Start by marking “We'll Never Be Apart” as Want to Read:

We'll Never Be Apart

Murder.

Fire.

Revenge.

That’s all seventeen-year-old Alice Monroe thinks about. Committed to a mental ward at Savage Isle, Alice is haunted by memories of the fire that killed her boyfriend, Jason. A blaze her twin sister Cellie set. But when Chase, a mysterious, charismatic patient, agrees to help her seek vengeance, Alice begins to rethink everything. Writing out the sto
Published October 6th 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about We'll Never Be Apart, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tina Zangari
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Andra.H
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,887 voters
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
441 books — 3,377 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
We'll Never Be Apart is a psychological thriller that relies heavily on the reveal/climax that you can feel coming for the entire book.

I'm not usually a fan of mystery/thrillers that don't deliver more substance in the build and hang everything on the answers, but with this book I think there's an even bigger problem: it's just not that original or shocking.

I can predict that your enjoyment of this book depends on whether the ending is a surprise for you. Having read several mystery/thrillers,
Inge
Now that. Was awesome.
“I’m coming for you, Cellie. Come hell or high water. I’m going to find you. And when I do, I’m going to kill you.”

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(Yes, I absolutely had to do that.)

We’ll Never Be Apart is quite the debut novel. From the very first words on the very first page, it had me hooked and even after finishing it, I’m not sure if it has quite let go of me yet. I’m still thinking about what a mad (pun intended) rollercoaster this was, filled with twists and turns, building up and up and up unti
Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇
3.5 Stars

"This must be some kind of cosmic joke. Disbelief and utter despair run heavy and icy through my veins. Cellie's really done it this time.
She's succeeded.
She's brought me down. I'd clap for her if it wasn't so awful."

This is a story about Alice, a pyromaniac charged with murder. The story follows her time in a mental ward on Savage Island.

If I were to judge this book for it's simple prose it would receive all the stars.

I always find that young adult novels hit the sweet spot when i
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, z2015, netgalley, ya
This book left me kind of disappointed. I guessed the "twist" in the first few pages and while I enjoyed reading the book, I was disappointed that I had been right about the "shock" ending. More than anything I wish that I was wrong; I wish that Emiko Jean didn't go with the obvious ending. If there was a different ending I probably would have been more impressed.

The writing was good. It was a very addicting story. I found it hard to put the book down. I wanted to see how the story would play o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogsplot.com

THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!! I had a feeling where it was going and I was right, but it's still so freaking good.

You have these twin sisters, Alice & Celia). They live with their grandfather but wake up one day to find him dead. They stayed in the house for a bit of time before they are found out and carted off to different foster homes. In one of these homes they meet Jason. All three of them make a little team and hang out together all of the time. They do s
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I adore stories where the narrator is unreliable or where things aren't quite what they seem and in We'll Never Be Apart, Jean manages to portray both elements of unreliability and the feeling that you know a twist is coming. That things aren't quite right and at any moment they will turn for the worst.

Woven with sly hints and foreshadowing as the story progresses from Alice's point of view to her journal entries, this was done well. Captivating as much as it was interesting, this was a story t
Nastassja
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of psychological YA
Shelves: mystery, young-adult

Actual rating: 2.8

The problem with We'll never be apart is that this book promises a lot but in the end it takes more that it gives. From the annotation and first chapters it looked like a quality thriller YA with psychological twists and turns. What happened in the barn that night? Why was Alice in the hospital the first time? Is it real? And so on. But unfortunately in the end all these questions didn't matter, because we have a quite typical YA strongly leaning on the topic of hard lives

Erin Dunn
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Woo hoo! I got approved on Edelweiss. I'm going to start it soon!

Thank you to Edelweiss and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing for allowing me to read and review We'll Never Be Apart by Emiko Jean.

I absolutely loved this book! Initially what drew me to the book was just the plot summary. There's an unreliable narrator set in a mental ward? Fire, revenge, and murder? I'm in! Then when I saw it on Edelweiss something else caught my attention. It said that We'll Never Be Apart was inspired by t
Bonnie
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
‘So where does a story that ends in fire and death begin? It begins in the snow on the coldest day of the coldest winter of the last fifty years, with two girls on their sixth birthday in silent house. It begins with a body.’

Alice and Celia are twins who have had an arduous life, but fortunately they’ve had each other to get through it. After their grandfather died when they were six, they’ve bounced around to various different foster care homes, some worse than others. When Alice is seventeen
Addi • Pages Within Me
Talk about a head trip. After finishing this story I am left thinking about everything I just read and questioning what was real and what was not and just- ugh, I can feel a headache starting.

I really enjoyed this book. Granted, I called the plot twist pretty early on, but as I continued reading i was questioning my conclusion. I liked that this book kept me guessing. Definitely a psychological thriller. The only thing that leaves me rating this a 4 star rather than 5 is that ending plot twist,
Christy
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Novel InkWe'll Never Be Apart was one of my most anticipated reads of the fall.  It sounded so good and the cover is GORGEOUS.  I picked this book up expecting a twisted story that would keep me on the edge of my seat the entire time.  While, this was *as* twisted as I was expecting, it was still a great read.

After a fire that killed her boyfriend, Jason, Alice is sent to Savage Isla, a psychiatric hospital.  She's having trouble remembering what happened tha
Jen Ryland
Good book to read on Halloween -- a girl in a mental hospital is searching for her twin sister, also a patient in the hospital, because she holds her responsible for a fire that killed her boyfriend.

I liked this book -- it was sort of a combination of Girl, Interrupted with White Oleander (the girls have bounced around from foster home to foster home since they were young.) All along I had a feeling that (view spoiler)
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!

We’ll Never Be Apart is a riveting psychological thriller from page one. It’s a mystery…a thinker…and full of suspense. From the first time I saw the wickedly amazing cover… I knew I had to read this book. The cover just grabs you and doesn’t let go.

The story revolves around Alice who is now in a mental facility after surviving a fire that her twin sister, Celia, started in an attempt to kill her and her boyfriend Jason, whom sadly did not survive. Alice is recovering and
Zoe
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it

image

This is one of those times where you have to ask yourself if there's such a thing as reading too much. This was a decent and well-written debut, but it was so predictable.

Confined to a mental ward to recuperate, all 17-year-old Alice can think of is the fire that killed her boyfriend and left her scarred. The fire that her twin sister Cellie set.
And now she's ready to teach Cellie some lessons. She's ready to right some wrongs. Now, it's time for revenge.

Cellie was your typical thriller prota
Jillian
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
*3.25 stars*

Extremely predictable. But I was rooting for the main character. Definitely creepy and atmospheric. I also felt like the epilogue was unnecessary and sort of negated the ending? It's kinda like at the end of every horror movie they do a flash of the serial killer/monster for a cheap scare.
emily
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015

I really, really enjoyed this book! Ended up being something I totally was not expecting. If you want to read my full review and hear all my thoughts on this book (and why you should read it), head on over to my blog!! :)
Kelly Gunderman
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
Check out this and other reviews on my blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I've always had problems with books that label themselves as thrillers, mostly because they are so predictable and the author just tries too hard to make it believable or interesting. The characters usually lack depth, and they're typically uninteresting, because that author will work so hard to create a great story and plot line, and then they forget to do anything worthwhile with the characters.

If you feel that way about a lo
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
A very paint-by-numbers YA psychological thriller.
Recommended for: those who are new to this type of novel. If this is a genre you dabble in frequently, it brings nothing new to the table and will likely not impress you.

*a quick note: this novel contains triggering material and includes a scene with animal cruelty*

I have no real complaints for the writing - as a first novel I think it was good in regards to style, and I definitely look forward to reading Emiko Jean's future projects.

However, thi
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
We’ll Never Be Apart is the perfect book to cozy up with this Halloween season. Emiko Jean has written a whirlwind of a novel that will have readers kept in suspense. This novel is very eerie with its mental hospital setting, unique writing style and intense story of vengeance.

With its spine-chilling vibe, We’ll Never be Apart is a book that has the ideal backdrop for a fall read. It is set in the creepiest perfect location for a book of this type, a mental hospital. The main character, Alice, i
Tom Mack
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: mystery, suspense, thriller, ya
Wow. I mean REALLY, REALLY WOW. This is an AMAZING BOOK!!!

This is one that I absolutely LOVED from start to the beautiful finish and want everyone to RUN out and pick it up as soon as it’s available. I borrowed an ARC from a friend based solely on the cover... I really like the idea of looking up from a character's point of view, so I was interested before I even opened up the cover.

The way that debut novelist Emiko Jean takes us through the story of twin sisters Alice and Cellie, commenting sub
Emma
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Right from the start of this book I was hooked. It was nothing like what I expected, the prologue is from Cellie's point of view as she starts a fire in the barn which nearly kills Alice and does kill Jason. Chapter one switches to Alice's point of view with her leaving the hospital and being transferred to the mental hospital. While reading I had no idea where the book was going, I couldn't even guess at the resolution of the story. By the end of the book I was shocked, this rarely happens for ...more
Kitkat
Apr 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was really boring and I was upset with the ending. I felt a little disappointed and it was predictable. I'm not amused. But I did like the ending with Cellie because it was creepy and scary. I liked that but everything else I disliked.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Is it possible to enjoy a psychological thriller even if you guess the mystery in the prologue? Being well written but somewhat predictable, We’ll Never be Apart by Emiko Jean brings forth this dilemma I struggled to resolve before deciding whether to recommend the book. On the one side, the plot Jean crafted is largely dependent upon the big reveal in the last few chapters, a mystery that can be guessed on the very first pages. On the other side, though, the book has plenty going for i
Christy LoveOfBooks

Okay, here’s the thing … I knew what was going on after I read the prologue, and almost quit reading because I figured why bother if I already figured it out. I thought it would be another disappointing YA mystery/thriller. Well, luckily I don’t always listen to myself and continued reading, because We’ll Never Be Apart was actually pretty good!

This is a quick read that really sucked me in and held my attention once I decided to give it a chance. It was a totally different experience reading it
Beth  (YA Books Central)
"Wherever you go, I'll go too."
"Do you promise?" she asked.
"I promise," I said. "We'll never be apart."

We'll Never Be Apart is a psychological thriller that will keep you guessing until the very last page. It's a mystery...a thinker...and full of suspense. From the first time I saw the wickedly amazing cover.. I knew I had to read this book. The cover just grabs you and doesn't let go.

Amber
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Despite guessing a few major plot points early on, I enjoyed this book. The pace was casual and addicting. I kept finding myself eager to continue on. My major issues lied with there being plot points that didn't make sense after I finished the book. I enjoyed the side characters and wish we had more time with them especially Chase. I'd have liked less about Jason overall. As a debut novel, I'm looking forward to future works by this author.

I received an e-copy of this through Net-Galley for an
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Even though it didn't mess with my head as much as I wanted to, it was completely fucked up.
Burçak Kılıç Sultanoğlu
Bu tarzda cok kitap okudugum icin sonunu en baştan tahmin ettim o yüzden şok yaşamam gereken yerde "hah dediğim gibi oldu" diye düşündüm sadece 🤣🤣
Ama gayet güzel bir kitap hastalıklı ikiz, psikopat sevgili falan hoşuma gitti :) zaten böyle karanlık zihinli kitaplar okumak hoşuma gidiyor nedense. Kendim kesinlikle öyle değilim tabi gayet sevgi dolu aydınlık bir ruhum var, hiç bir canlıyı incitemem 😊😊 kısa kesmek gerekirse sıkılmadan okuyabilirsiniz gayet güzel bir kitap ✌✌
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Even though I predicted the outcome of this book on page three (of the prologue, mind you), I still had a fantastic time reading it. Some parts felt like they could have gone deeper, explored more, but overall I was really happy with how the book turned out. It was creepy, compelling, and a little maddening. All the things you'd want from a book like this.

Full review closer to release!
Adriana Cernat
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pur si simplu wow!
Un thriller psihologic extrem de captivant! 😐
  • Vanquished
  • The Tenderness of Thieves
  • A Million Times Goodnight
  • Damage Done
  • Third Charm (Run to You, #3)
  • Girl Last Seen
  • Witch Hearts
  • Into the Dangerous World
  • An Inheritance of Ashes
  • Feral
  • Dead to Me
  • The Wicked Awakening of Anne Merchant (The V Trilogy, #2)
  • Underneath Everything
  • After the Red Rain
  • Endangered
  • R.I.P. Eliza Hart
  • It Should Have Been You
  • Ruthless
“Grief is a powerful thing, and sometimes, if it's ignored, we can become lost in it.” 11 likes
“People come undone all the time, Alice. We're all unraveling here. You've just done it in the most spectacular way. In fact, you could be our queen.” 8 likes