Start by marking “Love Is Never Past Tense...” as Want to Read:
Love Is Never Past Tense...

Love Is Never Past Tense...

(Love Is Never Past Tense #1)

*An Epic Russian Romance Saga Based on a True Story*

"A sensual love story set across contemporary Russian culture. It is inspiring as a reminder of passionate love beyond early youth." - Dorothy E. Siminovitch, Ph.D., MCC, Coach, Author, Conference speaker and learning consultant.

A whirlwind romance on a romantic Black Sea beach turns into a quick marriage for Serge and Ja
ebook, New Cover Edition, 214 pages
Published April 23rd 2013 (first published January 1st 2009)

Simon Okill
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Love Is Never Past Tense by Janna Yeshanova is a wonderful trip through the eventful life of the author. Her colourful descriptions of 1970s life in Odessa are so vivid I actually remember my own adventures during that period. She really got to grips with the way people talked back then and skilfully blended dialogue as only Russians speak. I was expecting first person here, but Janna used third instead and without losing any emotional impact. I take my hat off to her. Her love for Russia is evi ...more
Christoph Fischer
"Love is Never Past Tense" by Janna Yeshanova is a great love story at heart. Two people fall in love by the Black Sea during the times of the USSR and in the whirlwind of their attraction the two get married. But they are too young to appreciate what they have and divorce, only to experience the regret and continuous magnetic pull towards each other.
Circumstances and wider political developments push the two further on their individual past.

The book is beautifully written and told with a comple
Simon Okill
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Natalia Koyrakh
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Is Never Past Tense sets the power of love against the political and social forces of a crumbling Soviet Union. A couple in love struggles for survival as their once comfortable world changes in ways that could not be predicted. The characters were people I could meet on the street, not the stereotypes you often find in books. The realism and detail of the story was amazing.

-Natalia Koyrakh, Minneapolis MN.
Alexviolins
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great adventure in love, romance, and the unfolding of life. It's was great enjoyment to read this book and share it with others!
Lucy Pireel
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a heart
This book, which is based on a true story, doesn’t read as an autobiography at all. That basically sums it up I’m very happy to say so.
It tells the story of the author but not by the author and in no way telling. If that makes any sense. Let me explain this a little better. This book reads as if it is pure fiction. A love story about two lives coming together and overcoming difficulties.
It is peppered with facts only one who has been to the USSR can know, but not in a way that distracts from th
Tatiana Kishkovich
I loved the book! One of the best historical romance books I've read. Tatiana Kishkovich.
Susan
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great love story with history.
Jay
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A hot summer romance leads to a hasty marriage, a quick divorce, and years of struggling to survive the fall of the Soviet Union until the lovers find each other again from opposite sides of the ocean.

Love Is Never Past Tense is a true story written as a classic Russian Romance. It is part biography, part romantic adventure, and part behind-the-scenes look at how real people were impacted by the collapse of the Soviet Union. It is a real life second chance romance and a testimonial on how hope,
Dianne
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance that Survives Time & Distance!

Click on Banner to Enter!

Can the power of love stand up to time, politics and distance? Two young lovers face turmoil, separation and the fall of their homeland. This intriguing and often painful love story spans for decades of life-altering years, life-altering events, but proves that true love will endure as long as the human heart beats.

Love is Never Past Tense by Janna Yeshanova is told with such emotion and depth, that it becomes an inspirational
Lin
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Is Never Past Tense... was as much of a cultural experience for me as it was an enjoyable read. The novel did an excellent job of immersing me (an American reader) in Russian culture, through the eyes of a character experiencing extremely turbulent times for that region.

One thing I particularly enjoyed about this book was the relationship between the two love interests. This isn't some Disney fairytale - their relationship is messy, passionate, subtle, and always complicated. In short, it
M.J.
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was on the Dramatic Love Stories list on Listopia. Because of this, I expected a lot, and I got it. This book is a romantic hero’s journey. What starts as a story of young love on a romantic beach morphs into a struggle for survival as any hero’s journey must. The separated couple give two different looks at the closing days of the Soviet Union. He deals with his challenges timidly; she deals with hers boldly. Just as they couldn’t possibly be farther apart, modern communications conne ...more
Lina
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the book in one breath, which seldom happens with modern literature. The book has easy, sincere language. My sensation of truthfulness and acuteness of empathy with the author was absolute. Personally, I received huge pleasure from reading it.

I have lived, together with characters, all nuances of a great feeling, which we call Love. It is very pleasant to understand that, during our cynical time, works which inspire optimism and faith in love are created.

Lina Braikowsky
Lisa
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The story is intriguing and illustrative of a time in our history when things were very different. Janna tells a compelling story about her adventures and how she came to the US. At times I could just feel the energy in the air. I highly recommend this book!
Chris
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Book. What an unbelievable story of Romance. Their journey was amazing.

Terrific Story and a Must Read
Jay
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a love torn apart by fate, family and foolishness -- and then, miraculously, given a second chance.

The story is told in two parts, each with its own protagonist. In Part One, we see his story, where love is ignited, then crushed, and the downward spiral he suffers as he tries to deal with his internal demons. In Part Two, we see her story, where her persistence and focus combat external forces that reshape her life and her world.

In the end, modern technology and transporta
Lynette
Oct 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF.
Too boring. Shame as it was recommended in the same category as the unparalleled Bronze Horseman series. Err. No. I think not.
Vovazilber
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern romantic adventure in the style of a classic Russian novel. How can love survive when a crumbling Soviet Union has torn them apart? Great read!
Rossana Condoleo
"Love is Never Past Tense" is an intense love story full of tension. The fact that the characters are real is moving. An early divorce divided the couple who kept connecting throughout big history changes and continents. The courage of Janna leaving her country with a few dollars in the pockets is epic! I like the story, the characters, and have a great admiration for the writer and life-coach. No less than 5 *****.
Books On Fire Tours
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love is Never Past Tense might seem to some as a historical fiction, but it is SOOOO much more than that! Based on true events, you can't wait to see what happened next to Janna, only to be left wanting more.
The book unfolds as an old man reminiscences about his first love, whilst doing the UNTHINKABLE! You can't help but be shocked and appalled. Then, after years apart, the two former lovers reunite. A gripping tale follows, revealing human nature's true colors in times of depravity, mayhem an
Patrice
I won this eBook from an “Ask the Author” forum in October. It is an interesting story based on a true story. The majority of the story is told from the male perspective alternating between Sergei’s “present day” and his past. It gives insight into the world of the U.S.S.R in 1973 and 20 years hence when it is no longer united. It tells of a love that was ”love at first sight” for the woman, Janna. The young man, Sergei, is not sure if it is love or not but he knows he is infatuated with Janna, ...more
J. Walter
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is gripping from the first page. Janna brings to life a torrid love affair that unfolds during the Cold War Era, proving that love in the Soviet Union was anything but cold. There is no mushy romance here, but a genuine struggle to find love in spite of societal pressures and family expectations. Add to this a dangerous scheme to defect when malevolent forces threaten her life, and you have the makings of a genuine thriller.

I love the way Janna writes. From one paragraph to the next, y
Lisa Stockdale
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A compelling love story that reminds us that women are capable of overcoming great hardship and even heartbreak when that is what must be done. It was truly an enjoyable journey - so much so that I read it twice!
Sally
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is a russian writers love story. glad it was short
Lisa
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book - you get a history lesson on the break up of the Soviet Union in the midst of a tragic love affair. My opinion - Sergei was never good enough for Janna.
Barb Shuler
This is my first time reading (listening to) something written by Janna Yeshanova. This story is based on true life events and not normally a type of story I would read. It’s hard to “judge” a story when you know someone actually lived what you are seeing before you in the pages of a book.

But, I was intrigued. I love finding new authors and new tales to dive into. This was no different. It was a good read.

The story of love, loss, hardships and fighting for a change not only to better Janna’s l
Kelli
rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Fruzzle's Mystery Talent: A Bed Time Fantasy Story for Children ages 3-10
  • Beyond Oria Falls (Dwellers of Ahwahnee, #2)
  • My First Travel Book
  • Culloo
  • Down to You (Love on Edge, #1)
  • Nobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe
  • NGLND XPX
  • Cutting Right to the Chase
  • Apocalyptic Empire: The Hatchery Compound
  • Armada
  • Even Villains Fall In Love (Heroes and Villains, #1)
  • Split River
  • Get Clean (Hard Knock Life Book 1)
  • The Gang Bust (Mike McBride Series #5)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2015: Queers Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • All That Glitters (A Jake & Laura Mystery, #2)
  • Nanny and Me
  • A Dead Sister (Jessica Huntington, #2)
Janna...

Every one of her classmates was enchanted with her name, her beauty and her grace. We looked up to her. We lived on the same street in a sunny Soviet Republic - postwar children with wonderful, hard working parents. Her mother, decorated with medals from WWII, to us was legendary. Her mother and father were attorneys...protectors.

But suddenly, among sunlight, a dark cloud snuck into her li

Love Is Never Past Tense (3 books)
  • In The Land Of Scarabs