Start by marking “Revenge (White Collared, #3)” as Want to Read:
Revenge (White Collared, #3)

Revenge

(White Collared #3)

In the third sexy installment of Shelly Bell's serialized erotic thriller, Kate will finally entrust Jaxon with her secrets, but the lies he's told have the power to break her heart … and threaten her life.

Motivated by honor …
After a gruesome discovery, the men in Kate's life unite to protect her from imminent danger, but Jaxon becomes consumed by the fierce desire to possess h/>Motivated
Mass Market Paperback, 128 pages
Published July 22nd 2014 by Avon Red Impulse (first published June 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge

Delia Binder
In part three of this four-part series, which I (unofficially) co-read with my friend and co-GR Reviewer Donna J, series heroine Kate "Katrina" Martin finally explains her "bondage as a hard limit" issue to Jax: It's the result of having been handcuffed by the police when she was accused of killing her father, so it's all wrapped up in The Trauma That Has Warped Her Life. We also finally get the story of how her father died, and why she got accused of killing him ((view spoiler)) - and like a lot of stuff involving Authority Figures in his series, the Injustice Done To The Innocent is overdone and heavy-handed.

Like This - Only Less Subtle!

I know very well that miscarriages of justice often happen (not wanting this review to turn into a political rant, I'll spare you my examples for now). It's more that, in the cases we're presented with here, it's all Innocent Victim versus Torch-Wielding Mobs Led By Uncaring/Corrupt Authority, with no leavening whatsoever. Since all we get is Kate's PoV on her experience, I might be forgiven for thinking that her version of events is one-sided and self-serving - until a Heroically Tireless Social Worker comes along and uncovers evidence that exonerates her, there is quite literally nobody in Kate's backstory who is on her side!

It's part and parcel of Kate living in a crappy apartment in a bad part of town on her own, despite being able to afford law school, clothes suitable to appear in court in, and a Harley - she's poorly off enough to be always vulnerable, but well-off enough to present well at a major law firm, and it's never made clear how this is even possible.* There's a tone of Nobly Suffering Victimhood which underlies the entire series that I find hard to swallow, if I'm honest.

Simon Schama's THE POWER OF ART Does an Interesting Takedown of This Painting of Jean-Paul Marat's Death, and of David's Use of His Art as Propaganda - First For The French Revolution, and Later For Emperor Napoleon(!)

In any event.... Once Kate admits this to Jax, she also admits she's started to fantasize about bondage again, with him doing the tying. Jaxon Deveroux, being a very accommodating Dom, obliges her -

and of course, she loves it! (Well, how could she not...? :) )

He also uses a suede (less painful than leather or rubber) flogger on her for the first time, which she also loves - in fact, she basically takes a nap during the flogging! I realize this is the author's way of describing the concept of "subspace" to readers who either aren't sexually submissive themselves or have never experienced it - it's just that the way it's written becomes unintentionally comic....

With that out of the way, Kate goes to visit her (miraculously not-dead) former BFF Hannah (the one who was bleeding all over her crappy apartment at the end of the last book?) in the hospital. Her ex-boyfriend Tom (remember Tom - the charmer that Jaxon punched out near the end of Part One?) is also there, and he and Hannah inform Kate they're in love with each other,

a revelation that Kate takes with incredible equanimity, because really Tom never really lit her fire anyway. That Hannah quoted Tom slagging her as "frigid" upsets her more, honestly - because Hannah Is The Worst Friend Ever!

On her way from the hospital on her Harley

ANOTHER Kate Who Owns a Harley! Are Women Riding Overpriced, Overweight and Underpowered Ammurikan! Status! Symbol! Motorcycles Supposed to Impress Me, Somehow...?

Kate gets run off the road by a BMW (just like Jax drives - and everybody else with money in Detroit, apparently!), but recovers quickly enough to pull out the handgun both Jax and Nick insisted she carry with her everywhere as a Jeep pulls up - and out walks One of the Many Banes of Her Existence, Television Newstwinkie Rachel Dawson! Rachel does an abrupt face turn here (in all previous appearances in this series she's been the face of Irresponsible Bad Nasty Hurting Innocent People Yellow Journalism!), following Kate and the BMW that tried to kill her thus probably saving her life, offers her a ride home, and makes a deal with her to trade information for an exclusive. I have to say I like this sudden character twist more than I like most of the others - if anything, these characters need more shading whenever possible.

DIFFERENT Shading! VERY Different Shading...!

Anyway, Kate calls her Assholic But Hunky Boss Nick Trenton to tell him about the deal and what Rachel told her (that the cops thought they'd punched a hole in Jaxon's alibi and planned to arrest him the next day), and in the course of it lets him know how she and Rachel came to talk about this in the first place! Nick gets all Protective Dom on her - oh, and for once, Kate actually notices it as "Protective Dom" behavior, because part of her wants to submit to him, now!

Cazart! Could Nick Trenton Actually Be a Dominant...?

Jax comes over shortly afterwards, all Protective Dom himself, and tells her he wishes he'd collared her already because, and I quote,

“I want the power to punish you when you’ve disobeyed me and to reward you for your obedience. I want what I didn’t have with my wife. Your total submission.”

Mind, They're Known Each Other For, What, A Week...?

Oh, yes - and then the story informs that Kate's shocked because she's, and I quote again, "A Feminist" -!

What follows is the first time Kate's ever done anything close to putting on the brakes to what's happening between her and Jax! Or her and Nick! Or her and - any Other Remotely Dominant Male! It comes out of the blue, essentially, this whole "I'm a Feminist - and won't give myself over completely to this man I've been pretty much surrendering sexually to ever since we first met!" issue. It feels less like something organic to Kate's character than something inserted to delay Jax's collaring her for a chapter or two. There's never any real doubt, given's Kate totally subbie personality, that she will become Jax's collared submissive - unless she becomes Nick's collared submissive first!

Again - let me say there are plenty of women, both in fiction and in reality, who are feminists in their regular lives and submissives in the bedroom. Most of the D/s romances I like are about women who balance this dichotomy - just about every Sindra van Yssel heroine qualifies, as does Chelsea in Natalie Anderson's BREATHE FOR ME, Lucia aka "Kitten" in Ann Mayburn's MY WICKED VALENTINE, Abby in Julia Devlin's THE BURN LIST, Zoey in Reese Gabriel's TIE ME, TEASE ME, and even Nichole in Kristen Proby's TIED WITH ME. In real life, one of the most sexually submissive women I know is a retired US Military Colonel in who served during both Persian Gulf Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I know and know of submissive women who are filmmakers, attorneys, doctors, scientists and businesswomen. I think of myself as somewhat feminist outside the bedroom, honestly.

But Kate Martin doesn't read like that at all. Despite our having been told , at length, that she's considered a Top Catch for any law firm once she graduates and passes the bar (yes, all this is going on while she's still a law student and an unpaid intern!), she comes off more as a deeply damaged and easily-dominated dishrag than a strong. assertive woman who's discovered a yearning to sexually surrender. As I've consistently said throughout my reviews of this series, what we're shown of Kate is quite at odds with what we're told she's like!

Anyway, they go to Benediction that night "pretending" to be Dom and subbe (because of that whole "You can't collar me because I'm a feminist !" thing)

SURE You Are, Kate!

and Kate goes in alone to undergo electrical torture while questioning Anthony Rinaldi about Alyssa's "New Master". This is actually one of the best scenes in the series so far - Rinaldi's believably sadistic and dangerous, while at the same time quite helpful to the investigation, and the electrical play is written to be both painful and (for Kate at least) intensely erotic. Rinaldi also makes the interesting suggestion that perhaps Kate should consider becoming a "Lawyer to the Kink" - one of the point this series makes is that Michigan is a very kink-unfriendly state (according to an article in MOTHER JONES, "sodomy" - aka "deviate sexual conduct" - is still illegal in Michigan, despite the Supreme Court ruling over a decade ago that anti-sodomy laws are unconstitutional). The scene ends with Rinaldi, having slowly escalated his electric torment of Kate and seen that it just turns her on more, cranking the dials all the way up - !

which leads to Jax breaking into the room and having to be physically restrained from punching Rinaldi's lights out. For Kate's part, she almost came from the experience - thus making it clear she's not just submissive, but a masochist as well. When Jax carries her out, swooning and sopping, she realizes that yes, she does want to be his collared subbe, and tells him that....

Told Ya So! Told Ya So!

So, Jax collars Kate with a sort of close-fitting necklace/choker, then has public anal sex with her on the stage in the middle of Benediction - unmasked ! Moreover, the head of the law firm Kate interns for, Miles Joseph, is watching one of his interns being buttfucked by one of his firm's clients (the one who's the prime suspect in the S-M style homicide of his own wife) in the middle of the private kinky sex club they're all at!

Remember how Kate was always supposed to be wearing a mask, to protect her identity? Remember also how Jax is claiming one reason he wanted to be Kate's Master is so he has the right to do whatever he thinks is appropriate to protect her? Well, publicly committing sodomy with his new slavegirl in front of God and Everybody without even the dubious identity protection of a mask is sure a great way to start off "protecting" her, isn't it?

The next morning in Jax's home, Kate gets a call from Nick that Jax's alibi is crap - a woman claimed she was with him on the night Alyssa died, they split up around midnight, and he was seen on security footage leaving the hotel then! Kate flips out again over One More Betrayal By Someone She Trusted, and doesn't give Jaxon a chance to explain before tearing into him about lying to her - though it's hard to tell if she angry about his lying about his alibi, or about his not touching another woman between Alyssa and her! She tells him she can't be with him any more - but still accepts his offer to borrow one of his cars to leave!

"I Never Hated a Man Enough to Give Him Back His Diamonds...."

In the car on her way home, Kate gets a call from Logan The Red Herring - turns out those threatening e-mails Kate got in WC2? (view spoiler) So, guess what Kate Martin, Subbie Detective, decides to do next...?

There Are Not Enough Facepalms in All of Space For This One!

(view spoiler) To his credit, even Logan suspects she's about do to something phenomenally boneheaded, and tells her to leave it to the cops. But of course she doesn't, and of course (view spoiler), and of course there's a confrontation and Gloating (but vague, since it's only the third out of four books!) Villain Speech, and of course when Kate pulls her gun to shoot she can't bring herself to pull the trigger, and of course (view spoiler) - and of course

A hero’s worried face flashed in front of her.
The gunshot thundered in her ears.
And everything went black.

In my review of WC4, I'll address in more detail my major issues with this series (Lucky You! ;) ) - but I'd like to leave you with just one thought first: Kate Martin is a supposedly-brilliant woman in her final year of law school, who is by everything we've seen to date behaving like a two-year old running through the house with scissors. She doesn't need a Master - she needs a babysitter.

----
* I can't help remembering Hunter S. Thompson telling about his attorney friend Oscar Acosta, who washed dishes during the day while attending law school at night in order to became a lawyer - and advocate for Hispanic and Recreational Drug User rights.
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
4 STARS

Although I still think I know who did it, this is a twist I didn't expect. Why do people not tell the truth? I don't understand why people tell little white lies that always come out and will get them in trouble. Jaxon should have opened up to her before he committed to her. He should have made sure everything was out in the open. He demanded honesty and openness from her, but wasn't willing to give it himself.

But, I get whats going on now. And my hunch, I still think is right. Josep
Naughty Mom Story Time
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gah!! This is so good

Full review to follow
Amy
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fab continuing story. Fab series! PASSION next and I couldn't wait because I knew the mystery wasn't solved yet.

Kate is discovering she enjoys the world Jaxon is showing her but she still can’t bring herself to succumb completely to it, especially with her past rearing its ugly head at nearly every turn. Having thought she’d put it completely behind her, she’s coming to realize that it doesn’t take much to bring it screaming back to the forefront…just a little investigative ingenuity. When the
Adriana
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review
**3.5 Stars

In this third installment, my list of suspects got shorter. But the question still remains in my mind, is he the real killer? Or was my main suspect this whole time the actual killer?

So in this book we become one hundred percent sure that the killer is out to get Kate. This causes Nick's (over)protective instincts to go all out. At this point, I don't trust him at all and at times makes me uncomfortable o
Lynelle Clark
I received the book from Harper Collins for an honest review.

This story just gets better and better. From the first book the author had the ability to draw you into the world of bondage, murder and mayhem. The characters remained true to their personalities as you learn more about them. The deeper you go the better you understand and it really feels as if you know the people on a personal level.
The sex is of course mind blowing, but the romance that it generates is pure with so many doubt
I can't even bring myself to care enough about this story to write a proper review for this instalment. I won't be reading part 4 because I've already tortured myself more than enough for one lifetime thank you.

My complaints for this series were pretty much covered in my reviews of the first two instalments:

Part 1: Mercy
Part 2: Greed
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
OMG, this series......Like seriously.....I love it. SO much suspense,....Jaxon is so damn hot!!! Just in love with this series. I still think I may know who the killer could be, but I can't wait to see how it all ends. Just everything I love in a book. The suspense and danger, the amazingly hot steamy scenes, hot bossy alpha men. It just keeps me hooked and wanting for more.
Dee
Another thrilling instalment. With some electricity play to boot! This author sure knows how to steam up the pages AND keep you in suspense!

I can't wait until all is revealed in the fourth and final instalment.
Nicole
Yeah, I never would have picked him for the killer!
Eliana
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just when I thought this book can't get any better, Revenge kicks it up another notch. Shelly Bell kills it.
Alysia Tew
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You cannot read each book in the White Collard series individually. The ending of one book bleeds right into the next book. I am not rating each book individually but the entire story. What happens to Nick is heart wrenching. I like the chemistry with Kate and Jaxon.
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It gets better and better.
The Romance Evangelist
A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for an honest review at The Romance Evangelist

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for an honest review.

If you read my reviews with any regularity or follow me on Twitter, you’ve already heard how I’ve soured on most serial romance novels, especially when some seem to go on forever, with a total cost well beyond the price of a comparable full-length novel. But as with so many other romance trends I claim to dislike, there
Jenn Green
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

*****5- Oh my damn -Stars*****
~this review may contain spoilers from books one & two~

“I see how he looks at you. He's in love with you. It killed him to let you go home with me.”
“But he did. If he loved me, don't you think he'd fight a little harder?”
“Is that what I am to you? A red flag to wave under the bull's nose to get his attention?”
“No, I told you. I have real feelings for you.”
“But you don't trust me.”
“I'm here aren't I? I've let you spank me with my brush and fuck me at a sex club. What else do I have to do to prove to you that I trust you?”

The action,two~
“I-Stars*****
~this
Bookworm Betties

*****5- Oh my damn -Stars*****
~this review may contain spoilers from books one & two~

“But he did. If he loved me, don't you think he'd fight a little harder?”
“No, I told you. I have real feelings for you.”
“But you don't trust me.”

The action,two~
“I-Stars*****
~this
Bj
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
**Please note that this is the third part of a story that is divided into four parts, each comprising its own book. White Collared Part One: Mercy and White Collared Part Two: Greed need to be read before this book in order to fully appreciate the plot, and this review contains spoilers for these prior installments.**

Shelly Bell continues to enthrall her readers with White Collared Part Three: Revenge. Both the passion and mystery reach new heights! I can't wait to read the fourth an
Shayna
These serialized erotic romances are taking the Romance World by storm! Every time I log in to Facebook or other social media, I see more and more coming out! Ever since then, I have been devouring these like crazy! I LOVE them! If you want a sexy, suspenseful, quick read, a serial series is the way to go. The WHITE COLLARED Series by Shelly Bell had me gagged, bound, and held hostage from Part One and on. I was lucky to receive all four parts all at once, and let me tell you, THANK GOD! I’m not ...more
Court
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I reviewed this at MustReadBooksOrDie with my friend Shelley!

Shel: Part three continues to move this series at a rapid pace; some of the puzzle pieces are starting to fall into place and we are getting closer to the murderer! Court: I started making some predictions...and omigosh things were seriously steaming up my kindle!!!

Shel: Meanwhile Kate and Nick and Jaxon are continuing on in this somewhat strange situation. It's obvious that Nick has feelings for Kate, Kate has feelings for Jaxon, and Jaxon has feelin
Erica
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it

White Collared started with an intriguing start that only builds with each installment to the story. While I was intrigued from the start, I wasn't completely satisfied with what I found, wanting more from both the characters and the storyline.

Mercy really served as an intro to the lives of Kate, Jax, and Nick, and served to set up the situation that will soon unravel.

The secondary characters were the ones who really rang true for me with this e-serial. I loved Logan, Camille, and se
**Manjula ♥ Connor Cobalt**
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
5 'UNBEARABLE SUSPENSE' STARS

Review after reading all 4 parts

Oh man... This book was awesome. Suspense. Romance. BDSM. Alpha men. Kick ass heroine. You name it, you got it. PLEASE DON'T READ ANY SPOILERS ON ANYONE'S REVIEWS UNTIL YOU'VE READ THE BOOKS

It was really, really amazing. I've never read a book with this combination. Her style of writing was also awesome. This is the first time I've read Shelly Bell and it most certainly won't be the last.

The suspense was breathtaking till the very end. Unlike most romantic suspense novels (t/>Review
Anny hernandez
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was provide a copy of the book by the Author for an honest review.

WOW I just finish reading this book, and let me tell you I am loving this series, I love the characters, and love the way how this story is going, I am gone keep this short since I don't want to give anything away.

The story begging with the unknown killer, fantasying about things that he would love to do to Kate, while on the other end Kate just got home, but what she found when she open the door, was Hanna cover up
Michelle Kannan
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
MICHELLE'S REVIEW
So I loved this installment so much that I immediately started reading Part 4. But I promise I won't spoil anything.

Here is what we know to be true by now. The sex is hot. Jax and Kate will wear out your vibrator/husband cause this shit is hot. Basically this happens:

The twists and turns are really starting to pick up and at the end of this book there is a major one. Of course we know there is one final installment so i
All Romance
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
MICHELLE'S REVIEW

Moon Reviews
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review will be for the whole series (four books)!
I discovered Shelly Bell by beta reading for one of her books, and since i am addicted! But White Collared is now one of my favorite!!! Well written with a story that is deep, interesting and well put together, full of plots and twists, it will blow your mind! The characters are broken and strong, interesting but mysterious, sexy and hot without lacking brain cells! I loved most of them and hated a few! The writting style is so amazing that
Em The
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 suspenseful and gripping stars!

Once again another five stars from me. I have been gripped by this series and this instalment is once again revealing yet suspenseful enough to keep me totally fascinated as to how this I all going to end.

I am now again thrown into a frenzy as to who may or may not be involve in the murder of Alyssa and also the incidence of mistaken identity at the end of the last instalment!

In this part we find out who dunnit and yep I WAS SO
Pansy
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now for Part three - Kate has finally shared her secrets with Jaxon. Things are heating up between them, if not in the case. Suspects are being eliminated. An uneasy truce with a reporter reveals the Jaxon lied about his alibi. Kate does not have tolerance for liars.
A clue pans out and points to a totally unknown suspect. Kate goes to investigate and suddenly finds herself in the midst of this book’s cliffhanger. Grrrr. Where is that last book - Passion? Need to know what happens – now!
I
Shelly Bell
Oct 29, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
White Collared is a serialized, stand-alone erotic thriller that ultimately ends with a HEA. Each installment is 100 pages and will be released weekly throughout the month of June. Revenge is the third installment. You must read Mercy and Greed first.

"Shelly Bell is a fresh new voice in erotic romance. She brings the heat!" ~ Lexi Blake, NYT and USA Today Bestselling Author

"White Collared takes you on a thrill ride of danger, murder and lust, leaving you hungry for the ne
Shelly Bell
May 31, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

Tina Lee Harris
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars

As we jump right into where Part 2 left off, I thought I knew who did it, now I am not so sure. This story keeps taking twists and turns. Kate continues to surprise me with all she is willing to do to help prove Jaxon is innocent. She has proved that she is a team player. Kate along with helping Jaxon is helping herself heal from the past. She has finally opened herself up to the reality that she needs to be dominated by a man in her life. She needs to feel the pain along with

• Make Me Yours Evermore (Pierced Hearts, #3)
  • The Dom with the Kink Monsters (Badass Brats, #4)
  • Red & Wolfe, Part Four (Red & Wolfe, #4)
  • Pack Hunter (Were Chronicles, #8)
  • First Kiss (Emma's Arabian Nights, #1)
  • Enchanted & Desired (Enchanted, #2)
  • The Student (The Professor, #2)
  • Iron Cross (The Dartmouth Cobras #6)
  • The Diamond Ring (Unbreakable Trilogy, #3)
  • Socrates Inspires Cherry to Blossom
  • Lethal Game (Red Stone Security, #15)
  • The Muse (Dark Art Mystery, #1)
  • Betrayed (The Pirate, #2)
  • Seduced by the Game
  • A WILDer Wonderland - Sexy Stories Of The Season (The WILD Boys Of Special Forces #4)
  • Urban Love Prophecy
Shelly Bell is the author of the popular Benediction and Forbidden Lovers series.

Her book, Blue Blooded, received a Top Pick from Romantic Times Book Reviews and was nominated for an RT Award. At His Mercy, the first in her Forbidden Lovers series, was named a Top Pick from Romantic Times and received a starred review from Publisher’s Weekly.

When she’s not working her day job, taking care of her

White Collared (4 books)
  • Mercy (White Collared, #1)
  • Greed (White Collared, #2)
  • Passion (White Collared, #4)