Start by marking “Rood als Bloed (Lumikki Andersson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rood als Bloed (Lumikki Andersson, #1)

Rood als Bloed

(Lumikki Andersson #1)

Het eerste deel van 'de sneeuwwitje-trilogie'.

Ontmoet Lumikki Andersson, een zeventienjarige studente die toevallig een witwasoperatie op haar middelbare school ontdekt. Vanaf dat moment volgt de ene onverwachte gebeurtenis op de andere, totdat ze vier dagen later terechtkomt op een gigantisch feest in een mysterieus herenhuis. En dat alles tijdens de koudste winter in dec
Published April 2014 by Clavis (first published February 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rood als Bloed, please sign up.
Lauren Redmond no, there is really no love story. its all mystery and intrigue mostly, but the main character does reminisce once or twice over a past relationship s…moreno, there is really no love story. its all mystery and intrigue mostly, but the main character does reminisce once or twice over a past relationship she has once had, but that been said there is no real love story in the book.(less)

Start your review of Rood als Bloed (Lumikki Andersson, #1)
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Amazon Publishing and NetGalley.)

I found this book really boring. It didn’t suck me in, I didn’t really get the fairy-tale references, and the main character made some pretty suspect decisions. The other characters all seemed less than intelligent, and why anyone would think that finding a bag full of blood-covered money was a good thing I don’t know.
I really don’t want to read the sequel.
4 out of 10
Jolene
1.5 Stars

Lumikki is a loner. She has built walls around herself as a form of survival. She was ruthlessly bullying during elementary/middle school years and couldn't even find solace at home. To her, home was just as bad but for different reasons. She knew her parents loved her, but always felt they kept her at arms length. Now she is living alone while she attends a prestigious art school. Here she has finally been able to find a place where she is truly happy, the school's dark room. She is on
Matthew Schultz
If I was a teenager, or maybe even early 20's, I would probably give this book 4 stars, or possibly even 4 1/2. But as an adult and a writer, there were a great many details (in plot and writing style) that bugged me, and I feel 3 stars is being slightly generous. It is difficult to know whether these annoyances are because of the author herself, or because of the translation, which can sometimes screw things up. I am trying to be fair here.

As with all the books I receive through Amazon's Kindle
C.G. Drews
I completely enjoyed this! I wasn't sure what to expect (all the reviews were in Finnish) but I know that I love books with fairy tale twists and I adore mystery/thrillers. (Plus I haven't read enough!) The first chapter made me dubious, but then INTRODUCING Lumikki! And the book escalated to awesome.

It's written in a more "thriller/mystery" style. So there's more POVs than just Lumikki and it's in 3rd person. I'm not keen on multiple POVs. I just don't connect to characters you only see fo
Teodora
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bulgarian review: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

Now that's a really quick read! I'll probably spend more time writing its review than i spend reading it. It was fast-paced, quite entertaining and overall good. It wasn't something spectacular or amazing, but i still liked it. The fact that it is finnish was also really interesting - i found the descriptions of the places and the whole atmosphere really enjoyable. I didn't really connect to any of the characters
Sophia Sardothien
This book is so dull, I guess perhaps is the translation that made this book so lacking?

Thank you netgalley for proving me this book
Kelly
This YA novel in translation from Finnish has many of the hallmarks of the series it's been compared to, Stieg Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. That's not a bad thing, though. The writing here is tighter, though it follows some of the same overly-detailed contours which make me wonder if that's a particular writing style or done purposefully to be similar to Larsson's series.

Lumikki lives by herself in a small apartment while she's attending an arts school. When she stumbles upon mone
TS
Hmmm. I quite like this one!

When I initially picked up AS RED AS BLOOD, the first issue I ran into, believe it or not, was the fact that it was pitched as Six of Crows meets Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. And I know that pitches are usually so very off, and that they mean nothing, but the comparison to SoC a)made me miss that series so much, and b)gave me the impression that AS RED AS BLOOD was either very confident, or is going to be setting itself up for failure.

Apparently, ARaB is very confid
Eline
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh
Olivia
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mystery and those in search of stories set in other countries
Shelves: arc

Thanks Penguin Teen for the early copy of the US edition! This doesn't affect my review or opinions.

This is out 1/17 in the US and already is out internationally!

I didn't think I would like this book. At best I thought it would be a quick, average read. While it isn't a favorite, I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's my first mystery in some time and after this I'll have to look for more. I can't think of any books to compare it to, but it was a fun, intense, and mysterious story
TimeyWimeyBooks
I think this is more for the really "young adult" crowd in a literal sense. Some YA lit is well suited for everyone, no matter the age. But this one not so much. I was kind of bored with it, not that much happened. I also think the author tried to hard to make her mysterious and also tried to hard to make her seem bad-ass, better than everyone else.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Anyone who reads my blog knows that the colder the location of a book, the higher the likelihood that I will want to read it! That’s no different here because as soon as I saw Finland I was sold!
I don’t usually read YA, in fact I can probably count on one hand how many YA books I’ve read in recent years so that was the only thing making me wonder whether or not I’d enjoy this book as its a little different to my usual reads.
Lumikki is a fun character. She reminds me of Lisbeth Salander, a compa
Megalion
I'm not sure how it happened but I thought this book was something along the lines of dystopian fiction.

Not at all. It's a YA crime thriller set in Finland. Which is awesome for suomiphiles like myself. Really appreciate having hits from other countries being translated for English speaking readers.

So as a YA crime story. It was interesting. I suspect my three star rating was because I didn't successfully shake off the surprise mentioned above.

One thing that must be kept in mind, there will b
Pia
I love all Scandinavian authors and Nordic Noir is one of my favorite genres.

The first in the Lumikki Andersson trilogy, "As Red as Blood" introduces us to Lumikki (Snow White), a young girl who has been through a bad time at school at home. She now lives alone in the city of Tampere, where she studies.

We know something bad happened to her at home, but we'll have to wait until the end of the book to find out what it is.

When she finds thousand of euro banknotes hanging to dry in the school's phot
Tijana
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2,5 stars

There's a line on the cover of this book that says this novel is being sold in over 40 countries. The only way I could understand that fact would be by someone coming to me and saying Salla Simukka was giving publishing rights to everyone for free. I mean, no way publishers in 40 countries wanted to pay for THIS.
And don't get me wrong, this book isn't BAD, but it's just so average it hurts.
Unoriginal characters, unoriginal story, unoriginal plot twists.
I haven't been cringing my teeth
thePromoParrot
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka is the first book in the projected Lumikki Andersson trilogy, and is superbly rendered into English from its original language by Owen Witesman. This young adult mystery crime thriller has much going for it with a plot that is simple and engaging, but the author in trying to give an added touch to its intensity has in a way spoiled the flow and coherence of the story. Having said that, I’d like to insist that As Red as Blood is still one of the best novels I have ...more
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Actual rating : 3.5 stars

Received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book. It is my true opinion only.

This book started off to be quite promising.
I think for me the storyline just slipped a bit.
An interesting YA crime/thriller though.
And it was great to read a translated book.
I will still continue with the next book to see what happens, even though this one didn't end with much of a cliffhanger.
This is told in third person, so it
Georgia
Snow White, is an alone but not lonely girl that has learned to go under the radar, as a way of life. She now leaves alone in Tampere, while still going to school, when she discovers something really unusual in the school's darkroom...

The main character is very interesting, smart and strong. She becomes kind of a detective, as the situation becomes something of a personal vendetta (kind of). The YA story touches topics like drugs and bullying, without getting dull, though making a twist to the p
Cindy Pham
Mar 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main character is the epitome of the trite sentiment, "I'm not like all the other girls". She doesn't have any meaningful relationships, values, or goals, but she involves herself in another character's contrived plot where she somehow outsmarts and escapes from a mafia gang. The book plays out like a thriller, yet every plan in the story follows through smoothly and easily. I actually don't even care if anything goes wrong, because the characters are so flat and uninspired that I have no re ...more
murphy ✌ (daydreamofalife)
2 / 5

RTC later when I'm not at work
Christina
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Teens.

A mysterious bag of money.

And dangerous drug lords.

As Red as Blood is touted a thriller/mystery, but it wasn’t that thrilling or mysterious—and the story didn’t pick up until around or after the 50% mark, which isn’t good considering it’s such a small book. The beginning was dull and at times confusing. I didn’t like most of the characters—Elisa was all right—and the bad guys were portrayed as every mafia stereotype out there with no depth.

There were certain things within the plot that
Ravencrantz
2.5/5

Impulse reads are rarely good, I don't know why I keep doing this.

This book was promising, with a lot of talk about murder and corruption, I was excited to read this. Unfortunately, it seemed to drag a lot and was incredibly disjointed. One of the middle chapters started with "Once upon a time..." and it really threw me off. Why put that in the middle? Then it had a chapter from the point of view of a dead person as if they were still alive. It was really all over the place.

I don't really
Katie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was really bad, it fell short on so many levels. The “I’m not like other girls” comments, the awful attempts at humour and shitty “witty” comments. I couldn’t even make it half way before I dnf it.
Vanessa
“It wasn’t a request or a command, simply a statement. A fact. Never give people opinions, just give them simple directives. Don’t beg or demand, just tell them how things are.”

I’m a sucker for retellings and when I saw that this was also a crime/ thriller, I was more than curious to see how it all played out. As Red as Blood is told in third person and a through few different characters, but our main protagonist is Lumikki Andersson, a high school student who doesn’t like to get involved in oth
Lillian
I received an eARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this review.

As Red as Blood
by Salla Simukka was not at all what I expected. Personally I was expecting a loose retelling of Snow White. Instead what I got was a subpar crime novel about a supposedly ordinary girl who just happens to know a lot about stealth.

Lumikki Andersson is 17, away at boarding school, finishing up her senior year in what she hopes t
Michelle
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

2.5/5

As Red As Blood is the first book in the Snow white trilogy, or the Lumikki Andersson trilogy. I struggled with this book. It was originally written in Finnish and it takes placei n Finland, so maybe something was lost in translation, but I just could not get into this story. And that seems like a real shame to me, because I really, really liked the main girl Lumikki. I thought she was resilient, and smart. But
Elizabeth
Jun 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
As Red as Blood (Lumikki Andersson, #1) by Salla Simukka
Seventeen-year-old Lumikki Andersson is hardly your average teenager. She lives by herself in the city of Tampere, Finland, and has a firm rule to mind nobody's business but her own. But that rule is put to the test when she happens upon five hundred washed euro notes hanging up to dry in her school's darkroom, and it is shattered once Lumikki realises who owns them.

Caught in an increasingly tangled web of deception, corruption and danger, Lumikki finds herself navigating the Tampere's dark
Christina
I loved As Red As Blood. It was intriguing, exciting en mysterious. Although the ''mystery'' wasn't as mysterious as you would think, it still was a thrilling ride to find out how all the pieces fit in to each other. Because in this book, you have a lot of loose pieces, but not yet a puzzle.

The protagonist is Lumikki, a 17 year old student. A thought of her as some sort of Veronica Mars. She wants to solve puzzles and have justice in the end. But her curiosity brings her in trouble, when she fin
Jacki Myers
Had to stop reading after our protagonist climbed in a freezer to hide and then couldn't get out because people set 4 cases of wine on top. The style is a direct channelling of The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo and the dialogue is just as wooden. Full of the same kind of product placements too. I bailed with just 15% left, it had gotten that bad.

• Taikuri ja taskuvaras (Taikuri ja taskuvaras #1)
  • ‫سوداء كالأبنوس ‬
  • Varjonyrkkeilijä
  • Ihana tyttö
  • Muistojenlukija (Väki, #1)
  • حمراء كالدم
  • Auringon pimeä puoli
  • What We Didn't Say
  • Häräntappoase
  • Kaarnan kätkössä (Väkiveriset #1)
  • Sirpale
  • Dodo
  • Tuhatkuolevan kirous
  • Taltuta klassikko!
  • Kesän jälkeen kaikki on toisin
  • The Valley of Secrets
  • Kun kuningas kuolee
  • Matka (Kepler62, #3)
EN: Salla Simukka is Finnish writer and translator who lives in Tampere. She has studied Nordic philology, Finnish language, general literature, creative writing and women's studies at the University of Turku.

Besides books, Simukka writes book reviews for the newspapers Helsinkin Sanomat and Hämeen Sanomat.

FI: Salla Simukka on Tampereella asuva suomalainen kirjailija ja suomentaja. Hän on opiskell

Lumikki Andersson (3 books)
  • As White as Snow (Lumikki Andersson, #2)
  • Musta kuin eebenpuu (Lumikki Andersson, #3)

News & Interviews

“You aren't those words. You aren't the shouts and names. You aren't the awful things spat at you like flavorless gum. You aren't the punches or the bruises they cause. You aren't the blood running from your nose. You aren't under their control. You are not theirs.

Inside you is always the part of you that no one can touch. You are you. You are your own and inside you is the universe. You can be whatever you want. You can be anyone.

Don't be afraid. You don't have to be afraid anymore.”
31 likes
“Do not seek power for revenge. Seek power in order to avoid situations that would make you want revenge.” 19 likes