Start by marking “#First Impressions #Second Chances” as Want to Read:
#First Impressions #Second Chances

#First Impressions #Second Chances

Jonah Gilchrist lives a double life. On the internet, he’s a fashion-blogging Tumblr celebrity. In the real world, though, being an awkward gay virgin isn’t as cute and endearing as it is online—it’s a target on his back. After years of being bullied, Jonah’s determined to start afresh at college, but it’s hard to remake yourself when you’re sharing classes with your ill-f ...more
Published May 5th 2014 by Riptide Publishing (first published June 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about #First Impressions #Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about #First Impressions #Second Chances

Exina
#4 stars #incredibly cute #first love #new start #second chance #oh you silly boy #fashion obsessed #please understand me #so lonely #so scared #not too good with people #hilariously awkward #defense mechanism #yes I love tumblr too #can’t wait to see your Gucci pants #adorable #reality is sweeter than your dreams #smiling so much it hurts #feeling so damn lucky #read this #you’ll love it

Originally posted on my blog on October 21, 2015.
My favorite quotes on Tumblr.
Julio Genao
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: possessors of ironic pop-culture envy and/or les gayz
Shelves: shorts
I was half-way through inhaling this before I realized it was brilliant—and I was missing it.

So I started from the beginning, read it more carefully, and took some notes:

an
ANNOTATED SELECTION
of
AMUSING THINGS
in
THIS STORY

1. "...practice his best dead-eyed male model expression." (view spoiler)

2. "...doomed high-rent french prostitute dying of consumption in the 1800's." (view spoiler)

3. "...bloodm
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.5*

I loved this LHNB story. Yes, I did.
I wasn't sure I would, the way it starts I sympathize with Jonah but I don't really like him all that much, but that changes throughout the story.
I don't want to give too much away, because reading how this enfolds is all part of the fun, but Jonah is a young, vain, insecure, self-conscious, neurotic, social media addict with a very soft heart and very sweet core he tries to hide. He also could be a fashionista poster child. He also has some awesomely fun
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
#so #damn #fabulous #it #hurt

Because of course, things that are too fabulous hurt. Of course.

Jonah is a gay fashion blogger and a little on the neurotic side. Sebastian is a sweet, adorable little soul and a little on the tubby side (but fuck do his imperfections make him all the more perfect). The story itself had me smiling like a goof and spluttering with laughter, there were so many things that really were wonderful.

# love interest is not 2m tall with a rippling 20-pack stomach and guns tha
Bev

Another day, another excellent LHNB freebie. 4.5 stars and a huge

This is Jonah's story, and I have to be honest, I really didn't like him very much at first. He's at college and is a rich, self-centred, snarky introvert, who spends most of his time snapping pictures of himself in his oh-so-trendy and expensive clothes and posting them on Twitter to his followers, some of whom are quite nice to him...others not so much. Admittedly, Jonah has been through a lot in his life...bullying, suicide at
Deeze
This should of worked much better for me. I love the idea of the nerdy/shy type but Jonah just never engaged me. I guess I never really saw his shy insecure side as much as I saw his online confident side.

I did love that Sebastian, (love that name), while still being the popular guy, was not the fit hunky sports star.

Overall a sweet story, but not quite a full 3 star for me.
Lisa Henry
Ah...just so sweet!

Jonah is a wonderful ball of snarkiness, insecurity and cutting-edge fashion sense, and Sebastian is the boy he had a crush on in junior high. When they meet again in college, Jonah is sure it will be a disaster and immediately tells his Tumblr followers exactly that.

Jonah's online persona as a rich fashionista both defines him, and undermines him. Yeah, he's got a lot of supportive followers who hang on his every word, but it's the anons and their hateful messages that real
Vivian
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big smile. Great laughs, albeit some at poor Jonah's expense since he's the one with the anxiety disorder. I'd feel worse about it if he wasn't so cute doing it and it didn't end well. And Sebastian has a few secrets he's been keeping from the oblivious Jonah.

Adorable.

Favorite quote:
Sebastian sighed. “I knew it. I knew that you were one of those balls of yarn. They look neat on the outside— maybe a little too tightly-wound— but then you pull on the end and a big eldritch horror knot comes out of
Dαɴιjα
description

I'm not one for hashtags, but for Jonah, the fashionable, vain, and never to be called fabulous blogger, I'm making an exception. He's just that #adorable!

His story begins the first day of class when posting his #ootd on Tumblr, and watching the compliments from his numerous followers roll in made him an hour late to the lecture. Sneaking in didn't work. All eyes were on him when he showed up, including those of the last person Jonah expected there: Sebastian aka Jonah's crush in junior high aka
Justin
Another fantastic story from the LHNB event.

Thank you for participating and sharing this fun story, Heidi Belleau!
Fangtasia
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snark to cover up anxiety? Snobbishness to distract from social awkwardness and lack of self-confidence? Living online because real life is too much? Pfft! Never seen it! Who has ever heard of that? /sarcasm

Sweet, sweet Jonah, with his Tumblr fans, and his clothes, and his money, and so little love. Lovely, adorable, down-to-earth Sebastian, with his ratty t-shirts, holey jeans, and disastrous hair, with his belly and earnest, true love for Jonah. Since the 9th grade. Young gay love. *sigh*

So mu
AnnaLund
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody in the Whole World
I think I fell in love with young Jonah. Completely vulnerable, and totally sweet and funny. I screamed with laughter seeing the Tumblr hashtags, and I adored the comebacks from the followers. Ach, there is always an Anon lurking, isn't there?

Sebastian was a surprise, and the whole story just made me smile so widely I don't think I'm going to lose this grin for hours to come.

Brilliant writing is brilliant. Need to find more words from this author.

*skips, sings, and whistles happily*

*******

LHNB i
Eli Easton
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Jonah was too cute with his fashionista sensibilities, his Tumblr blog, and his introverted insecurities. I enjoyed the romantic arc -- some nice UST and not too much too fast. But I particularly enjoyed the Tumblr blog, tags and comments (being on Tumblr myself, I can relate), and I also liked all the fashion name dropping (not being particularly fashionable myself it was a whole new world). Very fun and one of my fav LHNB stories so far. Thank you, Heidi!
Jill
I wrote the Dear Author prompt for this story, so maybe I have a bias, but eh, I'm reviewing it anyway!

This story is so cute and fun! Jonah is awkward in such an adorable way and Sebastian is awesomely sweet. These boys had me laughing and smiling in a big way. Thanks, Heidi, for a fantastic story!
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like a feel good read
Recommended to Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion by: Shelby
I've previously declared my affinity for this author. She did not disappoint with her LL offering.

The fashion references.
The witty repartee.
The awkwardness.
The snark.

All classic Belleauism. Well, maybe not the fashion references, but she does seem to have her pulse on THE NOW, as it were.

Jonah was just this side of getting a swift kick in the ass. He totally needs Sebastian to keep him from lapsing into complete douchedom.

I liked that it was first love and sweet with just a hint of kinky potent
Star
#adorable

#awkward

#and funny as f**k
Erika
I still love this story to pieces, and wish there was a longer version or a sequel. I still feel like the author managed to peel back my brain to look at all my neuroses and interests, which is hard to do with a short story. Stellar work!

Previously, on 062413:

4 stars.

A Tumblr driven love story about a gay fashion blogger with Comme Des Garçons, Lanvin and Henrik Vibskov? What's not to love?? It's like Heidi wrote it just for me...

The only thing I didn't like was (view spoiler)
Marte - Thunderella

Spoilerish review!

* 1,5 lots-of-feels-in-this-book-yeah-right star **
(see if you can find all my feels)

Ohhhhh Gaaaawd....
Reading this made me feel really really old. Yes, old! *growls*

I didn't like the characters at all. Jonah was all about updating his Tumblr page with "outfit for the day" and reading comments, intermixed with the story flow. *rolls eyes*

He gets asked on a date by his high school crush who happens to attend the same collage class as Jonah. *awww*

Jonah frets for days about wh
Nina
I don't know if it's because short stories rarely satisfy me completely, because Heidi Belleau does full-length novels or simply because this short story in particular wasn't all that mindblowing, but it honestly left me cold.

It's cute. Mildly amusing, too. But a little underdeveloped, and with a main character I never managed to warm up to, because the limited length of the story didn't allow consistent, logical character development.

I did enjoy it, and it made me smile, which is why the rating
Tailtiu
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, gr-2013
Good implementation of prompt and picture.
Pjm12
#totallyloved this #hashtaghero #snarkyvirgin #sweetseb
Debra
Completely adorable LHNB short.
Shelby
Lol! Well hello KURT! Oh wait, no that’s Glee, hehehe. And besides Jonah is ever so much more insanely adorable! This one hits all my “oh so adorable” buttons and just plain makes me smile from ear to ear.

Jonah is loves style and clothes…ok maybe obsessed would be a better word, obsessed with style and clothes. Having suffered a horrific childhood at the hands of bullies for being himself he’s found solace in the world of Tumbler and the like. Within the anonymity of online relationships he can
Serena Yates
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
If you've ever wondered what it's like to be a social outcast, not just because you're gay, but because (on top of that) you're fundamentally uncomfortable around people, then Jonah, the narrator of this book, can be your guide. And even though he does his best to sound funny and unaffected, if you read between the lines, you will see a cry for understanding and love from the very start. Jonah has a way to go, and he may not want to admit it, but he isn’t stupid. He is just very, very inept.

At f
Trix
That was really cute and sweet.

I really liked Jonah. In fact, I liked both of them. Jonah for his sad past and self imposed seclusion while still keeping some optimism and sense of humor. And Sebastian for being this down to earth, approachable, nice guy that met and exceeded Jonah's expectations.

The plot was a surprise. There were some predictable things but also sudden twists that made for a fun reading. (view spoiler)
Heather
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lhnb, m-m
Now that was nearly perfectly done fluff!!!
It had such a great emotional element.

I have to have a honest moment, I have the fashion sense of well. Probably. Every unfashionable person on the plant. With that, so heartbreakingly put out there. I had no idea what half of the fashion name drops were.

But, I did connect to that reserved introvert side. Jonah's need for acceptance and distance.
Social media is a introverts best friend. It's so easy to put yourself out there. Easy to close a browser
Jess Candela
I liked it, but struggled with a few things. Jonah's feelings for the junior high crush - then and now - made sense to me. Sebastian's feelings for Jonah made less sense, and I don't think it was just because we weren't in his head. I just never got why he'd have been interested in Jonah in junior high, why he'd have remembered him all those years, or why he'd be interested now.

Perhaps it was because Jonah was an unreliable narrator, but ideally the reader should be able to see and understand t
Anke
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 2.5 stars
This didn't really work for me, as I have to confess that I don't get all this tumblr business and I still live very well without Facebook. So, not only was there all this hashtag comments, no, on top of that it was a bit too much fashion labels and stuff. Yes, I know it was his fashion blog, nevertheless it had too much space in comparison to the development of the story. Well, yes, I'm getting old.
Madison Parker
Absolutely adorable. I loved the dichotomy of Jonah's online persona (confident, flirty, social) and his real life persona (insecure, withdrawn). The tumblr posts were hilarious, especially the #hash tags.

Such a fun and totally sweet read. Loved it!
Lucy
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Just adored Jonah, insecurities, fashionista, drama queen and all. I want to see him rock the pom pom toque. Sebastian is sweet and love that he knits.
  • Right Hand Red
  • Life Drawing
  • Straight Men Can't Cook
  • Smoky Glimpses
  • The Five Times Raptor Messed With The Bull
Heidi Belleau was born and raised in small town New Brunswick, graduated with a degree in history from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, and now lives outside of Edmonton, Alberta, with her tradesman husband and two kids. A proud bisexual woman, her writing reflects everything she loves: diverse casts of queer characters, a sense of history and place, equal parts witty and filthy dialog ...more
“One benefit to being late: eating on the run meant Jonah didn’t have to do any agonizing over cafeteria seating. He just grabbed a bagel toasted to go and bustled right past the social minefield of half-empty tables and bacon-and-egg small talk.” 2 likes