Start by marking “The Godfather (The Godfather, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Godfather (The Godfather, #1)

The Godfather

(The Godfather #1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  355,026 ratings  ·  9,288 reviews
The Godfather—the epic tale of crime and betrayal that became a global phenomenon.

Almost fifty years ago, a classic was born. A searing portrayal of the Mafia underworld, The Godfather introduced readers to the first family of American crime fiction, the Corleones, and their powerful legacy of tradition, blood, and honor. The seduction of power, the pitfalls of greed, and
Paperback, US, 448 pages
Published March 1st 2002 by NAL (first published March 10th 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Godfather, please sign up.
Manohar Read it for the quotes.. Read it to know how composed a man needs to be when faced with unfavorable circumstances.. Read it to understand how defeat c…moreRead it for the quotes.. Read it to know how composed a man needs to be when faced with unfavorable circumstances.. Read it to understand how defeat can be faced among peers and personally.. Read it so that the movies make more sense when you watch them later.. Read it with a pen and paper handy to keep jotting down the wisdom that is imparted by the author through Vito Corleone's quotes.. (less)
Lawand In 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but t…moreIn 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but the Corleone family is featured heavily throughout, Michael Corleone in particular. Chronologically this story sits between Michael's exile to Sicily in 1950 to his return to the USA.

In 2004, Random House published a sequel to Puzo's The Godfather, The Godfather Returns, by Mark Winegardner. A further sequel by Winegardner, The Godfather's Revenge, was released in 2006. The sequel novels continue the story from Puzo's novel.(but it is for a different author)

In 2012, a prequel, based on an unproduced screenplay by Mario Puzo, titled The Family Corleone was written by Ed Falco. It tells the story of how Vito Corleone rises to Don and how Sonny Corleone and Tom Hagen enter the family business.

hope this answer helps :) (less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
54,303 books — 209,990 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
6,294 books — 14,529 voters

More lists with this book...

·  355,026 ratings  ·  9,288 reviews

Start your review of The Godfather (The Godfather, #1)
Brina
Mario Puzo wrote The Godfather, a book that was to become an instant classic, at a time when both his personal life and that of the United States were in transition. Puzo's first two novels had not sold well, and he was almost penniless. A young, up and coming author, Puzo sought to write his version of the great American novel that would also work well on the silver screen. Meanwhile, in a time of war, the nation was beginning to view the mafia rather than Cowboys as the great American hero. Ac ...more
Diane Wallace
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Best! a treasure of a story,plot and movie to keep forever...good storytelling and amazing writing (paperback!)
Luca Ambrosino
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
English (The Godfather) / Italiano

New York, 1945. The Italian-American boss Vito Corleone, during the celebrations for his daughter's wedding, agrees to meet some Italian emigrants that ask for his help. Thus begins Mario Puzo's masterpiece, whose movie adaptation made Marlon Brando's interpretation of Don Vito famous. With a simple and straightforward style, Puzo manages to masterfully describe a series of intricate and temporally shifted events, involving the reader and maintaining high levels

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Godfather (Mario Puzo's Mafia), Mario Puzo

The Godfather is a crime novel written by American author Mario Puzo. Originally published in 1969 by G. P. Putnam's Sons.

The novel details the story of a fictional Mafia family based in New York City (and Long Beach, New York), headed by Vito Corleone. The novel covers the years 1945 to 1955, and also provides the back story of Vito Corleone from early childhood to adulthood.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوازدهم ماه جولای سال 1992میلادی

عنوان: پدر خوانده؛ نویس
Matt
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-novels
“‘[T]ell me the truth, Tom, how many men do you figure the Don killed or had killed?’[Michael asked]

Tom Hagen turned away. ‘I'll tell you one thing you didn't learn from him: talking the way you're talking now. There are things that have to be done and you do them and you never talk about them. You don't try to justify them. They can't be justified. You just do them. Then you forget it.’

Michael Corleone frowned. He said quietly, ‘As the Consigliere, you agree that it's dangerous to the Don and o
Mizuki
“Tell my father I wish to be his son." -Michael Corleone

This is the line that won me over!

Edited@15/04/2019:

GR ate my review!!! I can't fucking believe it!!! *sobs*

*re-write review is in order.......hopefully.*

Here is a few reasons why I put The Godfather in such a high place:

(1) The characters are entirely seductive, likable and engaging despite most of them being Mafia. It has been a long time since I last saw seductive characters like this from We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

(2)
Kerstin
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm one of the people who watched the whole movie trilogy and then after that found out that The Godfather
exists as a novel. Naturally, I had to purchase it.
It is a matter of taste, I suppose, but next to the movies - so elegant and grandiose - it feels a bit like reading pulp fiction. Maybe it's that the book is lacking the presence of charismatic Hollywood giants Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, whose legendary performances rival those of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind. It's h
Kaion
Feb 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, modern, seen
Indeed, dear reader, I did not hate The Godfather. I h-aa-ted it.

How much did I hate it? Well I could start with a long dissemination of Mario Puzo's simplistic and repetitive prose. Puzo seems to think the reader needs a reminder of plot points that occured ten pages ago, and that unnecessarily drawing out an obvious reveal by splitting it up into three points of view counts as suspense.

Or I could give you a thorough cataloguing of how very poser-y The Godfather, with its bombastic ideas of mas
Baba
The godfather of mafia fiction... the seminal gangster read! The stories of the first family of American mafia fiction, the Corleones. A tale of honour, tradition, blood, sweat, brutality and bullets. Family. Power. Tradition. The Godfather. Should be on everyone's must-read list, period! Puzo's saga of the life and times of Don Corleone and his Family… simply the most popular Mafia tale ever written! Broken into chapters focusing on different 'family' members and told out of time, with the main ...more
Manny
"Come in."

"Ah, Don Corleone, I'm sorry to trouble you -"

"Sit down."

"Thank you, Don Corleone -"

"Where is your mother from?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Your mother, she is from Italia. Which town?"

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Fabian
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mario Puzo creates his awesome world & then plays with his own elements (those of detective noir and mob drama) like a world-class chess champion. Less than a fourth into the narrative, POW! the Don has been shot. And, hold on a sec, who is the protagonist here? I thought Michael. Or the Consigliari Hagen. Or Hollywood heart-throb Johnny Fontaine? The full display of individual destinies is what makes this better than its cinematic equivalent. Here we see flesh-and-blood people living at a Hadea ...more
MischaS_
You gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they shoulda stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they were just asking for big trouble when they let him get away with that.

You know that you are a Czech person when this is your favourite quote/sentence(s) from the whole book.

I expected many things from this book because let's face it this book is a phenomenon! But, I didn't know what I will get because I never saw the movies and never read anything about the book.
Paul Bryant
Mar 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novels, abandoned
Here’s a record breaking novel, but for the wrong reasons.

1. I gave it up so fast that I did not have time to list it as “currently reading”. First time that’s happened.
2. I did not even make page 30! I mean, I even gave Darconville’s Cat 50 pages!
3. But instead of just binning it, I need to warn people about this book, so that means I will have written Three Reviews in One Day! A record for me.

Well, I love the (first two) movies like everyone does. So what could go so wrong so fast?

Example the
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
So, this is where all the mafia obsessions come from (?!?!?)

Omg, look at me reading yet another classic! The boy I used to have a crush on loved this book (or the movie). Now, obviously my reason for reading this in 2021 was more spontaneous and had nothing to do with him, but the experience did bring back some embarrassing memories. That said, The Godfather was such a man’s book, and I liked it a lot—which was a pity because I’d have LOVED it if the portrayal of women wasn’t so whacked.

I suppos
Matthew
This book is good. This book is really REALLY good. This book is better than I expected. Amazing!

I have to go watch the movie RIGHT NOW!

From the mean streets of New York City . . . to the casinos of Las Vegas . . . to the villas of Sicily . . . the Corleones have got things under control . . . and those who cross them will pay the price.

This book has a lot of intrigue, action, suspense, double-crossing - general bad-ass-ery. I will make you an offer you can't refuse - READ THIS BOOK!
Hasham Rasool
It was a very good book. Alhamdulillah. I can't wait to get 'The Family Corleone' and 'The Sicilian' books.

My favourite characters are Vito Corleone/Godfather and Michael Corleone.

'The Godfather and The Godfather part 2' movies were awesome.

'The Godfather part 3' was pointless! The only part I actually enjoy watched 'The Godfather part 3' was 15 minutes before at the end of the film.
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, year-2018
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

I think this is just what I was in the mood for!
Madeline
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-list
New Brilliant Future Career Idea: mafia wife.

Think about it - all you have to do is cook, have some babies, and go to Mass once a day. Sure, I might have a hard time learning to never ask questions about anything, but I could always get a hobby to occupy my time with. At the very least, being a mafia wife would give me tons of free time to finish The List.

It's win-win, really.
myra
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book had me shook. Absolutely amazing. I’m sure most of you have heard of the Godfather because of the movies, they’re a piece of art but so is this book. I highly recommend it!
Shariful Sadaf
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing, fast paced read. I liked Puzo's insight into the structure of The Family and the role of the Godfather. It was fascinating to consider the contradictions in the character and the actions of Don Corleone and to read the Family's justification of their actions - often perceived as 'necessary' and 'just'.
I'm sure most of you have heard of the Godfather because of the movies, they're a piece of art but so is this book.
This book!
This is, undoubtedly one of my favourite reads of all time!
Israel
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The epic masterpiece of mafia fiction. Puzo is good and entertaining elsewhere, here is great and masterful. It is to mobster books what Godfather parts 1 & 2 are to mobster movies...a standard that can never be equalled. What really intrigues me about Puzo's presentation of the Corleone family, and something that does not translate as explicitly to the screen, is the incredible sense of moral and religious conviction that what they do is right and good. At times I found myself believing that th ...more
Saadia B. ||  CritiConscience
The Godfather had been on my list for a long time. Having watched the movie I was really looking forward to it.

The mafias living in America had their own rules and regulations, which set them apart from one another. They belonged to Italian families who immigrated to America and made it on their own by spreading various businesses and controlling certain areas around the country to sustain their empires.

Don Corleone being one of them was among the powerful, who was attacked by Sollozo and the T
Jr Bacdayan
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
"..for Justice, we must go to Don Corleone."

In a world where laws are broken, where the government is only a puppet, where murder is routine and safety a rare thing, Don Corleone holds all the strings. He is the avenging angel, the thief in the night, the protector of the poor, the warrior of the wops, the ultimate puppeteer. He is the loving father, the faithful husband. He is the Godfather.

Don Vito, Sonny, Fredo, Michael, Tom, Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, the entire family, they're like the
Karl Marberger
This book was very good. Complex and gripping characters with personable motivations light the pages up with the help of exquisite dialogue and delightfully descriptive narrative. A true classic and a great pleasure to read.
Erin
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: april-2019, movie
A Masterpiece!

I've read this book 3x and each time I love it more and more. The Godfather is what all crime novels should aspire to.

That's all I got!

I'm not qualified to write a review for this book.

Read it and then watch the movies(the first 2 not part 3).
Melindam
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno-2020, noir, classics
A very fitting book to read when all we can do about the corona virus is "going to the mattresses".

I was really fascinated with this book when I read it in my late teens.

Revisiting this was a really good experience, though the fascination wore out a bit with time, so I am removing 1 star.
Roxanne
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! This book started my long running obsession with Mafia.

The Godfather is one of the best pieces of literature ever written. Mario Puzo paints this elaborate picture of the Sicilian mafia through the eyes of Michael Corleone, a returning Marine Corps hero who at first wants nothing to do with the elaborate crime family that his father has built.

Don Vito Corleone, an Italian immigrant who goes from poverty in Little Italy to create one of the Five Families of New York
Chris
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’d never read The Godfather until this summer. But my lovely bride gave me an early hardcover edition for my birthday, and the whole experience was...Proustian. Almost every passage brought back a memory from my childhood, when the book and movies were omnipresent. I loved it. It’s a classic, and deservedly so.
theburqaavenger➹
“Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold.”

Having dominated both popular film culture and literature for the last 48 years, Mario Puzo's world renowned masterpiece The Godfather is the undisputed patriarch of an awe-inspiring legacy. It's translation onto screen was magnificent but there can be no shortage of superlatives to describe the book in which this idea was first born.

The Godfather by Mario Puzo is one of the best pieces of literature ever written. Mario Puzo paint
Lou
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read that demands re-read has been long time ago for now..

Should I read the book first or watch the movie? 13 80 Dec 04, 2020 06:08PM
Reading 1001: The Godfather - Mario Puzo 5 13 Oct 01, 2020 11:59AM
Reading 1001: The Godfather - Puzo , Buddy Read 19 14 Sep 13, 2020 02:47PM
Book vs film 1 11 Aug 04, 2020 08:59AM
Goodreads Librari...: New book cover needed 8 27 Jul 24, 2020 01:31PM

• 밀레니엄 1 상: 여자를 증오한 남자들 (Millennium 1: Phase Millennium: The men hate women)
  • The Godfather
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race #1)
  • The Godfather Returns
  • Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)
  • The Firm
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe #1)
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • Wiseguy
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • In Cold Blood
Puzo was born in a poor family of Neapolitan immigrants living in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York. Many of his books draw heavily on this heritage. After graduating from the City College of New York, he joined the United States Army Air Forces in World War II. Due to his poor eyesight, the military did not let him undertake combat duties but made him a public relations officer statione ...more

The Godfather (5 books)
  • The Sicilian
  • The Godfather Returns
  • The Godfather's Revenge
  • The Family Corleone

Articles featuring this book

“I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.” 1653 likes
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family.- Don Corleone” 1145 likes