Start by marking “Passagier 23” as Want to Read:

Passagier 23

Jedes Jahr verschwinden durchschnittlich 23 Passagiere spurlos auf Kreuzfahrtschiffen.
Noch nie ist jemand zurückgekommen .... bis jetzt!
Passagier 23
Eine Transatlantikpassage wird zum Albtraum.
Packender Psychothrill auf hoher See - ein Ort, wie geschaffen für das perfekte Verbrechen - ohne Polizei und ohne Entkommen.
Published October 30th 2014 by Droemer Knaur (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Passagier 23, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Panchali Mukherjee
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Katie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Passagier 23
Andrew Smith
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third audiobook I’ve listened too based on books by this author. I say ‘based on’ because they’ve all been Audible Drama productions, complete with a big cast, sound effects and all of the extras you’d expect from a radio production. My previous experiences with The Child and Amok were excellent and I liked the look of the cast here too, with British actor Max Beesley playing the lead character.

The plot surrounds an investigator (Beesley) whose wife and child disappeared overboard o
rebecca ☕️
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tanja Berg
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
A rather pointless thriller about a grieving police officer, Martin, who is lured on a cruise ship to investigate the return of a missing passenger. Little Anouk turned up out the blue, after having been gone for two months. Her disappearance had been settled as suicide and homicide on the part of the mother. Unfortunately, Anouk is silent.

The case bears an uncanny resemblanace to the disappearance of Martin's own wife and son, Timmy, a few years earlier. Martin has not come to terms with this
Vavita
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr2020
Exciting! His best thriller so far!
LenaRibka

A gift from Audible😊
Nickyjen
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This time it was an "okay-read" for me.
It wasn't as good as some of his other books but I still enjoyed it!
He definitely showed off his awesome writing style and he wrote about such disturbing issues which made me cringe now and then.
I liked the concept of this book and that it's based on true facts for example that there is a certain amount of people on ships who completely disappear every year and without a trace!
Very frightening!
I definitely recommend this book (and all of Fitzeks other nov
Cerisaye
Listening to the audio book version which is one of those dramatised readings more like a radio play than a novel. Not sure this format works to the novel's advantage, to be honest. It's a psychological thriller not exactly high in realism or believibilty, and the dramatisation only highlights these weaknesses in a way I doubt a straight reading by single voice narration, without added music and sound effects, would.

Having said all that there is no denying the book is a page turner that keeps yo
Seide Novruzova
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That ending👌🏻👍🏻
Karrie Stewart
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-audible
Audible Audio did not disappoint with this one! This had a perfect blend of a narrator reading the story and actors portraying it. The story was great as well. It was full of twists and turns that kept the story going at a quick pace.
Cnikus M
Well, read this in one day, I couldn't take my eyes off the pages. However, I was a bit bored by the cliche character - half crazy middle-aged guy with sad history and (ideally) dead wife and/or child, Harry Hole/Mikael Blomkvist wannabe. The first solution of the mystery was ok for me, as it got more explained, and more twisted, I lost interest. And the ending, with the house in South America was totally over the top. Nevertheless, a nice read for a rainy day. 2,5* for the book and 0,5* for the ...more
Snuffles
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, f-m, audio, real-world
The audio book was very well narrated.

The story was exciting, quite a few plot twists that kept you guessing. As these books usually are it was also quite graphic and disgusting at points and not always entirely believable. ;-)
I kind of liked the main character even though he was the archetype of the nothing-to-lose cop.

What I didn't understand (and that might have been an audio book thing) was why a note on the book's background by the author was put between ending and epilogue?
Ronja
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Twinslovebooks2
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
There were some twists, I wasn't expecting...
Laura Lucía
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREÍBLE, COMO SIEMPRE.
Luboslava
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Did I think that the writing wasn't the best? Yes.
Did I cringe while reading some of the sentences?
Also yes.
But I had a good time and honestly the ending really changed my feelings about this book from meh to yay. So a soft 3.5
Ulla
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Those who love to go on cruises should rethink if they really want to read this book. It plays with all the fears most of us have - especially the feeling of being helpless. The end is fabulous! I was very impressed!
Petra
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Passenger 23 audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.
About 23 people disappear from the world’s cruise ships every year. Ship owners have a considerable interest in keeping these disappearances under wraps and tend to describe those that come to light as suicides, whether there is evidence of a suicide or not. That’s the basis for Fitzek’s latest thriller.
Five years ago, undercover detective Martin Schwartz lost his wife and son to such a disappearance on
Anna
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Sebastian Fitzek and I will be looking for more by this author. Very good thriller with clever and surprising twists all the way to the very end (that moment when you think you have pretty much all the answers and there is still one hour of the recording left!).
I have been reading too many American thrillers recently and this book made me realise how many of them follow the same formulaic pattern. It is possible that German thrillers have their own repetitive formulae w
Katriina ❆
[Review to come soon]
Vika
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 | SO!!!GUT!!!
Alyssa
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's past 4AM right now, so I'm gonna write this after I get some proper sleep.

Among all of Fitzek's books (that I've read so far), this one is closer in essence to Noah than Die Therapie and the likes which deal more about the human psyche (and how it can screw you over). There's something very Fitzek about it, but the atmosphere is different, less... claustrophobic? (Although I guess there's something a bit claustrophobic about being stuck on a cruise ship...)

One thing I've always loved ab
Mars Dorian
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another compelling and page-turning thriller from Fitzek which I burned through in 24 hours.
It all takes place on a cruise ship where a bunch of diverse people (police officer, nurse, author, captain etc.) are mysteriously linked to each other, trying either to solve the case about a missing girl or trying to cover it up.

Since this is a German thriller book, I always expect realistic and serious crime setups, but Fitzek does the opposite: his books are ripe with Japanese anime-grade eccentrics w
Candelaria Rial
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book we follow Martin, a police’s psychologist, as he embarks on the Sultan of the seas, the cruise where her wife and son disappeared 5 years ago.
Martin swore to himself that he was never going to step foot on a cruise again.
A girl and her mother went missing on the cruise 8 weeks ago. When the girl appears with a teddy bear that Martin’s son used to carry everywhere he went, Martin recieves a call from a writer who is investigating strange theories for her new book and is asking for hi
Hannah Swinglehurst
Free audible download. Not my usual cup of tea but it was free and had an impressive cast. It’s more gruesome than my usual read. It’s a gripping story and kept me entertained throughout. There’s some good twists and turns. Fortunately I’ve never wanted to go on a cruise but if I had one booked this would certainly put me off! Sebastian Fitzek is skilled at building suspense. There are some far fetched moments but I didn’t really mind as they added to the story.
The long pauses for instrumental
Stuart McMillan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Audiobook)

A great audio adaption and one definitely worth installing on your device.

The self-destructive protagonist, Martin Schwartz, finds himself re-living the nightmare of his son and wife going overboard when a perpetual cruiser finds new evidence surrounding their disappearance years later.

Using his training as a police detective, Martin hunts down new clues and opens up a new mystery when one of the 23 people a year that go missing, presumed suicide, turns up alive and well on the cruise
Panchali Mukherjee
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This author was first suggested to me by my mother-in-law. She read this book while on a trans-Atlantic cruise. Since then I have listened to two audiobooks (dramas) by this author. I really liked Amok (Spiel), although in certain places it got a little too dark for me. However, with this book I am having a little more difficulty. I am on chapter 8 and it is getting a little hard to push through without feeling severely distressed.

I'm so glad I pushed through. This book is thrilling and captivat
Airaology
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I listened to the Audible version and what a ride it has been! Slowly the mystery unravels but more plot lines emerged and you feel helpless and lost and confused. It's not just a simple case of whodunnit it's a case of psychological whytheydunnit.

(view spoiler)
Sally Anders
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This is a book that is hard to put down. Mr. Fitzek knows his tools. Each chapter has surprising twists and ends with a cliffhanger. But at the same time it leaves the reader with a feeling of emptiness like going to a fastfood restaurant. The characters remain flat, so you cannot engage on an emotional basis with them. (view spoiler) That is why I g ...more
Hannah
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Enjoyed listening to this book, started listening as I have previously enjoyed The Child. It has a very similar and sinister feel and is well written. I would definitely read more of Sebastian Fitzek's novels, although I did find this one was slow in places and I would have enjoyed more character development, particularly for the protagonist, but also the side characters.
Very interesting setting though.
Robert Glenister is wonderful as a narrator and I also really enjoyed Max Beesley as Martin
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I am a BIG fan of audible books but a full cast production is not for me and in this case it did this book no favour. I honestly do not know why this format of an audio book exist at all but it does. And it is very annoying. The story here.... thin to start with ended up annoying me. Where is the story going? Basically nowhere but you are going to get annoyed with the ride. Is it only the audio production part that did not work? No, the story is paper thin. Pun intended and really not all that g ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Thriller fans: Readalong 30 april - 6 mei 56 30 May 06, 2018 11:39AM

• Auris
  • Auris - Die Frequenz des Todes
  • Eine blaßblaue Frauenschrift
  • Плачот на срната
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • Das Café am Rande der Welt
  • Тајната на Алексови
  • Offline - Du wolltest nicht erreichbar sein. Jetzt sitzt du in der Falle.
  • The Chemistry of Death (David Hunter, #1)
  • Blackout
  • Сопругата на детективот
  • Dear Child
  • Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)
  • The Shepherd (Shepherd #1)
  • Klbko zmijí
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • Zerschunden (Fred Abel #1)
  • Todesmärchen (Maarten S. Sneijder, #3)
Sebastian Fitzek was born in Berlin in 1971. After going to law school and being promoted to LL.D., he decided against a juridical profession for a creative occupation in the media. After the traineeship at a private radio station he switched to the competition as head of entertainment and became chief editor later on, thereafter becoming an independent executive consultant and format developer fo ...more