Start by marking “Spanners: The Fountain of Youth” as Want to Read:
Spanners: The Fountain of Youth

Spanners: The Fountain of Youth

Spanners
The average human being lives from 0-80 sequentially. Spanners don't.
These rare beings have different lifespans than the rest of us. Some live their lives in reverse, some live only six months, and some are immortal. There are hundreds of classes of spanners that live hundreds of different ways, and each class has a unique lifespan that gives them unique powers
Published June 3rd 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Spanners, please sign up.
Jonathan Maas
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jonathan Maas Sharron! There will be a part 2 - in a sense!

Sharron! There will be a part 2 - in a sense!

www.spannersthemovie.com - It's filmed, and we are currently in negotiations for distribution. It's the prequel! Regardless hope to update you very soon!(less)

Start your review of Spanners: The Fountain of Youth
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
'Spanners - The Fountain of Youth' by Jon Maas is about a group of human-like beings called 'Spanners' who live on different timescales to us - some can live hundreds of years, others die young or age very quickly. Most live with us but some hide away. They all have their own unique special powers or abilities.
Since I enjoyed Jonathan Maas' other novel 'Flare' I knew I'd enjoy this book, it is well written and although probably better suited to adults I do believe a younger generation would enjo
G.G.
Disclaimer: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Reviews are encouraged but not required. I decided to review this book on my own accord.

Spanners: The Fountain of Youth should please any one who is a fan of superhero type stories. We follow the story of two groups of spanners: one who wants to destroy the world, while the other wants to stop them.

I won't go into details but I liked that while I was totally against the villain's idea, the author wrote a plausible story. I could still somewh
Rasma
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is like X-Men if X-Men had history and Imortals

If X-Men had a more evil immortal Ponce dé Leon and a living tree that's what this book is except more awesome than X-Men. You ask how can anything be more awesome than X-Men well read the book and find out!
Birgit
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was kindly given to me by the author - thanks again.
Spanners - humans with super powers of different kinds are everywhere on earth, some living among normal humans, some hiding in remote areas. A handful of them have to work together to save The Fountain of Youth from the clutches of an evil spanner, and thus save mankind.
A good plot, likeable characters (even the evil ones), and a good narration style - this had everything to make it a really good book, and I quite liked it, but for s
Crystal Gillespie
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts with an interesting premise - that some individuals live different lifespans than the average human. It then goes on to explore the choices made by those who cannot die, both good and evil.
While I liked the ideas in the book, I think some of the plot points could have been explained better. Overall, a fun and easy read!
Sarai
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting

This wasn't the story I was expecting but I really enjoyed it love to see more from this world good job.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Because I enjoyed reading Jonathan Maas' first novel, Hellenica - City of gods, it was interesting for me to read his second novel, Spanners - The Fountain of Youth. In my opinion Spanners - The Fountain of Youth is a surprisingly original and enjoyable novel, because the author uses the legend of the Fountain of Youth as a basis for his story.

It's easy to see that Jonathan Maas likes writing and storytelling, because Spanners - The Fountain of Youth is a fas
Syd
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book through a goodreads first reads giveaway.

I really wanted to like this one. Sounds like an AU earth with a hidden section of society that has super powers/abilities? Sign me up! At times this book did give me a slight X-Men/mutants uniting to save the day vibe. And I always love it when a book's plot connects to various points in history. But it wasn't enough to win me over.

The storytelling was just too plain, more like a script or a detailed outline than a fin
Joseph
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Joelene
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It takes a chapter or two to fully understand the characters and to get to know them (not a bad thing) but I found once I got into that and knew who was who and figured out what was happening, I loved this book! It was one of those few that could have gone in really any direction and I didn't have the first clue which one it was which made it that much more alluring and made me want to read more and pick it up more often then I was able to.
I enjoyed that it was a different take on the world the
Sharon
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this after Jonathon Maas' new book Flare. I did not enjoy it as much but can see that it is a very original tale, the story about people (Spanners) with strange abilities, some immortal, some not, all have various powers. It is basically a story of one Spanner looking for another and everyone looking for the Fountain of Youth who is another being. It would spoil the story to tell you too much. Anyone who enjoys vampire, myths, angels, mutant type stories would really enjoy this. I have gi ...more
Patiscynical
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a long strange trip it's been

Spanners live in vain.
Scanners are a group of human-like beings that live on different timescales than us. Some live among us, some hide from us.
I had my doubts about this, that the author could pull it off, but it is very well done. He makes the spanners seem real, that they could exist. He makes them believable.
Adam is a spanner that has been alive thousands of years. An immortal, who is drawn into a fight for the planet against Ponce de' Leon, an immortal w
Charles Ray
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adam Parr is a detective, but a detective with a huge difference: he’s 8,000 years old and he specializes in dealing with a special kind of case. Parr’s cases deal with people who do not age like the rest of humanity—called, Spanners, they live on a different time scale than the rest of us.
When Parr learns of the presence of the most powerful Spanner of all, and that individual’s search for the Fountain of Youth, he realizes that he must stop her in order to save the world.
Spanners – The Fountai
Kagsy Wagsy
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading Spanners and allowed the story to unfold without the complication of having to understand the linear time element. Although a cliche save the world type story there were surprises along the way, enough to keep a relatively non sci-fi fan interested. Well written, with enough good description where needed. I think this book would appeal to readers from all age groups - well done Jonathan

I received a copy of this book through a book club I am a member of in exchange for a
Karen
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's an interesting story. You can see how each person believes is doing the right thing. Both good and bad believed to be heroes in their own world. As some want immortality and others do not mind living too. I would have liked to see a little more of the final battle but, in general, been a good book. ...more
Nickisha
A coming of age tale for lovers of sci fi

Jonathan Maas, manages to capture the human experience even in the unlikely landscape of superhuman immortals. Teenage angst, middle-aged crisis and finding one's purpose is addressed in the race to stopping the end on the world. While fighting spider wolves, berserkers and a mad man in a quest for power.
Melanie Wilson
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Took me a few chapters but once that far I had a grasp of what was happening. Sure wish I could find "The Fountain of Youth"
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and hoping for a second.

I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.
Brenda Schneider
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The characters are inventive, the ideas original, and the story was interesting.
I received this book from Good Reads.
Amanda Gilliatt
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book is great, to start it gives details of a few the characters,great adventure book,i love the character mayfly,it will defiantly be a book I will read again.
Lainy
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very engrossing read, certainly keeps you gripped from start to end.
Peter Bradley
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Please give my Amazon review a helpful vote - https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

I came to this after watching the movie "Spanners." The movie and the book sharply diverge from each other, although some of the same characters - Adam, Phage, Mayflie and Gereon - are common to the two books.

In the book, the immortal Juan Ponce de Leon is freed from burial in the swamps of Florida. It seems that Juan, as he is known in this book, discovered the Fountain of Youth and the secret of immortality,
Lauren Wallace
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"we are close to unleashing the Fountains' full power. the life aspect of her being will magnify our abilities by a thousand until we're like the gods of yesteryear" (p. 133)

Spanners are mysterious beings with different lifespans than normal humans, some of them are immortal, some live only six months, some age backwards. This book tells the story of an immortal spanner named Adam Parr as he tries to stop his adversary from unleashing the power of a spanner capable of controlling life and death.
Ian Turkstra
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
For most of the book I quite liked it. I feel, however, that it didn't really end. It was suddenly/unexpectedly over but did not feel fully wrapped up. It was like there should be another book - but there's not. This took away a few stars from what would have been a better rating and a better book! ...more
dawn rahe
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tara Rebilas, Alison Ernst
Spanners: The Fountain of Youth (Paperback)
by Jonathan Maas I love this book!!! It has EVERYTHING! Strong characters. A super plot- who would not love to find the Fountain of Youth? I fell in love with Mayfly. I am sure all the girls do... I love Adam because he IS history and an Empath as am I. Dark antagonist with one who I had to toss a coin - Balthasar- he is so full of surprises.tyj
SidheThinks
I feel like I missed something

I like the idea of the spanners but I feel like I've missed some earlier stories or something. The characters didn't draw me in, with Mayfly as the possible exception. This one just didn't work for me.
Penny Bowden
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!!!

Didn’t know what to expect from this book but really enjoyed it and hope there are more! Definitely worth reading.....
Julie Dawson
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spanners: The Fountain of Youth by Jonathan Maas dabbles in theories regarding the nature of time and how humans perceive it. Humans experience time linearly, living our lives from age one through whenever we die and aging as we go. Spanners, however, experience time differently. Some age backwards. Others do not age at all. Some age back and forth. And this non-linear experience with time and age gives Spanners a host of unique abilities.

Adam Parr is an 8,000 year old Spanner and detective who
Whitney
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
2.5 Personal Rating

Review written for and published by Portland Book Review on December 29th:

Spanners: The Fountain of Youth introduces a world similar to our own, with the addition of a race of beings called Spanners that live their lives with very different rules from our own. Some spanners die after falling in love only to be born again, some live their lives backwards, and others are immortal. One such immortal, Adam Parr, has caught wind that a dangerous and very old foe is back in the game
Amie's Book Reviews

Length: 371 pages

Genre: Science Fiction

Release Date:

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

* I received a free softcover copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book is simply BRILLIANT!

The story is unique and the characters are utterly fascinating.

"Spanners: Fountain of Youth" is a MUST READ book for lovers of Science Fiction as well as those who love alternative history stories.

Have yo
Jennifer Tooker
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it

Full Disclosure – I was provided a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review

Imagine having a lifespan of only six months? What would you do? What about being immortal? Would you use your time on earth for good or for ill?

These are the questions that face Spanners – people who do not live their lives sequentially but in differing timelines and with different abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Spanners often look normal and integrate with society but others tend to stay aw

• Interference
  • Water Memory (Aubrey Sentro, #1)
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
  • Wanderer - Tainted Universe (Wanderer's Odyssey #3)
  • Wanderer - Echoes of the Past (Wanderer's Odyssey, #2)
  • Lady of Perdition (Benjamin January, #17)
  • Fallout (V.I. Warshawski, #18)
  • The Old Guard #1
  • The Portal (An Alternative History Novel)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • Serpent Mage (The Death Gate Cycle, #4)
  • Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1)
  • Winged Decision (The Winged Trilogy)
  • Lilith's Brood (Xenogenesis, #1-3)
  • Top-Down Crochet Sweaters: Fabulous Patterns with Perfect Fit
  • Winged Descent (The Winged Trilogy, #1)
  • House of M
  • Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1)
Jon Maas was born in New Haven, Connecticut and grew up in San Antonio, Texas. After graduating from Stanford University with degrees in Biology and History, he's earned a living as a Musician, Peace Corps Volunteer, Standup Comedian, TV Producer and Web Designer.

He has published ten books, and has more on the way.

He has also directed the movie 'Spanners' starring Shawn Christian and Eric Roberts