Start by marking “Murder Most Witchy (Wendy Lightower Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder Most Witchy (Wendy Lightower Mystery #1)

Murder Most Witchy

(Wendy Lightower Mystery #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  418 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The Lightower family has been hunting down paranormal phenomena in the small town of North Harbor for generations. Unlike the rest of her family, Wendy Lightower has never dreamed of chasing evil witches or unearthing magical secrets. Her greatest ambition in life is to be a full-time librarian and leave her witchy roots far behind her. But when a murder is committed in he ...more
Published April 21st 2014

To ask other readers questions about Murder Most Witchy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Most Witchy

Ln Winchester
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm sure someone will find this cute and fun. I just didn't.

The writing style of Murder Most Witchy is very stilted and awkward, which made it very hard for me to connect to the story. For instance , the heroine's first spell is described as: "she read the instructions and put ingredients in the cauldron." Um, okay; ingredients like WHAT? Mixed it how? Was there heat involved? What did it look or smell like? - The lack of description is a problem for me.

Next: If you like a world where a heroine
Sadie Forsythe
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
This was cute but a little on the slow side. While I never quite achieved boredom, it never grabbed me either. The murderer was obvious from the beginning, though thankfully not as obvious as the red herrings might have been. Unfortunately, even they were so obvious as to be too obvious and therefore easily dismissible.

The characters were fun but not deeply developed and a little on the cliché side. The outline of a love-triangle felt unsupported and annoying (especially since I couldn't figure
Kayla Eklund
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
There were times when this moved really slow. It had some grammatical errors, and could use better pacing. However, I did really enjoy the story line. I'm interested to read book two, and see where it takes Wendy, and the rest of the characters.
Leslie
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is slow moving. You get a full 1/4 into the book before the title character even reveals she is a witch and before that are dragged though tedious and unbelievable background info about characters. As for Wendy she is a cute petite blond young woman who dresses conservatively. And her colleague Magda is a tall stunning Supermodelesque young woman who dresses to the nines and makes every man fall at her feet. Did I mention that they are librarians? In a small NE Historical society? In t ...more
Trish
Finally. A paranormal cozy where the main characters actually have a legit reason for working with the police!
Chris
May 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Three for the writing, two for the execution. This story could have been a lot better with the help of both a copy and a content editor. Typos, missing words, and continuity errors really detract from the story. Otherwise this is your basic cozy mystery with witchcraft thrown in. Wendy Lightower is a librarian who has turned her back on her family history of witchcraft. But of course she must return to it when people keep turning up dead by magical means in her own library. Characters ...more
Noel
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of both cozy mysteries and paranormals, so this book was right up my alley.

I very much enjoyed reading about Ms. Rylands’ cast of characters, which include a female witch (Wendy) who loves working as a librarian over her family roots of investigating paranormal activities; a pushy uncle who owns a paranormal investigating business; and a gorgeous male witch.

Unfortunately, murders occur in Wendy’s precious library sanctuary, which drags her reluctantly into the family business. The go
Adrienne Testa
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Wendy Lightower is the town's local librarian and witch. She has never come to terms with her mother's death and blames her Uncle. She has denied her magical powers until death comes to her library. Three men killed, all connected to an exhibit being shown in the museum connected to the library. Magic is involved and the local police need help finding the killer. Wendy joins forces with her Uncle's associate, Ian. A hot sexy man with magic of his own. Ian is willing to teach Wendy the private in ...more
Dharia Scarab

Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
»jαу
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars!

This was a super cute, quick read. There were a few places where I found myself getting a little bored, but it was never enough to where I would put the book down. I found the mystery killer to be a little obvious, although, I still really enjoyed reading as Wendy went through everything to find out who the killer was. I thought the characters had great development. I really love the chemistry between Ian and Wendy and I secretly hopes something sparks between the two of them in the se
Brooke
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great first in a series.

I put off reading this one for a while, I was Leary of the self-published vibe I got from it. I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised by the story and writing style. It's a fun, supernatural cozy that is good for spending a rainy afternoon reading. The characters are just fun and mysterious enough to keep you guessing. And let's be honest what girl wouldn't want to be in a love triangle like that. Although I'm team Ian at this point. All in all enjoyable and I'm looki
Birgit
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved it.
Reluctant witch works in a library, but when a murder happens, her uncle, a witch himself, tricks her into taking up the investigations, together with his young, good looking partner.
Funny, witty, and at times serious as well, I enjoyed every word in this book. From the start to the (surprising?) finale, the only regret I have is that it came to an end.
Good thing it looks like this is a series, I just have to get the next one.
Melissa Bowersock
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although mystery is not my first choice of genre, I tried this book on a free promo and found it pleasantly engaging. The characters are well-defined and the story has enough twists and turns to keep it interesting. Because this is book one of a series, it did not have a completely satisfying end to it, instead leaving the relationship issues to be continued in the next book. For that reason, it felt a tiny bit unfinished to me, but was still enjoyable enough.
Leslie
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this while surfing through the Kindle Unlimited offerings for cozy mysteries. When I saw that the heroine was a librarian I was really interested to see how the author portrayed the profession. I'd say librarians were fairly well represented and the magic, historical, and witchy investigations business was interesting. This is lightly paranormal chick lit with a bit of romance added. Light & fun to read; I think I'll read the sequel.
Susan
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Delightful mystery. Wendy was the head librarian, but she was also a reluctant witch. Family attempts to pull her into the family paranormal detective business fell on deaf ears. That is, until there was a murder in the museum section of the library. Wendy finds herself drug into the investigation whether she wanted to or not. Easy read that leaves you set up for the next book in the series.
Alma-Marie Graf
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Murder Most Witchy (Wendy Lighttower Mystery)

Fast paced book,but very predictable. That doesn't make it less fun to read. Just it was not a lot of deduction involved. The first book was setting you up for the series. It was odd how Wendy interacted with the two men she was interested in, too much push and pull. Plot development needs some work.
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this short witchy book! The reason it gets 4 starts instead of 5 is because of poor editing. The e-book version is riddled with spelling errors and sentence mistakes. However, the story grabbed me through the imperfections so you know it's a good one ;) I will be reading the second book shortly!
Debra
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Actually I am surprised....

I really liked this one! It is w fun read right from the start. Light and easy to read. Sometimes the over the top romance can old. This has a light hint at it but keeps the story true to itself. Really a nice change of pace. Just bought the next one and look forward to it
Luna Raven
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
The main character feels boring and one dimensional. I was more interested in the peripheral characters, such as the uncle and Magda. I figured out who the killer was fairly quickly (it was rather obvious) and the story could have had more depth.
Michelle  Hoak
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Five stars

This is a fun witchy murder mystery book with some light romance. It's the introduction to a world you want to be a part of. Even if I found myself yelling that I knew who the killer was long before Wendy, it was still a joy to read.
Ann Bixler
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

I really enjoyed this book. It flowed well, there was no confusion with names or locations changing mid-sized and I didn't come across any editing issues, although I listened to it instead of reading each page. I look forward to the next book in August : )
Rob Edwards
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to the next edition in the series!

I'm not very good at reviews, but I really enjoyed this book!
Still think there's much more than meets the eye to Archer. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Murder Most Witchy

This was a nice clean mystery with exciting characters. I hope the next book has more action. I love the main character, a librarian. It was a refreshing new occupation of character for me.
Julie Donovan
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fully enjoyed

Great storyline, with characters that appeal to adults. Romance and paranormal thrillers. Enjoyed the characters and their development. Unlike so many youth oriented books, this is adult without filler sex scenes. I'm definitely reading the next book in this series.
Tere Fredericks
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Too Short By Far

I guess this is a "cozy" mystery. I must remember to find out what that means. Deliciously fun (even without recipes) and happily I remembered to get the second one when I got this one.
Mary H. Lesser
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wendy is great

Really enjoyed this book. It's very well written with good characters and an engaging plot line. Have already downloaded the next in the series and am looking forward to Wendy's next adventure.
Linda Cole
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed every part

Enjoyed every part

I couldn't put the book down. charming characters interesting mystery liked the magic mixed with romance. Will read the next one when out
Wende
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-m, mystery, witches
Was a good book. The mystery held my attention. Wendy was a great charactor who I want to read of more.
Michele bookloverforever
promising start to a promising series...
  • Bouncer
  • The Paul Mcdonald Mystery Series Vol. 1-2: With Bonus Short Story!
  • The Numbers Game
  • Double Forté (LeGarde Mysteries, #1)
  • Hamelin's Child
  • A Smoky Mountain Mystery (Off the Beaten Path #4)
  • The Seven Stars
  • The Marketmaker
  • Tempus (Thieves' World)
  • Salvation
  • The Half-Hanged Man (The Half-Hanged Man, #1-3)
  • Killing the Beasts (DI Spicer Book 1)
  • Divide & Conquer
  • Shattered Palms (Lei Crime, #6)
  • Cinema Lumière
  • The Legend of Ellie Quin (Ellie Quin, #1)
  • The Ghost House (Annie Graham, #1)
  • The Garden of Earthly Delights

Wendy Lightower Mystery (3 books)
  • Bell, Book, and Murder
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Murdered (Wendy Lightower Mystery #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon
  • The Things you find in Rockpools
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Through the Fog (Evan, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • Up Country
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Surrogate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Teacher (DS Imogen Grey, #1)
  • Lies That Bind Us