Start by marking “Children Learn What They Live Parenting To Inspire Values” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Children Learn What Th...

Dorothy Law Nolte

Children Learn What They Live Parenting To Inspire Values

Since its publication in 1954, Dorothy Law Nolte's inspirational and educational poem, Children Learn What They Live has been published worldwide, translated into 10 languages, taught in parenting and teaching courses, distributed in doctors offices, and printed on posters and calendars. In Children Learn What They Live: Parenting to Inspire Values, authors Nolte, a ...more
Published (first published 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about Children Learn What They Live Parenting To Inspire Values

Start your review of Children Learn What They Live Parenting To Inspire Values
Nikkilee
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Parent.
Recommended to Nikkilee by: my mom
Children Learn What They Live
By Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they
Julie
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and reinforcing of what I know to be true, makes me feel more confidant that I am a good mother. Provide the best example that you possibly can for your children and then let them be themselves and trust in that.
Kara Larson
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, parenting
I thought this book was extremely practical not just in the various acts of parenting described but also in specific ways to implement the principles including suggested wording. Not written with a Christian worldview, so read with discernment, but so many biblical principles here that a Christian parent could easily support these concepts with scripture.

“Children are continuously learning from their parents. Your children are paying attention to you. Perhaps not what you tell them to do, but
Lacey Louwagie
A pretty basic primer on the philosophy of "positive parenting," with lots of anecdotes (fictional or true? unclear) about how to do things "right" and a few examples of how to do things "wrong." More an inspirational tome than concrete guidance, with very little evidence or research to back up the assertions. Not much new for someone already on board with the parenting style advocated here, but it's an easy, accessible read, and I'm not going to dis anything too bad that helps people be more ...more
Victoria
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book was given as a gift for the birth of my first child, and I found it was very grounding, and not preachy and very motivating as a new parent. As a teacher I also see how the advice in these pages can be translated to my classroom.

A great book for parents, and for anyone who works with or around children of all ages!
Jared Pangier
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on Dorothy Law Nolte's poem of the same name, Children Learn What They Live expands each couplet into a magical recipe for future generations.

A book written for parents and equally inspirational for passionate educators, Nolte reminds us all of the power of influence and the need to lead by example. This book of not-so-common common sense urges parents to raise their kids with positivity, praise, truthfulness, and friendliness--creating an environment of trust and a world of difference in
Megan Close Zavala
What a beautiful book! I stumbled upon this (serendipitously) at a library book sale and finally started reading it last month. This is the best parenting book I’ve read so far. The author has such a kind, comforting voice, free of judgment and full of wisdom. Each chapter is simple and yet profound, and she does a great job breaking down things into manageable steps, empowering you and making you feel as if you too could be an amazing parent. I am sad the book ended; I’ll miss her encouragement ...more
Guilherme
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's kind of obvious and nothing super original. But even then, it's such a beautiful read that lives up to the original poem. The kind of book that serves as an excellent reminder of what kind of parent you want to be. Very nice read.
James Lankford
Great book for giving your children roots and wings to prepare them for when they grow up and set sail on their own. I wish I had read this a long time ago!
Miki Saiki
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Workman publishing : New York
Auther: Dorothy Law Nolte

7words: inspiring value children parents relationship growth hospitality

5hours

What's good about this book?
Of course I haven't had kids yet and havent even thought of it, but this book tells me how to treat students who cannot perform well.
We often meet some students who do something wrong or make mistakes.
This book teaches readers not only the way to raise children but also the way to treat complicated students' feeling.
Moreover, we learn how
Melania Danciu
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that reminds you the values you already know, with examples and explanations. I am sure it is a book which I will read from time to time just to remind me that I need to be calm, think positively and learn to repeat several times till the action will become a routine.

And here are the 10 Things that I learned from it: http://readlearnlovedo.tumblr.com/pos...
Maya Kenova
The book provides valuable tips on how to approach different situations most parents (even teachers) face with regards to kids. It features short examples, as case studies, that help the reader understand the validity of the arguments. This book is recommended for parents, but also teachers of all age levels.
Doug Muterspaugh
This book really helps you to understand how your actions can affect your child. After reading this book, dealing with children's issues is much less stressful and your results are visible (and closer to your desired results!). Thank you for a really nice book that you can read over and over during your entire life. A must have for every parent.
Michelle Cynthia
While the ideas are pretty much common sense, the book holds excellent reminders and plenty of specific examples. It was a quick read and a worthwhile reminder to be very cognizant of my actions and words around and towards the kids.
Michelle Savage
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is highly recommended for all new parents to help inspire values in children, and understanding the negative effects that inappropriate parenting will have on a child long-term. A must read!
Lorrie
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good. This is a book I read when the kiddos were very young. However, it still applies to the present. As social creatures, we are subject to change as do our ideas and perceptions which evolve from our experiences and willingness to adapt to those changes.
Stella
Jan 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book on child development.
Tara
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Another great resource for every day parenting. This has all kinds of excellent advice for raising a child in a loving way. Again, every mother should read this! (Thank you, Emily.)
Ashley
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book!
Echo
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was expecting my first child and I love the message.
Marcia
Apr 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent to read before we make any more mistakes raising our kiddies!
Alyn
Feb 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
great parenting advice
Lala
Apr 14, 2009 marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
WOULD REALLY LOVE TO HAVE THIS BOOK!!
Rudene
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This is a beautiful book that I used many of times just to keep myself on the right track and to raise our children happy.
Akbar Rahman
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The general message makes sense, but some of the examples used are dated.
Richard Kravitz
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, as I recall
Sachie
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a mother of a daughter, I found this book very persuasive.
I would read it again sometime later.
Don Gubler
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent recommendations of interacting with children. And really all people.
Misty Broqi
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much I bought it. Great for any parents out there that want the best for their kids.
Erin
Jan 11, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
A woman on the swim team I coach suggested this book. Now, if I only had children...

• Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk
  • The Schopenhauer Cure
  • تغريد في السعادة والتفاؤل والأمل
  • Nemesis (Miss Marple, #12)
  • The Art of Thinking Clearly
  • اكتشاف الذات: دليل التميز الشخصي
  • نهاية التاريخ مقدمة لدراسة بنية الفكر الصهيوني
  • الفلسفة المادية وتفكيك الإنسان
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • خلاصة الكلام في أركان الإسلام
  • الطرق الجامعة للقراءة النافعة
  • Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More
  • The Five Love Languages of Children
  • L'art de la Simplicité: How to Live More with Less
  • The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
  • Chicken Soup for the Single's Soul
“Bila seorang anak hidup dengan kritik,ia akan belajar menghukum.Bila seorang anak hidup dengan permusuhan, ia akan belajar kekerasan. Bila seorang anak hidup dengan olokan,ia belajar menjadi malu. Bila seorang anak hidup dengan rasa malu, ia belajar merasa bersalah. Bila seorang anak hidup dengan dorongan, ia belajar percaya diri. Bila seorang anak hidup dengan keadilan,ia belajar menjalankan keadilan. Bila seorang anak hidup dengan ketentraman, ia belajar tentang iman. Bila seorang anak hidup dengan dukungan,ia belajar menyukai dirinya sendiri. Bila seorang anak hidup dengan penerimaan dan persahabatan , ia belajar untuk mencintai dunia.” 24 likes
“If children live with criticism, They learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, They learn to fight.
If children live with ridicule, They learn to be shy.
If children live with shame, They learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, They learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, They learn to be patient.
If children live with praise, They learn to appreciate.
If children live with acceptance, They learn to love.
If children live with approval, They learn to like themselves.
If children live with honesty, They learn truthfulness.
If children live with security, They learn to have faith in themselves and others.
If children live with friendliness, They learn the world is a nice place in which to live.”
0 likes