Start by marking “Red Clover” as Want to Read:

Red Clover

Imagine feeling like an outsider. Now imagine feeling like an outsider in your own family.

The troubled son of a callous father and socialite mother determines his own meaning of success after learning shocking family secrets that cause him to rethink who he is and where heʼs going. In Lee Winekoop’s reinvention of himself he discovers that lifeʾs bitter circumstances can a
Published February 22nd 2014 by Florence Osmund

To ask other readers questions about Red Clover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Clover

BestChickLit.com
Reflecting back on this book, if I had first heard about it via the blogging community I’m pretty sure I would’ve said it wasn’t for me. However, I spoke to the author directly and I’m so glad I did because it’s a beautiful, moving story that gently absorbs you into the lives of the characters.

Having to endure a life full of criticism and isolation, one would assume Lee, the main character, would be more damaged and unable to cope with adult life. Instead, he is inspiring: generous, helpful and,
Effrosyni Moschoudi
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, touching coming-of-age story

I really enjoyed this story and sympathized with Lee, a man who's been unsure of himself, having had the misfortune to be raised in a dysfunctional, upper-class family where he felt misunderstood, if not ignored. His father was critical and aloof and I cringed with compassion every time Lee interacted with him. As the story progressed, and as Lee slowly unraveled his awkward parents' secrets, he slowly began to create a circle of friends around him that,
Lynxie
I loved this book!

This book was read for Awesome Indies Books.

The review can be seen listed under Awesome Indies Reviews

Head on over to the website for this and more great indie books.

“The Awesome Indies showcases great stories that are well written and engaging. Our books step outside genre boundaries to offer you something different. We are the unique voices of independent fiction.” Tahlia Newland, founder.
Sue
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much swearing and one gay bar scene that was too explicit & not necessary. Leave that out & it would be a good read.
M
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely could not put this book down! I read until 3:30 AM, then slept and started reading again. I should be grading papers, but I simply could not think about anything but this book until I finished it. It is THAT good.

The story is so well written, and the characters are so well developed and so real, you feel as though you are sitting right there with them at the Deer Bottom Inn, or are the proverbial fly on the wall and privvy to the private life of some very interesting people.

The desc
Todd
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Curious book. Overall, an enjoyable read but could have been a tad bit more involved.
Debra Barstad
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. It follows the life of a boy into adulthood and the struggles that he overcomes in his life. I would recommend.
BERNICE
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A triumph over adversity story

This is not normally the type of book that I read but it was free so I acquired it. However, it sat on my digital shelf for a while as I continued to read "better genres." Feeling adventurous, I wiped the dust off my Kindle screen and immersed myself into Red Clover not knowing what to expect.

I am glad I did. Ms Osmund is an extremely talented author and much of my reading pleasure was from enjoying her writing style. She tackles human emotions, relationships, oppor
Marilyn
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Poorly written like an elementary school child wrote it. The characters are all two dimensional and contrived from what seems like stereotypes but without the truth.
The story line is predictable and frustrating because of it and the main character who is narrating it is supposedly well educated and affluent and yet had none of the traits of either except to be well-spoken.
Jeannie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read

Loved how everything came together for Lee. He was able to find his way to independence in spite of all those who tried to hold him back.
Lori Bollman
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story line

Not a love story, but filled with love. A variety of characters that make the book worth reading! Truly enjoyed it!
Gail Strong
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Florence Osmund is a master at character-driven novels about relationships. RED CLOVER displays Osmund's talent in the telling of twenty-six-year-old Lee Winekoop, a young man from a upper-crust family of which he's always felt like a misfit. He finally decides to grab his own life by the reins and figure out just who Lee is, rather than who the Winekoops want him to be. It's an extremely interesting story with extremely different character personalities, and a mysterious family secret to boot. ...more
Puja Narula
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are coming-of-age books and then there are books about coming to life...finding yourself, your own personal space and identity, in the melee of world. On the surface the book is about the protagonist—a boy (and then a young man)—finding himself a misfit in his successful, illustrious family and then how he works and fights his way to become who he wants to.

The underlying theme being: "It should never be your goal to be normal. Your goal should be to be whole!"

Red Clover encourages the read
B J  Galaday
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Behind closed doors

This is a story I enjoyed very much. It goes to the point that money doesn't buy happiness and adversity sometimes allows a true character to come forward.
The family Lee was raised in puts a capital D in dysfunctional, but his ability to rise above the efforts to belittle him show the true and strong character that allows him to succeed in spite of his detractors.
I have thoroughly enjoyed all the stories from this author and will be eagerly awaiting more. I highly recommend
Garth Mailman
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lee is a late arrival child of wealthy parents who senses secrets to which he is not privy. Since he bears no resemblance to his two older brothers was he the result of his socialite mother’s dalliance with another man and is that why nothing he does ever satisfies his father. And then there is his mother’s uncle Nelson whom he’s never met but leaves him half a million and a square mile of prime farm land in the dairy capital of America. The overbearing local sheriff and the perky bar maid. And ...more
Pat
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got this book as a freebie and it turned out to be an excellent read. Lee is the youngest of three boys and is nine years younger than his next sibling. Born into an extremely wealthy family, Lee never felt like he fit in. He felt like an outcast all through his school years until he inherited a large sum of money and land. He then started piecing his life together and found out why he always felt the way he did. In the end Lee feels whole. Excellent read about life.
Rosemarie
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finding wholeness

The story of becoming whole through fragments of family interaction is gripping. Who are we when we are not like those around us? And how do we become fully ourselves? Thoroughly enjoyed this.
shannon  Stubbs
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kind of interesting

This story is kind of interesting. It's the kind where you're not sure where the story is going but you keep reading to find out. The story is about a socially awkward guy named Lee and his journey to become whole. I liked the tale.
Zoë Neo
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good 3.5 - 4.

Had no idea what this book would be about going into it. I saw a lot of the twists coming as they were quite predictable and there were lots of hints along the way but I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would.
Dazeeann
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable human interest really great story

A terrific read, goes deep into soul, a human interest story that could teach the value of believing in one's self, and best of all, no violence
Diane Schulz
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Red Clover

Enjoyed this book. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the description, however, I found it hard to put down once I started reading it.
Barbara
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! Not only did it keep my interest but it was a very inspiring story.
Rhonda Ritchie-Warren

3.5.
Mary Ryherd
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining but predictable
Angela
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a fill in until I get to the library. Very easy read..
Rachael Mackie
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this book from Freebooksies. My expectations were low since it was free but I thought it was a good book that kept my attention from start to finish. Worth the read.
Hemalatha Gnanasekar
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well….To me, Florence Osmund is not just a great writer, but a personal friend with a kind heart. She is a very good mentor to all the budding writers. For it was while seeking help with regard to my writing that I landed upon her website. Impressed with her advice and tips, I decided to read “Red Clover”.

The characters in “Red Clover” are so well developed and it left me with a feeling that Lee, Shaneta and Rad are some real people living out there and that I must meet them some day. Also, I w
Charline Ratcliff
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several weeks ago, I noticed that author Florence Osmund had another book out: “Red Clover.” Having read two of her previous works, and being that I like her stories, writing style and messages she provides within her tales, I immediately opted to read and review this latest novel. True to form, Osmund does not disappoint. “Red Clover” is yet another interesting and well written read.

In, “Red Clover,” the journey begins in 1960. Lee Winekoop is just eight years old, but, even at that tender age,
Vivi Chatzikiriakou
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
"It's should never be your goal to be normal. It's should be your goal to be whole!"

When I start reading this book I wasn't sure if I can make it till the end. It looked like the books I intentional avoid reading them. There were so many details like the interior decorations of the house and the way the owners lived or the plenty inside thoughts the main character had whole the time about his life. Although I wasn't keen on reading that kind of books before now, I was truly intrigued about wher
Owen Thomas
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Because I count myself as an optimist looking for evidence to affirm my belief in others, I ended my reading this year with Red Clover, a truly delightful book by Florence Osmund. This was my first experience with Osmund’s work and I can see why she is so popular.

Here is the story of Lee Winekoop, as a boy, then as a man, struggling with the quest that we all encounter sooner or later (and often never finish): Who am I? Where and with whom do I belong in this life? What am I meant to do in the
  • Don't Tell Anyone
  • Black Oil, Red Blood
  • Bear Naked
  • Unnatural Selection (Unnatural Selection #1)
  • The Rain - Part 1
  • The Dryad's Kiss (Ancient Enemy, #1)
  • Deadly Motive (DS Jack Mackinnon #2)
  • The Journeyman (The Commons, #1)
  • Degrees of Delusion
  • The Language of Sparrows
  • Bleeds My Desire (Blood Bonds, #1)
  • Welcome To Orphancorp (Orphancorp, #1)
  • You Won’t Remember This
  • Pegasus
  • The Dying Dance (Detective Byone Book 1)
  • Gather the Bones
  • Meets Girl
  • Human Legacy Project
After more than three decades of working in a business career, Florence Osmund retired to write novels. Her notable website is dedicated primarily to helping new authors—offering advice she wishes she had received before starting her first novel. All of Osmund's novels have earned the BRAG Medallion, an honor awarded to less than 15% of books submitted. She currently resides on a tranquil lake in ...more
“you create your own happiness by the choices you make. If you rely completely on others, you’ll never have it, at least not in the true sense of happiness.” 2 likes
“If you keep letting things happen to you, you’ll always be channeling someone else’s course.” 1 likes