Start by marking “Five on a Secret Trail (Famous Five, #15)” as Want to Read:
Five on a Secret Trail (Famous Five, #15)

Five on a Secret Trail

(The Famous Five #15)

The Famous Five are camping near an old ruined cottage - but is the cottage really abandoned? Anne hears strange noises at night - but the others don't believe her! Then they see the ghostly lights ...
Published 1991 by Hodder Children's Book (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Five on a Secret Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five on a Secret Trail

Luffy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The quality of Enid Blyton's work dips sharply at about the time this book was published. Someone - someone with fearless endeavor - must have felt it his duty to tell her to man up. Hence her last creative bursts of imagination, with Five on Finniston Farm sealing a remarkable life.

I must get to Enid Blyton's biography by Barbara Stoney, these days. She is a fascinating figure. I owe a lot of my anglo-centric literary aptitude to her. As for the book itself, it's very much as if it has never vi
Paul E. Morph
The best part about reading this book was that I was reading my mum's old hardback copy from when she was a child. Sure, the dust cover was disintegrating and it had that old book smell (which I think I'm probably alone in the GR community for disliking; most of you seem to have orgasms over it) but it was still a blast to be reading a book at forty that my mum read at twelve.

Anyway, what about the story? Well, it was OK. Pretty much what I've come to expect from this series. It even had a sligh
Nadja
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörspiel, time-2018
Besonders der Anfang ist mal was Neues, Mädchenferien bis die Jungs eintrudeln. Ein mysteriöser Junge und mal ein bisschen ein anderes Setting macht diese Folge besonders. [23.09.2018]
Kirsti
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unusually for the five, this story begins with George alone having a minor adventure with Timmy. He gets a cut on his ear, and George, determined to get people to stop laughing at him, packs up and decides to camp out for a few days. Soon she is joined by Anne, who while camping at night, sees unusual lights floating near a wrecked cottage. The next night it rains and the girls are forced to seek shelter there, and are watched by persons unknown. It is only then that the boys show up unexpectedl ...more
Prashansa
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
Well the book was okay. The two twins, don't remember the name, were really exciting. When the Five discovered that bag which had the blue prints, I was feeling that now the adventure is over. But when they didn't find the blue prints, I thought that the adventure is still not over. At the beginning, the novel was really boring as Julian and Dick were not there. But they came and the novel too came to life. I would give this book 2 stars**.
Gabriel
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an entertaining book
Shabana Mukhtar
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Famous Five, #15
Non-review rant
Some of the famous five books I owned (now donated to the library); others were borrowed from the library. Kid fiction is fun to read.
Review
The plot
The plot is always that the five of the characters get into some trouble while seeking adventure. They solve mysteries, save others from trouble, eat a lot of delicious food.
Does it sound like HP? Yes, it is and above mentioned elements are common. Their adventures are not as severe and serious. And HP has a great worl
Mary Lou
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfairly rating this as an adult reader. I recently read a poll listing the UK's favorite authors and was shocked to see an unfamiliar name in the #1 slot - Enid Blyton. As an Anglophile and someone who's worked in a library for ten years, it seemed unfathomable that I would not have heard of the British people's favorite writer, above Dickens, Austen, Rowling, and others! So I looked Ms. Blyton up and learned that she wrote children's adventure/mystery stories in the mid 20th century. This was ...more
John
As with all Famous Five books, this is of the same trusted and successful formula.

I loved these books as a child and I am delighted that my girls loved them as children too.

The stories are adventures of a byegone age, yet still hold the attention of children, around the world...... they have stood the test of time well - and for a great reason.

The stories are plausible, fun, adventurous and contain an excellent mix of young characters... with a little bit of everyone in each of them - something
Hanif
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Petualangan KELIMA BELAS mereka yang seru dan mengasyikkan!

Lima Sekawan pergi berkemah di dekat reruntuhan rumah tua. Tapi benarkah rumah itu tak ada penghuninya? Soalnya di malam hari Anne mendengar bunyi-bunyian aneh. Waktu ia memberitahu yang lainnya, mereka tak percaya. Sampai mereka melihat sinar menyeramkan di tengah malam...
Neja
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-childhood
These books (Famous five) are hands down one of my favorite books from my childhood. All those adventures and mystery …and those sandwiches they always packed! aww, just the best! I would love to read one of these again. To bring back those memories..memories of first experiences with reading books.
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is one of the first books I ever remember reading alone, and will always have a soft spot in my heart. It remains one of my favourites out of the Famous Five series and was a wonderful book to read when I was young and still is just as enjoyable today.
Rishita
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing to read Famous Five again. Famous Five was the series that got me into reading!! I love it so much. This book was a great read it was so good to read a Famous Five book after all these years. This is my first summer read this year and it was fabulous.
Gina
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is probably one of my least favorites in this series. I didn't at all think the Five are on a secret trail at all. The other kids in this book were really annoying as well. I mean really? Twins?
I also didn't think this was one of there most interesting mysteries.
Jibin
Sep 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked this book because of the ghostly sounds and imagining it it was like lights in the stadium this book was about stolen blueprints which are very important and the blueprints were taken underground in a tunnel

jibin
Saaniya
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book I ever read. Every chapter felt like an achievement
Kevin
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these books when I was ten years old or so. They tell me that Enid Blyton was racist. I didn't get the feeling when I read the books.. Perhaps I was too young to see it.
Jessica J.
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
crecí leyendo sus libros y me sirvieron bien
Farseer
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Russell Taylor
In this episode, George and Anne have the opportunity to step out from behind Julian and Dick's shadow, as the 2 boys don't appear until about page 60. Unfortunately, but not unsurprisingly, this doesn't happen. The girls uncover the adventure but are on the verge of giving up. To make matters worse they find themselves wishing the boys would come as they wouldn't be frightened and would know what to do. Then, on cue, they arrive and take charge. Oh well.

Also in this story there is a rather ludi
Alishba Nadeem
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book and I read this when I was pretty young. One thing that has always stuck to me about this book was the description of the water from the fountain, crystal cool against the lips and a parched throat, lying on heather, which felt like it was softer than a down comforter, nights under the stars and the food, oh goodness it always had my mouth watering, even the simplest egg and lettuce sandwiches or cold chicken, and even as the adventure, it lit up my little world. The blue prints ...more
Dan Thompson
Perhaps the dullest Five book I've reread yet! I found the story completely lacking and there was hardly any excitement for a reader of any age never mind myself.

I am a huge Five fan - I still get excited about the prospect of rereading an adventure they stumble into, but this one never really got a few feet never mind in the air.

The Secret Trail didn't really come about until two thirds in and by that point you couldn't really care less what they found. AND at the end when you expect to disco
Dianeh
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little different than most. First, George is off having a camping trip by herself till Anne comes. Second, when the boys arrive, it is unusual that Julian, who is the oldest and pretty astute, doesn’t think about the boys they talk to being twins! Julian is usually pretty sharp. Lastly, none of the five get caught. One of the twins gets caught instead. So, all in all, I liked it for having some differences from other books. (The one flaw being that when the five saw each of the t ...more
Sharni
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite Famous 5 adventures, which kicks off when George leaves home in the middle of the night because she feels like everyone is laughing at her beloved Timmy (who had a misadventure that ended with him needed to wear a cardboard collar). Before long George and Timmy are joined by Anne and soon Dick and Julian. Throw in a pair of feuding twins with a passion for archeology, a group of crooks on the prowl for riches and a permanently angry at being interrupted Uncle Quentin - and yo ...more
Katie Grainger
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a good one! When Ann and George are camping without the boys they end up camping in a strange old cottage. Then they meet a boy a very strange boy, when Julian and Dick arrive the girls decide to stay to help solve the mystery. What follows in a fun journey on a secret trail, wheat will the five discover.

Another good story in the series, this all seemed full of new ideas rather than using bits from other stories.
Nicola
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old cottage, archaeological digs, a mystery in the making!

I absolutely adored Famous Five as a child. I trawled through secondhand stores and slowly acquired all of them. For some reason in my childhood, there were lots of British books and comics widely available and back then they were sold for the mighty sum of 10 cents. Seems funny now when some of the secondhand shops charge $7-10 per book! I still have all of them safely saved in storage for when Little Miss grows up.
Argiri Maglari
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, brace2018
B.R.A.CE. 2018 Ένα βιβλίο που αγόρασες από δεύτερο χέρι
I bought this book from Hay-on-Wye during the festival! Since my childhood I enjoyed reading the adventures of Famous Five and the other books of Enid Blyton. I had a quite good collection in Greek and now I try to build my English collection as well.
Not much really to say about the story. I enjoyed it as I did when I was a kid :)
Lizzi Heaney
I KNOW they’re a product of their time, but honestly the fact that every time Julian and Dick show up George and Anne get shafted is starting to wear me down. The beginning, where it’s just the two girls on their own, highlights the disparity for me. Still, secret passages and important blueprints, I flew through this one and enjoyed it.
Astuti Mae
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Semua novel Lima Sekawan menyisakan kenangan indah bagi saya yang waktu itu masih SD/SMP saat membacanya pertama kali. Imajinatif banget menggambarkan kehidupan anak2 di barat karna dulu masih jarang film hollywood yang bisa ditonton.
Aulia Koesmeidisari
My favorite childhood read.
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
  • The Famous Five And The Mystery Of The Emeralds (The Famous Five: Claude Voilier Sequels, #2)
  • Uma Aventura na Biblioteca
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
  • O Olhar do Dragão
  • The Mystery of Monster Mountain (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #20)
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

The Famous Five (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan (Famous Five, #5)
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)