Start by marking “The Anglican Way: A Guidebook” as Want to Read:
The Anglican Way: A Guidebook

The Anglican Way: A Guidebook

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The Anglican Way is a guidebook for anyone interested in following Jesus as an Anglican Christian. Written for both the newcomer and the person who wants to go deeper, this book answers hundreds of questions about history, theology, worship, and more. Learn about this ancient but fast-growing branch of the Body of Christ. Let this guide help you as you walk the Anglican Wa ...more
Published April 4th 2014 by Colony Catherine, Inc. (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Anglican Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anglican Way

Emily
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For years I have yearned for the reverence and the liturgy missing from most Protestant churches. Living in an area heavily populated by Southern Baptists, learning how to incorporate this into one’s worship of God is hard to do. This book has solved that problem to some degree. While “a guidebook,” as it’s labeled, certainly cannot replace a community of believers that worship in the same way, it has served to alter how I look at my relationship with God and my treatment of that relationship.
T
Chris Lee
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
This book is incredibly good. I'm normally the world's slowest reader but I burnt through this in... *checks Goodreads*... sixteen days. Thomas McKenzie writes in an incredibly clear and readable manner. And for me, a newcomer to Anglicanism, the content was just so insightful and interesting.

My favorite part of the book was the first section, in which McKenzie explains Anglicanism as encompassing many different facets of Christianity—all godly and good but limited when held in isolation—using t
Kristi
I would probably really be giving this book 4.5 stars, but I'll round up. I rank it highly because it really impacted me. The book first tackled what is meant by the "Way" of Anglicanism and then dives into Anglican distinctives and philosophy. He uses a compass rose image to show how Anglicans are found on a spectrum of beliefs, but all can be characterized as evangelical, catholic, orthodox, charismatic, activist, contemplative, conservative, and liberal. The tension or seeming contradiction i ...more
Greg
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anglicanism
My review at Anglicanpastor.com:

The Anglican Way by Thomas McKenzie is an overview of Anglican spirituality, worship, devotion, theology, and practice. Fr Thomas is the first pastor of Church of the Redeemer, Nashville.

In the name of full disclosure, Thomas writes with me at AnglicanPastor.com, and is a friend. He asked me to read the original manuscript version, and we had several conversations about this project as it was in progress. So this will be a friendly review, but I’ve left nothing ou
Nick McRae
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to Anglican practice. The author takes a somewhat hostile view of The Episcopal Church and other “liberal” traditions, but acknowledges the bias and isn’t abusive, just insistent on his correctness in the matter. A good read even for liberal Anglicans, as long as they have a thick skin. Well done, Fr. Thomas.
Brooke
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super informative. Approachable and digestible for me -- I am not Anglican & was raised in the Southern Baptist and Presbyterian churches.
Dean P.
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anglican
A fantastic introductory overview to the Anglican tradition. McKenzie, an Anglican priest, works hard to cover the bases while not seeking to be comprehensive on every subject. He also widely admits when he doesn't fully know, especially when he is speaking about other traditions.

He also does a good job of not selling the "my way or the highway" approach. Rather than try to convince the reader that Anglicanism is the right and supreme tradition, McKenzie wisely handles the questions and allows f
Adam Shields
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short Review: This is intended to be an introduction to Anglicanism for new converts, but also would make a good discussion book for an adult eduction class. Because it is newly written, it feels fresh and recent, while communicating the weight of the tradition and the importance of Anglican distinctives. I have read other similar books for other Christian traditions and few of them are able to communicate their own tradition without condemning other traditions, but this one is gracious, pointin ...more
Matthew
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting overall but concerning regarding author bias

An interesting book as someone that has come to the Anglican church in the last couple of years. I would like to be able to recommend this book.
However, in certain areas it does not describe the Anglican church I know. For example, in reference to Bishop Gene Robinson. This isn't surprising considering the author is part of the Anglican Church of North America (which is not a member of the worldwide Anglican Communion). What I find odd is
Jonathan Aman
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not Anglican, but I've been attending an Anglican church for a while and knew next to nothing about Anglicanism. All of my church experience is in the Baptist denomination, and I thought I'd get to know some more about my church's background. I have to say this was a fascinating read. It would be easy for an author to present this content in a purely academic manner, but McKenzie didn't settle for that. Thank God! His sense of humor and genuine spirituality show through, and I enjoyed sittin ...more
Melissa Travis
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully accessible yet detailed guide to the Anglican Church. McKenzie does an excellent job of helping the reader to understand the theological richness and holistic Christian spirituality that the Anglican way offers. I appreciated his very ecumenical attitude. The timelines and reference sections were helpful bonuses. Highly recommended!!
Joseph
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reasonably thorough overview of the Anglican distinctives, highlighting the flexibility within its boundaries. It's honest - but gracious- about those churches and leaders who are still labeled Anglican or Episcopal, but have clearly departed the faith. This seems like a great intro to the denomination that answers many typical questions.
Jacob Davis
An informative, readable, and much-needed one-stop primer on Anglican tradition and practice, The Anglican Way is an indispensable resource for anyone interested in learning more about this "way" of being Christian.
Ryan
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction. As an Anglican Priest, I will certainly be recommending this book to people interested in, or beginning to follow Jesus in "the Anglican way."
Elise Ames
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful overview of Anglicanism and the cornerstone of my study on the subject.
Jonathan Huggins
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first book I'd give to anyone interested in Anglicanism. Read it and rejoice.
Abra Carnahan
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read the first 10 chapters before deciding the book wasn't worth finishing. I have attended two Anglican churches that I really, really loved. The service, the sermons, the songs, the people -- they all blessed me deeply. But I had a couple of problems with this book.

First, a minor problem, but the author's voice really bothered me. I found him condescending.

Second, I felt as though I were being sold something instead of being presented facts. In part, this was due to negative anecdotes abou
Phillip
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in becoming Anglican, or simply want to understand the beliefs of Anglicans better (which is the 3rd largest Christian denominational affiliation in the world), this is a great go-to book! It's an excellent summary of the Anglican approach to the Christian faith. It's very readable and arranged by topic, which makes it an excellent resource. It even has a handy glossary of terms in the back.

One of the most helpful chapters for me was a description of a typical Anglican wors
Jonathan Green
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Succinct yet informative

Not being overly familiar with the actual practices and traditions of the Anglican Church, I found this brief yet thoroughgoing book to be just what I needed for my continuing investigation of the Canterbury Trail.
Michael Nichols
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A cursory, concise overview of Anglicanism. I’m an intrigued outsider, and this provided some helpful insight. The brief overviews on the theology and the denominational polity of Anglicans were the most helpful.
Chet Duke
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a helpful introduction to basic tenets of Anglican theology, church history, and practices. The author is affiliated with the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA), and he explains the distinctive features of the ACNA, the Episcopal Church, and other provinces.
Kenneth
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent overview of Anglican Christianity in all its variety, for anybody new to it or a long time member who wants a review. Written by a priest of the Anglican Church of North America (ACNA), currently serving a church in Nashville, TN.
Stephanie
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As someone coming from the strongly evangelical, low-church environment of the Southern Baptist Convention to a parish in the ACNA, I found this book incredibly helpful for understanding the whys and hows of Anglicanism. This book is a great overview of the history of Anglicanism; of its practices, traditions, and beliefs; of its structure and organization of leadership; and of current issues within the Anglican world. It is a helpful book for understanding the reasoning behind things that were ...more
Hunter
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent gude to the Anglican Church by a Rector from Nashville, TN. Not intended to be an academic work, McKenzie explains many of the practices of the Anglican Way that would be puzzling to a modern person unfamiliar with this branch of the Christian Faith. Not picking sides on the issues facing the orthodox Anglican Communion, like women's ordination, etc., McKenzie is fair to both Anglo-Catholics and Evangelical Anglicans and everyone in between.
Charise D.
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book answered nearly all of my questions about the Anglican way of being a Christian. Thomas McKenzie is able to explain matters simply without talking down to the reader. I thought this book would be merely informative, but it encouraged me in my faith. He did not dwell long on the problems in the contemporary Anglican church, and though it's possible to detect his opinion on many of the issues, I believe his treatment is fair. A very good book that is both enjoyable and educational.
Jared Tremper
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid coverage of Anglicanism for the uninitiated

Accessible yet thorough, this book answers many questions and explores the wide array of beliefs and practices in this global church. It paves the way for assimilation whilst avoiding a sense of arrogance that Anglicanism is the purest form of the church today (as none truly are). Very helpful for those curious or considering Anglicanism.
Thomas Achord
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Extremely accessible and readable. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in an Anglican 101. My only complaint is that I was looking for something more in depth. Perhaps it would be better for someone who is already Anglican, and lay person, and who wishes further to understand their practices. An outsider looking for substantial reasons for Anglicanism would do better to look elsewhere.
Dwight Davis
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly helpful book explaining the basics of Anglican theology and practice. I'm so thankful that Fr. McKenzie has written an accessible book on Anglicanism. I would not hesitate to give this to parishioners seeking to understand our tradition a little bit better, and it could be very helpful to those outside of Anglicanism with questions as well. An outstanding resource.
Seraphim
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone curious about Anglicanism and/or the Episcopal Church
Pretty good introduction to Anglicanism and what it stands for. The only downside that I had was that I already had known a lot of this in advance, but that isn't the book's fault.

My reason for a missing star is mainly because I feel like it could've told a lot more about the history of Anglicanism and the origins of it than it did. It's a great book, but it wouldn't hurt to add more.
Paul M.
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book was an excellent guide on how Anglicans actively live out Christianity; however, despite the fact that the term Gospel is used frequently in the book, I don't feel like it was ever clearly defined. While the book is intended for Christians exploring Anglicanism, all of the tradition and the meaning behind it is nothing without a clear understanding of the Gospel it's meant to represent.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Evangelicals on the Canterbury Trail
  • Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy
  • Being Christian: Baptism, Bible, Eucharist, Prayer
  • Answering God: The Psalms as Tools for Prayer
  • When the Kings Come Marching In: Isaiah and the New Jerusalem
  • On Social Justice: St. Basil the Great
  • Creeds of the Churches: A Reader in Christian Doctrine from the Bible to the Present
  • The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin
  • 3 Crucial Questions about Spiritual Warfare
  • Living the Christian Year: Time to Inhabit the Story of God
  • Bonaventure: The Soul's Journey into God, the Tree of Life, the Life of St. Francis (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Happiness and Contemplation
  • Weakness Is the Way: Life with Christ Our Strength
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • Let Justice Roll Down
  • Against Calvinism
  • Art for God's Sake: A Call to Recover the Arts
  • The Christian Tradition 2: The Spirit of Eastern Christendom 600-1700
Thomas McKenzie lives in Nashville with his amazing wife and two terrific daughters. He was born and raised near Amarillo, Texas. His Bachelor's degree is from the University of Texas at Austin, and his Master's Degree in Divinity is from Trinity School for Ministry in Ambridge, Pennsylvania.

Thomas is a priest of the Anglican Church in North America and the Anglican Diocese of Pittsburgh. He's the
“Love is the most easily dismissed of God’s commandments and characteristics. Christians sometimes seem to say, “Of course we should love people, we all know that. So now let’s get on with what we really want to do—fight about theology!” But love is the central Christian ethic, it’s the heartbeat of the church. It’s central to us because it’s essential to God. “God is love,” says the Bible (1 John 4:8, NIV). At the core of the Trinity is a love relationship between three Persons. God cannot be separated from love. Love is his nature. Unless the church is actively living out the reality of love, there is little reason to debate theology. And unless the church has a healthy theology we won’t recognize true love when we see it.” 2 likes
“The evangelical Anglican preacher Charles Simeon said, “My endeavor is to bring out of the Scriptures what is true and not to trust in what I think might be there.” 1 likes