Start by marking “On the Edge of Gone” as Want to Read:
On the Edge of Gone

On the Edge of Gone

January 29, 2035.

That’s the day the comet is scheduled to hit—the big one. Denise and her mother and sister, Iris, have been assigned to a temporary shelter near their hometown of Amsterdam to wait out the blast, but Iris is nowhere to be found, and at the rate Denise’s drug-addicted mother is going, they’ll never reach the shelter in time.

Then a last-minute encounter
Published March 8th 2016 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge of Gone, please sign up.
Verity Ritchie The main character's sister is both transgender and bisexual.
Kate At the time the book takes place Denise is 16 and Iris is 19. Denise talks about a childhood memory in which she herself is 7 and Iris is 9, so the…moreAt the time the book takes place Denise is 16 and Iris is 19. Denise talks about a childhood memory in which she herself is 7 and Iris is 9, so the age difference is somewhere between 2 and 3 years.(less)
The Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWhen Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya MenonShadowshaper by Daniel José OlderThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe V Girl by Mya Robarts
Diversity Bingo 2017
721 books — 385 voters
YA Novels of 2016
1,124 books — 9,697 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of On the Edge of Gone
Emily May
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, arc, 2016, sci-fi
“The first time my future vanished was July 19, 2034."

On the Edge of Gone does a lot of really great things and, for the first 25%, I thought it was going to be a new favourite. Perhaps I expected all the wrong things from it, and maybe this review will prevent others from doing the same.

Let's start with all the positive stuff. Duyvis opens with a writing style that draws you in. Her narrator - an autistic, mixed race, Dutch girl - has an immediately sympathetic and likable narrative voice.
Corinne
Apr 28, 2014 marked it as novels-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: poc-mcs, disabled-mcs
Some quick details people have been curious about:

Yes, the whole thing is set in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Nothing like destroying your hometown in a book.

Yes, there's a generation ship, but no, the book is not set in space. The generation ship is still firmly planted on Earth, getting ready to leave.

No, it's not a dystopian. The government is no more or less dodgy than it is right now, and the book is set only eighteen years into the future.

Whether it's post-apocalyptic depends on your
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
A comet is going to hit Earth and Denise, her mom and her sister have to survive.

Denise is autistic and I feel sorry for her to have to go through the world possibly ending. But let me tell you, Denise is smart as a whip and figures so many things out and she is freaking awesome. She saves people, she figures things out to save more people. She is smart as a whip!

Denise's mom is a drug addict which sucks, especially right now. They are supposed to get to a temporary shelter that's supposed to
carol.
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of YA coming-of-age
Most apocalypse writers know that the readers who enjoy the end-of-the-world are looking for stories about survival, either individual or communal. On the Edge of Gone sidesteps this and focuses on Denise and her mom trying to get accepted on a 'generation' ship, which will offer the opportunity to escape the meteor-wrought destruction on Earth. It's an intriguing premise, but in this case, the apocalypse is a backdrop more than an integrated setting.

One of the issues for me could be that the
Elizabeth
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fast paced, well-written and kept me gripped to the end whilst making me ask some very pointed questions about the value of life. Opening minutes before the big comet hits, this book makes you a very different look at the apocalypse and what it means to survive.

In fact, my overwhelming sense of this book was that it asks you to think beyond the binary of so many disaster stories.

There is no tale of pre-disaster panic and preparation, but nor is it the story of survival in a post-apocalyptic
Justine
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
The Earth is about to be hit by a comet, which will drastically change the face of the planet. A few lucky people secure places in permanent shelters or on generation ships headed away from the devastation. For most people, like autistic Denise and her drug addicted mother, the best they can hope for is a temporary shelter during the impact and for a few days following.

But Denise her mother don't even make it as far as their temporary shelter on time. They are delayed, first because they are
Lindsay
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's a comet coming. The end of the world is here. So when you're an autistic half-Dutch half-Surinamese girl in a country that averages metres below sea level, and you're mother is a drug addict, things aren't exactly looking up.

In this version of 2035 there are spaceships and artificial gravity and a lot of people have already fled the Earth on hastily built generation-ships. So when Denise and her mother, on their way to an impact shelter, come across the last generation ship that hasn't
Robyn
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This one is just a beautiful character study, full of hope and heartbreak amidst chaos.
Kaitlin
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-2016
**This book was sent to me for review by Abrams, the publisher, but that in no way affects my opinions**

I was happy to accept this when asked to review it as I have recently been reading and enjoying a lot of YA sci-fi and this was no exception to that rule. This book is set at the start of the end of the world in a highly advanced society, but one which is doomed. We follow the character of Denise and her family (her mother and the search for her sister) over the course of the book. Whilst the
Intisar Khanani
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The blurb gives you the essence of the story: this is a survival story that essentially begins as the comet hits and continues for the next two weeks. The big question is whether Denise and her family will make it on the last generation ship left in Amsterdam (and possibly the world). That remains the question for the book–so if you’re looking for interstellar travel or space pirates or anything of the sort, a quick expectations adjustment will give you a much more enjoyable read. This isn’t an ...more
Katie
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-voices, 2016
I received a copy from the publisher Abrams & Chronicle in exchange for an honest review

On the Edge of Gone is an #ownvoices novel set in Amsterdam telling the story of Denise, a young girl with autism, her mother who is a drug addict and her sister who has failed to return home on the day a comet strikes the earth setting off the apocalypse. Denise and her mother end up sheltering on a generation ship, The Nassau, which had been unable to take off due to technical difficulties during the
K.
I've been meaning to read this book for aaaaaaaaaaages, and so when Diverseathon rolled around for the second time, it seemed like the perfect time to pick this one up.

It's a sci-fi/dystopian YA book in which a comet is about to strike the earth. The main character, Denise, is autistic and biracial, which YES OMG YES. I mean, a character who is a) autistic, b) female and c) biracial? So, like, basically the group LEAST likely to be diagnosed as autistic because doctors are far more likely to
Tasha

Loved the main character and seeing her handling all these different situations in her own way. But the story itself and the writing/pacing just weren't for me. (Might've also been the reading slump I was in...)
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
It was really slow at times but overall I enjoyed it. Denise's narrative voice is really compelling, and the ending definitely left me impacted. An interesting look into a world post-apocalypse, with a biracial black autistic girl, and tons of casual diversity? I definitely do recommend despite the slow pace.
autumn
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to autumn by: ellis
!!!! excellent!!! a really beautiful story about humanity & hope at the end of the world

representation: the main character is black & autistic, her sister is black & trans, there are jewish + muslim side characters
Alyssa
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Five Things About On the Edge of Gone

ON THE EDGE OF GONE reminded me of all the things I enjoy about the sci-fi genre. I have a weird interest in end of the world books because something like this could definitely happen someday in reality. Above all, I liked how the situation of the world ending naturally progressed and how we were there almost every step of the way, trying to survive right along with the rest of humanity. Overall, this was a really great read.

It has diversity without
Dahlia
That was super good, and a great example of how diversity makes a book stronger: being autistic means Denise has loaded fears about whether she'll be able to earn her space on the generation ship that would save her life; her sister being trans and therefore unable to procreate means the same. They add hugely to the plot without being the plot, which is something it's really nice to be able to actively expect now from a Corinne Duyvis novel.
Laura Lam
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
On the Edge of Gone starts with a comet about to hit Earth at any moment, and follows the after effects of an immediate apocalypse: no internet or reliable communication, flooding, dust potentially dimming the sun's rays for a year, food running out. Some people have already abandoned earth, others are about to, and some are stuck on the Earth's surface and have to hope for the best. Set in Amsterdam, Denise is an autistic, half-Surinamese girl trying to hold it together as her world turns ...more
Brianne Reeves
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I want everyone to read this. Full video review (and giveaway running 3/8-3/15/16) available at https://t.co/Q9UiqxrVEL.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
This was such a fascinating, well written piece of science fiction that offered a unique perspective on a terrifying future where humanity would have to make some difficult moral choices. The author explored how people might be selected to survive the end of the world, highlighting the moral issues that would possibly arise, given societal values. Avoiding the usual tropes and romances, this is kind of young adult novel that could actually appeal to a wider adult audience. I thought
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I'm disappointed that I have to dnf this book, particularly since I had been looking forward to reading this, but unfortunately I just couldn't continue. There's nothing wrong with the book per se - this book is one that takes it times with the details and has a slow pace - one much slower than I had anticipated.

- The book is about a biracial and autistic teen who, following the apocalypse, sets out to look for her sister.
- This book, however, is not an adventure book (as far as I got; I got to
Lauren
Diving into this book was a bit scary for me because it was given to me by the author herself, and what if I didn’t love it? Luckily for both of us, I did love it, and I’m very glad to have a signed, personalized, inside joke-ified copy on my shelves.

Not only is the main character biracial, which you don’t see much in YA, but she’s also autistic. (!!!) This is already exceptionally diverse, and I haven’t even gotten started on the side characters. It’s amazing that there’s a book out there that
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
On the Edge of Gone broke me apart. Every other chapter I was either clutching my chest or short of breath. It doesn't have action on its entirety like fight scenes - but it has this fundamental and OMFG moments that left me feeling really nervous. It has running-for-your-life, can't-believe-this-is-happening scenes that took years out of my life. Corinne Duyvis you made my last three days reading this book amazing.

There is not a lot of YA books that have an autistic main character. Add that
Ava Jae
So, so good. I know this is a standalone, but I wish there was a sequel coming because I'd totally read it. Full review to come.

REVIEW:

I love YA Sci-Fi, and On the Edge of Gone was soooo different from any other YA Sci-Fi I've read and it was awesome. Usually apocalyptic-type books are post-apocalyptic, but On the Edge of Gone starts right before a massive comet strikes Earth and obliterates everything, then continues on in the days afterward and people try to survive and Denise tries to get
Aoife
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5/4 stars

I received a free copy of this book from Abrams&Chronicle in exchange for an honest review.

On the Edge of Gone follows a teenage girl called Denise living in Amsterdam on the day a comet is due to hit Earth. Denise, her mother and her sister are due to go to a temporary shelter for safety but her mother is making them late, and her sister Iris is nowhere to be seen. Derbise and her mother end up on a generation ship - a ship scheduled to leave Earth in a number of days for
Helen
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tale is an enchanting take on a disaster/sci-fi movie. Earth is doomed, can humanity survive on a post-comet planet? Is there any other solution? An enormous generation ship is parked at the airport, undergoing essential repairs prior to lift off, but it isn't taking passengers. Our lead character is an autistic teen struggling to find her place in life, society, Earth and, dare she hope, space. Oh, and the poor cats!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
May 05, 2017 marked it as on-my-shelf
div17: mc with chronic pain
Melissa Chung
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. I'm giving it 4 stars because it was slow at times, some of the characters were all over the place and sometimes I felt there was something missing...an answer or a scene I felt needed to be filled out a bit more. This arc was an uncorrected proof so maybe the published book will be more fleshed out or maybe not. I'm not sure.

On to the review, On the Edge of Gone is about the end of the world after a comet hits the eastern part of Europe. Denise is a 16 year old dark
Paul
On the Edge of Gone is one of the best YA science fiction books I've ever read. On the Edge of Gone follows Denise and her mother as they are attempting to find shelter for an impending comet collision with Earth. When they are running late to the shelter they are assigned to, because they are waiting for Denise's sister Iris, they come in contact with a generation ship that is still on Earth. The generation ship's passenger list is completely full but Denise takes it upon herself to become ...more

• Wastelands 3: The New Apocalypse
  • Red Hood
  • Defying Doomsday
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 24: Disabled People Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Failure to Communicate (Xandri Corelel, #1)
  • The Undefeated
  • Testing Pandora (Xandri Corelel, #0)
  • Fataal spel
  • Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was
  • More to the Story
  • Monster, She Wrote: The Women Who Pioneered Horror and Speculative Fiction
  • Pantomime (Micah Grey, #1)
  • Foster's War
  • Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems
  • An Unkindness of Ghosts
  • Close Enough to Touch (Jackson Hole, #1)
  • A Handful of Spells
  • We've Been Too Patient: Voices from Radical Mental Health--Stories and Research Challenging the Biomedical Model
To prevent my Goodreads friends list from becoming unwieldy, I only accept friend requests from people I know.

* * *

A lifelong Amsterdammer, Corinne Duyvis spends her days writing speculative MG and YA novels. She enjoys brutal martial arts and gets her geek on whenever possible.

She also sleeps an inordinate amount.
“Whether someone is useful only matters if you value people by their use.” 11 likes
“I look at the sky and the dust that separates us from the stars that will be my home. I breathe in the night air, the rotten night air, and I miss,
I miss,