Start by marking “Somewhere Between Water & Sky (Shattered Things, #2)” as Want to Read:
Somewhere Between Water & Sky (Shattered Things, #2)

Somewhere Between Water & Sky

(Shattered Things #2)

I heard it said once that every human is a story with skin.
If this is true, paragraphs would be etched in the scars on my wrists.
Whole chapters could be written about the way my heart pounds when I startle awake.
And every single one of my tears could fill a book.
But stories, with all their promise, only leave room for disappointment. I don’t have room for that anymore. I
Kindle Edition
Published September 18th 2014 (first published September 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere Between Water & Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere Between Water & Sky

Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain." Joseph Campbell

I am not sure how I can write this review. My brain, as of late, has been a complete pile of mush. Pregnancy brain mush. But I happened upon this quote above while trying to find some inspiration to write it. And let me tell you that it couldn't have been more perfect for this book. At least to me.

Rameriz writes a story that is absolutely full of hurt and pain. But in the midst of all this tragedy comes
Lita
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
An outstanding breakthrough and an incredible piece of work!

The second book in Ramirez's Shattered Things series, starts off months later from the ending in book one. I believe this book could be read without reading the first, especially if your one of the weak hearted, faint-hearted, easily squeamish whatever you like to call it. BUT. The only way to truly grasp and connect with Stephanie's feelings, emotions, and truly understand the depth of hell she went through, then you would not see a wo
Trader (RedHotBlueReads)
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-favorites
At the end of Every Shattered Thing, Stephanie runs away from her home, freeing herself from her abusive father and leaves Kevin behind after she is devastated by his betrayal. Looking for a fresh start where no one knows her, she lands a job at a coffee shop, lives in a hotel, and tries to forget her past while her father’s voice in her head whispers poison to her.

Against her better judgement, she lets her two coworkers, Jessa and Ren a little bit into her life. Stephanie doesn’t trust anyone w
Elizabeth (Your Ordinary Bookworm)
Initial Thoughts: This book was absolutely gorgeous. The first book was hertbreking and so was this book but with it came a lot of hope and surprises and I couldn't have asked for a better book.

The Characters: Now if you've read the first book, you know that Stephanie ran away at the end because she felt like everyone had only been lying and tricking her even though they were helping her. She was most devsted in thinking that Kevin had only been pretending to love her and that she was only a job
Holly Baker
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
It has been exactly one year and one month since I sat down to write my review for Every Shattered Thing by Elora Ramirez, and now here I sit again, trying to find the words to write a review for it's sequel. With the sensitivity needed in the approach of Stephanie's story, I've found myself on both times being nervous of writing about it.

I knew straight away that Somewhere Between Water And Sky would be different to the previous book. There was just so much heartbreak and devastation in Stephan
Bree
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a page-turner!

This follow-on from Every Shattered Things follows Stephanie Tiller to California where she is part on-the-run, part on-the-journey-to-finding-herself.

Thankfully, Elora never glosses over the real trauma that Steph has experienced (I have to call her Steph - she is completely real) and Somewhere Between Water and Sky explores the fragile nature of her personality, in her strength and her beauty and her pain and her triumph.

The relationships Steph tentatively forms in this stor
Amber
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Check yes! Loved the book. Somewhere Between Water & Sky started out with mystery and some really dark emotions. I was like, "Wow, let's jump right into this!" I really didn't know what to expect from this book. As I kept reading it, I found myself saying, "This would be an awesome back story" or "I hope we find out more about these other characters". Well. Um. Apparently this is the second book. The first is called Every Shattered Thing. Even though there's a first book to it, Somewhere Bet ...more
Roxanne Kade
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Soul!!

Excuse me while I pick up the pieces of my shattered heart!!

This book was amazing in every way and it left me breathless. Every Shattered Thing tore me to pieces, and when I heard about this book I could not wait to see if Kevin would find Steph, and if they'd work things out. But mostly I wanted to see if Steph would finally find the peace she so deserved.

Although this story still held the dark undertones of the first book, it was filled with so much more hope and the promise of a
Bookbesties
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: must-finish
First, this was the every first time I have ever read anything by this author but after reading the premise of Between water and Sky, I was very intrigued. I started out loving the way it was written, so much hurt and pain that was conveyed in just a few sentences, that requires talent. Other Authors I’ve read take pages to say that the MC felt, sad!

Stephanie is running, it’s clear in the first sentences of the book that she ran out of fear, and hurt and pain. She has the average temperament of
Risa
As seen on Gaga Over Books:

I haven't read the first book to this series as well. :/ I don't think I want to read it as it is going to be harsh/dark and I am not- I can't digest it nowadays if you know what I mean. This book deals with the same harsh reality but it has things a bit more on the brighter side what with our protagonist's trying to take control and she does.

I loved the writing in this. I mean look at the synopsis. Some beautiful words there. Our protagonist has dealt with human traff
Hooked On Books
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the follow on from every shattered thing. Months later Stephanie runs of to LA in search of new beginnings, she's trying to hide the scars of her past but the ghosts are still in her head, they're still talking to her, she wants to set them free. But this time around she's ready to fight ! And fight she does, I was so proud of her.
This book shows you the devastation of what human trafficking can do and the effect it has. It shows how one shattered heart can over come all of her past and
Linda
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a hard book to read, and not due to the subject matter. The author rarely would indicate who was speaking, so the reader must guess. Another really annoying thing is that the there is a major plot point that the main character watches the sun rise over the ocean. That would be nice if the story wasn't set in California. There were so many mentions of the sun rising over the ocean that I started to really get annoyed. In California, the sun SETS over the ocean. In order to watch the sun ...more
R. Fisher
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Elora reaches into the depths of humanity and brings us another chapter in Stephanie's story. At first I was hesitant, feeling as awkward as Stephanie does when we meet the newest members of this cast of characters that compile her life. But as the book went on, the tears flowed. I have a love for Kevin, a love for Stephanie, and a love for this story that left me raptured and broken and weeping and forever changed -- once again.

This book is not for the faint of heart. But it is for
Melissa Boles
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At the very least, you will fall even more in love with Stephanie. More likely, you will begin to carry her story in your heart and will go through grief and growth with her. What a beautiful sequel, and an excellent book in its own right. Ramirez knocks it out of the park all over again. Full Review: http://melissaboles.com/2014/09/24/so...
Jenny Kanevsky
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Very lush prose. I don't typically read books where the protagonist is so young; it was a nice change for me and brought me back to what it was like in my 20s, full of promise but also confusing, you're between ages almost. The author handles this well. I recommend this book.
Samantha
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, 2014, favorites
This was a great sequel to Stephanie's horrible beginning. I am glad that justice was served and that she can continue through life being free to be herself. I would love to read a third story about her journey through life. Stephanie is a character that I will keep with me for a very long time.
Amanda
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. this was so many EMOTIONS! Such a sad and powerful story!

full review to come.
Selena Haskins
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The title and the cover of this book attracted me to read it, but I didn't know it was a sequel. The writing is simply phenomenal and Ramirez nails it with her descriptions and narrative-conscious thoughts! I really felt for Stephanie who was obviously running away from something since the very beginning of the book. I felt sorry for what happened to her in the past, but she escapes to a small part of California and befriends two coworkers- Ren and Jessa at the coffee shop.

Each character is ver
Barb
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book. At the end of Every Shattered Thing, Stephanie runs away from her home, freeing herself from her abusive father and leaves Kevin behind after she is devastated by his betrayal. Looking for a fresh start where no one knows her, she lands a job at a coffee shop where she becomes friends with 2 people, lives in a hotel, and tries to forget her past while her father’s voice in her head whispers poison to her.
Ian Wallace
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep

This is one of those unusual book that tells a really compelling story having the potential to leave a profound personal impact. Stephanie is a truly compelling and complex character and her story is told with all the twist and unpredictability of a true to life drama. This character truly belongs in a book and I have no doubt there is room for her in quite a few more.
denise
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie

Wow!! You have to read Every Shattered Things before you read this book. I will not go into how good these books were other than to say I read both books in two days. Two very awesome books, I'm happy to have read!
sandy elder
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it!

This was a suspenseful novel about growth and the human spirit. I would highly recommend it. Read it and you will not regret it.
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: blog-review
When I got the email listing for “Somewhere Between Water and Sky” I could not pass up the opportunity to read a book with a description this intense and thrilling! Just the first four sentences give me chills!

Little did I know this book was the second book in a series and I hadn’t read the first book.

What the hell?!

For those of you who don’t know, I HATE to read an author in the middle of a series. There are some books you can read out of order and some you cannot. However, to fully understand
Tanya Marlow
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, fiction
This is the eagerly-awaited sequel to Every Shattered Thing, Elora’s Young Adult-style (think The Fault in Our Stars) story about a girl caught up in sex trafficking. Every Shattered Thing is an excellent book, but it is also quite dark, and so I was relieved that although the sequel is just as gripping and likeable as the first, it is not quite as dark.

It is set in California, where Stephanie has relocated in order to live a normal life and try to come to terms with all that has happened to he
Jill
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The sequel to 'Every Shattered Thing', and a more believable story, imho. This deals with the repercussions of the trauma suffered in book #1, and I'm really glad that the start of the healing process got an entire book. I'm also glad there was a bit of a twist to 'happily ever after', and a nod to empowerment. If I could change one thing - the introduction of saving grace over and above the common grace throughout the story.
Shelby Lin
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elora Ramirez just keeps getting better as a writer, and that much is apparent in this stunning sequel. The characters are authentic and relatable, and the dialogue is actually believable. If you're looking for a tale that proves you don't need fancy gimmicks and cheap tricks to write a compelling, beautiful story, then this is the book for you. Absolutely haunting in its beauty.
Shanna Wright
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The review of book one stands for book two. I'm just not a fan of these books. I've seen this topic brought to life in true stories that seem more powerful at educating on slavery and those who do break free. These books just weren't for me.
Katie
Dec 31, 2015
nicole riccio
May 26, 2019
Patricia
Feb 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Books 1 & 2 in the Shattered Series 1 4 Sep 17, 2014 08:34AM
Elora Ramirez has been telling stories her whole life.

She taught herself how to read and cut her teeth on books from Dr. Seuss and writing anywhere she could find the space -- including her Fischer Price kitchenette, the pages of picture books, and Highlights Magazines.

She's matured since then, writing instead in the margins of her books and on the mirrors of her apartment.

Founder of Awake the B

Shattered Things (2 books)
  • Every Shattered Thing (Shattered Things, #1)
“I should have known the silence would burn me. .::.” 0 likes
“When I took that Ecstasy, I knew what would happen. The dealer was notorious for potent batches. I just needed an escape from this…” 0 likes