Start by marking “Summer by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Summer by the Sea

Summer by the Sea

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  5,984 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
With a little determination and a lot of charm, Rosa Capoletti took a run-down pizza joint and turned it into an award-winning restaurant that has been voted "best place to propose" three years in a row. For Rosa, though, there has been no real romance since her love affair with Alexander Montgomery ended without explanation a decade ago. But guess who's just come back to ...more
Published April 2014 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Summer by the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer by the Sea

Annette Mardis
If you only like romances with lots of steamy sex, don't read this book.

If you only like breezy novels with quick payoffs, don't read this book.

If you don't like well-drawn characters, don't read this book.

But DO read this book if:
* You like to read about people finding lasting love the second time around;
* You like to see literary puzzle pieces come together in a pleasing plot;
* You like to settle in with characters for a while;
* You don't mind flashbacks and well-fleshed-out back stori
Darcy
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, romance
I am not sure how this author made it on my radar, but this will not be the last book that I read by her. This book was a very sweet story about first loves, first betrayals, and screwed up families.

The story switches back and forth from the present to the past. In the beginning we see where Rosa doesn't have the time of day for Alex, and I have to admit I wondered why, it seemed like she was out of line. But it is as we learn how these two meet as kids and see their friendship progress that we
Arlene
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, adult, read-2016
Summer by the Sea by Susan Wiggs is a perfect beach side read. This is my first novel by Wiggs and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise, so I was definitely glad I included it in my summer reading bundle.

In this novel, we meet Rosa Capoletti who is a successful restaurateur of Celesta by the Sea. It’s located in lovely beach town that has been Rosa’s home since she was born. As with most summer beach spots, the townies always seem to stand apart from the regular summer residents that occupy t
Kelly Moran
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always say that I will take sleep deprivation over a bad book any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Thanks to Susan Wiggs, I'm now sleep deprived. This was the first book I picked up by her, and it won't be the last. She has a way of winding love, family, and friendship into a book that's so emotionally powerful you jump right in the setting. Bravo! I love her already!!!
Carol
Oct 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice romance novel. Not as sexually explicit as some. However, when the teenager takes his girlfriend out after dark with his telescope to see the 'transit of Mercury' and it wasn't a boondoggle, I thought "What's wrong with this picture?" A transit of Mercury takes place when the planet Mercury comes between the Sun and the Earth, and Mercury is seen as a small black dot moving across the face of the Sun. How are you going to see that at night?? Huh? Anyway you don't just point your tele ...more
Jasmine Whitherly
Susan Wiggs possesses great skill in describing the nuances of human emotion and intertwining them into a story line that is real and believable. In "Summer by the Sea" I enjoyed the progression and the complexities of the romance between Alex and Rosa, the flashbacks that put their history into perspective, the descriptions of scenery and the characters' reaction to it. I loved the recipes that fit so well into the theme. Most of all, I liked that the ending was not mushy or overly emotional.
Ns
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to true love there are second chances in Susan Wiggs' novel Summer by the Sea.

From the moment Rosa Capoletti met Alexander Montgomery when she was nine and he ten, they shared an instant connection, one that would create memories of a magical summer. That fateful summer paved the way for several more magical summers shared by Rosa and Alex, oblivious to their differences and circumstances.

For a few summer weeks Alex is a part of Rosa's world but she is never part of his when summer
Audel
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voici un roman idéal pour l'été !

A travers 6 parties, l'auteure nous narre l'histoire de Rosa et Alex. On alterne entre le passé où on découvre la rencontre des deux protagonistes durant leur enfance, avec le présent où Alex est de retour dans la vie de Rosa après plusieurs années et une rupture difficile. Le tout se déroulant la plupart du temps lors des vacances estivales.

Par cette alternance, l'auteure entretient le suspens puisque se pose aux lecteurs deux questions tout au long du roman : q
Anne
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Wiggs is an American author, she's written many stand alone novels and also a couple of series. Summer By The Sea is a romance novel, no getting away from it - if you don't like a bit of love and heartbreak then don't bother. If you like a story that makes you feel good, with a cast of interesting characters and a dollop of Italian food thrown in, then this one will suit you down to the ground.

Our heroine; Rosa, is the owner of a succesful Italian restaurant in a small coastal US town. Her
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a light, summer inspired, fun read and this was it. Even amid all the family drama I became immersed in this story about love and second chances, the ways people deal with grief, and of course all of the foody talk and the yummy Italian recipes included. I loved the characters and wish for another book with Rosa and Alex so that I could see the rest of their story...some of their happily ever after not to mention seeing the two families finally try to get along.
H2
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Andrea
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning, do not read this book if you are hungry! :) Loved the aspect of the Italian restaurant and the many wonderful recipes included throughout the book. Although the story starts out strong, there are a few places where it seemed to lull. However, once the loose ends came together, the storyline really picks up and I found that I couldn't turn the pages fast enough! This is one of the best Susan Wiggs' books I've read!
Rebecca Dean
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent romance novel..... my kind of book. Rosa and Alexander's story was interesting from page 1. I loved the character development by Wiggs. She is great at that....key for a novel to be a good one.

This book had all the right things a romance needs. Loved it!
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosa and Alex meet as kids during the summer at the beach. They remain friends over the summers as they grow up. The experience a lot of "firsts" with each other. Rosa is out-spoken and a go-getter. Alex is quiet, has asthma, and his mother doesn't let him out much. They part as they prepare to go to college. The author weaves life throughout their story and when the truth comes out; some healing can begin. A nice read.
Miss Kim
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Fans
This was my first Susan Wiggs read, and I did like it. However, it didn't blow my sox off. It's the old tale of one half of the relationship being from 'the wrong side of the tracks'. The characters are well developed and there are very strong family connections. It has a nice HEA.
Triinu
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-loetud
Tutvustuse leiab blogist https://triinuraamatud.wordpress.com/...
Diane
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable romance, a second chance.
Sheila Roberts
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just great!
Terresa Smith
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice love story to read in the summer.
Charlotte
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am absolutely in love with this book! This was the first novel I read by Susan Wiggs, but I will look for more of her work.

PLOT (adapted from the back cover): With determination and charm, Rosa Capoletti took a run-down pizza joint and turned it into an award-winning restaurant that has been voted "best place to propose" three years in a row. For Rosa, though, there has been no real romance since her love affair with Alexander Montgomery ended suddenly and without explanation a decade ago.
But
Rachel Rogers
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid, if light, book. A little more depth than your average summer love story - with family lies, class differences, and family illness. I really enjoyed this and flew through it in less than a day, after looking at it and putting it down several times in the last 6 months.
Kathleen A
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great summer read!
Lindsey Twitchell
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy breezy, beach read!
Carolyn Kelso-Bell
Awful. Waste of my time. I only finished it because I hate leaving a book half read. Interesting idea to include the recipes..they were the more interesting part of her novel. LOL.
Terry
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick predictable summer read!
Samantha Pace
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, easy summer read
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the Italian influence and recipes!
Sheila Alexander
Really enjoyed this book
Nicole R
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rosa Capoletti is an Italian American who runs a popular restaurant on Rhode Island's South Shore - she is a local in a land of Summer People. She met Alex, one of the Summer People, when they were 9 years old and when Rosa's life takes a drastic turn at the age of 18, she found she couldn't even count on the man she loved to be there for her. Now 30 and still stinging from Alex's rejection over a decade ago, she has steeled herself ever since against being hurt again. But, when he whirls into h ...more
Paola Peña
***this review contains spoilers***

I really liked this book and will definitely read other books by Susan Wiggs, I just hope they're a little better than this book. I do have to say that I found Rosa to be a bit annoying and liked Alex far more than I liked her. The struggle that they went through to be together annoying. He's rich and his family isn't close, she's poor and her family is super tight. They're from two different worlds and whatnot. Rosa made such a deal out of it that at one point
  • Flowers on Main (Chesapeake Shores, #2)
  • Coast Road
  • The Perfect Summer
  • Dakota Home (Dakota, #2)
  • A Summer in Sonoma
  • Small Town Girl
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...
“She knew with painful certainty that the opposite of love was not hate, but indifference.” 113 likes
“She was the living, breathing proof that the hard things in life didn't have to defeat you - or even define you.” 20 likes