Jump to ratings and reviews

Empower: Fight Like A Girl

Women of TV have united against lupus!

Presenting empower: fight like a girl, a special collection of short stories by top women writers from some of your favorite shows, including: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Family Guy, Person of Interest, Grimm, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Law & Order: SVU, Star Trek: Voyager, Eureka, Twisted, The 100, Malcolm in the Middle, Millennium, Being Human, The Shield, Chuck, Gilmore Girls, Castle, and Game of Thrones.

In this anthology, you'll discover supernatural thrillers, crime mysteries, horror, comedies, and more.

Authors contributing stories to this volume include:

Amy Berg
Lisa Randolph
Kay Reindl
Kira Snyder
Jeane Wong

All proceeds will be donated to the Lupus Foundation of America to help solve the cruel mystery of lupus.

185 pages, Kindle Edition

59 books4 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews
1 review1 follower
September 6, 2016
A whole lot of fun with some scares, suspense, heartbreak and reflection thrown in. I found each story in this collection unique and engaging. While some of the areas/genres weren't up my alley, I still appreciated the characters in each (there are 16 stories... you're bound to fall in love with one of them, if not more).

Overall, well done and great read.

Bonus: I like knowing that all the proceeds from the book will go to lupus research & the Lupus Foundation of America.
Profile Image for Carrie.
250 reviews4 followers
April 1, 2020
Family Guy is on our TV several nights a week, and during opening credits "Cherry Chevapravatdumrong" always catches my eye. I decided to Google her, saw that she's authored some books and contributed to this one. I noticed that proceeds of this book go to the Lupus Foundation. Because I have Lupus I was compelled to buy it.

I'm really wondering if any of these stories were written specifically for this book. Most all of them seem such odd choices. I expected motivational and uplifting tales involving strong females. But so many of the stories were solemn, or portrayed weak and damaged women. With the exception of a couple of stories from this collection, they were all pretty forgettable. Some were downright difficult to follow, as they seemed to jump around too much. Maybe this style translates better to screenwriting than to actual books. I wanted to like this book so badly. It is a shame.
Profile Image for E.
126 reviews13 followers
February 2, 2015
I'm still not too keen on rating and reviewing short story collections. Specially the ones from multiple authors. So you probably won't get much out of me.
I was afraid I won't like Empower. I've had it on my kindle for so long and I put it down after about 15% and then nothing. I've tried to read it several times for read-a-thons and such but I never really did. But it's E-Read-A-Thon now and I finally got to it. I after reading it all I can say I liked the whole thing.
Sure, the quality of the stories isn't always top but I never felt like the stories were rushed or cut down, I never felt cheated and even though there were cases I wasn't the biggest fan of, I still can appreciate the collection as a whole.
Profile Image for Wonderkell.
242 reviews13 followers
February 5, 2015
There are some really fun, fantastic stories in here from some very talented ladies of the tv & comic writing world. I picked it up because I'm a huge fan of Maurissa Tancharoen & I really admire her courage in dealing with chronic illness, Lupus, & thought it a really worthy cause to support & a great way of doing it. Also because I'm a huge geek & knew many of the names from their work in the Whedonverse on such shows/comics as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Dr Horrible & Marvel's Agents of Shield. What I was rewarded with was a fun & sometimes dark romp through the weird & wonderful minds of some of the most talented women working in entertainment writing today.
Profile Image for The Rainbow Zebra.
139 reviews29 followers
February 17, 2015
Great anthology for a fantastic cause

If you want to get your bad ass chick on, look no further than this awesome anthology of stories for women, by women. Proceeds go to help The Lupus Foundation of America Inc.

While not every story was five star worthy, the incredible talent gathered here for a good cause made for a pleasant read. I would typically read one story between books to make it last.

Totally worth every penny!
Profile Image for Allison.
33 reviews
June 30, 2014
Bought this because it supports a good cause, the Lupus Foundation, but found the writing to be pretty uneven. Some pieces are well done, but with others, you can really tell they are written by television writers. They seem much better suited to the screen than the page. One or two may actually have been attempts at satire, because the writing was so full of cliches and over-the-top.
Profile Image for Maddalenah.
609 reviews9 followers
July 24, 2016
Quite disappointing. The stories where okay, I guess, but apart from a few of them, they weren't written in a way I find interesting or enjoyable.
Profile Image for Viana.
18 reviews1 follower
Read
November 6, 2014
Great book. I normally dislike short stories but I have enjoyed each and every single one. "Women of TV have united against lupus!"-Amazon
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.