Start by marking “Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds” as Want to Read:
Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds

Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds

(The Hidden Necromancer 0.5)

…ZOMBIES, INFECTED, DEADERS, BLIGHTERS…

Zombie Tales from Undead Worlds contains three exhilarating short stories and three white-knuckle novelettes set in alternate versions of an Earth inhabited with frightening variants of zombies to haunt your waking hours and fill your nightmares.

In The Blanket, a little boy hides as the end of the world enters his home…

In The Scaveng
Published May 22nd 2014

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds, please sign up.
Melissa Not related to As the World Dies.
Each story seems to be from a different universe with different rules for zombies.

Deadly Night was not in the other…more
Not related to As the World Dies.

Deadly Night was not in the other Untold Tales stories. (less)

Lori
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again I had the pleasure of reading advanced copies of these stories by Rhiannon Frater. They are by far some of her best work, and hands down some of the coolest fucking zombie stories I have ever read. Each story is so totally different from the next, yet the thread of the undead ties them together. The zombies are unique throughout. Most are not your traditional zombies, but there are a few peeks at those dead things we have all come to love!!! I don't want to say anything really specifi ...more
Randy Harmelink
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies, anthology
Wow. I can't remember the last time I read an anthology and loved every single story. So often, short stories don't tell a complete story, but are just an excerpt of a larger story. Which too often means that the excerpt doesn't stand well on its own. I especially hate when the "short story" is basically just the start of a novel and has no resolution of its own. Having said that, I would like to read more about Hank and Patsy. :)

I picked up this one when it was free. I'll definitely be taking a
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)

Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds is a book that I went into reading with much excitement and anticipation. Not only was the author returning to the Zombie genre that I love but also the book was anthology so that meant plenty of Zombie goodness to read about and that's just the way I like it!

One of the things I noticed right off the bat when reading this anthology was how perfectly paced the stories were. None felt too long nor too short. I never felt rushed and the buildup to the big climaxes in e
Michelle
Once again I have had the privilege of reading another fantastic piece of work by Rhiannon Frater. Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds is a book of zombie short stories, but these stories are quite powerful. This is what I love about her writing. It has a tendency to grab your attention from page 1 and doesn't let go ever. Years later you will still remember her written words and they will still have the same effect they had on you when you first read it.
Karen
The short story Necromancer is amazing and adds so much insight into the world of the Unblessed Dead.I also enjoyed the stories The Race and The Building.The collection includes a varied selection of zombie worlds and is sure to please any fan of the zombie genre.
Netanella
A collection of six zombie-themed stories that are some of the best I have read in a long, long time. Ms. Frater is incredibly good.
Lindsay
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Just… *sob*

Rhiannon Frater has created a series of stories that are so emotionally charged and heartbreaking, they left me reeling for days. I’m harboring a lot of resentment, for all that that condensed death. In short stories like this, there isn’t time for hope and happiness. Just lots and lots of zombies and death. And yet… Rhiannon also manages to create full worlds, complete story lines and robust characters is such a small number of pages.

I don’t usually read short stories. I don’t know i
Lorre
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm usually not a big fan of short stories not related to series, but I loved this collection of shorts!

The Blanket is a very short but very sad story of a little boy named Milo.

The Scavengers was my favorite story in this collection! I fell in love with Patsy and Hank! Who would've thought 2 zombies could be so adorable!

The Building... Letty is a 16-year-old girl who was seperated from her mom during the zombie outbreak and she wants nothing more than rejoing her mom.
Loved the story but the end
Elisa
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This little book of zombie shorts was really great. All very different with extremely different characters. Lots of fun. I liked them all.
Toni
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I own several anthologies, I haven't bothered to read many. Something about the skipping from story to story within the same book makes me edgy. I know, I'm weird. I've come to terms with it. This is one I couldn't pass up, though, being about zombies and written by Rhiannon Frater. There are six stories in this gem and each one is distinctive. Not just the characters, but the type of hell they were in and creatures they faced. This is the perfect smorgasbord of horror!

The shortest of the
Mary
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds is the best set of zombie short stories / novellas that I've read. In most collections, you get some great ones, some that are okay and others that are just plain stinkers. Not so with Zombie Tales. Every story is unique and each one is a winner.

"The Blanket" - 5/5 stars - a little boy hiding during a zombie attack. A great start to the book. I was left with one word: "Whoa"!

"The Scavengers" - 5/5 stars - such a different take on the zombie story. What is a zombie?
Erin Hayes
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of beta reading this collection of zombie tales, and I wasn't disappointed. Rhiannon Frater has managed to examine zombies from six wholly different angles. As a reader, it keeps you interested in what's next, because none of these stories are the same. Some are so...intense...I had to step away because it leaves you so shaken. Fans of Frater's previous books know she's not afraid to "go there" when it comes to her characters, and this book is no exception.
The zombies themselv
Abbie
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Actual rating - 3.25

This was an okay collection of short stories, but a couple of them bored me.

The most enjoyable one in the collection for me was the race, and the least enjoyable one was the necromancer.
AH
Oct 31, 2015 marked it as to-read
10/31/15 - Kindle free download.
Ines
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Molto molto belle questi piccoli racconti Zombie, mi hanno preso e quasi mi dispiace che nn siamo stati sviluppati a romanzo. Molto coinvolgente l' ulltimo della raccolta a cui si collegano altre opere della Frater,che personalmente cercherò appena possibile di leggere.
Donna
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the zombie genre in general and am often disappointed in attempts to expand the concept of the undead menace. As a fan of ATWD series I have been craving another zombie book from Frater. I loved how she went beyond that one way of thought. I enjoyed all of the stories & I may have a nightmare or two after staying up till 5 am to finish the book. That heebee Jeebee feeling and urge to keep looking behind me is still there. The stories are thought provoking and so different that I never ...more
Camille
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These short stories were really interesting. It's hard to say what my favorite was, maybe The False Start? But also The Scavengers was really good. Different from each other and different from other zombie novels. I really like zombie tales that show the beginning of the outbreak and people trying to survive, which is probably why I enjoyed The False Start so much.

As I was reading I was thinking, damn Frater, these are grim! (I'm a happy ending kind of girl.) But then I realized that some of th
Melissa
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adore this anthology of stories.

I felt each one did well building a world in the short amount of time.

I saw a comment or two about the necromancer story being boring. I certainly didn't see it that way. I didn't care much for the romance side plot, but the actual story was interesting. Zombie plauges and necromancers isn't a variation I have seen before.

One of the short stories led me to The Living Dead Boy and I'm loving that as well. Apparently, there is another short story related to this
Richelle
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Very short book that includes 6 short stories!
I enjoyed each and ever one immensely!
I did not want them to end and was dying for more as each one came to a close !
As always with a Rhainnon Frater book is was AMAZING!
I have not read one book by her that i have not LOVED!

My Favorites were
-The Necromancer and -The False Start !
It was hard to pick favorites when each once was special and intriguing in its own way! I could honestly see each one of these short stories becoming a book that I would def
Patricia Noland
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhiannon-s-books
Once again Rhiannon's Frater has written a book that kept me enthralled, unable to put it down, and loving every nail biting minute. I love the worlds she creates. She makes every detail real. The characters come alive and become your friends that you care about and want them to live. I love zombie stories and have read a multitude of them and I put this one at the top of my list of best zombie books ever. I recommend this book to all zombie lovers and to anyone who doesn't read zombie tales, re ...more
Amanda
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fell in love with this book the minute I started it! I have always loved the way that Rhiannon presents characters, the ability to make me so emotionally connected to stories and their outcomes, is a beautiful talent, and I thank you for sharing it.
PJ Lea
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Scary.

A scary collection of zombie tales, that don't all have happy endings for the characters involved.
All gruesome and thrilling, some I felt more interested in that others. Overall a good collection.
Dawn
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
The blanket had me creeped out and Jumping at every strange creaking noise. My advice don't read The Blanket late at night during a thunder storm....stupid me.

I didn't really care for the necromancer story but I liked all the others.
Chloe Alibrahim
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!

What a fantastic collection of zombie short stories! I didn't want the book to end! Looking forward to reading some more really soon!
Damali
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Blanket, 3 stars
The Scavengers, 4 stars
The Building, 4 stars. So sad!
The Necromancer, 4 stars. Evil!
The Race, 4 stars. HA!
The False Start, 4 stars.

Shannie
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gah! Love ♡
jennifer
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love these short stories

I always enjoy reading anything by Rhiannon Frater. With her work you totally feel like you are there. Love Zombies? Buy it.
Conny
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
The Blanket - 1 star.

The Scavengers - 2 stars.

In The Building - 4 stars.

The Necromancer - 1 star.

In The Race - 3 stars.

In The False Start - 5 stars.
Jun 13, 2014
Glinda Harrison
Aug 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Odium III (The Dead Saga, #3)
  • Deadland Rising (Deadland Saga, #3)
  • Midway (The Harvesting, #1.5)
  • Dead Living
  • Raider's Curse (Jonmarc Vahanian Adventure #1)
  • Like a Thief in the Night
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • Dead Days: Episode One (Dead Days Season One #1)
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • This Plague of Days (Season 2)
  • State of Decay: Part One
  • Barely Alive (Barely Alive, #1)
  • Blood Soaked and Contagious (Blood Soaked #1)
  • Love in the Time of the Dead (Dead Rapture, #1)
  • Toward the Brink: The Apocalyptic Plague Survival Series Book One
  • Jenny Undead (The Thirteen, #1)
  • Day Zero (Zero Trilogy #1)
  • How to Kill Yourself in a Small Town (Redneck Apocalypse #1)
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

S

The Hidden Necromancer (2 books)
  • The Unblessed Dead (The Hidden Necromancer, #1)
  • The Accused Dead (The Hidden Necromancer #2)