Start by marking “If You Build It ...” as Want to Read:
If You Build It ...

If You Build It ...

If You Build It... is a funny and moving memoir about Fathers, Fate and Field of Dreams. Dwier Brown played Kevin Costner's father for five minutes at the end of the movie Field of Dreams. Despite being an actor for 35 years and performing in hundreds of other films, plays and television shows, it was those five minutes that changed his life. Since the movie's release in ...more
Published April 2014 by Elsie Jean Books

To ask other readers questions about If You Build It ..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Build It ...

Start your review of If You Build It ...
Joyce
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are many things I don't understand about myself. One of them is the attraction I have for baseball films although I am not particularly fond of watching the game in person or on TV. "Field of Dreams" is a movie about baseball but really about family and trying to fix mistakes. It is on my list of films that I watch every year or so - always in Spring.
This past week I found myself in Iowa and persuaded my husband to take me to Dyersville where the movie set has remained with a baseball
Beverly
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
As a fan of memoirs, baseball, and baseball movies, I really enjoyed IF YOU BUILD IT. Throughout most of the book, Brown shares stories of his relationship with his father and his experiences working on the film FIELD OF DREAMS. He also includes several stories that fans of the film have told him over the years about how the film affected their lives. Some of them are very moving.
Ralph
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Nicely written memoir with some cool "inside baseball" parts about his "Field of Dreams" scenes. We bought this book at Calfee Park in Pulaski, Va., when Mr. Brown was visiting minor league ballparks during a book tour.
Russ
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A pleasant surprise by first time author Brown about his role in the filming of "Field of Dreams". If you have not read "Shoeless Joe" or seen the movie I will refrain from spoilers. The book is an autobiography interspersed with stories of people he met as a result of his role in the movie. It was a quick read, thoroughly enjoyable.
Jim
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
More than thirty years ago, I had the honor of meeting Dwier Brown through summer theatre at Ashland College (now University). At the time, in the back of my mind, I'd hoped to become a writer some day. But I never thought both of us would become published authors. I justifiably hoped Dwier would become a successful actor, and followed his career in various plays, films and TV shows from afar, spotting him in all-too-small bit parts and the occasional feature film. Of course, his "big break" ...more
Kevin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As probably happened with many others, being a fan of the movie, “Field of Dreams,” I was extremely curious to read Dwier Brown’s experience in this classic film. Having a few acting credits myself, I related to many aspects he discussed about his acting career. Also, since I teach a college course about sports films, I expected his writing would give me more to discuss in the course. Yet, the most meaningful aspects of this book come from Dwier’s discussions of his relationship with his father. ...more
Dave Price
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never, EVER read a book anymore....I read this in one day! Many stories of how people’s relationships with their fathers were changed after watching “Field of Dreams” and the scene with Mr. Brown. The book is wonderfully written as stories from the movie set are intertwined with both the aforementioned stories and those of Mr. Browns childhood and adolescence. I had the pleasure of meeting him in Pulaski, Va this last week. A genuine, down-to-earth man who you could see telling this story! It’ ...more
nimrodiel
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book when I picked it up. I found this to be a heartfelt memoir about growing up in rural Ohio, and the author's relationship with his father. Interspersed with his role as John Kinsella and the filming of Field of Dreams. He shared some of the recognition stories he has had over the years as the father from field of Dreams. All have shared how much the movie has meant to them when they saw it when they saw it the first time . I probably wouldn't have ...more
Brad Weinfurter
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of the movie and had an opportunity to meet Dwier at a Northwoods League baseball game in summer of 2018. Impressed by his like ability and how friendly he was to my kids prompted me to purchase this book. I only read a couple books a year but could not put this one down! Must read to anyone who likes the movie, you will cry again only laugh as well! Wonderful stories about the movie, life in general and of course dads. A real treat! Thanks Dwier!
Dan
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy starting my little book synopses with backgrounds of what brought a book into my hands and it’s often a casual affair. Not this time. To understand why I had this book less than 3 minutes after I learned of its existence, it would help to understand who its author, Dwier Brown is. If you don’t know, it might help to know that he’s an actor who has, among his credits, an unforgettable role, a five minute job, in a movie that isn’t named for his character. His character isn’t a lead. In ...more
Sharon Strouse
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Besides knowing Dwier as he escaped the Sharon Center renovation(s) of his father's dream house, at Ashland 'College' - I think the book reminds me of working alongside my parents as they shared their dreams and shaped mine... Sharon Helt Strouse
Jeffrey Collum
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome job of making you feel like you were behind the scenes during the filming of the classic movie, Field of Dreams. My favorite parts of the book were when Dwier retold some stories from fans he has met through the years. Many of them brought tears to my eyes.
Amber Blasl
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read! I loved the format of switching between his childhood, to his time on the set of Field of Dreams, to the people and stories he encountered along the way. I couldn't put it down and would love to read more from him.
Jennifer Darci
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is going on my all-time-faves list. Seriously. And I am NOT a Shoeless Joe book or Field of Dreams movie fan.
Ted
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspirational books that I have ever written. It makes me remember all of the wonderful amazing experiences that I had with my DAD.
Jessica Schwier
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! I read it aloud to my husband who has alzheimers. He thought it was good. Thanks Dwier!!
Maggie Arteaga
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now I love the movie even more!
Kait
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This made me cry. I met the author, Dwier Brown, at the Field Of Dreams movie site, he was the father in the movie. Easy read but worth the time! I especially enjoyed the fan accounts interspersed throughout the novel.
John Wispelwey
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you Read It...... you will be blessed by memories of your own childhood and memories of this author, actor, and fine man who weaves a story that will lift your heart, make you smile and moisten your eyes Thank you Dwier for opening up this window into your life and career.
Brian Andersen
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-ebook
I read and watch just about everything about former US President and Army General William Henry Harrison so when I discovered that someone named Dwier Brown portrayed WHH in an episode on the PBS documentary series We Shall Remain, it led to me finding more about him online. I struck up a conversation with Dwier and he was gracious enough to play along and sent me an autograph from him AND WHH. It was through this I learned he played Costner’s Dad in the pivotal final scene in Field of Dreams ...more
Bruce Bohner
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you've seen "Field of Dreams", cried (yeah, you are still 'a guy' ...it's OK), and wished to continue your therapy, I prescribe "If You Build It". Dwier Brown, who played the dad, John Kinsella to Kevin Costner's Ray Kinsella in the film writes a very readable, reassuring and yep, therapeutic book. It's a combination of 'making of the film memoir', 'man therapy' and personal memoir.
Dwier is my age, born within an hour of my home and grew up with a lot of the same circumstances with Pop that
Sharon
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the substance, introspection, and characters of this book. Having recently met Dwier Brown when he attended the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival last April, his personable persona gave special voice to his story. I gave autographed copies to my brother and husband for Christmas this year, and after hearing how much they both enjoyed the book, read it myself! I'm so happy that I did. Having experienced what the movie experience brought to our town, right down to our ...more
Craig Dyson
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I happened to come across this book on accident but I am really glad I did. Really enjoyed the book and the writing of Mr Brown. Felt he did a great job of weaving his own relationship with his dad with behind the scenes recounts of Field of Dreams, and how his part in this magical movie has impacted so many people. The only part I found not as interesting is the section when he recounts his early time in acting in Chicago. Other than that, I really enjoyed the book and would love to read ...more
Jeff Lenhart
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I met Mr. Dwier Brown at the 25th Anniversary Showing of "Field of Dreams." A few days later, I purchased this book from him.
I started reading this yesterday and JUST finished it, what a great book! The stories of Mr. Brown's own childhood, and the stories of people that have come up to him, even the stories of the filming of the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
I hope Mr. Brown another book soon, because I have no doubt it will be just as good as "If You Build It..."
What a great book by
Jeanne
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Goodreads Giveaway. Thank You!
If you liked the movie “Field of Dreams,” you will love the book “If You Build It.” Dwier Brown blends his own childhood, his five minutes in the movie “Field of Dreams” and how the movie impacted so many people into one interesting and inspiring read. This book will appeal to both the avid reader and those who are movie buffs. Be prepared to shed a few tears, look back at your own life, and simply feel better that you took the time to read “If You Build It.”
Carrie
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"You once wrote, there comes a time when all the cosmic tumblers have clicked into place and the universe opens it's self up for a few seconds to show you what's possible."
This quote is from the movie, Field of Dreams.....but it's soul, the depth of it's meaning, resonates--shines..in this book! What a gift!! Fantastic weaving..of the past/present/fact and fiction, and the revealing power of the universe....
Scott
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have watched the movie at least 50 times and it means more to me than any other song/show/movie I have ever experienced. This book ties a bow around the emotions I feel when watching the movie, and reading Dwier's personal feelings have allowed me to somewhat come to terms with my father's early death. Thank you for writing this book and the personalization you made to the book for my wife.
Paul Johnson
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dwier has succeeded in proving how his entire life story is inextricably interwoven with those he has personally met as well as those, like me, who share similar heartfelt feelings and memories.
Mary M.
I loved it. Can't wait to rewatch the movie!
Al
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. it was like reading three books in one, with great personal stories, movie stories, and stories about the some of the people the author met. I highly recommend.

• Shoeless Joe
  • Me
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II
  • The Characters of Christmas: The Unlikely People Caught Up in the Story of Jesus
  • Homegrown: How the Red Sox Built a Champion from the Ground Up
  • Llewellyn's Little Book of Life Between Lives
  • The Wichita Lineman: Searching in the Sun for the World's Greatest Unfinished Song
  • Alice (The Chronicles of Alice, #1)
  • The Inner Game of Work: Focus, Learning, Pleasure, and Mobility in the Workplace
  • To Shake the Sleeping Self: A Journey from Oregon to Patagonia, and a Quest for a Life with No Regret
  • Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History
  • The Library of Ever (The Library of Ever #1)
  • The 1932 New York Yankees: The Story of a Legendary Team, a Remarkable Season, and a Wild World Series
  • Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us