Start by marking “Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?” as Want to Read:
Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?

Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?

(Princesses)

A girl asks her mother copious questions in this tale that encourages readers to follow their dreams.
Published February 1st 2003 by Cooper Square Pub

To ask other readers questions about Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?

Start your review of Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
Kathryn
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute! There's nothing really remarkable or "new" here, but it's still sweet and fun, especially for girls interested in princesses. The message is a tad "cheesy" but it's also a very good one: being a princess has to do with what's in your heart, not where you live, what you do, or what you wear! I really enjoyed the little activities this particular "princess" does with her friends and family. The last page had me laughing and rolling my eyes, but it was also kind of adorable and I think little ...more
Lisa Vegan
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young girls, especially those interested in princesses
Well, this was a very cute, amusing, and sweet short rhyming story with adorable illustrations. Wonderful illustrations! Mike Gordon is named on the cover as the sole illustrator, but on the back inside cover, his son Carl Gordon is also given credit; it says they’re a team.

My favorite things were the pictures of the (cutest ever) dog and the picture that includes the tee shirt that say: “My other job is a princess.”

The last page is a huge gimmick, but I’ll accept it and enjoy it because it has
Mikaela Wilson
What a fun book to read. The use of rhyme is clever as you traverse the pages with the lead character. I like the use of small detail in the images that allow for conversation about how do you know she is a princess? I also enjoyed that the images were linked to the text which would allow for an emergent reader to use multiple strategies to decode. The author I feel creates a very authentic character in that her emotions and quirks fit with how a inquisitive little girl would act. Even though th ...more
Teri
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Marvelous children's book, especially for the princess in your family.
Gayla Hyde
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story for little girls. Love the author.
Lynn Poppe
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute, positive, kid's book
Lacy
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I've had this on hold at my library for months. Almost as soon as I put it on hold, everything started shutting down due to Covid. I finally got to pick it up today. 😅
Amanda Hoffman
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked how this book reinforces a positive image to the child. I think when you read this book with your kiddo they will be able to see it is okay to be different and not perfect like a princess. Princesses still follow the rules and have to clean their room just like any other kid. Which also reinforces that anyone can be a princess.
Valerie
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catalog
Summary: Do princesses ride tricycles or climb trees? Do they even have to do chores? A spunky and inquisitive little girl asks her mom all sorts of questions about what it really means to be a princess. Through simple, yet original rhyme, a mother and daughter get to the heart of what it really means to be yourself.

Potential Audience (reading level): Early

Genre: Fiction

Topic: Loving yourself, realizing that we are all unique and special

Specific curricular uses: I would recommend this as an inde
Julia
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-favorites
Awwwww........
I have no idea why, but i have been digging up some of my favorite picture books lately. naturally, they end up here. naturally.
My stepdad gave me this book when i was....i must have been 5 or 6.
The beginning of the book is a spunky little girl asking her mother the question that names the book. 'do princesses wear hiking boots?'
The little girl (who is as princess-obsessed as i used to be) is answered by her mother that princesses aren't very different than she is, what it means
Megan
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-2nd
Topic: Non-traditional princesses
Theme: Every little girl can be a princess
Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Shared Reading, Independent Reading
Reading Level: Early Readers
Literary Elements: Repetition in call and response, rhyming
Illustrations: Cute characters and bright colors. Illustrations support the text.
Additional Comments: Fun book to read with children. Love the ending: has a mirror that children are to look at to show that they are princesses, too. Lit
Jenna Spinazzola
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
genre: picture book
audience: k- 2nd
reading level: early
topic: non-traditional princesses
theme: every little girl can be a princess, the princess lies within the heart
curricular uses: read aloud, independent reading, shared reading
literary elements: repetition, call and response, rhyming
illustrations: cute characters, supports the text
thoughts: I like the mirror at the end of the book because the children can look and see that they are all princesses no matter what they look like or how they dres
Sarah Kasper
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable book! Much like, "Good Night, Princess Pruney Toes," this story chooses to portray text in an interesting way. When the little girl speaks, the text is portrayed differently from when the mother speaks. Because of this, I could use this book in a lesson about text. Also, each line of text ends with a word that rhymes with the previous line of text, so this book could be used in a lesson about rhyming words. For a cute little touch at the end, the author added a page with a mi ...more
Liz
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
We've read this so often it's memorized! My daughter loved it so much she ate our first copy when she was two. I came in after nap time to discover it torn to shreds with bite marks taken out of many of the pages! We repaired it with a lot of tape, but later just replaced it because we loved it so much!
Marie
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this book!! I am not a fan of the big "princess" rage amongst little girls. Disney princesses are cool, but telling your little girl she's a princess and having her wear "princess" clothes..not my thing. With any luck, my daughter will be more tombboy than Princess and that is a message in this book.
Dolly
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, rhyming, pets, childrens
This is a fun, rhyming story about being a princess, or at least pretending to be one. Unfortunately, a couple of pages were torn out of our book (we'll have to let the library know!) I made up rhymes to complete the missing pages and I think we got the intent of the story, if not the actual words. It's a fun book to read aloud with younger children and we enjoyed reading it aloud together.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very cute book for the princess who wants to be a "princess" but also wants to stomp through the mud. Very simple story, but then, especially with the younger kiddos, that is what you need.

I paired it with a "Self-Rescuing Princess" shirt once for a great gift for a little girl who fits the above description.
Marci
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All types of "girls"
Shelves: favoritebooks
I read this recently at a baby shower. It is the sweetest book about how girls can be both sugar and spice, love bubble baths and making mud pies. Normally I shy away from books with "feminist agendas" :) but I don't think this is one of them. It is just cute and funny!
Ashley
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The princess wants to know about how princesses generally behave and asks all kinds of great questions, and of course, princesses can do anything right!

Sister book of "Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?"
Julie
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute little book where a little girl asks her mommy what princesses do. The mom has a witty remark for every question. The thing I love is that a princess is who you are on the inside. My 2 year old daughter enjoyed the end where she got to see herself in the mirror of the book.
Dawn
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book on the shelf at our local book store and it reminded me of my daughter- a pretty little princess who wears pink and tiaras while digging for worms to go fishing with her dad... She always loves when we get to the end!!
Cassandra
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a cute Princess book that shows that being a Princess doesn't always have to include dresses and tiaras. The book touches all different kinds of girls and shows that even tomboys and girls that love to get muddy and dirty can be Princesses too.
Tricia
Nov 30, 2010 rated it liked it
A little girl quizzes her mother about princesses and discovers that the key to being a princess is in each of us. Illustrations are fun and the girls enjoyed findng her pet on each page doing different things.
Heidi-Marie
This book is probably more meaningful for those who have their own inquisitive little princesses. In some ways, I could see this as a behavioral book. In others, I see it as a snapshot of a fun-loving little girl. It's not my favorite, but it's not bad.
Karen
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I do believe CC is in love. It's a book about a "princess", it has a puppy in it, the princess likes to get dirty and hang upside down, and in the end there is a mirror so CC can gaze at her own princess self. Talk about reaching your target audience.
Paige
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mothers of Daughters
Shelves: childrensbooks
Wonderful story! Raising duaghters is a great, challenging, sometimes difficult, rewarding and always precious previlege.
Erika Batey
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
My daughter loves it.
Kedra
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable! If you have a princess, you need this book.
Henry and Alice
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Bergkid 2 loved this book. It's fun to see that anyone can be a priness!
Jen H.
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great for any little girl who loves princesses. Fun read aloud.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Eric  Julieta: Como mamá / Just Like Mom: (Bilingual)
  • How to Catch a Unicorn
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
  • Sometimes I'm Bombaloo
  • Princesses Wear Pants
  • Angelina Ballerina
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
Carmela LaVigna Coyle's first book, Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? is enjoyed by little princesses everywhere. And now there are several Do Princess titles to choose from. She writes from her studio in Colorado with a puppy on her lap, and beside a wall of glass "to better see the seasons."

Carmela wrote her first story, "Forget-Me-Not," when she was ten-years-old. She hasn't forgotten it... she

Princesses (7 books)
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • Do Princesses Scrape Their Knees?
  • Do Princesses Count?
  • Do Princesses Have Best Friends Forever?
  • Princesses Rule!: Three Not-So-Typical Princess Stories
  • Do Princesses Make Happy Campers?

News & Interviews

“Mommy do princesses seem at all like me?
"look inside yourself and you'll see.”
0 likes