Start by marking “This Summer” as Want to Read:
This Summer

This Summer

(This Summer #1)

Published July 9th 2014 by Carina UK

To ask other readers questions about This Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Summer

Sandra
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
"I'm tired of running in the wrong direction. I've made so many mistakes and I will spend a lifetime regretting them. And if I stayed there, I'd add more to the pile. I want to run with you now. You're the only home I've ever wanted."

I would like to than the author for providing me an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.

This Summer is a good contemporary Summer read. At first, I thought it was just going to be simple, fun read, but its not. It dealt with relationships, not just between
Jaime Arkin
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
I'm not sure if this was an "it's not you, it's me" kind of dislike or not. I struggled to get into this story for a couple of reasons... the main one being that the writing was just way too stilted for me. Let me tell you, when you're writing dialogue, I will forever notice when you don't use contractions. It makes conversations awkward and unnatural feeling to me. Add to that the many passages that just felt overburdened with details that had no impact on the story... and it was a struggle for ...more
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
When I first saw This Summer on netgalley I thought it would be a great book to bring me out of my reading slump, and also a different genre to what I have been reading lately. Hadley works at summer camp run by her Dad during summer, Will, her old neighbour and used to be friend, has come back home to lend a hand at the camp and finish off the updates to his house so he can get it sold and go back to Texas. What follows is a tug of war of feelings, ups and downs, and a lot of hurt feelings.

Hone
Key R.
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.8

This Summer was a cute light read. It could be read in a day, which I really liked. It’s something that you could bring to the beach with you. It’s definitely a summer read. This book won’t send you into an ugly sobbing mess, but it will help you complete that reading goal and witness a cute relationship.

This book did tackle some serious issues. I don’t want to say too much because it would be spoilers, but the author did do it justice. However, the book wasn’t overly dark.

The main comp
Michelle
Just like the cover and title suggest, This Summer is a fun and fabulous book for summer. It takes place mostly at a summer camp, and I loved the setting for this second chance romance. Hadley had a huge crush on her best friend and next door neighbor, Will. And she was starting to think that he liked her too when he just up and left town. That was 2 years ago, and This Summer he is back...

That is how the book starts out. Well, the book starts out with Hadley and her ex breaking up, and I was re
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

I don't understand what happened. This one started off so strong and then devolved so quickly. Most of my problems stemmed from the way sex was treated in this one, tbh. But to all you: if you have a friend who says they aren't comfortable with hearing about your sexcapades, don't continuously send them detailed texts about that. That is so rude. And second, DO NOT SLEEP WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND'S EX-BOYFRIEND. WTF.

On t
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
"After that night, you left me without another word. And from the moment you arrived I'm thrown back to the life we had before. As best friends and maybe more. I just need to know if you feel the same..."

A fun and perfect for summer contemporary read, This Summer is a lot deeper than I expected it to be. After Will left Hadley without a word, she has been heartbroken ever since. Then he comes back for summer to work at a camp and fix up the house. With their relationship left unstable, they
Resch Reads
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
You know when you have been reading too many dark, deep moody books and you need something light and refreshing to read, that’s this book. This book was so nice and such a change up, taking you back to high school where your only concerns are boys, college, and enjoying the summer. It reminded me of high school where the little things seem like the end of the world!

Let me dive in, Hadley was sweet and kind and I loved Will. Can I have a Will of my own? He has his troubles but when everything is
Samantha Tonge
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a lovely, light summer read, which will take you right back to your school crushes when you are just on the cusp of adulthood. Best mates Hadley and Lily and determined to enjoy their last summer together, working at camp. But things become complicated when Hadley's best childhood friend - and object of her affection - Will returns, having disappeared mysteriously two years earlier and breaking her heart. Throw Hadley's jealous ex, Carter, into the mix and there's a recipe for fireworks.
A
Fiona Wilson
Shelves: 2014-reads
I love this authors The Life After series, so was interested to read something totally different from her. I wasn't disappointed.

I always wanted to do a kids camp in America as a teenager, it's something I regret now not ever taking the chance and doing. This book is based around a kids camp so I immediately felt drawn into the story.

The characters in the story are exactly how teenagers should be - not sure of their futures, focusing only on the here and now, and worrying about what other people
Kate
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this story and the main characters Will and Hadley were great but it had an ending that just wrapped up too easily and perfectly for me. Lately I seem to be reading a great deal of these books that have good characters and an engaging story line but that resolve too neatly. If major problems exist I just don't buy that they can be solved in the end. However, I was engaged by this book and would definitely read more by this author.
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Fun summer read. Love boy next door romances. The middle starting dragging and repeating a lot of the same misunderstandings and drama but it was cute overall.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for YA Books Central

A sweet romance highlighting the fragile hearts of youth.

The story:
Hadley is determined to have a good summer before leaving for college. She breaks up with her boyfriend to spend her time with her best friend working at the summer camp her father runs. All her plans are thrown out the window when her old neighbor, ex-best friend, and once crush returns with no explanations as to why he left in the first place. Two years have passed but some feelings never go away an
Lovely Loveday
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This Summer is the perfect beach read! I really enjoyed getting to know the main characters, Will and Hadley and all the drama that comes with them. Duncan writes a lovely story that takes place during summer that is full of love, hope, heartache and laughter. I love the setting and feel that it is perfect for this young adult love story. This book will have you reliving your old high school crushes and first loves. Overall, this is a beautiful and charming romance novel that I enjoyed reading. ...more
Rovi Anne
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
ahhh!! young love!!
Three Chicks
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Review by Trinette Dungee

Hadley Beauman is determined to have the best summer as it’s her last summer before college. She’s broken up with her ex-boyfriend who doesn’t quite get that they are broken up and she and her best friend Lily decide to throw caution to the wind and just enjoy themselves. Before her plans for the perfect summer can even start they are derailed by the return of her childhood crush Will Carson. Two years ago Will broke her heart and mysteriously disappeared. To add insult
Ella Janine
Summer fling romance was never my favorite. Instead of seeing it as a beautiful and charming romance, I see it as sad, heartbreaking, and full of regrets kind of thing because nobody knows what will happen after summer’s gone. So this is why I didn’t put my hopes up when I started reading This Summer. But what surprised me is despite of what I thought would be a book full of blah, this book became something more. Something a romance fan can look forward too.

The story starts with the reunion of
Kristen
GENRE: New Adult
THEME: Contemporary Romance
RECEIVED: NetGalley
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Oh the fond memories of summer camp, it was like a trip down memory lane with this story, except I didn’t get the excitement and drama of romance. I had some love hate moments with this story, mostly in the beginning because the pace was a bit slow for my liking. This being the main reason I didn’t get five stars, I need to be hooked and I had to wait until almost the middle of the book to
Casey
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

This Summer is an enjoyable young adult contemporary book from Katlyn Duncan. This is the first book I have ever read by Katlyn Duncan, and I liked it. I thought that it was a really cute story and would make a great beach read. I did have a few issues with it, but I thought that overall it was pretty good. I will look for more from Katlyn Duncan in the future.

The last summer before Hadley heads to college she is determined to make the best of
Sophie
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Posted originally http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

The cover of This Summer really appealed to me – it gives off a sweet, romantic vibe and I do love those kind of young adult summer romance stories – ones which are typically just cute and even though you can probably guess where they’re going before they’ve started, you don’t mind because it just makes you smile. I loved the summer camp setting here – it was a setting I’ve not really read too many times before and it made this book feel
Lauren
I LOVED this book, holy smokes. I was CRYING in the last few chapters, and that wasn't expected at all. I love when a a romance takes your heart <3

Review to come soon :)

I’ve noticed over the past few months I’ve really been looking for “summer reads”. Light hearted, romantic contemporaries that give me the warm fuzzies inside so This Summer immediately caught my interest…

I adored the main character Hadley. There was just something about her that I immediately liked and I also really loved he
Jordin
My Thoughts
This Summer was a cute summer read, and my first New Adult book! I have been meaning to try out the new "genre" for awhile, but I just needed to find a book that didn't seem to sexcapade-y.
Things that were meh:
The Dual Perspectives weren't all that different. While I appreciated both Hadley and Will's POVs, if the beginning of the chapter didn't list who POV we were in, I would have been a bit confused. There voices were very similar. But I think the story overall benefited from b
Gabbie (Rampant Readers)
For more of this review and others like it, check out my blog, Rampant Readers.

Plot

This Summer was definitely a novel that gave me my contemporary drama fill. Hadley and her best friend Lily want to have a great summer before college, Hadley is finally free from a relationship even though her ex still wants her. But nothing will get in the way of the summer to remember. That is, until Will Carson appears back in town. Will, Hadley’s ex-best friend and crush. The Will that left two years prior
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, e-arc
I have to admit, I’m a total sucker for contemporary summer reads… especially ones with such cute covers! When I saw this one on Netgalley I requested it immediately and started it soon after receiving it.

Hadley and her best friend, Lily, have their hearts set on having a fantastic summer to remember. While helping out at Hadley’s father’s summer camp, as they do every year, they decide to make this the best summer ever! It’s their last summer helping out at the camp since college starts in the
Amanda
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This summer by katlyn duncan
The blurb
Before college, before responsibilities, Hadley Beauman and best friend Lily are determined to have a summer to remember. There will be all the usual dramas - ex-boyfriends who don't seem to know what 'ex' means, pesky younger brothers with unrequited crushes, but what Hadley didn't anticipate was the out-of-the-blue return of the seriously hot boy-next-door, Will Carson. The boy who broke her heart when he skipped town two years ago.
Will may have shot up a
Rachel
THIS SUMMER is a light, fun and sweet romance with a dash of heat. It’s a love story that reignites a spark that had only just begun to burn between Hadley and Will before his sudden departure from Hadley’s life. Told from both Hadley and Will’s perspectives, readers will get to see just what Will’s secrets are, whether Hadley has the “summer to remember” she wanted, and whether they’re both looking for a summer fling or hoping for something more.

When Will left two years ago, with no explanation
Monica
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
First off I love Will! He is sweet and mysterious two things I find irresistible. Hadley has recently decided to breakup with her boyfriend Carter since she is moving out of state for college. Hadley and her best friend Lily decide this will be their summer of fun and just to hang out together…no boys. It all sounds good until Will comes back into town after nearly two years since he left without a word.

Hadley and Will have been friends and neighbors since they were kids. When Will comes back to
Heather A

I received a copy from Netgalley.

A lighthearted, fun summer romance. Main character Hadley has graduated from high school and is looking forward to her last summer before college in her home town set to have some no regrets fun with her best friend Lily. They have jobs at the local summer camp and all looks to be going swimmingly....until Hadley's former next door neighbour and best friend (epic crush) Will turns up unexpectedly.

Its a a roller coaster of summer time fun and will they
Sharrice
Hadley has one more summer before she heads off to college in New York City. She’ll be far away from her family, her best friend, and the summer camp she worked at with her father for so long. She has one more summer to enjoy everything the summer has to offer and everything seems perfect. Then her neighbor, her best friend, and her first everything show up again and he’s everywhere. Will works at the camp as her partner, he’s at her house, and he’s right next-door. Suddenly the summer is moving ...more
2kasmom
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Will Carson and Hadley Beauman have been friends since they were small. They grew up next door to one another. Until one night they kiss...and he just moves and is gone!

Two years later, he comes back to help with a summer camp that Hadley's father is in charge of. They end up being co-counselors together for the summer and its not awkward....much.

Hadley was devastated when he left. Will had no idea how she felt and she never got the chance to tell him. She seems to make the wrong choices when it
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Free Books, .99, ...: (INT) This Summer by Katlyn Duncan $25 Amazon GC 1 16 Jul 14, 2014 04:27AM
  • While You're Away (While You're Away, #1)
  • Beautiful Girl
  • Priya in Heels
  • Her Perfect Game (Hot & Nerdy, #2)
  • Love on the Ledge (On the Verge #2)
  • While You Were Gone (Duplexity, #2)
  • Covert Assignment (Covert #1)
  • Enduring Fate (Fate for Love #1)
  • The Dare and the Doctor (Winner Takes All, #3)
  • Foretold (Sisters of Fate, #1)
  • A Girl Undone (A Girl Called Fearless, #2)
  • Evolution (Extraction, #3)
  • Risky
  • Rachel's Deception (Temptation, #4)
  • Unravel (Linked, #2)
  • Oceanborn (The Aquarathi, #2)
  • Chaos (Fates #2)
  • The Fourth Wish (The Art of Wishing, #2)
Coming from a small town in Western Mass, Katlyn Duncan always had her head in the clouds. Working as a scientist for most of her adult life, she enjoyed breaking down the hows and whys of life.

As a full-time author and freelance writer, she’s published eight novels in four years. If she’s not writing, she’s obsessing over many (many) television series’.

She currently resides in Southern New Engla