Start by marking “Mr. Darcy's Pledge: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (The Darcy Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mr. Darcy's Pledge: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (The Darcy Novels, #1)

Mr. Darcy's Pledge: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

(The Darcy Novels #1)

Torn between his heart and his mind… Mr. Darcy must make a choice.
Fitzwilliam Darcy has always been able to keep his emotions under control. That is, until he falls under the spell of Elizabeth Bennet and surprises himself by blurting out a proposal to her like a moonstruck youth. Stung to the quick by her rejection, his pride in tatters, and left with no possibility that
Published May 6th 2014 by White Soup Press (first published April 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Darcy's Pledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Darcy's Pledge

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
After being decidedly and soundly rejected in Kent, our poor, broody Mr. Darcy is feeling lost and depressed. His dreams for a happy marriage, contented life, and a future with Elizabeth Bennet are dashed and he knows he must regroup and move on. Darcy realizes that the best chance he has of getting over and forgetting about Elizabeth Bennet is to put all his energy and time into finding a suitable bride. A bride that he chooses with reason rather than affection, based on practicality rather tha ...more
Ceri
This review was first published at Leatherbound Reviews http://leatherboundreviews.blogspot.c...

I’d only read one book by Monica Fairview before this, Steampunk Darcy, which I really enjoyed, so I was very grateful to Leatherbound Reviews for the opportunity to try something more traditional by this author. Mr Darcy’s Pledge is a Pride and Prejudice variation, from Darcy’s perspective, beginning just after the Hunsford Proposal. Darcy is returning to Georgiana at Pemberley to lick his wounds and
Sophia
A handsome, wealthy and slightly arrogant man of the upper class proposes to a passionate, impoverished gentlewoman to whom he has fallen in love against all odds and gets the shock of his life when she turns down his assumptive proposal that reeks with confidence in his own superiority.

The disastrous proposal is the catalyst that sets Darcy on a different path- one of pain, humiliation, strong bitterness, but definitely determination. Never again will he let his heart lead him when it comes to
Sheila Majczan
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to be a copy-cat but actually 4.5 stars was my determination even prior to reading Meredith's review. I also had decided to wait for the publication of the second volume after reading in Austenesque Reviews that there were to be two, as I hate to wait. But when author Joy Dawn lent me the story who am I to complain? There are at least six very good reviews already posted with excellent relatings of the story line, etc.

I really liked reading about Darcy's list of traits he wants in a wife,
Sophie
I was very pleased when I was asked if I would review Mr Darcy's Pledge (Volume I) for the lovely Monica Fairview. (I was provided with a review copy but this is my honest, unbiased opinion.) And I was not disappointed as I really, really enjoyed this book and I cannot wait for the second volume to be published so I can see how this story is going to resolve! How I hate cliff hangers!

First off, this was another very well written variation. The writing style was excellent; it was easy reading, f
Anna
May 01, 2014 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Review originally posted on Diary of an Eccentric

Mr. Darcy’s Pledge, Volume 1 of The Darcy Novels, is a variation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice that caught my eye because it focuses on Mr. Darcy’s attempts to forget Elizabeth Bennet by setting out on a quest to find a wife. After she rejects his disastrous proposal at Hunsford, he returns to Pemberley never having presented Elizabeth with the letter that would have told her the truth about him and cleared up all the misunderstandings. Wit
Kendal
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Darcy's Pledge has to be one of my favorite pieces of Austenesque fiction that I've read. I read it just one day; I couldn't put it down. The story is set during the three months between Darcy's first proposal and when Lydie ran away with Wickham. Ms. Fairview takes us on a wonderful journey into Darcy's and his sister, Georgiana's life after he came under the spell of Elizabeth Bennet.

When the story begins, Darcy is completely beside himself trying to erase Elizabeth from his mind. He is im
Katherine
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Meredith's review gives us a great story synopsis. Darcy is heart broken after Kent and he decides to put all his energy into finding a suitable bride - not someone he will love like Elizabeth but someone equal in rank and position, a marriage in the ton. He starts making a list and it's amusing to see how it changes. I loved the emotional turmoil he goes through in the novel trying to get over Elizabeth. We find out in the midst of this turmoil that he never delivered the letter to Elizabeth ex ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
A good Pride and Prejudice variation makes me doubt that Darcy and Lizzy ever will get together.

This is Darcy's book. His is in agony here, he wants her, but she have just said no. So what should he do? Here he tries to find another wife and find out what he really wants, all while pining for her. Awww Darcy, you break my heart.

Darcy tries to see what makes a wife perfect, Georgiana gets some backbone, we meet the Bingleys again, there are wife candidates. And you need not worry, there is Lizzy!
Irene
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciated the first volume of this series! Even if I missed a little Elizabeth point of view it was interesting to see things through Darcy and Georgiana's eyes. I also really liked the way the author sees Caroline Bingley.
On the whole a pleasure to add this volume to my collection of Pride and Prejudice Variations.
Madenna U
This Pride and Prejudice story features Darcy's point of view as he laments over his experience with Elizabeth without any hope of getting her back. Luck is on his side and they meet at Pemberley, but he moves a bit to fast to get his hearts desire. Try as he might, he can not let her go.

Parts of the story were quite humerous or touching, but it felt dragged out to me.
Warmisunqu Austen
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reseñas

-------------------| Blog | Facebook | Twitter |-------------------

3.5 Austen

Empecé a leer esta historia y no tenía claro si era una variación, una ruta alternativa o un 'volver a contar'. Creo que una mezcla de los tres en este primer volumen, desde el punto de vista de Fitzwilliam, con toques de ciertas variaciones que se incorporan sin desviarse de los hechos de la historia original, partiendo del rechazo de Elizabeth, en Hunsford.

Hay un interesante recorrido de Darcy, sus impresiones y senti
Leslie
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
Revised 12/6/14:
Before reading the sequel to this book Mr. Darcy's Challenge; I realized I had to reread this one since I had no memory of it. I read my original review below and jumped right in; and boy was I sorry.

Mr. Darcy isn't endearing in this version he is irrational and impulsive and scary. He can't follow conversations as he is constantly fantasizing about Elizabeth Bennet. A psychiatrist would have a field day diagnosing him. He's depressed, manic and somewhat dangerous. There was a
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Monica Fairview is one of my favorite Austen Authors. Her novel, The Other Mr. Darcy, is my favorite Austen sequel and I’ve given it as a gift to a few different friends. I was very excited to be given the opportunity to review Monica Fairview’s newest book, Mr. Darcy’s Pledge.

Mr. Darcy’s Pledge is a Pride and Prejudice variation, not a sequel. In this variation, Mr. Darcy proposed to Elizabeth Bennet, but then withheld his letter of explanation from her and returned to Pemberley. While at Pembe
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JAFF, Romance
Shelves: favorites
This is the third time I am reading this book and my first review of it. I need to refresh my memory before re-reading Mr. Darcy's Challenge Volume 2 and the final book in the series which recently came out, Mr. Darcy's Pride and Joy Volume 3. It is still as delightfully engaging as ever. This is Darcy's tale from his point of view.

The story starts 3 months after Darcy's disastrous proposal at Hunsford. He is returning to Pemberley determined to find a wife and push all thoughts of the impertine
Marcie
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the past Monica Fairview has delighted readers with her continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. In her latest book, Mr. Darcy's Pledge, she gives her readers exactly what they want: more Mr. Darcy.

This book picks up right after Mr. Darcy's disastrous first proposal to Elizabeth Bennett. He returns downtrodden to Pemberley. There he makes up his mind that he must find a wife, and he must find her soon. Also his sister, Georgiana, is now a young women ready for her first season. She
Sara
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff
I enjoyed this series but there was too much angst for me. It should not take that long for ODC to get together and the obstacles kept feeling contrived. But, i enjoyed reading and wanted my happy ending so i kept going through all 3 books! It is well written and there is some romance in each book to keep you going. I didn't like that elizabeth does not appear until after half-way through book 1.
Jennifer Johnson
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Mr. Darcy’s Pledge earns five stars as the first of a two-book variation to Pride and Prejudice. It starts shortly after the infamous proposal scene, with one key difference: Darcy never gave Elizabeth the fateful letter that changed her opinion of him."

To read the full review, visit http://inspiredbyausten.com/book-revi...
Marijayne Stegman
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Interesting twist on the story, while the story keeps some of the actual P&P storyline, it is told mostly from Darcy's perspective with a bit of Georgiana mixed in. It twists up the original a bit but still very satisfying except that this is only the first volume. Felt so close to the end/climax only to get to the "to be continued..." line!
Noelle Walsh
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a very good variation on Pride & Prejudice. It was certainly interesting. This book, in my opinion, would be an excellent reading experience to enjoy along side Pride & Prejudice and on its own.

*won on Goodreads First Reads*
T
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
It’s relatively well written and much of the interactions & conversations are an interesting view of the time. However, it is too long, Darcy is still not taking Elizabeth’s feelings into account enough, and it’s basically just a prologue for the second book. It’s clearly been drawn out to make it into extra books - always a bad idea and harmful to story.

As the first half of a long book it would maybe be 2.5/3, but as a stand alone it’s 1.5 because it’s all lead up and no resolution.

Both b
Georgiana 1792
Mr. Darcy's List/L'elenco di Mr. Darcy

Delicata e scorrevole questa what-if novel che si legge tutta d'un fiato.
La storia inizia qualche mese dopo la prima disastrosa proposta di matrimonio di Darcy a Elizabeth in quel di Hunsford.
In questo caso, però, Darcy, pur avendo scritto la lettera per spiegare a Elizabeth le sue ragioni, non ha avuto il coraggio di esporre la sorella al biasimo per essere quasi fuggita con Wickham e non la consegna alla giovane di cui è innamorato.
Ora sa che deve supera
Carol Perrin
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Darcy's Pledge: A Mr. Darcy Novel ( The Darcy Novels )

Loved Monica's variation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. More time is given in this book to the tortured mind and soul after his ill faded marriage proposal at Hunsford. As he plays it over and over in his mind, he begins to pull out statements, words, thoughts that should not have been included in a proposal. Gnawing at him, he decides that he must write a list a characteristics this wife must have. His list starts with ideals that
pamela k cronister
Not a four star but close

I like the fact that this book is told from the standpoint of Darcy rather than Elizabeth. I would like to see a bit more humor.
Erin McDonnell-Jones
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book doesn’t follow the plot of the story as it happens and takes many variations from the actual plot line. I didn’t enjoy reading it and won’t be continuing the series.
Janet
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars...charming and entertaining

Volume I begins almost three months after the Hunsford proposal. Darcy is on his way to Pemberley to tell Georgiana of his plans. His decision has been made. It is time for him to find a bride for Pemberley. As he still has no idea who that bride will be, he knows who it will not be―Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

Dear Georgiana was concerned about her brother’s decision but knew she must not push. She could tell there was something wrong with William and she was going
Angela Withrow TheArdentReader
I found this retelling very intriguing. The story starts at the point after Mr. Darcy's ill fated proposal at Rosings.

Poor Mr. Darcy, all twisted and bent out of shape. His love for Elizabeth was so obvious. But her refusal, so heart wrenching! He must find a way to forget her. He must make a list of the qualities that Pemberley's mistress must possess. And there is Georgiana's come out to plan and he needs a wife or a lady to help him with that as well! He remembers his old friend, a neighbor
Helen
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Monica Fairview can always be guaranteed to write an entertaining tale! The book is an interesting twist on Pride and Prejudice as we see things from Darcy’s perspective. It explains his turmoil after Lizzy’s rejection and his determination to perhaps try and find a wife. However, he is torn in his love for Lizzy versus the expectation of his position in society.

Traditionalists beware! This is not a cold and distant Darcy … Fairview will leave a smile on your face with his eccentricities and li
Hui Ting
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first half of the book was a little draggy for me as it was more of his own struggle with having to get over Elizabeth and he was trying to make himself fall in love with another lady to forget her. There was less interaction with Elizabeth during that time although there were flashbacks to their interactions prior to the proposal which shows how impossible it is for him to forget her.

But, alas! Finally Elizabeth re-enters his life and that was when it was really hard to put down this book.
L Ramsey
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good read

I like Jane Austen fan fiction but many of them are very badly written, contain too many Americanisms such as "Fall" instead of Autumn and the use of the "visit with" about conversations with someone and I get irritated too much to enjoy them. This one is not of that ilk. I was not sure of the "bag of moonshine" but apart from that I enjoyed the read and think I only highlighted two passages that were questionable.....yes I really do edit as I go along.... The storyline and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Subsequent Proposal: A Tale of Pride, Prejudice & Persuasion
  • Bluebells in the Mourning
  • The Darcys of Derbyshire: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • A Noteworthy Courtship
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • Mr. Darcy's Promise
  • Mr. Darcy's Rival
  • Rainy Days - An Alternative Journey from Pride and Prejudice to Passion and Love
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy: An Honourable Man
  • Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)
  • The Companion of His Future Life
  • Consequences
  • The Secrets of Darcy and Elizabeth: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Monica Fairview is an ex-literature professor who abandoned teaching criticism about long gone authors who can’t defend themselves in order to write novels of her own. Monica can be described as a wanderer, opening her eyes to life in London and travelling ever since. She spent many years in the USA before coming back full circle to London, thus proving that the world is undeniably round.

Monica’s

The Darcy Novels (3 books)
  • Mr. Darcy's Challenge: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (The Darcy Novels, #2)
  • Mr. Darcy's Pride and Joy: A Pride and Prejudice Variation  (The Darcy Novels, #3)