Start by marking “Passagier 23” as Want to Read:

Passagier 23

Jedes Jahr verschwinden durchschnittlich 23 Passagiere spurlos auf Kreuzfahrtschiffen.
Noch nie ist jemand zurückgekommen .... bis jetzt!
Passagier 23
Eine Transatlantikpassage wird zum Albtraum.
Packender Psychothrill auf hoher See - ein Ort, wie geschaffen für das perfekte Verbrechen - ohne Polizei und ohne Entkommen.
Published October 30th 2014 by Droemer Knaur (first published October 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Passagier 23, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Panchali Mukherjee
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Andrew Smith
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third audiobook I’ve listened too based on books by this author. I say ‘based on’ because they’ve all been Audible Drama productions, complete with a big cast, sound effects and all of the extras you’d expect from a radio production. My previous experiences with The Child and Amok were excellent and I liked the look of the cast here too, with British actor Max Beesley playing the lead character.

The plot surrounds an investigator (Beesley) whose wife and child disappeared overboard o
Tanja Berg
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
A rather pointless thriller about a grieving police officer, Martin, who is lured on a cruise ship to investigate the return of a missing passenger. Little Anouk turned up out the blue, after having been gone for two months. Her disappearance had been settled as suicide and homicide on the part of the mother. Unfortunately, Anouk is silent.

The case bears an uncanny resemblanace to the disappearance of Martin's own wife and son, Timmy, a few years earlier. Martin has not come to terms with this
Nickyjen
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This time it was an "okay-read" for me.
It wasn't as good as some of his other books but I still enjoyed it!
He definitely showed off his awesome writing style and he wrote about such disturbing issues which made me cringe now and then.
I liked the concept of this book and that it's based on true facts for example that there is a certain amount of people on ships who completely disappear every year and without a trace!
Very frightening!
I definitely recommend this book (and all of Fitzeks other nov
Cerisaye
Listening to the audio book version which is one of those dramatised readings more like a radio play than a novel. Not sure this format works to the novel's advantage, to be honest. It's a psychological thriller not exactly high in realism or believibilty, and the dramatisation only highlights these weaknesses in a way I doubt a straight reading by single voice narration, without added music and sound effects, would.

Having said all that there is no denying the book is a page turner that keeps yo
Seide Novruzova
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That ending👌🏻👍🏻
Karrie Stewart
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audible Audio did not disappoint with this one! This had a perfect blend of a narrator reading the story and actors portraying it. The story was great as well. It was full of twists and turns that kept the story going at a quick pace.
Snuffles
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, real-world, 2018, f-m
The audio book was very well narrated.

The story was exciting, quite a few plot twists that kept you guessing. As these books usually are it was also quite graphic and disgusting at points and not always entirely believable. ;-)
I kind of liked the main character even though he was the archetype of the nothing-to-lose cop.

What I didn't understand (and that might have been an audio book thing) was why a note on the book's background by the author was put between ending and epilogue?
Twinslovebooks2
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
There were some twists, I wasn't expecting...
Laura Lucía
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREÍBLE, COMO SIEMPRE.
Petra
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Passenger 23 audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.
About 23 people disappear from the world’s cruise ships every year. Ship owners have a considerable interest in keeping these disappearances under wraps and tend to describe those that come to light as suicides, whether there is evidence of a suicide or not. That’s the basis for Fitzek’s latest thriller.
Five years ago, undercover detective Martin Schwartz lost his wife and son to such a disappearance on
Vika
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 | SO!!!GUT!!!
Katriina ❆
[Review to come soon]
Alyssa
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's past 4AM right now, so I'm gonna write this after I get some proper sleep.

Among all of Fitzek's books (that I've read so far), this one is closer in essence to Noah than Die Therapie and the likes which deal more about the human psyche (and how it can screw you over). There's something very Fitzek about it, but the atmosphere is different, less... claustrophobic? (Although I guess there's something a bit claustrophobic about being stuck on a cruise ship...)

One thing I've always loved abou
Mars Dorian
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another compelling and page-turning thriller from Fitzek which I burned through in 24 hours.
It all takes place on a cruise ship where a bunch of diverse people (police officer, nurse, author, captain etc.) are mysteriously linked to each other, trying either to solve the case about a missing girl or trying to cover it up.

Since this is a German thriller book, I always expect realistic and serious crime setups, but Fitzek does the opposite: his books are ripe with Japanese anime-grade eccentrics w
Anna
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Sebastian Fitzek and I will be looking for more by this author. Very good thriller with clever and surprising twists all the way to the very end (that moment when you think you have pretty much all the answers and there is still one hour of the recording left!).
I have been reading too many American thrillers recently and this book made me realise how many of them follow the same formulaic pattern. It is possible that German thrillers have their own repetitive formulae w
Stuart McMillan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Audiobook)

A great audio adaption and one definitely worth installing on your device.

The self-destructive protagonist, Martin Schwartz, finds himself re-living the nightmare of his son and wife going overboard when a perpetual cruiser finds new evidence surrounding their disappearance years later.

Using his training as a police detective, Martin hunts down new clues and opens up a new mystery when one of the 23 people a year that go missing, presumed suicide, turns up alive and well on the cruise
Hannah Swinglehurst
Free audible download. Not my usual cup of tea but it was free and had an impressive cast. It’s more gruesome than my usual read. It’s a gripping story and kept me entertained throughout. There’s some good twists and turns. Fortunately I’ve never wanted to go on a cruise but if I had one booked this would certainly put me off! Sebastian Fitzek is skilled at building suspense. There are some far fetched moments but I didn’t really mind as they added to the story.
The long pauses for instrumental
Sally Anders
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This is a book that is hard to put down. Mr. Fitzek knows his tools. Each chapter has surprising twists and ends with a cliffhanger. But at the same time it leaves the reader with a feeling of emptiness like going to a fastfood restaurant. The characters remain flat, so you cannot engage on an emotional basis with them. (view spoiler) That is why I gi ...more
Panchali Mukherjee
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This author was first suggested to me by my mother-in-law. She read this book while on a trans-Atlantic cruise. Since then I have listened to two audiobooks (dramas) by this author. I really liked Amok (Spiel), although in certain places it got a little too dark for me. However, with this book I am having a little more difficulty. I am on chapter 8 and it is getting a little hard to push through without feeling severely distressed.

I'm so glad I pushed through. This book is thrilling and captivat
Airaology
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I listened to the Audible version and what a ride it has been! Slowly the mystery unravels but more plot lines emerged and you feel helpless and lost and confused. It's not just a simple case of whodunnit it's a case of psychological whytheydunnit.

(view spoiler)
Hannah
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Enjoyed listening to this book, started listening as I have previously enjoyed The Child. It has a very similar and sinister feel and is well written. I would definitely read more of Sebastian Fitzek's novels, although I did find this one was slow in places and I would have enjoyed more character development, particularly for the protagonist, but also the side characters.
Very interesting setting though.
Robert Glenister is wonderful as a narrator and I also really enjoyed Max Beesley as Martin
Fiona
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cross between drama and book narration, as there are prolonged periods of straight reading interspersed with sound effects and dialogue. I enjoyed the sound effects (they'd be great to have on all audio books!). I didn't give it five stars because the I found some of the characters unconvincing (such as Lisa). Also, the child abuse descriptions were gratuitous in their detail, making me think the author must be a bit of a psycho!
Dorreen Augustine
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Blair Hodgkinson
This time author Sebastian Fitzek weaves his adventure around cruise ships and the different world of mysteries they offer, from petty crime to eccentric passengers and high-tech assassins and the high suicide rate for cruise line passengers. Putting it altogether, the author creates a twisting, turning tale which could move just a little faster in the audio drama format.
Tjitske
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Fitzek is one sick writer, which is a good thing. The guy creates so many twists and turns that as a reader you feel constantly surprised and amazed. In this story he returns to the cruiseship on which his wife and son disappeared. Supposedly suicide. But there is more going on on board than what meets the eye. After you read this book, a cruise holiday will not be high on your wishlist...
Tina
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't expect nothing like this... I have started to read and then I have had some picture of the story in the continuation. But I was so wrong! This story is sick- it's really strange feeling when you read about cruises in which people make suicides. It's even worse when you read what's happening to some young children.
Charmaine Elliott
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent enacted audible elevated a somewhat fantastical story comprising one curved ball after another. In every possible way this is a dramatic exaggeration - of everything. Certainly entertaining,
Mario Lopez
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

The plot was beautifully written. The various sub-plots always felt relevant and all tied together in the end. The characters were complex. Almost no one was completely good or completely bad.

This is also, by far, the most messed up book I’ve ever heard.
Lina
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
I read this book about a year ago and I can still remember that I loved it because it was so surprising and fascinating. I like Sebastian Fitzek's writing style and his books in general. If you like this genre (and if you don't like it), I absolutely recommend the book!
Rachel Blatchford
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I’ve listened to a dramatised audiobook and I wasn’t disappointed. I enjoyed the different characters, music and sound effects and the storyline was gripping and made me want to get to the next part. I would definitely recommend if you like a good crime story!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Alles muss versteckt sein
  • Der Sarg
  • Der Federmann (Nils Trojan, #1)
  • Final Cut
  • Todesurteil (Maarten S. Sneijder, #2)
  • Stimmen (Beatrice Kaspary, #3)
  • Der Jesus-Deal
  • Blinder Instinkt
  • Die Betrogene
  • Father of Fear (Shepherd #3)
Sebastian Fitzek was born in Berlin in 1971. After going to law school and being promoted to LL.D., he decided against a juridical profession for a creative occupation in the media. After the traineeship at a private radio station he switched to the competition as head of entertainment and became chief editor later on, thereafter becoming an independent executive consultant and format developer fo ...more
“Manchmal war sie sich nicht sicher, wer die größere Macke hatte: der Autor, der sich diesen kranken Mist ausdachte, oder sie, die sie sogar Geld dafür bezahlte, um es sich mit Axtmördern und Psychopathen am Pool gemütlich machen zu können.” 16 likes
“Das ist das Problem mit Wünschen, Herr Schwartz. Nur die falschen gehen sofort in Erfüllung.” 8 likes