Start by marking “Beautiful: A girl's trip through the looking glass” as Want to Read:
Beautiful: A girl's trip through the looking glass

Beautiful: A girl's trip through the looking glass

From the creator of 'Lost in Guyville'...

It sucks to have big, frizzy hair and a decidedly average body... when you really want to have model good looks and a cool boyfriend. That's why Lily's on a mission to get beautified, or at least get a red-hot makeover. And the attention of her crush. Now if she could only stop that pesky unwanted visitor from messing with her plan
Published February 11th 2014 by Far Out Press

Colleen ~ The Clever Girl from Gallifrey
I enjoyed this book a lot and think it is a great read, especially for young girls. It deals with low self-image and the things the world tells us we need to do and how we need to look in order to be worthy. The story follows a young girl over a short period of time as she struggles to accept herself and tries to change herself to be more like the girls she envies and so her crush will like her. It is very well written and illustrated and I found myself relating to a lot of it. It is a great, qu ...more
Erin
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
One teenage girl's exploration on what it means to be yourself and not fall for all the advertising gimmicks in media texts that target young girls. While the idea might be a little bit simplistic in the way in which the main protagonist "finds herself", it is a good starter to a discussion with girls in the upper elementary or middle years about self image.
Alma White
I liked this book. I thought it was very powerful. It made me think that you don’t have to be everybody’s idea of beautiful to actually be beautiful. I know I get insecure but I’ll just think to myself it doesn’t matter what other people think as long as I think I’m beautiful.
Kristy Lin Billuni
I like stories with a strong point of view, and Beautiful has that. The story unfolds inside the mind of Lily, a young woman who doesn’t realize how beautiful she truly is. While Lily does interact with other characters, the story’s villain is a voice inside her head, and that important device worked very well in this graphic novel format.

Never have I held a more aptly titled book in my hands. Beautiful is more than a beauty-comes-from-within story, although it does sock you in the gut with its
John N Toner
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love

I loved it. It is heart warming and I think that it tells that everyone is beautiful no matter what.
Michelle Wright
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel

This was pretty good! It's very accurate example of low self esteem and the negative voice in your head that comes with it. It's, as the title says, a BEAUTIFUL story about how a girl found the true meaning of  beauty. It's very relatable and send a very good message to all girls, no matter what your age is. It really makes you stop and think. It shows you that there is more than one way to view what is beautiful and how to finally find peace from all those negative thoughts. I really e
Amber
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inner critic illustrated

This book does a beautiful job of illustrating, with clarity and immediacy, the inner critic that everyone faces, especially in adolescence - that voice that says you're not good enough, pretty enough, cool enough - you have to make yourself into a product to be appealing - and then that other voice, the self that says to be in the moment, mindful, is beautiful. I just wish this was longer!
Kyracampuzano
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What the book is about: This book is about a girl named Lily who is very self conscious of what she does and how she acts. She is not fond of her body or the way she dresses. She doesn't like how she is lonely and how her friends don't notice how she feels. In the end she tries to overcome her fear of herself and break through her bubble she is in. She then is confident about her self and is proud of what she has done.
Thoughts on book: I loved this book so much because it can be so relatable in
Elizabeth
Important topic, and moments of recognition for me with depicted inner voice. Artwork supported the story. I enjoy stories where women learn they are valuable and beautiful in who they are. But overall it felt simplistic, and the character spoke genericly and so felt representational instead of like a person in her own right: " I deserve a pricey beverage." Women's relationships with their bodies are complex, as is the world's interactions with and representations of women. Those complexities go ...more
emyrose8
3.5- I thought this would be a good one for my middle school girls, but it seemed more for high school or college kids (or adults). A few minor swear words. The main point of the story is a little too abstract for middle school- high schoolers will pick up on it better. Still, a topic that needs discussing- what makes someone beautiful?
Taylor Pierson
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Genre: Graphic novel

Unique Feature: One unique feature of this book is the beginning of each chapter. Each chapter begins with an inspirational quote that foreshadows what is to come. Each quote is also thoughtful and relevant to the book as a whole.

Grades: This book, due to its length, would be best utilized in 4th to 7th grade.

Helen Huff
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's very deep, but I did expect a little more.

The book was very short, I read it in 5 minutes. It was good, but I needed something that would take me at least a week or two to read.
Richard W Heo
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a very good book this girl was very self conscious and she had no faith in herself would not recommend

Not a very good book this girl was very self conscious would not recommend this book for kids two stars to me
Jasmine
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book opened my eyes a little more. Even though it took me about 20 min. to read, it was still really good. I'm sure almost everybody feels insecure about their looks at least a little. This story was amazing.
Cassandra
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This was nice.
Christy Rawson
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think every woman should read this. It’s a fast easy read.
✨Gayatri ✨
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was really inspirational, every girl should read it.
Liz
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely graphic novel about loving yourself no matter what you look like. Great for someone at any age to read. I really liked the quotes at the beginning of each section.
Linda Joplin
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First graphic novel I've read, and I enjoyed it. Recommend this for girls who are pre-teens or teens.
Caitlyn kim
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
eh

it was a great book bu t, It was really short.😑 But other than that, It had great body images.
Romany
This seemed oddly unfinished, in both story and design.
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
The message of this narrative was a bit heavy handed, but appreciated nonetheless.
Pam
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
What does beautiful mean to you? Lily is spending most of her time comparing herself to other people. When she finally finds her way to her own beauty - life changes.
Kristin Staaland
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am looking forward to reading this with Avery.
Beezoo
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book about finding out who you are and not needing other people to show you who you are on the inside.
Grant Barrett
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not great but needed

Book is drawn well enough for its grayscale style. Does dive into depression and anxiety but handles it too ham handedly.
Liz
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
~ 3.5 stars ~

While I could relate to a lot of the thinking in this book, it felt too short and insubstantial to me. I wanted more. It is worth the read because I think most of us will be able to relate to the feelings of self-doubt. I do like the book as a way in which to start discussions with young girls about beauty coming from within. I have two boys; when the older one read it, we talked about how everyone has self-doubt and the fact that girls, in particular, seem to fall prey to magazines
Katrina
This is a charming graphic novel with an upbeat reminder for us all about the power of valuing who you are. The treatment of this topic is likely unique for the genre and therefore worthy of adding to your bookshelf for that reason alone. The author and illustrator, Marie D'Abreo, is definitely a graphic novelist on the rise. Start your journey with her now and get ready for more inspiring, girl-power-friendly books in the future. I for one can't wait!
muthoni nyoike
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cool

The drawings were not that artistic but the story really spoke to me,the story told me even though you think you're not pretty you find out beauty is in everything not just you.

• Real, Vol. 2
  • Teen Boat! (Teen Boat!, #1)
  • The Fall of the House of West
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 12: Grasscutter (Usagi Yojimbo, #12)
  • Soupy Leaves Home
  • Last Man: The Stranger (Last Man, #1)
  • Diary of a Tokyo Teen: A Japanese-American Girl Draws Her Way Across the Land of Trendy Fashion, High-Tech Toilets and Maid Cafes
  • Monster: A Graphic Novel
  • Bingo Love Volume 1: Jackpot Edition
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 2: Strange Neapolitan
  • Bombshells: United, Vol. 1: American Soil
  • Harvey Kurtzman's Marley's Ghost (comiXology Originals)
  • The Realist
  • Victory (Resistance, #3)
  • The Game of My Life: A True Story Of Challenge, Triumph, and Growing Up Autistic
  • Die Wormworld Saga: Die Reise beginnt
  • Pelé: The King of Soccer
  • Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story
MARIE D'ABREO is the author and illustrator of the graphic novels Beautiful: A Girl's Trip Through the Looking Glass (2014), Sky Orb (2016, 2018) and Lost in Guyville (2018).

Marie grew up in Worthing, a seaside town in England. She has a B.F.A. from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design and now resides in San Francisco, California.