Start by marking “Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)

Lords of the Sith

(Star Wars Disney Canon Novel)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  10,750 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews
"It appears things are as you suspected, Lord Vader. We are indeed hunted." Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight, is just a memory. Darth Vader, newly anointed Sith Lord, is ascendant. The Emperor's chosen apprentice has swiftly proven his loyalty to the dark side. Still, the history of the Sith Order is one of duplicity, betrayal, and acolytes violently usurping their Masters—an ...more
Published April 28th 2015 by Del Rey

·  10,750 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews

Alejandro
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alejandro by: Marcus Hutchens
The Dark Side of the Force is strong in this book!

This story is considered officially canon by Lucasfilms in the newly established canon

This story is set 5 years after the events of “Star Wars – Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

APEX PREDATORS

We are all of us, always being tested, my friend. Tests make us stronger, and strength is power, and power is the point. We must pass all the tests we face… Or die in the effort.

This is not a story about heroes...

This is a story about VILLAINS...

..., an
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon

"Vader completed his meditation and opened his eyes. His pale, flame savaged, face stared back at him form out of the reflective black transparisteel of his pressurised meditation chamber. Without the neural connection to his armour, he was conscious to the stumps of his legs, the ruins of his arms, the perpetual pain of his flesh. He welcomed it. Pain fed his hate, and hate fed his strength. Once, as a Jedi, he had meditated to find peace. Now he meditated to sharpen the edges of his anger."

Khurram
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. This is and action packed insight into the minds of most powerful end evil men in the Star Wars universe. The book is very action packed, but all the action is tempered by tactics and strategies. I like the way Kemp showed not just Darth Sidious and Darth Vader's power but their intelligence as well. Also I like the way the Emperor lets Vader do all the public fighting, but never lets Vader forget he is still the second more powerful and that he has much to learn. For Vader's par ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/09/08/a...

Probably the best Star Wars novel I’ve read in a while, and certainly one of the better Star Wars novels I’ve ever read, Lords of the Sith is a story centered on Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader. Defiant against the Imperial forces’ attempts to control their home planet of Ryloth, a group of Twi’leks led by Cham Syndulla the idealistic freedom fighter (and the father of Hera, of Star Wars Rebel fame) plot to bring the Emp
Jberz
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Out of the new books that have come out so far Lords of the Sith may have been my least favorite. That's not to say it's a terrible book by any means but many aspects of it simply fall flat.

7 things I didn't like:

1) The title and marketing of the book were quite misleading. Yes there are portions of the novel that deal with Vader and Palpatine but an enormous part if not the majority of the story focuses on the Free Ryloth movement. That would've been fine if the book had been marketed that way
Matthew
Apr 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-wars
Well, the fourth released "new" canon book is the first bad one. And, wow, is it bad.

Where do I begin? The characters talk no more than a sentence at a time, so none of them sound like real people. Any intriguing plot points are quickly forgotten (Iswal freeing slaves and Mors's past). Additionally, this is supposed to be a story about the start of the rebellion and the lords of the Sith. The Emperor acts completely out of character and wields his lightsaber like he's in the prequels. Vader and
Markus
The mediocrity is strong here.

Paul S. Kemp is a talented Star Wars writer. He's shown it before. He shows it here. Kemp is certainly no Zahn or Karpyshyn, but I have enjoyed his stories. This one was not bad either.

However, the story is completely uninteresting with nothing at stake. There are two sets of protagonists: on one hand, Darth Vader and the Emperor. Their characterisation is both interesting and well-done, but they obviously have plot armour. On the other hand, the local factions of t
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 stars, rounded down to 2 stars – I just wasn’t enamored with this one.

Lords of the Sith is the story of the Free Ryloth movement, led by The Clone Wars character Cham Syndulla (father to Hera from Rebels), and their assassination attempt against Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Senator Orn Free Taa, and Moff Delian Mors. The first stage of the plan, trapping the Imperials on the planet, is successful, but becomes much more compli
Sr3yas
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The past is a ghost that haunts us. Ghosts must be banished. Lingering on the past is weakness, Lord Vader"

Five years have passed since Order 66 and rise of the empire. Lord Vader's reputation is spreading across the galaxy. But emperor senses a disturbance in his young apprentice and decides to teach him a lesson.

They go for a hunt.

But contrary to usual dynamics, Vader and Emperor find themselves stranded and being hunted by brave freedom fighters of planet Ryloth with the help of a rogue
Terence
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-and-galleys
Twi'lek Freedom Fighters Cham Syndulla, Isval, and the Free Ryloth movement find themselves with an opportunity too rare to pass up on...the chance to kill The Emperor and Darth Vader. The leaders of the Empire are traveling together to Ryloth, the home of the Free Ryloth movement. Cham will use every resource he has to strike the head from the Empire and watch the body die so Ryloth can be free once more. The resistances ambush leaves The Emperor and Darth Vader stranded in the forests of the p ...more
Sud666
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
All right! What could be better than a book devoted to Darth Vader? A book devoted to Darth Vader AND Darth Sidious! Now apparently this book in in the "new" timeline. That's fine. Whatever issues I have with the world of the "new" universe is not present in this book. It is the Rogue One to the usual Force Awakens pap. This is how Sith Lords are done.

This focuses on the Free Ryloth movement that was referenced in the Clone Wars comics/cartoons. On Ryloth there is a terrorist organization that h
Michael O'Brien
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
An entertaining read. Very interesting see how the force is used by the Sith -- as well as its limitations. While powerful, it's still possible to get the best even of a Sith Lord with a cunning strategy and overwhelming numbers cleverly deployed. It has some situations in it that I would not recommend younger children encountering, but, for adolescents and older, I think this book is ok.
Stefan
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Paul S. Kemp is one of my favorite authors, his ability to draw me into a story is unparalleled. As the title and cover state, this book is about the Lords of the Sith, Palpatine and Vader.

I tend to romanticize Vader a bit in the sense that he is a fallen hero destined for redemption and the one to bring balance to the force, but Kemp reminds that that person is not here yet and regardless of our knowledge of Anakin/Vader's destiny, he is a villain.

There is a scene at the beginning of the book
Milo (BOK)
The Review Can Also Be Found Here: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c...

A LONG TIME AGO, IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY...
"Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight, is just a memory. Darth Vader, newly anointed Sith Lord, is ascendant. The Emperor’s chosen apprentice has swiftly proven his loyalty to the dark side. Still, the history of the Sith Order is one of duplicity, betrayal, and acolytes violently usurping their Masters―and the truest measure of Vader’s allegiance has yet to be taken. Until now.

On Ryl
Lady*M
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of all the new canon Star Wars books, I've read three (A New Dawn, Tarkin and this one) and it seems that I have to change my rating after each one. Out of these three, I enjoyed Tarkin the most, A New Dawn was fun but had its problems. Lords of the Sith was two different books at the same time - one when it was dealing with the resistance of Ryloth and one when dealing with Vader and the Emperor.

Cham Syndulla was a nice connection to The Clone Wars and Rebels both - he appeared in the forme
KevBayer
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Darth Vader? Scary awesome when he was younger.

I need more Star Wars fiction like this that features Vader in his prime: piloting the heck out his starfighter, using the Force to do crazy things without thought of failure, plowing through enemies with his lightsaber - you know, still doing the things Anakin Skywalker was doing during the Clone Wars, but blatantly evil.

I really enjoyed the introspection Vader had, the seeming omniscience Palpatine showed of Vader's thoughts, and Vader's respons
Hannah Heath
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars-canon
Well. That was pretty bad. Despite what the synopsis (and the title) says, this book is really not about Sith. It was more about the Free Ryloth movement, so I felt kind of tricked. False advertising. The writing wasn't very good and the story dragged. But at least I learned some interesting new things about the galaxy far, far away.
Michael
The first couple of chapters of Paul S. Kemp's Lords of the Sith reminded me of my childhood, playing in the yard with my Star Wars action figures. I could create a wide variety of scenarios and battles among the action figures, including making Darth Vader the baddest bad guy in all the universe.

The bookends of this one make Vader (and to a lesser extend Emperor Palpatine) just that. Set in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, this story establishes Vader as a complete and total bad-ass.
Geekritique
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Find this and many other reviews over at Geekritique!

The fourth novel in Star Wars' new canon timeline, as approved by the Lucasfilm Story Group, Lords of the Sith takes us to the planet Ryloth, home of the Twi'lek race. Taking place several years after the events of Revenge of the Sith, the Free Ryloth movement sees a group of freedom fighters take on the Galactic Empire. Led by Twi'lek Cham Syndulla, will this movement be enough to destroy Vader and the Emperor? Of course not, as we know from
Anja
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, books-i-own
This was good, up to star wars standards. I do prefer movies, but this was good too. Very action packed, interesting, educational in a way and fun. I really liked Cham and Isval, and of course my favorite villains - Darth Vader and Imperator. Would recommend!
Kerry
So far, this series has yet to be a reboot, it is merely just a reset. Second verse, same as the first. There are many good reviews already, here is one with a positive take ... Terence ... I would add my immediate observations. The plot is straight forward. The Twi'lek's of Ryloth have formed a rebellion, The Free Ryloth Movement. Their goal: assassinate the Lords of the Sith when they visit Ryloth.

I might have edited Lords of the Sith in a different manner. Kemp has an interesting chapter abou
Christian
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I liked his other books in the Fate of the Jedi series much more. Here, there is never a hint that Vader and the Emperor are tired or in any real danger. Given the period and the fact that we know they both make it, the story suffers because they seem so untouchable. Points also deducted for using the word "ichor" something like four times in a page and a half.
This has me worried for the future of Star Wars writing under Disney. I've read Timothy Zahn's books a couple of times al
Mariza
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darth Vader is just perfect in this book
Tom
Audiobook read by Jonathan Davis

Lords of the Sith is a decent entry in the Star Wars universe with a familiar setup but good execution. As this takes place before Episode IV, we know this story has many limitations that Kemp works within well. We get a good amount of action both in space and planet-side and a surprising amount of insight and introspection from Darth Vader along the way.

The beginning feels like so many others that have come before: random resistance/rebellion is causing trouble a
Darren
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Nailed it.

I've had a couple of rough starts with the "new" Star Wars (Disney) EU having slogged through Aftermath and Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company recently. That's not to say there haven't been some bright spots since Disney took over - or even Marvel for that matter (Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes) - as I've indicated on my reviews for A New Dawn, Star Wars: Tarkin, and Dark Disciple.

Mr. Kemp's work on Lords of the Sith, though, really took it over the top for me.

This was my fi
Casey Wheeler
I received a prerelease e-copy of this book through NetGalley (publication date April 28, 2015) with the expectation that I will post a review on their site and others (my blog, Goodreads, Facebook, Google +, LinkedIn, Twitter, Amazon, etc.).

I requested this book as I have read several in the Star Wars series with this being the first I have read by Paul Kemp. I will give you my opinions on this book without giving away the substance of the book. I hate it when reviewers do that and if I read th
David Monroe
Lords of the Sith is one of the first books in the new retconned Star Wars expanded novel universe. The older books are in-universe, but not necessarily 'cannon' any longer; these have been re-branded as "Legends".

Well, after the inexplicably mediocre and boring Heir to the Jedi
by the otherwise phenomenal, Kevin Hearne, this is a move in the right direction. Fun. Complex. Sweeping. Good character stuff, and great space opera. I hope that all the New EU books are this good, or better.

[Note: De
Mark Morabito
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
A unique entry into the Star Wars universe. No other book I've read gets as deeply inside Vader's head as this one. The story is smaller scale than your usual SW fare, no superweapons in this one. I wish that for a book centered around Vader we got to delve in deeper beyond the surface of Vader's thinking, lots of the emotional conflict he has can be assumed, so to me it was fun although not necessarily new.

It's definitely a terrific entry in the new canon, and reading Vader is enjoyab
Marc-Antoine
From the start, you know that Vader and the Emperor will live to fight another day, but it was great to see a younger ruthless Vader, and that both sides are not just as black and white, good and evil. Awesome addition to the Star Wars universe.
Shawn
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author does a great job of maintaining suspense even though we know, broadly, how the story must end. Vader and the Emperor battle against the Free Ryloth movement which is engaged in open rebellion against the Empire. Since this is years before the events of A New Hope, they and their Empire obviously survive. Yet, the author creates enough tension that you almost begin to believe that Cham and his allies might succeed.

One of the most fascinating aspect of this novel is Vader. There a lot
Star Wars Bookwor...: Lords of the Sith Chapters 15-18 25 80 Dec 30, 2016 04:19PM
Star Wars Book Club: June Recap 1 5 Jul 05, 2016 05:19AM
Star Wars Book Club: June's Book 1 8 Jun 06, 2016 05:15AM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Lords of the Sith Chapters 1-4 16 90 Feb 26, 2016 04:31PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Lords of the Sith Chapters 10-14 11 51 Jun 22, 2015 09:58AM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Lords of the Sith Chapters 5-9 13 47 Jun 21, 2015 07:52AM

• Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • Shadow Games (Star Wars)
  • Life Debt (Star Wars: Aftermath, #2)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 4: End of Games
  • Maul: Lockdown
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 1: The Last Padawan
Bestselling speculative fiction author, creator of Egil and Nix, Erevis Cale, drinker of scotch, smoker of cigars, amiable dude. :-)

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.5)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • A New Hope  (Star Wars: Novelizations, #4)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations, #5)
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
“A memory stabbed him, as sharp as a blade. He’d floated alone in an escape pod over Ryloth once, spinning high over its surface, after crashing a cruiser into a droid control ship. Another name bobbed up and broke the surface of the sea of memory. Ahsoka. He’d called her “Snips” sometimes. He pushed the errant recollection aside and focused on his task.” 10 likes
“She stared up at Vader, unafraid."I hate you and everything you stand for" she said."But when I murdered, I murdered out of love"

Vader raised his blade, his breathing loud and steady. When he spoke, his voice was as deep and hollow as a funeral gong.
"I know precisely what you mean" he said and slashed.”
7 likes