Start by marking “The High Middle Ages” as Want to Read:
The High Middle Ages

The High Middle Ages

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
12 Audio CD set in two volumes. 24 Lectures / 30 minutes per lecture.

1. Why the Middle Ages?
10. Francis of Assisi and the Franciscan Movement
11.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about The High Middle Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The High Middle Ages

May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, non-fiction
I'll be honest. My mother-in-law is obsessed with The Great Courses and she lent me these CDs many months ago. Maybe a year ago. And there is no conceivable way I could give them back without listening to them. The guilt! That being said, they are actually interesting. You should read the other reviews to get an idea of the good and bad. My overriding thought is that humans put themselves into such strange little boxes of convention. Many of the tortures of daily life they endured are completely ...more
Gary
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who among us don't love the High Middle Ages? I know I do.

The world is changing and what we thought we knew about the world has changed. When I grow up I want to be just like Daileader (the lecturer), nerdy, informed, open to new interpretations, and able to explain a complex topic to a general audience. I find good books or lectures about this time period hard to find. This one is worth the listen.

Don't be an 'antiquarian' (his word) when learning. Pieces fit together and there is a context th
Void lon iXaarii
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
A pretty interesting course. A lot of very interesting facts, very interesting perspectives! At times it felt too me like a bit too much focus on the ideas, literature and religious and too little on the more material conditions of people. Still, much better than other history courses which focus much more on the kings and personalities. Very interesting perspective and data, and my chance to gather more information on my little pet theory that the middle ages are called "the dark ages" and gene ...more
Marcus
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
In a series of 24 30 minutes long lectures, professor Daileader provides a very accessible introduction to the period of High Middle Ages. Each of the lectures focuses on a specific topic that in professor's opinion qualifies as significant for understanding the period. The lecture set itself is divided in three main sections dealing respectively with social, religious/cultural and political aspects.

My major point of criticism is based on the fact that the title of this set of lectures is simply
R. August
A little too brief, but as an introduction it was very good. It seemed to focus more on reasoning and mindset then actual events - "Then William the Conqueror conquered England, but let's talk about the sophistication of the English government at that time..." The one line I liked the most was that England later became a constitutional monarchy because the during this time the monarchy was so strong, while France later became such a strong monarchy it could only be reformed through revolution be ...more
Daniel
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This lecture series was not as good as his Early Middle Ages one. It spent way too much time on the groups of people(Nobles,Church,Peasent/Merchants) and Religious aspects of this period and not enough time on the political and broad overview portions. He also doesn't really bring the time period into scope with the its neighbors so it focuses way too much on Europe without bringing in the influences of its more powerful neighbors.

A good series none the less and if I had listened to it first I
George
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Fascinating content, but narrator was a little hard to take; too much heavy sighing and histrionics.
Matthew
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this and it was excellent. The speaker again stresses the importance of demographics and he makes a very convincing case. It was during the High Middle Ages (1000-1300) that the population boomed. It doubled during the period, which is a marked contrast to what happened to the two periods before. This population growth resulted in the revival of urban life in Europe and the 'commercial revolution' of the High Middle Ages.

He argues that population increased due to several factors th
Phillip
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For me this deserves 5 starts. It is remarkable because Daileader engages the history of society in a way that he does not in other of his audio courses. In other courses he tended to summarize great works of literature. I wasn't typically interested in the summaries because I have read the books myself. The broad discussion of the what and why of the Middle Ages was very satisfying.
Lee
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like history
Fascinating overall, although the portions about royal marriages and dynastic succession didn’t interest me as much as, say, why chivalric romances were written, or even how the royal bureaucracy in England was more advanced than on the continent. Fortunately Daileader moves briskly from one topic to the next, while still giving enough information to satisfy my interests.

He is also lucid and entertaining without being patronizing. For example, his explanation of scholasticism is easier to grasp
Heather
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-courses
The information is presented clearly and interestingly. The only thing that was somewhat distracting was that the speaker has a way of sighing/drawing a breath every few seconds. If you can get past that, you will learn a lot and enjoy learning it. I was amazed to find out all the languages that a medieval historian has to know: Latin, French, German and a few others I can't remember. That was something I had never thought about before. It made me appreciate those who research medieval history a ...more
Tom
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nicely done! A fine lecturer, well informed and with twists of dry humor. I have listened to his set of cd's on the Early Middle Ages, as well as this set on the High Middle Ages. Both are worth listening to, if you like history and medieval studies. This is one of the best of The Great Courses selections, in my book.
Bryan
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-europe
An excellent series.
A Hudak
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good overview of complex period
Lynx
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Just as the lecture series on the early middle ages, this is an excellent work.
Tom
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Clear, concise and neatly organized. A great summary for student and scholar alike.
Amy Gideon
I enjoyed this lecture series more than the Early Middle Ages by the same professor. This seemed more focused and I just found the material more interesting.
Brian
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This was a great series of college lectures. Daileader clearly explains many interweaving issues of medieval life, from conquests, economics, cultural influences, epidemics, religions, and more.
Christine
Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying listening to this Learning Company series of lectures.
Brian Wilkman
Oleksandr Zholud
Dec 27, 2015
Vasco
May 05, 2017
  • The Medieval World (Great Courses, #8280)
  • A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts (Great Courses, #8470)
  • Classical Mythology
  • The Vikings (Great Courses, #3910)
  • The Foundations of Western Civilization (Great Courses, #370)
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
  • The History of the United States (Great Courses, #8500)
  • The Fall and Rise of China (Great Courses, #8370)
  • A History of Russia: From Peter the Great to Gorbachev
  • History of the English Language
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
  • From Jesus to Constantine: A History of Early Christianity (Great Courses #6577)
  • The Story of Human Language
  • The Great Ideas of Philosophy (Great Courses, #4200)
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World
  • 1066: The Year That Changed Everything
  • How to Listen to and Understand Great Music (Great Courses, #700)