Start by marking “Changing Fate” as Want to Read:
Changing Fate

Changing Fate

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
All Kate wants is to live. Battling cystic fibrosis is hard enough, dying from it is even harder. When her mom moves them closer to the hospital in the middle of her senior year, Kate's determined to isolate herself-saving everyone the trouble of befriending a dying girl. It's a difficult task when cheerful optimist Giana insists on being Kate's friend.

Kate's resolve falt
Published May 6th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Changing Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing Fate

Michelle Merrill
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know more about cystic fibrosis through a the eyes of someone suffering from it, this is a great way to gain awareness! It's an emotional teenage romance. What's there not to love?

I hope you all read and enjoy. I look forward to your reviews :)
Valerie Waters
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book was A-MAZING!!!! I usually hate real to life books and movies but not this one. I'm sitting here bawling at 12am. Kate has Cystic fibrosis and has kept everyone at arms length before this move. I loved how open and kind and friendly people were at the new school. Such a touching story! Giana was absolutely amazing! And Kyler wasn't like any teenage boy I've ever met.
Heather
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the end stage CF component may be a bit over simplified, the story is a solid read focusing on relationships in the context of life and death. I enjoyed the story more than I expected to, and the fact that it will help bring greater awareness to a disease that is close to my heart makes this a big win for me.
Hannah
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was an easy-read YA book with lovable characters. It also brought a new awareness of cystic fibrosis in a really natural and real-world way. I was a bit teary at the end and felt inspired to give and love a little more freely. Great read.
Kathy
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Touching story tainted only by the unlikely ending. Nevertheless I enjoyed it.

Content: Clean
Lydia Howe
This isn't the kind of book I'd normally read because it's really heavy on the romance. I'm pretty sure nearly every page has the main character thinking about hugging or kissing her boyfriend, so therefore I can't recommend the book.

BUT! It was amazing. And got four stars from me, which y'all know how rarely that happens. So, why the high rating? The book is from the perspective of a girl who has cystic fibrosis, something I'd never even heard of before reading this book. The first time I read
Traceylee
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why

This so a great book and one of my new favorite. With a girl with this terable illness and all her friend does to help her love on.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)

I am always grateful for books that help inform and educate me on something I don't know much about. I don't often get that sort of thing in YA fiction, but with this book, I did. Cystic Fibrosis is something I have absolutely no first hand knowledge of. I don't know anyone who has cystic fibrosis. I am completely ignorant. That must be the motivation behind the author's desire to write a book like this because by reading this book I learned many things I did not know about this disease
Kirsten Jany
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
My fourteen-year-old daughter and I both enjoyed this book. Neither of us really knew anything about Cystic Fibrosis, and it was an eye-opening read detailing the struggles of those affected. Learning about the grueling treatments and precautions sufferers must take makes you feel not only for the main character Kate, but for everyone going through this in real life. I also sincerely hope it will make people rethink their decisions to run around with cold and flu symptoms, with no regard for oth ...more
Kristin
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Walk in the Clouds meets A Fault in the Star, with a twist.

18-year old Kate is battling cystic fibrosis. She's determined to isolate herself—saving everyone the trouble of befriending a dying girl. But it becomes difficult when Giana insists on being Kate’s friend. Then Kate’s resolve falters even more when a Kyler captivates her with his songs. As her emotional walls collapse, her mom continues to push Kate to make friends in hopes that they can give her a reason to live before it's be too la
Englishrose
This was a very moving book. The raw struggle that brings awareness of the pain and torment of a tragic disease. The author weaves a stark story full of adrenaline and internal struggle. It feels like real life and I guarantee you'll need a box of tissues...or two...before it's over. However, while it did such a great job in this aspect, as a romance it seemed to fall short. The rest of the world the main character is living in is a bit fuzzy, including the love interest. After a while, it hardl ...more
Sarah Davis
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Michelle Merrills' words this book is truly "informative, emotional, romantic and supports a great cause." This teen romance is between a "normal" guy and a girl who is battling against Cystic Fibrosis.

All Kate wants is to live. But all she can focus on is dying. Until she meets Kyler. He can take away her focus. But he can't take away her pain. Kyler and her best friend Giana helps her live as "normal" a life as possible. Read this very sad, educational and sweet novel to find out what happe
Kelly Yekel
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Such a beautiful story. Kate's use of getting herself through the illnesses/CF, is remarkable, considering, her every day battle just to be able to breathe. At this point, I'm having trouble finding the words to describe this book, other than the effects of sorrow and love and happiness that each character had contributed was wonderful. Grab a box of tissues and read this story. (Then my review will make for better understanding).
Leigh
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been truly touched by this story. Sometimes there aren't adequate words when you have such strong emotions. This wasn't just a book about CF - it's a book about life. The characters are fantastic and fun, and I love following Kate's journey through life, while also trying to keep certain things to herself. There are many levels and arcs to this story that make it a great read that you really don't want to put down. I highly recommend you read it... like NOW!
Katy Starck
I love that CF has been brought up in a book, especially one geared toward young adults to raise more awareness. Unfortunately the book is more about the friendships and love life of this CF patient and not too detail focused on what actually happens in CF. Without giving away any spoilers Id just like to say that the events that happen in the end of the book are highly unrealistic. End stage CF is much more complicated and harder to deal with then is described here.
Alisha Buckle
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book dragged on for me, I felt like it was slow and contemplated even finishing it. I'm glad I did. I was hoping for a different outcome, but it was still beautiful. I'm left kind of mixed up, and sad. This book sparked emotions, and I cried. :-) but I love a good cry book now and then, and was hoping for a good 2nd half, and it was.
Shallee McArthur
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming and sweet, it made me giggle and tear up by turns. It also gives a good look into life with a rare chronic disease. I knew so little about CF before reading it, and it inspired me to look into it a little more, and gave me compassion for people struggling with the disease. And I love that the author donates some of the proceeds to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!
Heather Taysom
Loved it. My friend is the author.
Bonnie Tucker
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was an eye opener to CF that I didn't know about and to see a young women have to go through that was hard. But it gave me a new awareness to the disease.
Melani Mcbride
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First half was a 3 for me but finished stronger with a four.
Cole Conner
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I marked it as to read
Sarah Holtry
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and fell in love with the characters. Can't wait to see what the author comes up with next.
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Sundown, Sunrise
  • Breakwater
  • The Stone (Chronicles of Quat, #1)
  • The Exile Empire
  • The Husband Maker (The Husband Maker, #1)
  • Stick in the Mud Meets Spontaneity (Meet Your Match #3)
  • Where Life Takes You (Life, #1)
  • True Colors (Landry's True Colors #1)
  • Your Energy Speaks: Stories of Transformation through Energy Healing
  • He Came for Mine (The Protector, #2)
  • Shadow Man
  • Missing Tomorrow
  • The Cat Who Lost His Meow
  • Machine Gun Jelly
  • Fall Into You Part Two
  • The Vengeance Squad Goes To England
  • A Different Kind of Safari
  • Second Chances 101 (Ripple Effect Romance #5)
Michelle Merrill loves kissing her hubby, snuggling her kids, eating candy, reading books, and writing first drafts. She names her computers after favorite fictional characters and fictional characters after favorite names.
More about Michelle Merrill

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99