Start by marking “Chasing Luck (Serendipity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chasing Luck (Serendipity, #1)

Chasing Luck

(Serendipity #1)

Sometimes surviving doesn’t feel lucky. Especially when you’re a sole survivor...

Published April 30th 2014 by Sweet Biscuit Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Luck

Start your review of Chasing Luck (Serendipity, #1)
FMABookReviews
3.5 Stars
Brinda Berry gives us romance and suspense with Chasing Luck. It is the first in the (Serendipity, #1) series. Told in the alternating POV’s of Ace and Malerie.

At age 7, Malerie's world is turned upside down when she becomes the only survivor of a bombing that takes place in her mother's office building. Losing her mother, she is sent to stay with her guardian Uncle JT. She suffers from nightmares and probably PTSD from the bombing and would rather stay home than venture outside. On her
Coco.V
Mar 11, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (3/11/2019)!

Blurb:

At the age of seven, Malerie walked away from a bombing that left hundreds dead—including her mother. When a crazed gunman kills her guardian on her eighteenth birthday, Malerie suspects there may be more to her survival than luck. A mysterious code holds the key to her future, and a reluctant white knight holds the key to her heart.

A loner wearing emotional armor…

Ace is a
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
*I rated this book 4.5 stars but when leaving a review at sites such as Goodreads, Amazon, etc…I round up to the next highest star!

Not too long ago I got CHASING LUCK over on Amazon. I thought I better get a jump on reading it since I would be hosting Berry in an author signing this coming weekend. And let me tell you, from the start I was intrigued and didn't want to put the book down. So I read and I read and I devoured. This storyline had me sucked in; contemplating whether or not the
Lara
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
I'm just wondering about why an author would write a story about a great mistery with real potential (the boxes!!) and then finally not want to solve it??!!!
The beginning was promising, there was a lot of suspense and I loved that I didn't know if this novel involved paranormal elements or if it didn't. BUT THAT'S A QUESTION I WANTED SOLVED at the ending. Unfortunately, the author had other things in mind. And didn't explain anything AT ALL about the one thing that was really interesting about
Holly (epiloguebookblog)
Author Brinda Berry recently gifted me a copy of this book. It's the first in a series that, admittedly, I read out of order. Each can be read as a standalone, although the books contain connected characters. If you do plan on tackling the series in order, here's how they should be read:
1. Chasing Luck (this one)
2. Tempting Fate (my personal favorite)
3. Seducing Fortune (to be released March 15, 2015)

Chasing luck features main characters Ace and Malerie, with the novel being narrated in first
Heather
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

If there's anyone who should be allowed to suffer from Survivors Guilt it's Malerie. Her mother died in a bombing. After that, her uncle was killed by a gunman. Malerie simply walked away, physically fine. As she gets older she starts to think there must be a reason. This is where Ace comes in...as her bodyguard. I immediately connected with Ace. You gotta love a 'hero character' with a past he must overcome.

There is a bit of
Audrey
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chasing Luck is told in two perspectives. This book is a romantic suspense and I can honestly say I'd give this book 4 stars. The beginning was great. There was tragedies and scenes that spread a smile on my face. But later on in the story, my interest in the book decreased a bit. Overall, I enjoyed this book. I think the pace was very steady. Not too fast or too slow. Humor and suspense is definitely present and the characters are not your average characters.
I look forward to reading the next
SecretNinjaGRL
Okay. So, I enjoyed this book, I truly did. But what I am somewhat confused on is: did the boxes actual have any meaning to the events in her life or was it all staged by the crazy guy Billy ORRRRRRRRRRRR was it all some weird ass coincidence?

I feel like I'm missing something. Like, I went back and reread a few pages just to make sure I was not but I still feel like I am. Ugh, I hate this feeling.

It's a good read. Better than I anticipated but good
TheresaDK
Great potential but disappointing execution.

Very little chemistry between the MCs but the dual pov made the H a lot more likable. Without it he would have seemed cold at times and his actions puzzling.

The great mystery was left unsolved, unless it was all just coincidence. Neither would make the ending better, so... hmm what was great?
The storyline was fairly good. There was plenty of action and the mystery surrounding the boxes kept me turning the pages. Too bad it never followed through.
Neilliza Swaffar
*A copy given by author, in return for an honest review.*

5 Sweetest Ace Stars

Malerie lived a sheltered life with her uncle JT, after losing her mother at a young aged in a very traumatic event that left her scared forever.

Then her 18th birthday came, where she celebrated it with her uncle JT in a restaurant. On that same day she meets the handsome Ace, who was invited by her uncle for a business meeting for a security job that JT was offering.

After Ace left the restaurant, he realized that
Kat DM
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5-Jelly Bean Queen Stars
*ARC given by author in exchange for a honest review*

Malerie is an orphan who has a wealthy guardian that she cares about so much. Seeing someone you love gunned down and bleeding to death is a horrible thing for anyone to ever witness. Well she did and to make matters worst, it was the day of her birthday. What a cruel hand to be dealt with.

photo ChasingLuck_zps1dffa92d.jpg

Ace works for a security company. He was supposed to be hired by JT who was Malerie's guardian. He has a bad temper and does not
Jen
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chasing Luck is the first book in the Serendipity series by Brinda Berry and tells the interesting tale of Malerie Toombs, an eighteen-year-old young woman who has led a very sheltered life after surviving the devastating loss of her mother during the bombing of the office building they were both in eleven years ago, and Ace Sloan, a twenty-year-old young man who is just starting his security business and has led a difficult life. This is a romantic suspense novel and it certainly has healthy ...more
Becky
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-na, arc, contemporary
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books on 10/31/14.

Chasing Luck was an entertaining read with a likable hero and heroine. Ace (short for Achilles--how awesome is that?) and Malerie have a rocky start--which leads to much snarky conversation between the two. So fun to read! I've got about a page and a half of favorite highlighted lines, and they're pretty much all antagonistic we're-going-to-snipe-at-each-other-until-we-start-kissing dialogue.

Awesome.

Chasing Luck also has an intriguing mystery and a
books are love
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is sweet and quirky. I am still trying to figure out the connection of the horrible incidents surrounding Malerie with the bombing, fire etc and the killing of JT and the collection in the basement. Not sure how they are connected and the connection of it all to the boxes but I did love the way it keeps you on your toes. Ace is a young man who had a hard life. In order to make it he became a security man. Now he is knee deep in helping Malerie and trying not to fall in love with her. ...more
Sorcha O'Dowd
What a brilliant story! This is one of my favourites for 2014! Stunning storytelling. Full review to follow <3 5 Stars!

edit.

I knew from the first page that this was going to be a book I would really enjoy. From the get-go, the writing style was fresh, mysterious and the narrative voice was strong. However as the story continued, I became more and more intrigued, excited and nervous of the fate of the characters I had come to care for so deeply.

‘Chasing Luck’ was a suspenseful and exciting
Laquesha
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was an amazing and really entertaining one and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I felt a really deep connection with the main character, Malerie, her character was really developed. Also, the writing style of the author was really beautiful and it flowed well. The plot of the story just jumped out and grabbed me.

I think that all of the characters in Chasing Luck were interesting, relatable and memorable but I have to say that I loved Malerie the most. She was my favourite and
Itsy Bitsy Book Bits
Brinda Berry’s book Chasing Luck is the 1st in the Serendipity Series and told from two POV’s. Malerie Toombs has not had an easy life. When she was just seven years old she was the only survivor in a bombing at her mother’s work. She still suffers nightmares of losing her mother, the bombing itself, and the fear of moving on in life. After the loss of her mother in the bombing her Uncle JT takes her in, raises her, and tries to help her overcome all that happened.

On her 18th birthday while out
S. J. Y. C.
4 STARS!

Brinda Berry's Chasing Luck is the first book to the Serendipity series. Each book can be read as a stand-alone.

Brinda's book was absolutely amazing and kept me interested and excited throughout the entire story. The plot enticed me like no other mystery story. I usually don't gravitate towards mystery books, but Chasing Luck is a mystery book that I loved and every reader should read this book!

What I loved most about the book was that the plot was original, new, and exciting. Brinda
Kimber Wheaton
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Chasing Luck is a new adult romantic suspense with an intriguing premise and a rather sweet romance. Both main characters have deep emotional scars but somehow manage to find the courage to trust the other. The plot has shades of the paranormal in the rather prophetic boxes Malerie receives from her uncle on her eighteenth birthday.

While it would be hard not to feel sympathy for a character like Malerie, I never really
Hannah
Sep 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Everything from the characters to the plot did not work for me. Malerie and Ace were one sided and underdeveloped. I never connected with them and just kept wondering why I am reading about them throughout the entire book. Malerie suffered a tragedy when she was little being in a building that was bombed and losing her mom. But we never really get to see how that fully affects her. It is brought up when necessary almost like a crutch to explain why she has certain issues then forgotten at other ...more
Paula  Phillips
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Malerie is a survivor, no matter what anyone says though she doesn't feel lucky and she has always wondered whether she should have survived that day when she was seven years old. The day she went to work with her mother and the building was bombed , killing everyone but her. The next chapter fast-forwards to her present day life and she is about to celebrate her birthday with her Uncle who gained guardianship of her when her mother passed away. At the table he presents her with a gift and also ...more
Tracey
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chasing Luck is a refreshing story to me because it's premise is different than what I have been accustomed to reading. Malerie tragically lost her mother in a bombing when she was seven. This event has had a terrible affect with her mental stability. Her Uncle JT had become her Guardian when her mother had died in the bombing.

On her eighteenth birthday her Uncle is gunned down in a restaurant and Ace who was there at the restaurant to do business with JT ends up becoming her bodyguard.

Malerie
Jana Fisher
While I get Malerie survived a terrible tragedy when she was young with the bombing that killed her mother, she was a whiny cry baby scared of her own shadow but yet did things without thinking that put her in danger. She annoyed the heck out of me. I really liked Ace but I was confused as to why he would refer to her as "baby girl" (although she was a baby) as a term of endearment before they even became involved, it made me throw up in my mouth a little. There wasn't enough character ...more
Kate Mary
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
My rating: 3.75 stars

When Malerie was only seven-years-old the office building her mom worked in was bombed. Malerie was the sole survivor, but losing her mom and being trapped in the rubble has left her with PTSD and some major trust issues. At eighteen, Malerie has only ever trusted her uncle. But when fate steps in, she finds herself thrust into the capable hands of Ace. While acting as Malerie's body guard, Ace finds himself struggling to overcome his own trust issues.

This was the first book
Rachel
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I begin? I almost want to leave a simple review that says, "Trust me. Read this. NOW!" I don't want to give anything away because the book was so thrilling not knowing anything.
description
Chasing Luck is a suspense thriller romance that had me on the edge of my seat and glancing over my shoulder ever 10 minutes. There were so many twists and turns. The characters had depth, which we got to see with the dual point of view.
description
Nope, I can't give any more away. If you're a guy and considering reading
Audrey Estes
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love romantic suspense and I happen to consider myself to be a very good book connoisseur. I am busy most of the time so multi-tasking is a must.... alot of my reading takes place on the treadmill or elliptical machine at the gym. There have been few books that have kept me on those death machines for longer than my allotted time. Chasing Luck was one of them. I appreciate books written from both the male and female point of view. I have to admit, getting a peek inside Ace's head was ...more
Kika
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could be so good... the story line was very intriguing and the main characters, Malerie and Ace, were very likable but I kept wanting for more. I found myself constantly thinking after finishing a scene or a chapter: "This scene is done already? really?" Even though the writing was good (no spelling or grammar errors), I guess it felt kinda shallow to me and eventually this fact distracted me from the story. I couldn't fully connect with the characters and this probably had to do with ...more
Sara
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am not a fan of the whole instalove concept. I suppose it probably does exist, but this instalove happened well almost instantaneously. I may be a little jaded, I am woman enough to admit it.

So here we have heroine in distress...and the distress is rather unbelievable in and of itself. Her guardian hires a 20 year old security specialist - yes you heard correctly, 20 - and then is promptly killed leaving said 20 year old hot security specialist to take up the role of hero. He does so
Michie Scott
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came so much than I expected.Great story,plot was different,though it's my first time to read suspense - love story and I fall in love with the characters,plot and story.

For Malerie,her character is unique, she is afraid to try many things because of her past but she change when she met Ace. I like the way she confess her feelings to Ace especially when she tell Ace that she wants him. I love that part so much.

I love Ace,he is one perfect gentleman,very loving and considerate too. He
Shannon
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to start out by saying that Chasing Luck is not at all the type of book that I usually read, so I knew going into it that I was going to be a bit of a hard sell. However, this author was able to get me hooked almost immediately!

Though I have not had the experiences that Malerie and Ace had during their lives, the writer created the characters in such a way that I felt like I truly understood them and all that they had been through in their lives. The storyline was very good, and I
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• So Much More (Chrome #1)
  • Fixing Fate (Pleasant Valley, #1)
  • Vegas Love (Love,  #1)
  • Tanner (American Extreme Bull Riders Tour, #1)
  • Bennett (The Fire Creek Saga, 1)
  • Scandalous (Alpha Bodyguard, #1)
  • Within These Walls (Walls, #1)
  • Velvet Kisses (3:AM Kisses, #5)
  • Worth the Risk (Alpha One, #1)
  • Coming in from the Cold (Gravity, #1)
  • Love Surfaced (Love Surfaced, #1)
  • Spinning Out (The Blackhawk Boys, #1)
  • Wild Irish (Wild Irish, #1)
  • The Last One (The One, #1)
  • Inhibitions ( UnInhibited #1)
  • Secret Baby (House of Morgan, #2)
  • When You're Ready (Ready, #1)
  • Her Counterfeit Husband
Brinda Berry lives in the southern US with her family. Brinda is obsessed with cairn terriers, Kings of Leon, illustrated cookbooks, new technology and sandy beaches. She dreams of finding the perfect pillow--no small feat. She's also terribly fond of chocolate, coffee, and books that take her away from reality.

Join Brinda Berry's Readers Group: https://brindaberry.com/mailing-list/

More ways to

Serendipity (3 books)
  • Tempting Fate (Serendipity, #2)
  • Seducing Fortune (Serendipity, #3)