Start by marking “Love Among the Bookshelves” as Want to Read:
Love Among the Bookshelves

Love Among the Bookshelves

Many readers have grown up with Ruskin Bond’s stories. Now in an utterly delightful anthology, he introduces you to the stories he grew up with. Part memoir, part anthology, Love among the Bookshelves is a glimpse into Ruskin’s life through the books he has loved and an introduction to some forgotten classics.
Published April 2014 by Penguin Viking

To ask other readers questions about Love Among the Bookshelves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Among the Bookshelves

Start your review of Love Among the Bookshelves
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I totally love this one.
It's really mesmerizing.
He has written it really simple yet in a captivating style.

This book is about the reading journey of the author and it's so damn satisfying to read it! *How this book is different from other books about books:

The authors which I would have never known existed have been brought up except for the obvious popular ones that we are all familiar about; the books which are no longer in print; his days when he wrote his most popular, full length novel at a
Indrani Sen
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: india
A superb little book I picked up recently. Ruskin Bond talks about his love of books and a bit of his life. He discusses his favorite books and how they entertained, helped him during different periods of his life. Also there are five excerpts. There is a list at the end of his favorite authors and their favorite works.

I enjoyed the excerpts to a varying degree. It is really nice to read about the many books he mentions. I hope to read more than a few from his favorites list. It was great to be
Em*bedded-in-books*
here Ruskin Bond talks about the books he read in his formative years ... Which if not exactly shaped his character, at least influenced him some way or other . He strings along the memories of, and excerpts from his favourite books interspersed with personal anecdotes.

Enjoyed this book a lot, and found that we share quite a few favourite authors .
Through 3 or 4 star ish at places, on the whole it deserves five glorious stars
Khyati Gautam
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bookshelf is a place where an ardent book lover always finds solace. The towering shelves teeming with books attract us just like a flame attracts a moth. We are guilty of buying more than we read but in the end, it is the love of books that surpasses everything.

'Love Among the Bookshelves' by Ruskin is a beautiful compilation of his memories of his reading. It includes how he got into reading and gradually turned into a writer. The book traces his early days in India, then him going abroad, o
Neha
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
If you've ever wondered how it might feel to have an exemplary author sit you down in his/her favourite cushioned armchair, serve you a warm jar of peach tea, and talk to you about his/her literary beginnings and pursuits, then you must, without any trepidation or delay, read this book.

A quick Google search of Love among the Bookshelves will tell you that Ruskin Bond outlines his childhood memories of reading, and gradual transition to writing, and so on in the book. More importantly, though, B
Richa Bhattarai
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Just the friendly, cute, warm read I needed in the middle of a hectic week.

Like many others, I have a very special bond with Ruskin Bond’s books. I read and reread his collection of children’s stories and ghost stories.

In this collection of memoirs-book essays, Bond writes about books he’s loved, those that shaped his reading and writing. A pleasure to know his favorite is P. G. Wodehouse, too.

The style is simple, supple, lovable. It’s a homely smoothness to cover yourself in.

I found it stra
Ava
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I heard about this book a while back when my friend wrote a review of it on her blog, Anu Reviews.

I am always game for a Ruskin Bond books, and when he writes about books, it is like a double treat. Hence I ordered it stat from flipkart. They have a speedy delivery system and the book reached me before the week was over.

I slit the parcel at 1.30 noon, and started reading the book. It was such a captivating book, that I could not put it down. I was done with reading it before the afternoon fade
Anas Bashir
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Being an ardent Ruskin Bond fan, I bought this book with lot of anticipation and hope. But alas, my anticipation and hope came a cropper when I finished reading the book.

Okay, the author starts the book well and writes in his inimitable, simple style devoid of any embellishments. He mentions how he got initiated into reading books and how his loneliness helped him find solace in books. Mostly, the book is about his reading experiences in youth, but misses most part of his later life and how book
Arun Divakar
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Selling a book about an author talking about his or her favourite books and on the whole topic of reading is pretty much a piece of cake. While there have been moving, inspirational and splendid accounts that fall into this category there have also been duds. Ruskin Bond writes in simple yet evocative prose and I cherish his books for this and yet the ploy by Penguin to make a book out of a few scattered articles by him seems rather forced. So here is how the book is structured :

•Ruskin Bond wr
Isha
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
“If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book” – J.K. Rowling

For every bibliophile, there is a moment in life when they discover a book or a series of books that unlocks the magical world of stories for them that traverse reality and initiate them into the world of reading. For Ruskin Bond, ‘It wasn’t a bookshop, or a library, or a great-aunt’s hoard of romantic novels that made me a reader; it was the week I spent in a forest rest house, in what is now the Rajaji sanctuary, betwe
Raksha Bhat
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Only someone who considers literature as his religion can recollect and compile this kind of oeuvre. It was a delight to read about Ruskin Bond's early life and his reading experience, I now have a new list of authors to read. He talks about and shares excerpts from stories of his most cherished authors, reading them was as good as having a conversation with Bond about them. Words have a great virtue, a writer who writes them and weaves stories that get into books on the bookshelves indeed knows ...more
BJ
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Books with memories. After reading, I've made 'want to read' list ;)
Thank you Bond for the list.
Ash
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read about Ruskin Bond's love for books. He talks about how he got into reading and which authors influenced him the most. There is even a list of favorite books from his favorite authors. He even talks about his favorite authors in chapters dedicated to these authors and has included some excerpts from his favorite books. I think this book is a great place to get some English classics recommendations. I am definitely going to read some of his favorite books.
One interesting tidbi
Harsha Priolkar
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
My 4th book of the year. I literally breezed through this anecdotal biblio-memoir by one of India's best beloved authors Ruskin Bond. I must confess that I am in the small minority of Indian readers that haven't read Mr. Bond! This is a book I picked up because although I was disappointed in Miller's The Year of Reading Dangerously, it did leave me with an interest in biblio-memoirs. As a reader, it's always interesting to know what writers are reading, which authors they love and how those shap ...more
Paromita Bardoloi
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Picking up a Ruskin Bond novel brings with it its own share of joy. He can easily take you comforting places. Love Among The Bookshelves is part memoir and part anthology, and he employs his usual candid style of writing. His book is all about the love he found in between lines of the novels he’s grown up reading. You get a clearer picture of several significant moments of his life and the books that influenced and inspired him.

He begins with his days as an eight-year-old—the time when he’d go
Nakul
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india, life-itself
'In the meantime, there were books and authors to be discovered. A lifetime of reading lay ahead. Old books, new books, classics, thrillers, stories, short and tall, travelogues, histories, biographies, comedies, comic strips, poems, memories, fantasies, fables..The adventure would end only when the lights went out for ever.'

What can you say about a man that loves books and reading like this? This is the first Ruskin Bond book I have ever read, and I feel terrible that I didn't discover him soon
Somdutta
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ruskin Bond, being one of my favorite authors, I was curious to know about the books that he grew up reading or his favorite books. I was happy to know that like me, he too is an avid reader of Wodehouse among other authors. I look up books whose name have been mentioned in other books. This book is going to be my companion when I next visit a book shop or a library.
Diksha
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, i-recommend
if you like reading about books and authors... this is the book to pick... amazing description of about his favorite books an why he liked them so much.. now that waiting to read the ones I have not laid my hands till now.
Shruti Buddhavarapu
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Such a cosy, comforting read. Hot chocolate for the soul.
Himanshu Shah
Ruskin Bond always makes you go in a slow world. Wonder how authors have the ability to make you feel relaxed.
Audrija Choudhury
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have recently become an ardent fan of Ruskin Bond and his notes and essays on the mountains. But it is quite a different experience to come across books and writers that had inspired him as a writer and person. In this book he writes the writes and their works that had touched him deeply. Really an engaging read for me.
Kanika Sisodia
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Ruskin Bond, growing up in India this sounds strange, even to my own years.Nonetheless, I did read my first Bond, and Im glad I did. I could relate to the book, having spent 11 years of my life in a boarding school and having an affinity for literature. I confess some of the names mentioned in the books, I have not read before but some I have like Wodehouse,Dickens and Doyle. The others I shall venture to find and some are lying forgotten in my very own bookshelf, which I will d ...more
Omkar Joshi
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I hastily ordered this book online. I had not read a Bond book for more than 2 years , thereby, a desperation had mounted.
What I enjoyed the most while reading this book was the foreword of every story, it reflected Bond's feelings to which most of his fans can relate. He has mentioned the names of the books and authors in the foreword which opens up new possibilities for the readers.
I must admit that I didn't feel the nostalgia, the cherishing of the idyllic life or emotional upheaval
Pooja Banga
This is a story about how great novelist Ruskin Bond developed habit of reading..
It's totally inspirational:)
Swati
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I hereby confess that I am in love with books and bookshelves are good places to keep them,if not hide them
-Ruskin Bond
This book is about author's love for the books and books he read throughout his life which provided him entertainment or helped him through loneliness and inspired him to become a writer.
This book contains some short stories from some of his favourite authors like P.G.Woodehouse
Through the book i was reminded of books i read through my childhood and even got about some books i
Milan
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: india, non-fiction
In 'Love Among the Bookshelves', Ruskin Bond talks about how he fell in love with books and which books have influenced him the most. This book only covers the early period of the author’s life – how he discovered certain authors during his school days and how he decided to become a writer. The book has a list of his favourite books and authors at the end and also has some passages from those books.

It’s a quick read and we get to know what drove Ruskin Bond towards reading and later writing and
Asha Seth
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
It does not mean what the title actually means !
The reader delves into 80 odd years of Bond's love affair with his favorite books.
Quite a treasure chest this one is mine. :)
Nausheen Rahman
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ruskin Bond is not known as “Our very own resident Wordsworth in prose” and “one of India’s best-loved writers” without good reason. The list of popular novels, novellas, short story collections, essays, articles, poems, children’s books, he has penned, is a very long one, indeed. “Love among the Bookshelves”, which is an anthology-cum-memoir, can be considered one of his most interesting works.

This book is a delightful one for a number of reasons: his remarkably witty and arresting style, his
Shruti
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booklove
What a delightful little read this was!
In this book, Bond shares his love for books as a young boy. He takes the reader on a journey into his literary childhood and shares insights on how the books he read comforted, consoled and shaped him. Apart from some remarkable book recommendations dropped here and there, this book is full of his discoveries of some of the best authors and their work.
In a touching manner he shares how as a little boy, when he wanted escape from the routine boarding-schoo
Augustine George
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The book costs around 400 rupees which seems perfectly all right for us who love Ruskin Bond's writing. But as much as i expected hearing him narrate about his favourite books and writers when i took this book (from the library rather than buy it, saw it priced at 250 at the second hand book store) i can assure you that its far from being so. You have as few as 50 pages of snippets, memories of the author narrating his friendship with books as he matured, interspersed with excerpts from some of ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Little Book of Everything
  • Gently Falls The Bakula
  • The Young Oxford Book of Ghost Stories
  • The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty-Year Friendship
  • Em and The Big Hoom
  • Wise and Otherwise
  • Pyjamas are Forgiving
  • Faith and the Beloved (Kochery C Shibu)
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • The Sandman (Sandman Audible Original, #1)
  • The Man from the Egg: Unusual Tales about the Trinity
  • Magic Of The Lost Temple
  • Great Economic Thinkers
  • The Diary of a Nobody
  • Outgrowing God: A Beginner’s Guide
  • Cobalt Blue
  • Burnt Sugar
  • One Arranged Murder
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi