Start by marking “The Sculptor” as Want to Read:
The Sculptor

The Sculptor

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  12,305 Ratings  ·  1,955 Reviews
David Smith is giving his life for his art—literally. Thanks to a deal with Death, the young sculptor gets his childhood wish: to sculpt anything he can imagine with his bare hands. But now that he only has 200 days to live, deciding  what  to create is harder than he thought, and discovering the love of his life at the 11th hour isn't making it any easier!

This is a story
Published February 3rd 2015 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The Sculptor, please sign up.
Francis S. Poesy I would not recommend this to a first time graphic novel reader. There are any number of First Second graphic novels ranging from All Ages to Young…moreI would not recommend this to a first time graphic novel reader. There are any number of First Second graphic novels ranging from All Ages to Young Adult that would be a better pick. For All Ages, I'd recommend Ben Hatke's Zita the Space Girl or Mighty Jack series, and Faith Erin Hick's Nameless City books. For young adult, Vera Brosgol's Anya's Ghost, Faith Erin Hick's Friends With Boys, or Scott Westerfeld's Spill Zone. In most cases you can't miss with First Second books, but The Sculptor is the exception to this rule. As far as I can tell it only got published due to the author's (well deserved) standing in the comics community.(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Completely blown away by this graphic novel. The best graphic novel I've read all year and I've read some pretty great ones.
Wil Wheaton
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book ripped out my heart and showed it to me. Several times.
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga, own
wow wow wow this was a powerful graphic novel.
Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, since I loved Scott McCloud's Zot series, and think Understanding Comics is brilliant. But it was really disappointing.

My main complaints:

1) It fails the Bechdel test -- Meg never talks with any other women.

2) Meg is totally a manic (depressive) pixie dream girl -- David falls in love with her on sight. And then she becomes a madonna. She never gets to be a person.

3) In the real world, almost no straight women have a circle of friends consisting largely of their e
Nat
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
David Smith is giving his life for his art—literally. Thanks to a deal with his death grand uncle Harry, the young sculptor gets his childhood wish: to sculpt anything he can imagine with his bare hands.

description

I just want to mention that the art in this was stunningly beautiful. And not only that but Scott McCloud’s take on fate was very powerful.

Death gives our main character 200 days to live in exchange for the power to sculpt anything he can imagine.

description

But complications set in when David falls in l
Scotto Moore
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
this book is maddening - on the one hand, its handling of artistic frustration and the desire to excel as an artist is intelligent and well-considered, but on the other hand, this story is just another in a long line of "loser male protagonist is rescued by manic pixie dream girl" stories. literally - dream girl is initially presented as an actual angel sweeping down from heaven, & male protagonist professes to dream girl "i love you" after having had a grand total of one full conversation w ...more
Sam Quixote
David Smith is a New York sculptor who’s in a bad way: he’s broke, and his patron’s dropped him. He meets Death, in the form of his dead uncle Harry, and makes a deal: David’s life in exchange for the ability to sculpt anything with his bare hands in any material for 200 days. David is literally giving his life to his art. Then David falls for Meg, an actor, and tries to undo his pledge.

The Sculptor was one of the most pretentious, self-important, twee, annoying, and bloated comics I’ve ever had
Whitney Atkinson
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
WOW this took a dark twist I was not expecting! I'm just a huge fan of graphic novels that are LONG because it's so nice to see character growth and to have time to explore bigger plot arcs and intricacies that are lost on you in littler series, or shorter stand-alones. This stands alongside Blankets as one of my new favs, even though I didn't find myself going WOW at the end of this one. The art and dialogue and everything was just mediocre, but it's the characters and the story that really dro ...more
Lindsey Rey
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow...damn...just wow.
Sarah Churchill
Favourite. graphic novel. ever.

I'll come back and write more soon, but that should give you an idea for now ;)
First Second Books
Feb 11, 2015 marked it as first-second-publications
We're so proud to have published this graphic novel!

Scott McCloud is one of the most thoughtful people in the comics industry we know -- he literally wrote the book on comics, after all! And with THE SCULPTOR, he takes all that knowledge abotu how comics works and fuses it seamlessly into a wonderful, engaging, magical narrative.

You guys should definitely check this one out!
Nickolas the Kid
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Πολύ δυνατό!!! Όπως είπε και κάποιος φίλος εδώ μέσα, καλογραμμένο και με φοβερή ατμόσφαιρα...

Η υπόθεση και το τέλος ήταν πάνω-κάτω αναμενόμενα αλλά η όλη νουβέλα σου δημιουργούσε δυνατά συναισθήματα!!
Oriana
Booooooooo, what a bloated, saccharine, cloying, uninspiring book. Total, total letdown.

Scott McCloud is a comics heavyweight, and he's a big deal to Jugs & Capes -- his Understanding Comics was our very first book! So given his masterful status, we all had really high hopes for this one.

Nope.

One of the brilliant ladies in my brilliant book club worked for his publisher when this book was getting made, and she told us that this is much improved from when the book first started, which, goo
David Schaafsma
This is a Big Event in the Year in Comics, without question. And I am not sure of how I feel about all aspects of it, but wth, let me just share some first thoughts.. I should say I was present last Friday night at McCloud's Chicago Humanities Festival presentation at the Chicago Art Institute, where I got my copy, and I loved his talk, his honesty, and the glimpse he shared into the hard and obsessive work he put into the process of making this 488 page brick of a book, a serious effort by one ...more
Michael
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I need more stars.

Five are not nearly enough.
Book Roast
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was NOT expecting this to be real. Do you have any insecurities about your existence? Well, this will illustrate those and will make sure to make it painful al over again! Haha. Loved it. But THE FEELS !!!
Chris_P
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It may have a couple clichés too many and you may even call it cheesy, but I absolutely fell for it for a second time two years after the first read. In a nutshell, it gave the softer, lovey-dovey side of me the most delicate of touches. Whether that's an easy or a hard-as-hell task, it's yet to be decided.
Ashley
Holy shitballs. I haven't felt this emotionally wrung out by a graphic novel since I read Blankets, but I liked this one soooo much more. I'm not sure The Sculptor is going to be for everyone, but oh man, if it hits you, it's going to straight up MURDER YOU.

The main character is David, a frustrated sculptor. It's more complicated and lovely than this, but essentially he makes a deal with Death. He will trade his life for the ability to create the art he can see in his mind and the chance to be r
Panagiotis
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Το Sculptor πρέπει να εισχώρησε στα αναγνωστικά μου προσεχώς πανταχόθεν: εξαίρετες κριτικές, προτροπές από φίλους εδώ μέσα, αναφορές από άλλους καλλιτέχνες σε συνεντεύξεις.

Το βιβλίο είναι μεγάλο, κοντά στις 500 σελίδες. Κι όταν το νερό έχει μπει στο αυλάκι, κάπου στις πρώτες 90-100 σελίδες, απορούσα τι θα είχαν οι υπόλοιπες 400. Ένα χιπστέρικο παραλήρημα, μέσα από τις προσπάθειες του καλλιτέχνη να εκμεταλλευτεί το χάρισμα που του δώθηκε με το ύψιστο, Φαουστικό αντίτιμο. Τα καλλιτεχνικά οράματα τ
Kristie
Tohle mě naprosto ohromilo. Ty poslední stránky jsem četla prakticky se zatajením dechem. Jsem teď úplně zahlcená pocity, které teď jdu hezky vstřebat. Ale prostě to bylo perfektní a jasné první pětihvězdičkové hodnocení tohoto roku.
Calista
One of my favorite books read this year. This book is intense and personal and inventive and artistic and entertaining.

I love the art and I love the characters and being able to see into the brutal art world. David makes a deal with death. To make it and be recognized he will give his life for his art. He has 200 days to live. He is assured he will be famous. Not a deal with the devil, but a deal with death.

I love his sculptures. They are amazing. I love the end of this book. Scott ripped my emo
Elizabeth A
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphix
There are many reviews on the "brickness" of this graphic novel, and I for one would have loved the heft if the story was any good. I'm a fan of the author's non-fiction, but am not impressed with his foray into fiction.

This is a story about a "stubborn, self-absorbed, and aggravating young man" - and that's what his love interest calls him! I'd add immature, whiny, and narcissistic. Is this what the emerging adults of today look like? I sure as hell hope not! The premise is an interesting one:
Diane
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cool story this is! I remember The Sculptor got a lot of buzz when it came out, and I've been meaning to read it for a while. (The blurb quote on the front cover is: "The best graphic novel I've read in years." -- Neil Gaiman)

The story follows David, a young artist who is willing to trade his life to be a successful sculptor. He makes a deal with the devil and gets magic powers to manipulate materials and create impossible works of art. He enjoys his powers, but after falling in love, he
Charles
Stuff I Read - The Sculptor by Scott McCloud Review

I will say that this book does a lot of interesting things, and plays with some old ideas in ways that a lot of people will probably like. The art, certainly, is well done and I enjoyed the depictions of art, especially how his powers work and how he goes around creating art, how he uses materials in interesting ways. And I really liked the idea that a great part about art is the care and detail that goes into things that no one is going to see.
Michael
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Scott McCloud's The Sculptor is a weighty read. And I don't just mean the actual physical weight of the book (though it is a thick, heavy book). I'm talking about the story, it's implications and how it's stuck with me even though I finished the last page months ago.

David Smith is a struggling artist. He's visited by the ghost of his dead uncle and given a choice -- give up art and live a long life with marriage, children, etc. or live two hundred more days and be able to create as much art as h
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
I don't know what to feel. No one touch me.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Ouch. My body was not ready. When I pick up graphic novels, I expect something kinda fluffy. I mean, I first got into them with manga and my favorites are shoujo romances. The Sculptor has a couple kissing on the cover and it’s tagged a romance on GR. However, it’s also really sad, so be prepared for that. The fact that I’ve just been destroyed aside, it’s really fucking good.

The Sculptor is about th
Kaitlin
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I know a ton of people who adore this, so I was a little worried about what I would do if I ended up not liking this. Luckily, I did like it. It's not my favourite art style, I personally prefer full colour/black and white but the blue tone is the highlight colour for this and it works well enough.

This is the story of a struggling artist. He's not having any success and his life seems to be crumbling to pieces around him. He's lonely, sad and depressed, and doesn't know how to get out of his 'f
Γιώργος Μπέλκος
Εξαιρετικό graphic novel! Θα πάει άμεσα για δεύτερη ανάγνωση.Έχω διαβάσει και το "Κατανοώντας τα κόμικς" του ιδίου. Φαίνεται σε αρκετά σημεία οτι η έρευνά του επάνω στην ιστορία και την τεχνοτροπία των κόμικ δεν πήγε χαμένη. Αν και δεν απέφυγε τον αμερικάνικο τρόπο αισθητικής αντίληψης των εκφραστικών μέσων και σεναρίου, κατάφερε να δώσει μια πιο εσωτερική πνοή σε αυτή τη σχολή (της αμερικανιάς). Σε πολλά σημεία καταφέρνει την εσωτερική παραλληλία του αναγνώστη με τις προβληματικές του πρωταγωνι ...more
Eclectic Readers: Episode 11: The Sculptor 17 17 Jan 28, 2016 04:44AM
Eclectic Readers: The Sculptor 3 14 Jan 17, 2016 06:02PM
  • Here
  • When David Lost His Voice
  • Exquisite Corpse
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • The Shadow Hero
  • Displacement: A Travelogue
  • The Divine
  • The Property
  • Sam Zabel And The Magic Pen
  • Strong Female Protagonist. Book One (Strong Female Protagonist, #1-4)
  • Alex + Ada, Vol. 1
  • Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!
  • How To Be Happy
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
Scott McCloud (born Scott McLeod) is an American cartoonist and theorist on comics as a distinct literary and artistic medium.
More about Scott McCloud

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
“To be a "thing" that thinks and moves and wants...that's MIRACULOUS.” 1 likes
“> First, move out of that big Manhattan loft and head upstate. You'll find a little place you can afford and start a new life. Maybe get a job teaching at a community college. Maybe meet a girl at Best Buy, start dating. She'll put up with your crazy habits. You'll put up with her musical tastes.

> I don't understand. What's going on here?

> Time will pass. You'll make it official. You'll settle down, get a starter house. Two boys. Yellow Lab. Minivan.

> That. . . That isn't me.

> Why not? It could be. You'll make art in the basement for yourself for a while. The boys'll get married. Have kids of their own. Maybe y'get divorced. Meet someone new. And yeah, you'll wonder what could have been. But less, as the years go by. "Just wasn't meant to be," you'll say. And there'll be good times along the way. Sweet memories. Until it starts to wind down. Until your body fails. Until you don't recognize the world around you. Until it's time to go.

> That. . . isn't me. It can't be.

> Why not? It's a decent life. Food, sex, running water, a roof. Not to mention love and family. Those aren't small things.

> But it's not enough.

> You kids, you're so spoiled! Y'know billions would kill for a life like that. So what if the art thing didn't work out? Is it really that important?

> It's all I have.”