Start by marking “Sovereign Ground (Breaking Bonds, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sovereign Ground (Breaking Bonds, #1)

Sovereign Ground (Breaking Bonds, #1)

Ever since Health and Welfare dumped Sparrow at her half brother’s house, she’s lived in fear of her grandfather’s curse. When her sister-in-law decides to kick her out, Sparrow lies about her age and applies as busser in a strip club. After playing dress-up, the dancers nudge her onto stage.
The possibility of independence is fleeting. Within weeks, a stranger stabs one o
Published April 28th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sovereign Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sovereign Ground

Start your review of Sovereign Ground (Breaking Bonds, #1)
Lisa Hess
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Someone once said, “If we are willing to entertain another way of knowing the world, to contemplate and imagine that other point of view, we can gain a level of understanding that leads to empathy – that is, the ability to see the world from another perspective, perhaps even one that seems antagonistic to our own.”

Empathy – identifying with another, affection for another, suffering with them. The best stories take us to places that are completely foreign, and draw us in so well that those places
B.D. Riehl
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was beautifully written. Tasteful, but blunt and true to a horrific reality that exists in our world today. I was engaged from the first page and my life was put on hold for a couple of days so that I could follow Sparrow's story.
Hilarey Johnson wrote a beautiful story of God's love and His pursuit of His people. She has a powerful way with words, creating images that are vivid and real. I loved the book and can't wait for more.
Kimberly
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed everything about this book. The pacing was perfect and kept my interest the entire time. Surprisingly, I also felt like I could relate to the main character even though my life is not even remotely like hers. I loved that the story wasn't predictable. Looking forward to more from this author!

I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review.
Lydia Thomas
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: matters-of-faith
*This review contains a spoiler. I give an alert directly before the spoiler begins and immediately after it ends.

I give Sovereign Ground by Hilarey Johnson 4 out of 5 stars.

Desperate to get away from a bad home life and break free of a curse spoken over her as a baby by her grandfather, Sparrow takes the first job she can get: dancing in a club. As she goes deeper into the night life, she meets Hayden, a cop who invites her to church and even helps her find temporary shelter with a Christian fa
Becky Avella
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book pleasantly surprised me. I originally started reading Sovereign Ground because the author is a friend of mine, and I wanted to support her. It didn’t take long for me to be hooked far beyond just doing a friend a favor. I wasn’t prepared to be so impressed with her beautiful, detail rich writing style, or to be so swept up into Sparrow’s story. The setting and characters all felt very real. I couldn’t put it down and kept sneaking off to read whenever I could. It kept me awake until ve ...more
Lisa Phillips
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of editing this book, so yes - a copy was provided by the author. I was not required to write a review, but I would like to say that even though I don't usually like first person novels this one touched me.

The story is about Sparrow, a young woman with no hope who finds a future in a club where she dances. The story treads briefly into the perils of the sex industry. It also looks at "Christianity" and the Church, and asks the faith community, "How do we reach these women? How
Peggy Goodman
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book does a superb job of describing how a lost soul comes to understand Christianity—not in a flash of blinding light, but gradually, with questions, setbacks and frustration. It also deals with a major question: Christianity is a nice concept, but is it going to pay the bills?

I like the protagonist's sense of humor. And although I thought that a major issue was resolved in almost a throwaway line, that was a very minor flaw. I really can't wait to read more by this author,and I hope we me
Jessica Howie
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book!! I loved it! Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I really stayed up till 4 in the morning reading it, a couple different times because I didn't want to stop. Definitely intriguing, and VERY well written. It was a very realistic world view. Realistic fiction. I like that because she really knew what she was writing about. I did receive this book for free, in exchange for my honest review. I would highly recommend this book to any one, and I already know what I'm g ...more
Nickalli
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author but my opinions are my own. I really enjoyed this book, the writing is descriptive without being overly done. The characters seem real and not contrived. It wrapped up a little too quickly, but it is probably that I just wasn't ready for it to end. I'd love a sequel!
Donna
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart wrenching yet beautiful story about Sparrow a young Indian woman who has lost her way and the path she travels to find her way back home. This story is about the trials and tribulations of a lost soul making her way back to God. A story about human frailty and God's love. Not only was this a great story but author Hilarey Johnson keeps you guessing as to what is real and what is imagined.
Terri
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hilary penned a totally unique book in Sovereign Identity. She presented a very real picture of a gritty lifestyle without straying into the vulgar. Great writing! If you're looking for a Christian fiction book that is slightly different, edgier, then this is the book for you.
Bekah Lynn
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved how real it seemed, how this really could happen to someone, I love how it's written, and how it's so suspenseful and you could never guess the ending, I couldn't put it down. The ending is absolutely amazing and I love the theme, everything is not as it first seems
Courtney
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was surprised by how well this book was written. It had so many components, and they all worked together in a wonderful way.
The story was so real, nothing about Sparrow's story was romanticized, and all the characters were genuine.
Erin
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a stunning book that I highly recommend. The writing is raw, real, and gripping. The story arcs well, and I found myself fully invested in the emotion and fate of the main character. I'm impressed with this writer's ability and will be looking for her next book.
Lauren Beauchamp
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Beautiful story! So realistic and moving.
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Eye is on the Sparrow

When I began this book I had forgotten it was a Christian book because of the setting and storyline. But as I went it became clear that this book provides the plan of salvation while hitting on a tough subject. I continued to read and it started playing out in front of me. A great read and interested to read more from this author.
Allyson Anthony
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some friends recommended Sovereign Ground to me. It's about a young woman Sparrow who is caught up in the sex industry but finds freedom at the end of her journey. Hilarey Johnson incorporates elements of spiritual warfare in this story.
Frances Winslow
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All of my Christian friends
I could not believe it when I read that this is Hilarey Johnson's first novel.

It's not like any other Christian Fiction that I have read. It's true that it deals with what most of us might consider a pretty sordid side of life. While there is enough detail, the details are not gratuitous nor graphic.

A young 17(almost 18) young woman of Native American background living in a trailer with her brother and his wife on a reservation in Nevada. Her brother was not much help since he was an alcoholic.
Mary Bello
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Great book, well written, fast read. Enjoyed the suspense and the characters. I would love to read more books like this. Thank you for allowing me the chance to read your work before it went on sale, in exchange for this honest review. Mary Bello
Stephanie
Dec 14, 2017
Heather
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Final Stand (Northwest Counter-Terrorism Taskforce #5)
  • Colorado Manhunt
  • Waiting For You (The Spencer Family #1)
  • Fourth Day (Northwest Counter-Terrorism Taskforce #4)
  • A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)
  • Charming the Troublemaker (Mitchell's Crossroads, #2)
  • Rains of Remorse (Lantern Beach Romantic Suspense #5)
  • A Twist of Faith (Mitchell's Crossroads #1)
  • All is Bright (Christmas Lights Collection Book 4)
  • Covert Christmas Twin: Faith in the Face of Crime (Twins Separated at Birth)

News & Interviews