Start by marking “Cub Creek (Virginia Country Roads #1)” as Want to Read:
Cub Creek (Virginia Country Roads #1)

Cub Creek

(Virginia Country Roads #1)

In the heart of Virginia, where the forests shelter secrets and the creeks run strong and deep ~

Libbie Havens doesn’t need anyone. She’s fine on her own. When she chances upon the secluded house on Cub Creek she purchases it. She’ll show her cousin Liz, and other doubters, that she can rise above her past and live happily and successfully on her own terms.

Libbie has
Published April 22nd 2014 by Kersey Creek Books

To ask other readers questions about Cub Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cub Creek

Start your review of Cub Creek (Virginia Country Roads #1)
Alicia
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful and enjoyable novel

Grace Greene uses a slightly different writing style with this novel that works extremely well. The reader begins the novel and has hit the end without realizing it.

Such wonderful and realistic characters bring this novel to life. The sheriff, who has some helpful and not so helpful qualities, as far as Libbie is concerned. The lawn and garden owner, Jim, who always is there when Libbie needs help with her garden projects, but also with life. The cousin who has an
Carol
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Libbie, the main character, at first makes you wonder if she is totally compus mentis. Then, as the book progresses, you find yourself totally at ease with the wiring in her brain that differs from most people. Libbie sees herself as odd, and not especially likeable, but given her childhood, you like her all the more for her quirks.
Libbie is a reclusive, independently wealthy women who can live and go anywhere, but she chooses, on a whim, a fairly isolated estate in Virginia.
Patricia Tucker
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to be at Cub Creek, to help Libbie with the old house and be her friend. Grace writes such descriptive stories!

Libbie Havens had a difficult childhood and is trying to overcome the past, and move on with her life. When she happens upon the house, on Cub Creek, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to her. She buys the house, goes about renovating it and starts meeting people and making friends. Then, something happens that threatens to bring everything crashing down around
Janice Hurst
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyed

Good read. Interesting characters. Mystery and a little love story. To me the characters make a book. And this book has quite a few. Lobbied is a strange young woman with a strange past. She is a loner and likes it that way. You will route for her to come out of her shell. She has only one relative, and she has two kids. Gruesome a significant part of the story. Read and enjoy.
Mary E
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Better story than i expected

I really liked the way the author handled the mental illlnesses that were present in the story. The treatment the main character received from her family was not the best but it happens. There is a sequel to this book but this book stands alone.
Deborah Blanchard
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters and the storyline flowed well. This was a story of forgiveness and healing. It was a story of accepting ourselves for who we are and not trying to be what others want us to be. I will be reading many more books by this author. Wonderful!
Tommy
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not great literature, I just enjoyed it.
Liz
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good read

A good read

learning to forgive oneself is hard to do but the main character finally did through the help of a new friend and an incidental couple.
Kathy
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read by this author and both books were very good. I will be putting her other books on my list to read.
Debbie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story and the characters well enough to want to read the sequel. Libbie isn't what I call an especially likable character, but she portrays a person with emotional issues very well. I certainly felt sympathy for her and applauded her efforts to have better control of her life. I thought she'd be a lot healthier without her cousin and aunt around to make her feel worthless. I didn't like those two at all. Nobody can mess you up like your family, and that's very true for Libbie. The ...more
Marleen
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
The cover and the synopsis of Cub Creek had me intrigued. How could I resist the story of quirky young woman buying on a whim a house in the Virginia country side? I have to say that I was slightly disappointed by the whole story turned out. For one, Libbie's obscure childhood remained a mystery for the longest time. Secondly, Libbie continually vacillated between knowing her mind and then doubting herself. For sure, this came from the insecure few family members who wanted to control her. As ...more
Priscilla
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I do enjoyed Cub Creek. Libbie Haven blames herself of every tradgedy

This is a beautiful writing of Lonnie Haven's life experiences since she was 5 years old. Never feeling love after her parents died and ending up being raised by her father's mother who criticised and blamed her for anything and everything that happened. She bought a house in Cub Creek by impulse. The home and surrounding neighbors were kind but Libbie held everyone of suspect of them not being that meaningful as that is what
Lynn Bremer
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great novel

Once again, Grace Greene has written a novel with a struggling character that you feel empathy for and want to understand her life perspective. Libbie has been emotionally scared by an unloving grandmother who blamed her for her parents' death. Everyone she has cared about has let her down, leaving her to conclude that she is better off alone. A misadventure leads her to Cub Creek, a country home that brings her peace. She meets new people and just as it seems her world is
Pamela
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Good Story; Sloppy Editing

I like Grace Greene's writing & love her characters. That being said, there are places in this book where the voice switches from third-to-first-to-third person. Frustrating to read. In addition, there are places where the author makes assumptions about what the reader knows. A few words explaining what the reader should see as the scene moves from the terrace to the garage, for example, would help avoid confusion (why is the author suddenly describing a scene in
Geneva Stokes
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love Grace Greene's books! Cub Creek is entertaining, sad, romantic, healing all rolled into one.
Libbie has issues, keeping her dreadful past close. Libbie finds a gorgeous house in the country, restoring the house and updating the landscape is , to me, one of the best parts, keeps her mind off her past. Her sister is no help!, But, she loves her niece and nephew! Libbie is surrounded by love, but can't see it, as she has been really hurt. Good reading.
Barb
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel paints a disturbing picture in a beautiful setting. Libbie is running from a tragic past, but her impulsive purchase of a home in the middle of nowhere turns eerie quickly when she feels like she's being watched and has flashbacks to some of the horrors in her formative years. Her relocation isn't enough to keep tragedy from following where she goes. There's hints at some sort of mental illness on top of Libbie's abusive family background.
Connie S. Jones
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Cub Creek

I would love to visit Cub Creek it sounds wonderful. Libby grew up with her grandmother because she lost her parents at an early age. Shes always felt unwanted and unloved, and everyone shes ever cared about something has happened to them. She moves to Cub Creek to prove to herself and her family she can take care of herself. She learns a lot about herself after moving there. Good read. I'll have to read the second book in the series.
Linda White
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!

I love this author's writing, first of her books I have read, now will read all of the others. She has a great style, slowly taking you through the story with vivid descriptions, humor and enough intrigue to keep you hooked from the first page. Now into the next book!
Teresa Lisle
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read. Grace Greene is a descriptive writer. Her writing ushers you inside the story where you can smell the lady slippers, feel the texture of the tree bark, and love in the emotion of the moment. I have yet to be disappointed with any of her books. I am excited to read the next in the series.
Janet K King
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tolerance and Forgjvness

All people are individuals and react differently, depending on circumstances and life experiences. The way we are viewed by others has a huge impact on our self image. Healing is possible if one is provided with understanding and acceptance. I would recommend this book.
Alona
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

Another fantastic book to read by grace Greene! I can't say enough wonderful things about her writings! They grab you as if you're a part of the story! Highly recommend grace Greene books!!!
Barbara Johnson
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love stories about old houses! I grew up in the house my great grandparents had built in 1900. It was very unique!! I also seek out books that have the setting in the Smokies or Blue Ridge mountains. Throw in a love story, a touch of mystery and I'm HOOKED! Thank YOU Grace Greene
Kathy Downey
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
There is a lot of mental illness around us. Here we find how the people around her influenced her mental state. Until she found a peaceful place to live, but also to open herself to learning what truly caused her emotions to get out of hand. She truly was a forgiving and kind person as seen through the eyes of her now "aunt". Creative in her photography as well as the the innovations of this house that was in need of some love!
Judith M. Seale
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book

I enjoyed reading this book about Libbie's life. The twist and turns kept me so interested in this book. I could not put the book down. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Mary Sue Wilson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing

It was so refreshing to read a great story that doesn't use foul language or steamy sexual scenes. Cub Creek is about a women who finds healing in a secluded old house. The book contains mystery, friendship, family relationships and resolution.
Wheezy Hardin
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just well WOW

This was a well written tale about finding yourself when you aren't even looking. A story spun around questions of life, love, and the past it is overwhelmingly touching and soulful. Cover to cover a good read
Jeanne Abbott
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Page turner. A little mystery, a little romance

Enjoyed the descriptions of restoring the house and the journey of healing. I did want to shake Liz when she turns her back on Libby.
Teresa Bass
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Awesome book I really like this series, would like to see a list of all books dealing with cub creek
Carolyn McCorquodale
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cub Creek Review

Excellent book! Very different! Can't wait to read the sequel to see what happens next! Really like Grace Greene's style of writing!
Linda Florence
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love all of her books
« previous 1 3 next »

• Breaking the Story (Scottie's Adventures, #1)
  • Meg (Beach Brides #1)
  • Merry Mary
  • Boots and Bedlam (Sweeney Sisters #3)
  • The Road She Left Behind
  • Nina (Beach Brides #3)
  • Tangle of Strings (Sweeney Sisters #4)
  • Home for Wounded Hearts
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters #2)
  • Summer of Dragonfly Changes (Loon Lake Series, #2)
  • Tara (Beach Brides #2)
  • Summer of Firefly Memories (Loon Lake, #1)
  • Saturdays at Sweeney's (Sweeney Sisters #5)
  • The Family Journal
  • Magnolia Nights
  • Beyond the Garden (Magnolia Series #2)
  • Spring House
  • Winter Cottage
Grace Greene writes fiction with romance, suspense and inspiration ~ The Emerald Isle, NC Stories Series includes Beach Rental, Beach Winds, Beach Wedding, along with the Christmas novellas, Beach Christmas and Beach Walk. Her Virginia books are Women's Fiction with romance, suspense and mystery. Most are set in rural Cub Creek and include her bestselling The Memory of Butterflies and The ...more

Virginia Country Roads (4 books)
  • Leaving Cub Creek (Virginia Country Roads #2)
  • Kincaid's Hope (Virginia Country Roads #3)
  • A Stranger in Wynnedower (Virginia Country Roads #4)