Start by marking “Outshine” as Want to Read:

Outshine

When agoraphobic Gabe and his outgoing nemesis Jessa go on a moonlit road trip to locate Gabe’s missing brother, the two teens discover they are both hiding unnatural abilities: Gabe is a living lie detector and Jessa is a kick-ass powerhouse pretending to be a delicate diva.

Gabe’s sole reason for searching for Watts, his hot-tempered younger brother, is to clear his own n
Published April 11th 2014 by 7 Sparks Press

To ask other readers questions about Outshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outshine

❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I SOOOO didn't like the characters in this book. Time to commence with the ranting. I kept hoping the characters would turn into people I loved, but it just never happened for me. Perhaps this would appeal more to a high school age reader.

hate hate

Jessa is fake and stuck up. She thinks it's a "cover" to hide her ability. It's NOT. She doesn't like Gabe at all. She goes on and on about how annoying he is. Her friends are grating, bratty, and superficial.
stuck up bitches

Gabe gets barraged with horrible tastes, pain, and
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I was disappointed. Please let me explain why...

Gabe and Jessa are the POV characters for this book, but they are SO different. It's repeated every single chapter. Gabe is a weird loner, Jessa is supercool and popular. They would never ever hang out together. (But truth is they do). Did I mention just HOW different they are?

When Gabe's brother Watts goes missing, Gabe is at first relieved. Terrorized by his younger brother, he feels he
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Note: I was provided a copy of this book for review

Books like Outshine that start off great and only get greater are the little gems in the book world. I loved this book, I loved the concept and the idea behind what was happening and I loved everything from the start of the book until the final page. It is a great story that grabs you from the moment you start, not in exciting drama or anything initially, but through the characters, it's their voice and their actions that keep you reading. It gr
Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books
This is an enjoyable, light-hearted book. I really liked the characters in this book. Gabe is a human lie-detector and Jessa has super-human strength. I wasn't sure about Gabe at first. His brother goes missing and he's happy about it. I love my little sister so I thought that obviously Gabe is a douche. Well, turns out his brother is pretty awful. Like really awful.
I reminded myself I shouldn't feel happy that my brother was missing. Even though yesterday he glued all the pages of my math boo
Ian Wood
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here. Graphic and children's novels reviewed on the blog will generally have some images from the book's interior, which are not reproduced here.

Note that I don't really do stars. To me a novel is either worth reading or it isn't. I can't rate a nove
Emma Holtrust
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
SPOILERFREE

When you start reading Outshine, you enter a moment of “What the F is going on here?”. The reader is introduced to Gabe, who spits out a bunch of statistical data about history and the people in his class. How does he know the exact percentage of all of this? Why does he feel sick when he hears a lie? Why does he hate the girl behind him?

Turns out that Gabe can detect any lie - and can’t tell any lie himself, because it makes him physically sick. He is later referred to as a “spotter”
Blue
Outshine is a page-turner that starts out simple. Gabe is the older brother of Watson. Watson is popular. Gabe is a loner. They don’t like each other. And then there’s Jessa, who is popular and, well, shallow, and who hopes to kinda sorta date Watson. Then Watson goes missing. And it all gets from simple to complicated in a jiffy.

The novel is told from Gabe and Jessa’s alternating points of view, which helps to hear the stark difference in their approach to everyday life and their existence. Gab
Smaileh
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
When he is told that his younger brother has disappeared, Gabe is relieved and hopes that his brother never comes back. Though Gabe is the older by two years, Watts is an aggressive alpha male and has made Gabe's life a torment. But Gabe's mother is devastated by Watts' absence.

When she hears that Watts has disappeared, Jessa is disappointed since now all her planning to get Watts to take her to the Valentine's Day dance is now worthless.

Sounds like a typical teen angst style YA novel, doesn't i
Alma
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it

This review, as well as others, can be found on my blog: Journey Through Fiction

Outshine follows the story of Gabe and Jessa, two teenagers who have known of each other their whole lives, but float in different circles. Gabe is a walking lie-detector, who suffers from severe headaches and becomes ill whenever someone lies to him, or lies about anything. Jessa, on the other hand, is a walking lie. She has created the perfect, pretty, popular girl image to hide her true abilities: extreme strength
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a review copy of this book for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

Outshine was such a fun and entertaining story to read with likable characters, a solid plot, and excellent pacing. I love reading about characters with superhuman powers, so when I found out that's what this story was about, I knew I had to read it! There was even a mystery element with Watts's disappearance, what happened with Gabe and Watts's dad years ago, what happened with Jessa's parents years ago, an
Imogen
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20, for-review
When I was emailed about reviewing Outshine by Nola Decker* as part of the blog tour I was immediately excited, this is a YA Science Fiction novel which is a nice break from the usual dystopian and it just sounded great;

When agoraphobic Gabe and his outgoing nemesis Jessa go on a moonlit road trip to locate Gabe's missing brother, the two teens discover they are both hiding unnatural abilities: Gabe is a living lie detector and Jessa is a kick-ass powerhouse pretending to be a delicate diva.
Gab
Jen
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Outshine

Gabe Hearst has an unusual kind of...synesthesia? Well, actually there is no real case of a synesthete being able to detect lies, but when Gabe hears a lie, he tastes rust. And gets severe headaches. Since the common social lies (yeah, your hair looks great--love that outfit--no, your butt doesn't look big) and more serious lies of all kinds abound, Gabe's life is pretty uncomfortable. High school is a misery for him: in the halls, the lunch room, and worst of all for Gabe, in his histor
Mel (Reviews In A Pinch)
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Full Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from 7 Sparks Press, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts: Sometimes I think I read sci-fi/fantasy books because I wish it was all real. Therefore, I love reading books about people with supernatural abilities because I wish I had supernatural abilities. I could do without the drama though. As soon as I read the blurb for Outshine on Netgalley, I requested it.

Obviously I was interested in the story. Although I have to admit t
pdarnold
I received this from Netgalley for my review.

The book is from the view point of the two main characters, Jessa and Gabe. Almost always the chapters alternate back and forth. Geared toward the YA crowd. However, once again there is quite a bit of foul language, a lot of F___ bombs, which is for the most part (in my own personal opinion) so unnecessary. I think it takes away from the story rather than adding anything to it. I'm seeing more and more books for the YA genre where the kids sound like
MartyAnne
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A summary -- nothing here that isn't in the very beginning --

Meet Watson, Gabe and Jessa. Gabe sits in front of Jessa in history class, where she witnesses him displaying weird behavior --spasms and all --on a regular basis. He keeps to himself. You would too, if you had a physical reaction and taste every time someone around you lies. A super-ability to detect lies is part of who he is. Redemption of this horrible "allergy" is that after a lie, Gabe hears some of the truth. Of course he can't
Susan
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It starts out simple but what a page turner! Gabe is the older brother of Watson also known as Watts. Watts is popular while Gabe is not--he's also a loner. Jessamine is popular and wants Watts to take her to a dance. She wants him for her boyfriend.

Gabe has a gift in that he can always tell when one is lying besides reading minds. Jessamine has a special gift that makes her stronger and can run fast as the wind.

Watts disappears before Jessamine can get him alone to see if he
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
* I received this book from the publisher through Netgalley for an honest review *

First off, let me say that I wish the cover art was more compelling; it is a bit too simple for my taste and I wouldn't have even read the description based on that. But don't judge a book by its cover, right? :)

Anyway, this book was a fun read. You follow the story of Jessa and Gabe, two people from very different parts of the social chain, who unwittingly share a big secret. Gabe is a living lie-detector and Je
Aisha Reads Books
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2014, book-tour
I have to say until recently I've actually stayed away from Sci-Fi both in books and on television but this reminded me that clearly I'm making a big mistake.

The story starts with Gabe being told his brother is missing and being happy about it which at first I found a bit odd but honestly, we literally just have to meet Watts to be like "Nah, your initial assessment was spot on, carry on"
I liked that the truth about Gabe and Jessa was revealed very early on, there's nothing more I hate than havi
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
BLOG TOUR ON: http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.bl...

**I received a review copy from the author via Sage's Blog Tours**

A realistic and fresh new voice in the world of YA fiction.

Outshine started off as your typical teenage contemporary- a brother missing and the other feeling guilty for feeling happy that his sibling is missing. The one missing? He is perfect, popular and outgoing. The one that's still here? Is, well, not.

Gabriel is agoraphobic, or so the most acceptable psychological term woul
Samantha Savage
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm always a sucker for a good teen novel and this one was no exception. Ms Decker creates a vibrant alternate reality that is both engaging and real enough to have you suspending your disbelief and just enjoying the ride. Following a host of teenage characters as they discover the source of their unique abilities and battle dubious scientists, the story nicely weaves together teen drama, action, and fantasy. I initially had my doubts about whether I was going to like the female lead but I quick ...more
Helen
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is a real page-turner! Narrated in turn by its two main characters, Jessa, a girl with superhuman strength, and Gabe, a boy with the uncanny ability to distinguish truth from lies, OUTSHINE is the story of two teens who are struggling to understand who and what they are as they fight against the forces that seek to control them. The action never stops, and Nola Decker's clean, clear prose will keep you reading compulsively to the end.

One of the things I liked best about this book was t
Sage Adderley-Knox
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gabe is one of the main teen characters and I liked him right away. I enjoyed his seemingly simple nature (that changes) and his humor. He doesn’t have a very good relationship with his brother Watts and doesn’t care too much about his disappearance until he becomes a suspect. Schoolmate Jessa joins Gabe to look for Watts. I have to be honest and say that Jessa’s personality was kind of a turn-off, but she definitely grew on me throughout the story and won me over in the end.

These teens have spe
Annelien
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, supernatural
A very nice YA novel with a superhero twist.

Gabe is an outsider who gets headaches when someone lies. Jessa is a popular girl who hides superstrength. They team up to find Gabe's missing brother...

It was clear from the start that Nola Decker set out to write a realistic YA novel. There is a romantic plot, but it's gradual and nobody gets married after an hour. There are doubts and the teenagers are worried about normal things (school, homework, classmates, crushes) while they're in supernatura
Sarah Yung
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Formulaic but fun romp. I unabashedly read almost any superpower-centric YA books I can get my hands on, and this followed the whole experiment-endowing-powers explanation. The main characters Gabe Hearst, human lie detector, and Jessa Beech, possessor of super strength, were intelligent and likable enough, though I would've liked a little more depth. The romance was predictable but sweet.

The writing was alright for the most part, but there was one line that I really did not enjoy--"Something in
Lynndell
Thanks to NetGalley and 7 Sparks Press for the arc of Outshine by Nola Decker. A fun science fiction read, Outshine contains action, humor and dynamic characters. Gabe has a lie detecting skill, which he calls his allergy because he gets a headache every time someone near him tells a lie. Jessa is super hero strong and speedy. This makes her enjoy violence a little too much. Outshine is told in alternating points of view between Gabe and Jessa. The alternating pov makes reading this book more en ...more
Readfiend
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gabe suffers from an "allergy" that lets him know when someone is lying. Suffering from headaches and nausea while going through a normal day at Galton High, he keeps to himself. Gabe is surprised when Jessa, the popular, shallow, girl in his history class approaches him. Their relationship begins with a task to find Watts, Gabe's brother who has gone missing. Not only does Gabe realize that he has been "designed" to be the way he is,but so Jessa. They grow close, but the romance doesn't really ...more
Collette
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
*I received a complimentary e-book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review*

Overall, I enjoyed Outshine despite my 3/5 star rating. I would say my rating is closer to 3.5, but it didn't quite make it to 4/5 stars and here's one reason why: the love triangle. It seems that recently that a lot YA books do this and it's getting pretty tiring.

The pacing in the beginning was also kind of a downfall for me. I didn't feel very absorbed with the story or the characters, but luckily, it started
This books
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

This book as an unique storyline, with loads of mystery and drama, fun and the characters are interesting.

Gabe is an human lie detector whenever someone tells a lie, he gets symptoms of an allergic reaction. After his brother Watts mysteriously goes missing Jessa and Gabe decide to find him.
Jessa and Gabe find out they have more in common than they thought.

Jessa has a super power on strength, Gabe and Jessa compliment each other well.

I initially had my doubts about whether I was going to like t
Juliana Rose
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this as a first reads giveaway.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was fun, unique, and immensely readable.

I oftentimes find characters in books like these hard to relate to and honestly, a little bit annoying. I often find the dialogue of teenagers in books cheesy and not realistic. Everyone in this book was likeable and relatable as an actual human being. Even Jessa, who is a bit of a brat, is so well crafted I found myself liking her more than I thought.

Once I st
Kirsti Call
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

What I liked: This story is intriguing. The mystery behind the main characters, the action and the plot were compelling. I felt like I knew the characters and despite their obvious flaws, they were likable.

What I didn't like: There was some swearing that I didn't think was necessary to the characters or the plot.

Overall this was fun story about super powers. Who doesn't like a good super hero story?
  • Niko
  • Amaranthine: The Heart of Decompose
  • Behind the Stars, Complete Series (Behind the Stars, #1-6)
  • Unleashed
  • Ripper (The Riser Saga, #3)
  • The Boy From The Woods
  • Family Heir: A Bigfoot Novel
  • Hex (The Evolution, #3)
  • Buried in New Orleans (Ripsters #3)
  • The Polaris Uprising (Polaris, #1)
  • Not Enough
  • ProtoStar (The Star-Crossed Saga)
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • Queen & Commander (Hive Queen Saga #1)
  • Intangible (Piercing the Veil, #1)
  • Hand of Miriam (Bayla and the Golem, #1)
  • The League of Delphi (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
Nola Decker is the only writer in Seattle who doesn't drink coffee. She had a very happy and healthy childhood and she makes up for that by writing stories in which terrible things happen to young people. She loves salted caramel anything and Fridays.