Start by marking “Semper Mine (Sons of War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Semper Mine (Sons of War, #1)

Semper Mine

(Sons of War #1)

“A freak accident landed both of the Khavalov twins under my command, just before a routine mission turned into a nightmare. I brought home one twin in a coffin and the other in a coma missing his leg. I did everything right – and still people died. I can’t forget that night or how many lives it changed, including mine.

It’s natural for their sister, Katya, to blame me. I
Published April 29th 2014 by Guerrilla Wordfare

Start your review of Semper Mine (Sons of War, #1)
Sleepless Readmore
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
4.25 SEMPIRE BE MINE STARS

Sawyer & Katya

description
I may have failed them that night,
but I won’t fail her.
What I’m not counting on: the feelings she ignites within me..."
description

First, book reading by Lizzy Ford and not counting on it to be the last. I FLEW right through this book .. mostly because it was short ... TOO SHORT. It would have definitely 5 star worthy if it had been LONGER and given more to the ending (I NEEDED more). Although, the story was nonetheless wonderful in a non conventional way.
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
1.5/5 stars

** this is mostly a rant, and therefor contains lots of spoilers and a vague timeline of important, spoilery events. You have been warned, read at your own risk **

This book had so much potential, parts of this story that I’ll discuss were at least worth four stars, but so many other parts were only worth a star. This was such a weird mash up of a timeline and point of views that just did not work together.

I detested Katya, she’s completely unhinged and incredibly selfish, it
RJ
DNF

I did not enjoy this couple at all. They fought like cats and dogs throughout the book. It's not a cute 'enemies to lovers' story. They each have some serious baggage that just got old after a while.

And the hero called the heroine a "bitch" so many fucking times. Yeah, she's a bitch. But you're an asshole.

But what really sealed the deal was: (view spoiler)
Lučka
May 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 75%

To think I stayed up till midnight for this book because it was so good, slept for 5 hours and then got to work all bleary- eyed.

description

I should have read spoilers, but I didn't.
description

I love enemies-lovers and military trope. It was cleverly written with the whole camping thing for children who lost their parents, amazing chemistry between MCs and their complete opposite characteristics. I loved it all. It gave me the fuzzy feels. I tell ya it was a 4 or 5*.
Then it all went down the toilet!

(view
Coco.V
May 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on iBooks today (5/16/2019)!
~`*Ella Lee*`~
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a GREAT read.
It was EMOTIONAL, sweet, angsty and HOT!
I loved that the author had these two characters stay true to themselves. The h didn't all of a sudden because less of herself to be with the H. The H knew who she was, knew what she needed and accepted it. The h needed a strong Alpha, because, like so many of us women, would run over any man that tried to put her in her place. Not with the H.
It was very sexy and fun to read. Had just the right amount of smex, angst, craziness and
J
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book just didn't measure up for me. A wonderful premise, a Marine commander attends the funeral for one of his men who died under his command. The soldier's twin was also in his unit and was seriously wounded, losing a leg and in a coma for awhile. At the funeral the Marine commander meets the soldiers' sister who is angry and blames him for what happened to her brothers. She says horrible things to the Marine who is already suffering terrible guilt over the incident. Well, of ...more
Lourdes Caamano
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Lizzy Ford. This one hits close to home, eventhough I am ARMY not a Marine the story deals with the trauma of war and the wounds soldiers carry after returning home, not only the ones we see but the ones we don't. How each caracter deals emotionaly with the loss of someone they love is dead on of how real veterans and their family cope with such a tragedy, and after all the rage, pain and tears the light at the end of that dark tunnel is love.
Zeljka Rankovic
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

For an unbelievably emotional story that made me want to cry out in frustration and laugh in joy at the same time, feeling my hope in humanity - and in love - grow.

Katya was such a strong character. She is so not a girl... she is a grown woman, and she has been one for a long time. Ever since her mother died when Katya was only nine, she has taken on herself the role of a caretaker - she has been taking care of her family, two older brothers and her father. When she unexpectedly loses one
Renee
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dual-pov
I loved this book and I would've given it 5 stars if not for one little (huge) detail..... The Green Berets are NOT I repeat NOT part of the Marine Corps!! Seriously I bugs me so much when an author doesn't bother to do the tiniest bit of research!
That being said I loved the characters and the chemistry between the two main characters. And I admit it, I did tear up at the end.
Catherine
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It dragged in places, like badly. And I'm still not totally sure that I buy the relationship beyond 'casual f***'.
Olga therebelreader
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars
Roxane
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lau
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
4/5

“Mikael understood that, too,” he continues. “We all knew what we signed up for and that we might not come back one day. It doesn’t make it easier to lose someone, but his death is not your burden. She knows it, too. If she hated you, truly hated you, she wouldn’t be near you. I think some part of her wants to understand you. Mikael chose to save you as much as me, and you are the only reason any of us made it out. Whether or not she will admit it, that means something to her. You mean
Chelsea
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I seriously loved this book. I wasn't sure about it because I have mixed feelings about military from personal experiences of my own. I have quite a few friends in different ranks including one is a marine. The minute I opened this book I could not put it down.
Sawyer and the emotion behind the loss of his four crew members was so well written especially Mikael. The connection between Sawyer and Katya was great. I loved the banter between the two. And I loved that they were made for each other
Jessica Frances
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Semper Mine was such a beautiful story. This is the story of a marine returning home from war with the body of four fallen soldiers from his team. It begins at the funeral of one of the fallen soldiers, with a family who is not only grieving the loss of their son, but also another son who was also injured and has lost a leg. Sawyer, our main hero, who was in charge that fateful day is such a wounded man. He is haunted by the choices he has made and the death he has seen. The sister of the fallen ...more
Anna D.
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just great! The chemistry and the “opposites attract” pairing between Sawyer and Katya was wonderful to read. Both are a bit broken from loss gave them something in common while their contrasting personalities served to complement each other. The other difference that I loved was Sawyer is a loner, always has been since he was orphaned, while Katya is very close and tied to her family. I was happy to see Sawyer find a family that embraced him so fully.
Ginelle Blanch
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I listened to the audible version of this book**

I loved this story. It was well told and the narrator was perfect.

Emotional.
Frustrating.
Funny.
Satisfying.
Hot.

I loved Katia and Sawyer. They were the perfect comination of headstrong and level headed calm. I loved their fire and ice, their banter, and their sincerity.

Really good read.
Amelyn Randall
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! I love an author that can make me cry, and write a lovely romance without a triangle. Military hero meets feisty girl who doesn't approve of war. There was not a dull moment until the end. I wasn't thrilled with the ending, but that didn't destroy my overall enjoyment of the book.
Maria
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars - I wanted to be able to give this a higher review but I could not, due to the fact that I felt towards the end, the story felt rushed and I felt that it did not do the hero and heroine justice.

Parts that I wanted more details to were left hanging, such as when he encounters his female military counterpart and makes his decision to take her up on her offer. Some love scenes we're just not well developed at all and that was very disappointing. The scene in the sleeping bag was much
Patty
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love military romance, and I found this story to have so many good elements, it was hard to stop listening. Sawyer Mathis comes back the US to bury one of his men, and meets the family. Little does he know how his life will change. Katya Khavalov is burying her brother, and help nursing her other brother back to health from this attack. Blaming Sawyer for all the misfortune is the easy way out. But circumstances bring the two together and as opposite as they are, get to see each other first ...more
Kim
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this free e-book from Amazon and I am voluntarily writing a review. Katya is the sister of twin brothers that end up in a special ops unit in Iraq. One is killed and one loses his leg and comes back in a coma. Sayer is the officer in charge of her brothers unit and she blames him for what happened to her brothers. This is a great book that deals with survivors guilt and grief and loss by family and friends.
Tati
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, chick-lit
Okay, i really really liked it, but ending really bothered me.
Sarah Porcelli
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
When you want to read a fairly mindless romance, this series is good. More fluff than smut, and deals with the traumas of war in a fairly realistic way.
Alexandra G.
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fantasy
3 stars

A really nice book. Easy to read and very relaxing.
I liked that at some point I didn't now if they will end up together. I liked that. It gets boring sometimes when you practically know what's going to happen.

Overall it was an enjoying read.
Sophia
He gave the order that sent his team in on a mission that got four men killed and one injured. Though he and the team did everything right, the unthinkable still happened. Captain Sawyer Mathis thought nobody could blame him more than he blamed himself, but he was wrong. He holds everything in and tries not to feel and when he gets the full force of the fiery woman at the funeral, he knows why. It's nearly torture to feel. She may be a rich, spoiled, ill-tempered witch, but she's right about ...more
Lynn Z
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this audiobook free for an honest review. I thought this was a great war story. The heartache in losing someone in the war and the injured that come home brings the reality of the casualties of war to the forefront. The author did a great job with the characters. Katya and Sawyer's characters are so realistic. The story has some minor twists and turns but ends on a good note. I have never read this author, but will look for additional books. Having never heard this narrator before, ...more
Linda
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In general, I either really like or love most of what Lizzy writes. Most of her books are paranormal in nature, but when she does decide to write a serious, more contemporary book, she always surprises me in that she manages to grab my attention in a way that often surpasses my expected reaction to a book. What I mean by that is the book drew me in, and even when I wanted to be annoyed with Katya, I couldn't because the pain of losing someone close to you is something many of us who have lost ...more
Christina
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
AHHHHHH PERFECTION! I LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS!

I read SOLDIER MINE, the second book in the Sons of War series, before this one and that is what prompted me to read this! While both books can be read as stand alone reads, it still felt nice to finally get the backstory on one of the couples mentioned in SOLDIER MINE. And it only made me fall in love with Ford's writing and storytelling even more.

Lizzy Ford had a way of making you feel each and every emotion that ALL of the characters, primary and
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Barely Breathing (Colorado High Country, #1)
  • Flames of Love (Firefighters of Long Valley #1)
  • Between Friends
  • Worth the Ride
  • Ranger's Legacy (Montana Rangers #1)
  • Sin with Me (Sin with Me, #1)
  • Prairie Heat (Cowboys of the Flint Hills, #1)
  • Some Girls Lie (Outback Heat, #4)
  • A Covert Affair: A SEAL Romance Novel
  • Fix Her Up (The Fix, #1)
  • Survive the Night (24 Hours - Final Countdown Book 1)
  • Take Your Time (Boston Love, #4)
  • Playing with You (Riding Tall, #5)
  • Lucky Kiss (Hope Falls #12; Kiss #2)
  • Sugar
  • Whiskey Secrets (Whiskey and Lies, #1)
  • Plain Jayne (Friends First, #1)
  • Unexpectedly Yours
I breathe stories. I dream them. If it were possible, I'd eat them, too. (I'm pretty sure they'd taste like cotton candy.) I can't escape them - they're everywhere! Which is why I write! I was born to bring the crazy worlds and people in my mind to life, and I love sharing them with as many people as I can.

I'm also the bestselling, award winning, internationally acclaimed author of over sixty

Sons of War (3 books)
  • Soldier Mine (Sons of War, #2)
  • S.E.A.L. Mine (Sons of War, #3)
“(She) is the kind of person who thinks throwing lemons at enemies is better than making lemonade.” 2 likes