair and popular boy Ethan. At 1st g
Kim Howlett
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Promises Hurt is a amazing debut by Elle Brooks. The story is very well written and the characters were very likeable and well developed.
The lead female is Blair. She is a very strong person, whose extremely funny, smart and a all round good girl.
Blairs best friend has unfortunately passed away and has left Blair a bucket list that she wants her to complete on her behalf. One of the things on the list was to connect with Ethan, her best friends school crush.
Ethan is a very loveable character.
Keep Calm Novel On
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of the ePub from the Goodreads group Read 4 Review in exchange for an honest review.

What a wonderful read. Blair is recovering from the death of her best friend. Blair is truly a good girl—focused, positive, confident and comfortable in her own skin. She is not drawn into peer pressure. Blair begins to tutor bad boy Ethan. He is the bad boy according to his very public reputation. They are a most unlikely couple but the connection between them is undeniable.

The author brilliant
Malinda Burchett
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have had the pleasure of beta reading this book and I cannot express how much I enjoyed it! The author placed a couple of unexpected twists that I am not going to spoil for you, but I will have you either scratching your head or screaming WHAT???? Does that have your attention now?

Ethan and Blair meet after Ethan needs a tutor. Blair already knew who he was since her best friend had a secret crush on him for as long as she could remember. When Blair's best friend dies and leaves her a bucket l
Claire Fullwood
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just...WOW!!
What a brilliant first book by Elle brooks, and deserves so much more than the five stars you can give.
From start to finish I was hooked. The story is brilliantly written, and flowed beautifully. Every detail is described just enough to allow you to be sucked into the story and fall in love with the characters, Ethan and Blair.
At no time was I bored, or skipping pages due to the over use of key issues, which I often find in books.
I cried, I laughed, i tried to predict what was g
Fiona Sheldon
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Was kindly gifted this book in exchange for an honest review.

5++++ stars

What an amazing book, I absolutely loved it. My emotions reading this book ranged from tears, anger, sadness and finally frustration. Blair is a lovely strong shy young woman who at the tender age of 15 lost something so precious to her. Fast forward 3 years, she starts tutoring Ethan Jamison. The chemistry between them is almost instant. You can feel it flowing off the pages. This book will have you on an emotional rollerco
Alison
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves more than 5 stars - first time author Elle Brooks knocked my socks off with this one!

It is a briliant book, well written, great story line, amazing characters. We have the geeky Blair (with her t-shirts inspired by Sheldon from BBT) and we have the most popular boy in school Ethan - who is just going though the motions of life till he meets Blair, and finally we have Em - the most amazing and brave BFF a girl could ask for.

I wont give the game away but the ending left me speec
Never Too Old For...: Read 4 Review #227 - Promises Hurt (Promises #1) (Closed) 64 102 Jan 30, 2015 05:16PM
  • Wrecked
  • Fourth Down (First and Last, #3)
  • What If It's Right?
  • Rockstar's Temptation (Decoy #4)
  • Morning Stars (The Noctivagas Chronicle, #2)
  • Songbird Freed (Songbird, #3)
  • Cut Too Deep
  • Against the Tide
  • Missing Link (The Finders #1)
  • The Boyfriend List (Boyfriend #1)
  • Wild Abandon (Abandon Collection 3)
  • Promise It All (Blinded by Love, #2)
  • No One's Surrender (Chadwell Hearts, #3)
  • Forgiving Gia (Rocker, #2)
  • Forbidden Fix (Executive Toy, #6)
  • Tatted Cowboy (Down Under Cowboys, #4)
  • Away (Keaton, #1)
  • High Strung (Power Station, #1)
Hello...

I'm a little neurotic; I function on a tiny amount of sleep and a huge amount of caffeine. I love green skittles and have an irrational fear of stormy weather. When I’m not writing about super hot college guys, you can generally find me googling them...All in the name of research of course. I can be persuaded to do just about anything with the promise of a good book or a bottle of bubbles.

Promises (2 books)
  • Forgotten Promises (Promises, #2)
“My mind is desperately trying to formulate the words to let him know, to show him that my feelings run so much deeper than what those three little words can describe. I need to make him feel the way he's just made me feel, and 'I love you' just doesn't seem adequate anymore.” 1 likes
“The tension’s starting to suffocate me and I need to change the subject. This girl makes me want to tell her the truth and I’ve only known her for about ten seconds. “You” 0 likes