Start by marking “Deadlift” as Want to Read:
Deadlift

Deadlift

Deadlift is a weightlifting term that refers to the action of lifting a weight from the floor to a standing position, gripping a bar.

David Lowe is currently performing the heaviest unrecorded deadlift, performed outside competitions rules, or any rules, by holding the severed cable of a thousand-pound hotel elevator containing his wife and an undetonated bomb, while a ki
Published April 27th 2014 by DarkFuse

To ask other readers questions about Deadlift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadlift

Dan Schwent
Jul 18, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
When David Lowe thought his wife was cheating on him, he hired a man to kill her. Now, he's holding an elevator cable and is the only one who can save her life. That is, if the man in the mask doesn't kill him first...

This is the first book in my Kindle Unlimited Experiment. For the 30 day trial, I'm only reading books that are part of the program and keeping track what the total cost of the books would have been.

Deadlift is a tale of iron will, of passion, and of not quitting once the shit hits
Paul Nelson

That’s the opening line from this excellent Darkfuse novella but don’t fear, there’s no sweaty participants labouring in a gym in this story, in fact the only weightlifting done is when David Lowe, a mountain of a man, grasps a severed elevator cable and effectively becomes the only thing preventing an immediate and catastrophic plummet to the ground floor.

Why? B
Richard Vialet
*3.5 Stars*
This little DarkFuse novella starts out with the most attention-grabbing of premises. A man stands for 1 minute and 36 seconds braced in the door of an elevator shaft high up in a fancy hotel, holding up an elevator car with his bare hands by its severed cable; an elevator holding his beloved wife inside. He's hired a hitman to kill her but now is having second thoughts. We're allowed to have those every now and then, no? But I don't want to say much more than that because it will spo
Edward Lorn
Sep 17, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Recommended to Edward by: Paul Nelson, Charlene Cocrane, Matthew Pontiff, Dan Schwent
First off, thanks to everyone who recommended this book to me after reading my review of Bloodeye: Paul Nelson, Matthew Pontiff, Charlene Cocrane, Dan Schwent... my apologies to anyone I missed. I probably wouldn't have found this one otherwise, since I missed it on NetGalley.

Deadlift is thus far my second favorite read of 2014. The only book I enjoyed more this year was James Newman's Animosity. This novella's premise is one of the most original ideas I've come across. Because of the unique con
Gregor Xane
May 27, 2014 Gregor Xane rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I liked this. The taut storytelling, the stripped-down prose style. It read like not a word was wasted.

Deadlift's a cool noir tale with a unique central conceit that, on its own, would have made for a pretty fine read, but Saunders mixes in a little something extra that takes this up another level for me.

I didn't much care for the ending, but I would imagine that I'd be in the minority in this regard.

Recommended.
Zoeytron
Sep 18, 2014 Zoeytron rated it really liked it
The eye of the beholder takes on a whole new meaning for David Lowe after he hires a man to kill his wife. It turns out to be a mistake that Lowe desperately tries to rectify, but will he have the strength? Beware the mask. It breathes . . . .
Kate
Apr 30, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it

David is a weightlifter and soon finds himself using his skills in an unexpected way to try and save his supposedly cheating wife.

It's hard to really peg this story as it starts out as an all action thriller, deftly switching between different timeframes to layer a tightly packed story. It then slightly switches to something more supernatural, these elements only add to the story and in no way detract from the fast pacing which is break neck speed in some parts.

There were a couple of things tha
Kimberly
Apr 30, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This novella had an incredible premise that grabbed my attention instantly. I read through it in a single sitting--there was nothing that could have torn me away from the action unfolding once it had begun. The raw emotions portrayed, combined with the physical strength, mentality of the various characters, and shifting points-of-view, really made this novella stand out among so many others! There are many different angles to this story, and once they start coming together, you'll find yourself ...more
Matthew
It isn't often that a book leaves me speechless after finishing it but this one did. It is very powerful and sure to ignite emotions in any one who reads it (you really should). Reading through it made me want to laugh a few times, cry several times and gave me goosebumps at the connection I felt with the characters and the emotions that they felt - love, trust and fear are foremost in my mind. This book is worthy of my highest of recommendations.
Char
Apr 30, 2014 Char rated it really liked it
Shelves: darkfuse-titles
My friend Matthew emailed me after reading this novella. He was raving about how great it was and now that I've read it, I have to agree.

I admit that I was turned off a little by the title, but the story inside isn't about weightlifting, and it's not for the faint of heart. This is an emotional tale with characters that wrap their arms so tightly around the reader that it's hard to breathe.

I recommend this novella to readers/lovers of dark fiction, and a big thanks goes out to Matthew for the Ki
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of David Lowe, a weightlifter and giant of a man. He suspects his wife of an affair so he hires a hitman who is an expert in explosives, to blow up the lift that his wife is in with her suspected lover. After the initial explosion he has a change of heart and now he is holding onto the lift by one cable, with a man holding a gun to his head. Add am insane serial killer into the mix and it goes horribly wrong very, very quickly...

This was a most unusual story. On the face of it,
Mike
Apr 29, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Craig I have read and won't be the last. A very good quick read published by DarkFuse. Started the book last night and finished this morning. The main character of the story is David Lowe, a weightlifter. He thinks his wife is cheating on him and hires a hit man. Also in the story is a killer in a sackcloth mask. The story jumps back and forth into the present and past and show us how all things tie together. Don't want to say to much. But if you have a little time you ...more
Bill
Apr 29, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: darkfuse
A very solid and original novella from DarkFuse and Craig Saunders. David is a very big dude. A very strong dude. A very jealous dude. A gross misunderstanding sets in motion a train of events that even a power lifter like David can’t stop. As characters intersect, the story takes on a much more sinister tone than just marital jealousy and even murder. Enter, the man in the mask, who wants to pass on his legacy…a legacy of blood.

Sometimes, you got to own it.

Highly Recommended!
Bandit
Jan 10, 2015 Bandit rated it really liked it
Saunders has always been a very impressive author, but this novella really showcases the excellence of his writing. Deadlift is cleverly named, with at least two meanings, particularly at the start where we find our hero holding an elevator by its cable with his bare hands. As the events progress in the most violent way possible, we also learn how all the players got to that specific point of the play. The tragic paths that lead to a terrible tragedy. And here's how awesome of a writer Saunders ...more
Trev Twinem
Oct 22, 2014 Trev Twinem rated it liked it
Shelves: darkfuse
Take a touch of film noir, add a little bit of hard boiled and a smidgen of Stephen King stir them all together and the final result will be something very similar to Deadlift. I did enjoy this short tale told in a very direct manner through the eyes of a troubled David Lowe abused in childhood by a violent father “own your own guilt and pay your dept” and possibly showing signs of insanity as he arranges for the death of his wife Freya Lowe. If you add to this mix a killer known as the “other m ...more
Mommacat
Apr 29, 2014 Mommacat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: darkfuse, horror
This review is from: Deadlift (Kindle Edition)
I'd be willing to bet you've never read anything like DEADLIFT before. I sure haven't. Stories about weightlifting aren't normally on my shelf. Well, this isn't really about weightlifting, but it is about strength. As for horror, there were several OMG moments. More than I would have expected, or hoped for. I started the book thinking the author (who was new to me) had a pretty good idea, a pretty nice writing style and I thought I was kinda liking t
Chris
Jun 04, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Darkfuse has put out several very good supernatural noir stories recently and Deadlift is certainly among them.

First it starts out as an edge of the seat straight forward thriller---how long can this giant of a man, yet still a man with human limitations, hold onto the cable of a falling elevator with his wife inside? You can almost feel the metal cable tearing into flesh as the car slips slowly downward.

Then in comes a supernatural twist that turns out to have a long and interesting history and
Donald
May 08, 2014 Donald rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this based on the blurb, but I knew I'd be in for quite a ride. Saunders did not disappoint. Deadlift has a little something for everyone: love, betrayal, murder, heartbreak, and a bit of the supernatural.

Bodybuilder David Lowe believes his wife is cheating on him and, in a fit of insane jealously, hires someone to kill her and her lover. At the last minute, he has a change of heart, but not before the first explosion severs the support cables in the elev
Christopher Fulbright
Jul 04, 2014 Christopher Fulbright rated it really liked it
I have been looking at this book for a while. Every time I saw it mentioned, or it came up on Amazon, I thought, "yeah, this looks pretty cool." Well, I finally took the plunge and I'm glad I did. DEADLIFT is a good story with a fresh concept, which is extremely hard to come by these days, particularly in genre fiction. I'm confident that anyone picking up this book will turn the last page and realize they've never read anything quite like it.

Equal parts horror story and action novel, this is a
Steven
Aug 27, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it
A new author for me, but after reading this novella blitzkrieg style, I will be searching out more of Craig Saunders books. The opening premise is compelling: weightlifter man holding onto the cables of an elevator that his wife is in. Drop it and she dies. How long can he hold on? But that is just an event and not really what this novella is about because there is so much more going on. Saunders style here is quite interesting. Lean but evocative. Action focused. But also surprisingly deep char ...more
Jay
Jul 23, 2014 Jay rated it it was amazing
Deadlift was a "most excellent" read. I had received the novella when it first came out and it got "lost" on my Kindle, so I forgot about it. Upon "unearthing" it I saw it was fairly short so I started reading it on my commute home and wow. As others have stated, a weightlifting book is not what I would strive to read (thus it becoming "lost), however this is much more than a weightlifting book. The book jumps back and forth in time seamlessly (often I get :lost," when this happens), but this au ...more
Troy
Jul 20, 2014 Troy rated it it was amazing
Craig Saunders' Deadlift is one hell of a novella. I can always tell if I'm enjoying a novel or novella when I lose track of time while reading. David Lowe is an outstanding well drawn character. I think this is another excellent example of the diverse offerings available from DarkFuse. This novella has elements of noir, horror, crime fiction and the author seamlessly melds all three into a captivating tale.
Tim
Apr 30, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read, darkfuse
This is a brutal tale of revenge, misunderstanding and mistakes centered on a big powerful man plagued by doubt and jealousy. Due to an ill advised decision he has made a collection of interesting characters are introduced and a series of events are told in a nonlinear fashion. The last half of the book read at such a fast pace I couldn’t put it down. Highly recommended.
Dawna
May 17, 2014 Dawna rated it it was amazing
So, DEADLIFT is a very interesting book! Its topic is one that hasnt really been written about before (that I have seen) and is told in such a way that it shocks the system a bit. Great read!!!
Nayan Patel
Jul 02, 2016 Nayan Patel rated it really liked it
Deadlift is a short story which is thoroughly enjoyable not just because it starts with a quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger (No, it's not "I'll be back") but also because it is thoroughly unpredictable. Having so many twists within such a short story is no mean feat and the author does a fantastic job.

However, it's not that I found the book to be flawless. For one, I wasn't satisfied with the ending (remember how you felt at the end of the first installment of the Lord of the Rings movie?) as it
Bob Meracle
Jul 01, 2014 Bob Meracle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story of jealousy, rage, remorse and redemption involving a weightlifter and a supernatural killing force. Hope to see more books involving the mask. Highly recommended.
Ricardo
Ricardo rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Jfx
Jfx rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Shannon Sporleder
Shannon Sporleder rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Craig Saunders is the author of over thirty novels and novellas, including 'Masters of Blood and Bone', 'RAIN' and 'Deadlift'. He writes across many genres, but horror and fantasy (the 'Rythe' tales) are his favourites.

Craig lives in Norfolk, England, with his wife and children, likes nice people and good coffee. Find out more on Amazon, or visit:

www.craigrsaunders.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/cr
More about Craig Saunders...