Start by marking “The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)

The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  97,057 Ratings  ·  8,658 Reviews
"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?" ad attracts dozens for mind-bending tests readers may try. Only two boys and two girls succeed for a secret mission, undercover and underground into hidden tunnels. At the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, the only rule is - there are no rules.
Published April 1st 2008 by Little, Brown (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Benedict Society, please sign up.

Sam No such thing as "too young"! Read it as a senior in high school, found it very imaginative and enjoyable.
Ari Sharks Totally how it is supposed to be. That is part writing style and part something you will learn in the later books if I remember correctly. (I read…moreTotally how it is supposed to be. That is part writing style and part something you will learn in the later books if I remember correctly. (I read these books a few years ago!)(less)

Rick Riordan
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I’m coming late to the party, since a lot of readers have already discovered this series, but I enjoyed it very much -- great cast of characters, lots of cool puzzles and mysteries. The book made me feel nostalgic, because it reminded me of some of the better children’s books I grew up with, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Phantom Tollbooth. Stewart’s storytelling has an old-fashioned elegance to it, and yes, I mean that in the best possible way! The second book in the ...more
Betsy
Nov 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do librarians decide what children's book they want to read next? Well, there are professional reviews, online reviews, and good old-fashioned word of mouth. And when it came to "The Mysterious Benedict Society", I picked up this 486-page tome, turned it about, and then needed a quickie confirmation from somebody as to whether or not I should shell out a significant portion of time to read this puppy. As it happened, a librarian I knew and trusted assured me that it wasn't all that good and ...more
Stephen
I appreciated this book at 500 pages, but would've been REALLY fond of it at only 250. Remove some plod-along-ploddy sections and tighten up a few narrative side tracks and I think you have yourself a big winner for both YA's and those YA at heart.

Ignoring the size for a moment (yes, yes, it matters and we will return to it)...this is charming, smart, well-written story that had me thinking Dickens for Kids based on its engaging yet restrained prose style. It has that cozy feel of well-mannered
Gregory Baird
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of A Series of Unfortunate Events
"The Mysterious Benedict Society" owes a large debt to Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. It is written in the same Dickens-meets-Roald-Dahl style (although it does emphasize Dahl's whimsy over Dickens' occasional bleakness). It features an oddball cast with a broad spectrum of eccentricities and unique physical features. The plot even centers around a group of kids from orphanages attempting to foil the dastardly plans of a villain who seeks to exploit them in his mad quest for domi ...more
Nancy
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a treat this book was to read! I thoroughly enjoyed it -- the kids were great, the villain and his heinous plot were quite terrifying, and the plot clipped right along. My one small reservation is that somehow I find I am in no rush to read the sequel -- yet this might have simply to do with the fact that the story did clearly end (unlike, say, THE HUNGER GAMES). But basically, I'd recommend MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY to anyone. I plan to give my copy to a bright 11-year old girl I know.
Ann
What a delightful story! It was very difficult to choose a shelf for this book - it's not truly fantasy, but its not just adventure or mystery either. Perhaps a little Sci-Fi more than fantasy? Well, anyway, it was a wonderful book about four children who agree to help save the world. It sounds a little over-done, I know, but it’s really quite sweet and charming. Well-written and with loveable characters and a kindness throughout the book I was enthralled from the first page.
The book isn’t incr
Sarah Grace
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 13+
4.5 stars!

JUST WOW! What on earth did I just read!?

This was a crazy fun wild ride from beginning to end! I wish I had known about these books growing up, and will now definitely hand them off to my younger siblings.

I'm rather sick of the trite, cliche, dumbed-down, and weak junior fiction novels that line the shelves these days. I have very few favorites in that genre because there is just so little good in it. But this is one that I've added to my list of favorites! Unique, deep, fascinating,
Alan
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-lit
This is by far the best YA novel that I have read since the Harry Potter books. Characters are great, thoughtful and like nothing I have read before. Even though this book is almost 500 pages long, I have been reading it aloud to my class and they are loving it! Every day I come into class they are asking if we get to read it for the day. I can't wait to get the second one.

Enjoy!
George Jankovic
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book!

I loved the puzzles and the mysteries. I loved the friendship. I loved the suspense. And I adored the three of the four main characters. I expected more from Costance until she stunned me.

Most of the time, I found myself worried that something bad would happen to these wonderful characters: Reynie, Sticky, Kate and Constance. And I felt so sad for the guys like Milligain.

I couldn't stop reading it. I kept reading as fast as ever to see what would happen next.

Five stars.
Ginger
DNF at 37%. This book wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either for someone older then 12. The book seemed too long for a kids book. I never got back to this book and I didn't really care to over the last few months. Maybe I'll pick it up again one day.
Marya
Feb 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-mystery
In the Mysterious Benedict Society, four children with four different problem solving skill sets come together to solve a mystery. Those four children consist of the reader, who has the amazing ability to memorize things; the engineer, who has the amazing ability to create anything to solve the task at hand from materials she carries with her; the baby, whose chief attribute is to be unpredictable and not listen to the rules much less follow them; and the professional puzzle solver, who looks at ...more
Eshusdaughter
Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance are four very gifted children with a mission. They call themselves The Mysterious Benedict Society and together they have to infiltrate the nefarious Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened - a psuedo-school run by the evil Mr. Curtain. It's up to these four disimilar and intrepid kids to save the world and of course they are completely up to the task.

I thnk this book will have broad appeal to under-12s. The length of the book threw me off - it was so long
Christy
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Trenton Lee Stewart seems unafraid to pick up a few children’s lit archetypes: four remarkable and lovable children (albeit one slightly less lovable than the others), missing parental figures, the kind male guardian, the boarding house/ evil school scenario, and themes of mind control and world domination. But within the archetypes, Stewart creates his own brand of magic. One becomes fond of Reynie Muldoon’s human perception, Sticky Washington’s nervous glasses cleaning habit, Constance Contrai ...more
Leona  Carstairs
Rating: 3 stars
Age Range: 9+

What I liked

The writing style

The characters (Constance and Kate were probably my favorites, although they were all very fin to read about)

What I disliked

Length (It was almost 500 pages, when the story could have been told in less. Plus it is junior fiction, and younger audiences will have trouble reading books that long)

Plot (The plot was ok, it wasn't spectacular. I didn't hate it and it did have some good parts but overall meh)

Co
Salymar
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What's wrong with this statement?" -The Mysterious Benedict Society

The Mysterious Benedict Society is probably the best Holiday-read ever! It's a combination of the Harry Potter adventures and The Series of Unfortunate Events! Specifically, I felt that the mystery which made this book an ultimate page-turner is very similar to the Harry Potter series and the characters are akin to The Series of Unfortunate Events, especially Mr Benedict, who reminds me of Lemony Snicket's Uncle Monty.

Mr. Benedi
JonathanT
In short, The Mysterious Benedict Society was fantastic. Delightful. Whimsical. It starts off with a series of tests- or puzzles, whichever you prefer. But there’s only a few children who will pass the tests, and those children will be chosen for a dangerous task which basically involves saving the world and all that cool stuff.

It starts off as the children are taken to the home of a man named Mr. Benedict, who essentially preps them for the task ahead (saving the world XD). Then, the children
Kathryn
I'VE FINISHED THE BOOK: My initial impressions (and review comments) were overwhelmingly enthusiastic. I admit that the second half of the book did not quite live up to my hopes/expectations but I'd still give the book four stars overall (five stars for the beginning--see comments below). I felt that the second half of the story (once the children officially embark on their mission and become The Mysterious Benedict Society) was not as captivating, mainly because I found a great deal of the char ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: puzzle lovers
Four brilliant orphans are recruited by a Mr. Benedict, who needs their help to discover who is behind a plot to rule the world. The best thing about this book are the logic puzzles the kids have to solve to get invited into the Benedict Society - readers can figure out solutions at the same time the characters do. I really found myself rooting for those plucky orphans, each with their own unique personalities and skills. Go orphans! Save the world!
Mike (the Paladin)
This isn't a bad read for the YA market. The premius is one that I liked but I wonder if kids can follow it (any more). Yes I know...I sound condescending, sorry. The book's protagonists are gifted kids who aren't really interested in TV and think for themselves...wow, if only. They love "truth" (that has become a somewhat flexable word of late).

All kidding aside a nice book. Books where the "outsider" kids are the heroes (like this one)are much more common now. I suppose some of that might be
Anikethv3
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Veiledhorizon
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is shrouded with mystery and secrets. This story revolves around incredibly clever children who join a secret society which the children later call: "the mysterious Benedict society". This story makes you think along with the characters and makes you want to find out what happens next. If these descriptions doesn't make you want to read this book. I don't know what will.

The characters

They are all a bunch of lovable characters. There's Reynie who's the main character. He is what you c
Emily
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, audio
There's something a bit Roald Dahl-ish about this book in that it has a fairly preposterous story (children infiltrating an institute run by an evil genious baddie, to thwart his plan to take over the world), and a rather light tone. Yet it's also not quite Dahl-ish in a couple ways; despite the evil genious plot the book is permeated with a sense of kindness and is full of deeply nice people (which is good). It's also long and rambling (less good). Dahl could have wrapped the story up neatly an ...more
Aɳɳα
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book! It is such an interesting idea which makes for a very interesting plot! The characters were lovable (I just loved Constance, despite her stubbornness) and realistic. I really would say that this book series is as good as Harry Potter! Read it!
Zoe
Mar 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 24%
Amy
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-petites
A fun adventure story with puzzles to be solved and friendships to be made!
Iryna (Book and Sword)
There are books that attract and entertain a reader of every age. This is not one of those books. While it was a quick, easy and delightful read I wasn't really into it. Now if I was, let's say 12 years old, I would be all over this book!

The message delivered in this book was fantastic, and I wish there were more books that exposed the truth behind living as "digital-age children".

That said, when I have kids I would love to read it again with them, so I can see it from a child's point of view.
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of misfits on a dangerous mission
Whether you are the type of adult who will enjoy this novel depends on the type of child you were. Gawky, studious, overly earnest outsiders will adore The Mysterious Benedict Society. If you were popular, athletic, or a rebellious Goth, this book is sooooo not for you.

While Trenton Lee Stewart’s first novel in what is so far a series of three has been compared to J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series, I find the bulk of the book more reminiscent of the late E.L. Konigsburg’s The View from Saturday
Mandie Peterson
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of logic puzzles and spy books
Recommended to Mandie by: Katy
Age: 10+
Plot: 4.5 stars
Characters: 5 stars
Writing: 4.5 stars
Overall: 5 stars
My review: This book was amazing. That is all there is to it. I'm still marveling how this 500 page book did not have me bored even once. The plot was exciting and well thought out. And the characters. Where can I even start with the characters? Shy yet smart Reynie, brilliant Sticky, circus performer Kate, and tiny, stubborn Constance. They all work together so well. (view spoiler)
Madi
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a fantastic book. Going into it I didn't really know what it was about or what to expect from it, so it was really fun to read! I picked it up because my friends said I needed to read it. So I did :)
I don't want to give too much away, but it's about a group kids who go and take a bunch of tests, but only four kids will complete all of the tests. And then they join the Mysterious Benedict Society.
The whole story is a little weird (but not anymore so than Series of Unfortunate Events),
Priscilla
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, whimsical read! The writing style reminded me of Roald Dahl, bringing me back to the good ol' MG days *sigh*

Initial thoughts:
1. Loved the writing style. Nostalgia <3
2. Really enjoyed the characters. Heavy in character development and growth. Each of the main characters were unique and fresh.
3. The middle of the plot was a bit slow, and convoluted. The urgency in The Mission didn't quite match the pacing in the middle.
4. Love the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter. AWESOME.

I
Hated the book. Your opinions? 67 291 Nov 29, 2017 02:57PM
UCAS English 10 H...: August Novel Assignment 3 16 Oct 16, 2017 12:06PM
Favorite character 6 18 Aug 30, 2017 07:00AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Mysterious Benedict Society 2 6 Aug 12, 2017 06:16PM
Mr. Benedict's Name 26 410 Jan 19, 2017 08:29PM
  • The Willoughbys
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1)
  • Chasing Vermeer (Chasing Vermeer, #1)
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • This Book Is Not Good for You (Secret, #3)
  • Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms: Magic, Mystery,  a Very Strange Adventure
  • Another Whole Nother Story (A Whole Nother Story)
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • The Gollywhopper Games
  • The London Eye Mystery
  • Inside the Shadow City (Kiki Strike,#1)
  • Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower, #1)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
Trenton Lee Stewart is the author of the award-winning, bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series for young readers; The Secret Keepers, also for young readers; and the adult novel Flood Summer. He lives in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Letters to the author may be sent to:

Trenton Lee Stewart
PO Box 251358
Little Rock, AR 72205
More about Trenton Lee Stewart...

The Mysterious Benedict Society (3 books)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
“You must remember, family is often born of blood, but it doesn't depend on blood. Nor is it exclusive of friendship. Family members can be your best friends, you know. And best friends, whether or not they are related to you, can be your family.” 1316 likes
“Rules and school are tools for fools! I don't give two mules for rules.” 241 likes