Start by marking “Convergant Series” as Want to Read:

87 · Dry Run · ss F&SF May ’68
99 · Convergent Series [“The Long Night”] · ss F&SF Mar ’67
107 · The Deadlier Weapon · ss EQMM Jun ’68
119 · The Nonesuch · ss F&SF Dec ’74
Published June 12th 1983 by Del Rey (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Convergant Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Convergant Series

Terence
An enjoyable collection of short stories; my favorites are the ones based on Niven's "Draco Tavern," particularly "Grammar Lesson" and "The Subject Is Closed."
Einar Nielsen
This book, like many short story collections, has its good parts and not so good parts. There are some great stories in here that grabbed me from page one like Bordered in Black and The Schumann Computer and then there are a few that I just didn't enjoy. Although you could always argue if its the story or if my mind is just too cluttered when I started reading (this is sometimes a problem when I read science fiction). Kij Johnson put it very nicely when she said: "The reader … once they have inv ...more
Phil Giunta
Convergent Series is the second Larry Niven anthology I've read over the past month and I enjoyed it far more than Tales of Known Space.

In terms of quantity, there were more stories in Convergent Series (twenty-one to be exact) with several only two or three pages long. Five of the stories are from his popular Draco's Tavern series.

Some of my favorites from this anthology include:

"Bordered in Black" - Two astronauts scouting an alien world detect a strange black border along the shoreline of th
Ratiocination
Another recent reread. Although N-Space, Playgrounds of the Mind and Scatterbrain have improved matters, some of Niven's early non-series work is still fairly hard to track down. As such, I was happy to find a used copy of this.

Originally, this anthology was intended to reprint the stories from The Shape of Space (already hard to come by in 1979) that hadn't also appeared in Tales of Known Space. Added to that was enough new material to fill out a paperback-- namely, the first few Draco Tavern s
Robert Beveridge
Larry Niven, Convergent Series (Del Rey, 1979)

Convergent Series is half previously published material and half new material written for this book, including five new Draco's Tavern tales and some new Known Universe stuff. (Some of the previously published stuff is proto-Known Universe material, as well.) If you're a Larry Niven fan, you know what that means. If you aren't, what it means is that this is a pretty good place to get to know Larry Niven.

There is (as there is in most science fiction;
Andreas
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection is a mix of Known Space stories, Draco Tavern stories and unrelated stories. There’s some great stuff in here, including the outstanding Dry Run, in which a man is doing a dry run with his dead dog in preparation for disposing of his wife’s body. Vintage Niven.

Toby
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty fun set of short stories. Some are inter-related and some are not. Mostly, just a few of them share a main character and a couple of alien races. A number of them deal with time travel, and at least a few deal with the role that imagination plays in the existence or non-existence of an alien being. Fun, and still relevant, even though published just a few years after I was born!
Matus
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Worth it for the following clever stories: "Like Banquo's Ghost", "Dry Run", "Convegent Series", "The Nonesuch", "Mistake".

Note on personal taste: I seem to (a) like niven's "pure sf" style less than the more psychological focus of, say, pkd & delany, and (2) like sf that leaves more to the imagination, spelling less out.
Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a collection of short stories, some of which I'd read in other collections. I'd like to find more of his Draco's Tavern stories. "The Deadlier Weapon" isn't even SF at all - but thought-provoking just the same.
Thee_Dragonfly
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of hard sci-fi short stories including several located in an intergalactic saloon frequented by zany aliens with tall tales. Niven is an expert story teller and balances realistic detail, action, thought and just the right touch of humor.
A.N.
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
55/100. Man-eating aliens & other 'nonesuch.'
Rob
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid set of short stories. Basically uniform quality, no embarrassments, and not the hard SF that is typical of Niven. If you like the author, definitely worth reading.
Chris Kasten
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my all time favorite collection of Niven short stories. Well worth a revisit every few years.
Mark Palmer
There are some good stories in this collection. The title story is particularly good.
bluetyson
Convergent Series by Larry Niven (1980)
Jimmy Pedersen
Loved it :-), This i Niven, no need to say anything else :-)
Jack
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book of his short stories.
Erica
Dec 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Short, dark and mildly depressing. I love Larry Niven.
C.
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was in high school, and I still love it. About the best and certainly the most entertaining description of this topic I've ever read. If only all math could be this fun.
Neil Decker
Required text to blank date (dumb)
Paul
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A pretty good collection of mostly early Larry Niven short stories. It's not as awesome as some of the others, but Larry Niven always pretty readable and worth the time.
Jay
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have any interest in Niven, you gotta read the title story to the book.
J.D.
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
155pp
T
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice set of stories. Gives a good idea on how to write science fiction short stories.
Ppint
Shane Stringer
Jun 10, 2013
Paul
Feb 10, 2009
  • Flandry of Terra (Ensign Flandry 3)
  • The River of Time
  • Halo
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
  • The Lost Worlds of 2001
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Memory Wire
  • The Eighty Minute Hour A Space Opera
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • Game of Universe
  • Blue Champagne
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Great Time Machine Hoax
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more
More about Larry Niven...