Start by marking “A Snake in the Grass (Jesse James Dawson, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Snake in the Grass (Jesse James Dawson, #4)

A Snake in the Grass (Jesse James Dawson #4)

Jesse James Dawson never wanted to find himself in the middle of a demonic war. However, with the addition of 275 extra souls to his life, he’s got a target painted on his back in the most literal sense. With his apprentice, Estéban Perez, in tow, he heads to Mexico where the boy’s mother, a powerful bruja, will hopefully be able to extract the souls without harm to any pa ...more
Published July 8th 2014 by Pirate Ninja Press (first published July 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Snake in the Grass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Snake in the Grass

Jul 13, 2014 Mihir rated it really liked it

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: After reading the third volume of the Jesse James Dawson series, I was excited about the direction of the series. However to mine & everyone’s disappointment, the publishers choose not to continue with the series & left the author in a slight lurch. The author though courageously promised that she would continue the series and hopefully self-publish the rest of the books (which at the moment is looking to be two books more).

Which bring

Not a lot of action and not really an urban setting, but still a fun read. I loved Sveta and would like to learn more about her character.
Dr susan
Jan 16, 2015 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-again
Too many of the series I love are not getting renewed. Thank the gods for indie publishing!! Otherwise, I would still be whimpering while curled up in a corner under my blankie clutching my plush Cookie Monster after hearing Mindspace Investigations did not get renewed. It took me weeks to leave my corner when I found out about Horngate Witches, and I learned last week an indie book #5 should be out this summer. And Kelly Keaton/ Kelly Gay has gone indie with both her Gods ..oops! Phone crashed! ...more
June Kramin
Sep 28, 2014 June Kramin rated it it was amazing
I wish I could put into words how much I love this series. K A Stewart has such a way with writing Jessie, I find myself swooning. (Yes, I wrote "swooning".) I never thought I'd read a series about a demon slayer, but the characters sure do it for me. I don't tweet many authors while I'm reading, but there were so many things that made me LOL throughout the book that I just couldn't keep to myself. I have a new phrase or 2 as well ...but I'm not giving them away! :) As always, great story line & ...more
Sep 02, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
I discovered K.A. Stewart’s Jesse James Dawson series several years ago when the first installment, A Devil In The Details, hit the shelves. Featuring demon-slaying samurai family man Jesse, the storyline and characters were a breath of fresh air in the crowded and often over-amped urban fantasy market. Jesse puts his own soul on the line in order to win back others’ from the demons. Sort of like betting at poker, except the cards are swords, the cash is souls, and the other players are demons! ...more
Sep 23, 2014 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
Starting to bore. Same old, same old. What saved this particular story were the ancillary characters: Carlotte, Terrence and Svetlana, of course. And Henry.

The problem with series like this (and Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid, D. B. Jackson’s Thieftaker or Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series) is that the author some raise the stakes in each successive story … without becoming silly. (Yes, I know, it’s silly to quibble about verisimilitude when discussing fantasies. Stay with me.) Most of the way throu
Feb 22, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Gah! Ends in a cliffhanger!

I've only recently learned that author Stewart plans on making the Jesse James Dawson saga into a six book series. I'm delighted!

First, I really liked it but it had the feeling of being an "in-between" story, the sort you write to fill in the gaps about characters. Though it does deal with Jesse's particular problem of the 175 souls he's carrying around, it is mostly about his protégé, Esteban. Still the plot comes round and makes it about Jesse in the end. All in al
Jul 16, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this more as I enjoyed the first three books. Sadly, I felt this one didn't work as well. Nothing happened. There was barely any action and what little there was, the main character had no part in it. He didn't instigate it, he didn't partake in it. There was no real build up throughout the story leading to the finale. It kind of came out of nowhere. It didn't even work as a family drama as none of the family members were fleshed out sufficiently to care about them.

I was saddene
Oct 22, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading about Jesse James Dawson and I'm glad Stewart found a way to continue this series after she was dropped by the original publisher. I am continually fascinated with how she manages to capture a male protagonist in first person and do in a way that sounds like a lot of the nerdy guys I know. Jesse has all the makings of an Indiana Jones-style lone wolf hero, except he isn't. He's got a support system, a wife and daughter he adores and another baby on the way, and he has no i ...more
T. K. Elliott
Apr 02, 2016 T. K. Elliott rated it really liked it
What did I think? I thought it was a great pity that this series has apparently been junked by the original publisher, and the author is having to go it alone and self-publish the rest of the series.

Glad she is, though.

Anyone who baulks at self-pubbed titles should not worry: I noted only a couple of editing errors (no more than in a traditionally published book). The quality is absolutely fine.

This book is an example of what the urban fantasy genre needs: a book with characters and plot. Both a
Sep 26, 2016 Darcy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, uf, demons, 2016
This was one of my more favorite series, but it's been a while since I read the last one. In a way I feel like this one didn't live up to the others. While there was some action, it was more about them trying to figure things out. The adventures in Mexico were a bit anti-climatic, it was more fun seeing Jesse interact with Esteban's family. The sit down at the end was slightly interesting, would be more if there were more books coming.
Kiril Panchev
May 12, 2015 Kiril Panchev rated it liked it
The story is too much stretched. I see that the author had to set some things in motion but a whole book for something that could be covered in 2-3 chapters? I was reading and waiting for something to happen. And we saw Axel only at the begining and the end. At least he has explained what is going on. And just foe the final chapter I would say I like the book.
Nayan Patel
May 23, 2016 Nayan Patel rated it really liked it
I am really glad that I was able to finish this book so quickly considering my hectic work schedule these days.

The story starts with Jesse deciding to accompany "young" Esteban back home where Carlotta and Terrence would help Jesse from releasing the 237 human souls trapped within his body. Acting as a beacon, he needs guarding at all times to ensure that no other demon is able to lay hands on this immense amount of power.

The story is well paced as usual and the characterization is top notch too
Jul 14, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Oh goodness, what can I say about K.A. Stewart’s A Snake in the Grass? It’s amazing, action-filled, urban-fantasy deliciousness. With each installment of the Jesse James Dawson series, the stakes get higher and I just can’t get enough.

Axel is also back in his full glory. I can’t get into it much here because I don’t want to spoil things, but let’s just say we now know for sure who and what Axel is and it’s wonderful.

Stewart had set this up for a heck of a climax with the next book. Fans of Jim B
Jan 25, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
It was good but it just lacked something. The first books in this series were on par with Dresden Files. I shall read another and hope for better.
Sep 14, 2014 Jp rated it really liked it
A fun action novel.
Nicole Luiken
Nov 14, 2014 Nicole Luiken rated it really liked it
Shelves: sfantasy, ebook
So glad the author decided to continue this series and not leave readers hanging! Jesse James Dawson fights demons, wagering his own soul to win back those who sold theirs. The events of last book have left him with the ability to sense magic for the first time, which makes for some cool scenes. This book also has a change of setting as Jesse and his Scooby gang travel to Mexico, the home of Jesse's protege Esteban. There are some very interesting developments in the long-arc foretold-demon-war ...more
B. Mantler
Aug 07, 2015 B. Mantler rated it it was amazing
This book is as good as the rest of the series and makes me want to go back to rest the previous ones just the enjoy the experience. Jesse sorta takes a side role due to his issue from the previous book, but he is still in the middle of the action at the end making it all worth it. He also doesn't think much of being pushed to the side by everyone else, which helps the reader with the situation. I can't wait for the next book as the last four have been so good.
Tom Dewitt
Jan 19, 2015 Tom Dewitt rated it really liked it
Another good JJD story from the talented K.A. Stewart. This one introduced to another Champion in the former of Sevtlana, and gave us more insight into Esteban's family. Although this book felt a little shorter than the previous novels, Ms. Stewart crafts a story although light on action sets the stage for the next and hopefully not last JJD novel. I hope we will have more JJD in the years to come.
Jul 28, 2014 JK rated it liked it
Eh. Definitely a "middle" book.
Oct 14, 2014 Ralph rated it it was amazing
I love this series and now have to wait too long for the next one!
Oct 18, 2016 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 :)
Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
hunter marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Reelika Raimet
Reelika Raimet marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Triggerbox rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Daniel Griffin
Daniel Griffin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Eric Lapointe
Eric Lapointe marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
  • Soul of Fire (The Portals, #2)
  • The Leopard Mask (The Guin Saga #1)
  • The Seven-Petaled Shield (The Seven-Petaled Shield, #1)
  • Love on the Run (Nola O'Grady, #4)
  • Allegiance (River of Souls, #3)
  • Oracle (The House War, #6)
  • Wisp of a Thing
  • Yeti and the Bird
  • A Liaden Universe® Constellation: Volume Two
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • No True Way: All New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #8)
  • Where the Trains Turn
  • Mist (Midgard, #1)
  • Caramba
  • Five Down
  • Dead Letter Day (Messenger, #3)
  • Bleeding Out (OSI, #5)
  • The Golden Princess (Emberverse, #11)

Jesse James Dawson (4 books)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2)
  • A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3)